Question about a checking account

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Davyvfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Davyvfr
Member since 2008 • 789 Posts

It would be great if someone could answer this:

Long story short, I purchased an app on Itunes that I did not have enough money for and noticed that after I purchased it. The charge went through and I owe originally $8.64. I never payed it, so I could not use the App store or update. Now, the charge posted to my checking account (a month later) and I have a negative available balance. Please Note: I do not have overdraft service. Which means the charge SHOULD have been declined as there was not enough. So why did Apple let it go through? Will I be charged an overdraft if I don't have overdraft protection?

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Because you don't have over draft protection your bank let it through and will probably charge you a $15-35 fee for insufficient funds.

OD protection doesn't prevent charges from going through, it only waivers the fee. It's your typical bank scam. But thanks to new wall street regulations, banks aren't allowed charge an exorbitant fee for a negative balance based on a certain threshold. If they haven't charged you yet, then $8 may have been just under the threshold.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Nothing is payed (nonexistant word) for, but is paid for.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

WhiteKnight77
Nonexistant is not a word.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dave123321

Because you don't have over draft protection your bank let it through and will probably charge you a $15-35 fee for insufficient funds.

OD protection doesn't prevent charges from going through, it only waivers the fee. It's your typical bank scam. But thanks to new wall street regulations, banks aren't allowed charge an exorbitant fee for a negative balance based on a certain threshold. If they haven't charged you yet, then $8 may have been just under the threshold.

Blue-Sky
Pretty much
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WhiteKnight77

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

dave123321

How about nonexistent?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dave123321

[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

WhiteKnight77

How about nonexistent?

Yeah
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

1: don't buy stuff you dont have money for...

2: overdraft protection isn't something that declines charges.

3: when you overdraft a account. bank WILL try hit you with overdraft fee

4: in this case it is your fault, but if you B.... enough they take it off but then again you have no money lol and reality you costing them money keeping your account open. it's esimated it cost around 500 bucks to keep account open

5: get a credit card

Davyvfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Davyvfr

Blue-Sky
Thanks for the response, do you think this is a daily charge if its not payed?
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Back in my day if you didn't have enough funds in your bank account your card simply got declined, what happened to that?
Davyvfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Davyvfr
Back in my day if you didn't have enough funds in your bank account your card simply got declined, what happened to that? Fightingfan
Exactly, why didn't this happen? I was told when I got my card if it did not have enough funds, the card would be declined. This is because I opted OUT of overdraft protection.
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

dave123321

Also, there shouldn't be a comma.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WhiteKnight77

[QUOTE="dave123321"]Nonexistant is not a word.dodgerblue13
Also, there shouldn't be a comma.

Rule 12

Use a comma to separate two strong clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction--and, or, but, for, nor. You can omit the comma if the clauses are both short.Linked Article

Source

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Davyvfr

Depends on the bank. They could charge you monthly or more than likely just close the account.

Davyvfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Davyvfr

[QUOTE="Davyvfr"][QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Blue-Sky

Depends on the bank. They could charge you monthly or more than likely just close the account.

Ok, thanks. I will contact my bank tomorrow. I am just slightly upset in the way that the bank let the transaction go through. I read they will not close the account unless its unpaid for 30 days.
JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JoGoSo
Member since 2012 • 441 Posts

Blue-Sky
There's actually several different types of overdraft protect. One is Courtesy Pay where the bank pays charges that come in so they won't get declined at the store and still charges the overdraft fee. This was what the whole "opt-in/opt-out" requirements were about last year.
JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JoGoSo
Member since 2012 • 441 Posts

It would be great if someone could answer this:

Long story short, I purchased an app on Itunes that I did not have enough money for and noticed that after I purchased it. The charge went through and I owe originally $8.64. I never payed it, so I could not use the App store or update. Now, the charge posted to my checking account (a month later) and I have a negative available balance. Please Note: I do not have overdraft service. Which means the charge SHOULD have been declined as there was not enough. So why did Apple let it go through? Will I be charged an overdraft if I don't have overdraft protection?

Davyvfr
This is confusing me but it sounds like you had the app which means that Apple would have the right to collect and they took the opportunity to get it when there was a little money in the account (They don't know if you have money or not but will run the transaction to see if it's approved). Available balance is not the same as actual balance and it's possible that you have a charge from a debit card that pending and ready to go through right around the time that Apple was taking the funds too. There is often a delay of up to a few days when doing debit card transactions. When they all officially post is when you'll get the overdraft fee.
howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

I thought they passed a law saying it was illegal for banks to charge overdraft fees unless you opted in? Or that may only apply to credit cards. I forget.

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

I can force a declination of any charge that would otherwise exceed my available funds. Not sure who you bank with but it might be a possibility. My debit card essentially works like cash. If I don't have it, I can't spend it.