Quantum Leap VS Doctor Who

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

uninspiredcup  Online

Poll Quantum Leap VS Doctor Who (7 votes)

Quantum Leap 71%
Doctor Who 29%

Both of these shows have a very similar premise. A pacifist time traveller with his companion influencing the time-line for the better. Typically taking place in small-scale story, alot of the themes and ideas of the show overlap.

Quantum Leap being wholly on earth, with no aliens, with a "magical element", directly taking control of a character, and Doctor Who learning more towards fantasy, typically with a villain of the week.

Doctor Who was cancelled multiple times. Including a planned cancellation when David Tennant left, but still seems endless.

Quantum Leap was prematurely cancelled because NBC heads disliked it. It's original season final, tuned into a definitive final.

The reboot of Doctor Who aimed it more towards family viewing, with the shows production values rising as time went on. No more cardboard sets. Moving on from writer to writer, now in another era with Jodie Whittaker.

Including the "Classicg Who", which of these shows were better?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I've actually never seen Quantum Leap before, but am aware of the premise. I sort of doubt I will ever get around to watching it.

I watched Doctor Who for a while, I joined in on the new series around 2010 and backtracked to the 2005 start, then watched up through the first season with Peter Capaldi. David Tennant will probably remain my favorite Doctor, but I thought the others all found their groove by the end of their run. I don't know if Capaldi did or not since I only saw his first season, but I thought that season sucked big-time in the writing department. I sort of doubt I will ever get around to catching up on that show, watching old seasons, or watching the current season with the female Doctor.

To answer your question... I'm not sure. But I kind of like the concept of a character who can take control of new bodies, or regenerate into new people. I had no idea there was a show with anything remotely like that for over two decades of my life. I probably would have found out sooner if that Doctor Who 90's cartoon had been produced and aired on a US cartoon channel.

I like magic more than sci-fi. But I think Doctor Who was probably the OG of the two. I guess that still answers nothing.

One really odd movie that I've always sort of liked is Being John Malkovich. The movie is about people finding a doorway on a secret floor of a building between two other floors, and crawling through the doorway to wind up inside of the head of the actor John Malkovich, seeing the world through his eyes for a while before being ejected onto the New Jersey Turnpike. Eventually the main characters learn out to manipulate John Malkovich's body and gain control of him. The film (spoiler alert) ends with a group of elderly people "moving in" to John's brain to live prolonged lives, and then making plans to eventually "move in" to his infant daughter who he had with one of the other characters.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58936 Posts

If you like Doctor Who you'll probably enjoy Quantum Leap. It was a really well written show.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

I went with Quantum Leap because it was much more modern.

Dr Who, new and old were very camp. I mean you should see K9 the dog. I would say the new Dr Who had roughly equivalent production values for it's time to the 60's episodes, when they were made. The cgi was quite funny really. Comedian's played bad guys. It wasn't really as good as the first. Something was missing in the execution and it felt a bit forced as if it had something to prove for fan's and suffered for it, and being too popularist.

The original Dr Who episodes were incredibly dark for the time. The use of synthesisers and properly scary baddies (not all of them) were kind of ground breaking in the tv sci-fi genre. The new one was much less rough but more like a homage than it's own thing.

Quantum Leap could have gone on to explore more interesting themes than the new Dr Who ended up exploring (I hated it).

Lol. I sound so serious. Quantum Leap is based on planet Earth exclusively so was much more grounded in reality and with slick production, whereas Dr Who plays to it's hockey camp nature and is quite tongue in cheek so it's hard to compare them.

Personally I preferred Fringe to both of the above but Quantum Leap was aswomesome and the soundtrack was awesome.

Loading Video...

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

I liked and watched Quantum leap. I remember seeing Dr. Who once when I was a kid and thinking it looked like it was filmed on a high school stage. Never gave it another chance.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Dr Who and Quantum Leap have two very different premises and besides being sci-fi they have nothing to do with each other.

So not sure why anyone would compare the two, it would be like comparing Leap to Star Trek TNG

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@Jacanuk said:

Dr Who and Quantum Leap have two very different premises

Not really.

The only major difference story-wise is the introduction of extraterritorial elements. Which serves as an excuse to present a moral conundrum by creating conflict. In Sams case it's leaping, which servers to put him in different awkward positions to create moral conundrums.

Both the Doctor and Sam, aside from being scientists, are pacifists, opting to solve things diplomatically whenever possible.

They both opt for small scale moral tales because it;s cheaper. Almost every Doctor Who Adventure takes place in London, in some form or another, and Sam predominately "nobody" characters, it isnt until later seasons in attempts to boost ratings it started leaning towards famous events.

Similarly, they both have a Master. In The Doctor Case, it's... the Master, in Sams case it's Zoey, an evil leaper trying to change time for the worst. With both thinly veiled form of Moriarty.

While the Doctor uses the tardis/screwdriver as a tool, Sam is guided by Ziggy, the difference being it's used by his companion, Al.

Much like Doctor Who, due to the nature of "go anywhere any time", Quantum Leap has an almost "anything goes"quality to it, at one point leaping into a monkey. Another a child suffering from retardation , or Elvis, or Lee Harvey Oswald etc...

Doctor Who is less restrictive on time and place. But large swaves do take place in Britain for budgetary reasons.

It also tends to change due to sheer longevity. Although the Doctor is now a pacifist, in the opening epidoes he tried to bash a cave-mans head open. Went from a grumpy old man, to wacky uncle,

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jacanuk

@uninspiredcup said:
@Jacanuk said:

Dr Who and Quantum Leap have two very different premises

Not really.

Yes really.

It´s pretty stupid to compare the two to be fair.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@Jacanuk said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Not really.

Yes really

Na,

Further reading -

https://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2011/05/tv_genre_smackdown_quantum_leap_vs_doctor_who/

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jacanuk

@uninspiredcup said:
@Jacanuk said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Not really.

Yes really.

Na, only if you're looking at it on a completely shallow level.

Further reading -

https://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2011/05/tv_genre_smackdown_quantum_leap_vs_doctor_who/

Thanks for your blog site, but I still have to disagree

Dr.Who is a sci-fi masterpiece and while the first run before it´s cancellation was riddled with studio sets and low-cost production, the new series 1-12 is much higher production value and also have great writing.

Leap was a typical 80´s sci-fi show and is not more different than a lot of others, like the show with the guy and his clock which IMO is much closer to dr.who than Leap ever was. Especially the body jumping made Leap a horrible plot line and it´s no wonder it got cancelled when it did.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@Jacanuk said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Jacanuk said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Not really.

Yes really.

Na, only if you're looking at it on a completely shallow level.

Further reading -

Thanks for your blog site, but I still have to disagree

Dr.Who is a sci-fi masterpiece

Na. Doctor Who has alot of shit episodes if we're being honest, it has some spectacular episodes, Heaven Sent being, amazing. And similarly Remembrance of the Daleks, but Quantum Leap was usually more consistent in quality. We aren't just talking "because Doctor Who was longer", even season to season it jumps up and down. Even directly after Heaven Sent, we got Hell Bent, which is straight up garbage.

Heaven Sent works because, like all good Doctor Who stories, strip away the monsters and you have a well explored theme, in that's case, perseverance taken to the absolute extreme.

I'm also not keen on how they changed the character of the Doctor. Part of this is down to Moffitt. Like Sherlock homes he's turned into an onbnoixcus prick where everyone tells him he's great.

Everyone with a penis is raging about Jodie Whittaker, but it actually dialled that back, even though she's "teh woman", she feels far closer to the classic series. Even though alot fo the episodes she's been in, have been abit on the crap side, especially the finale.

@Jacanuk said:

Leap was a typical 80´s sci-fi show and is not more different than a lot of others, like the show with the guy and his clock which IMO is much closer to dr.who than Leap ever was. Especially the body jumping made Leap a horrible plot line and it´s no wonder it got cancelled when it did.

There really wasn't any shows like Quantum Leap. About the closest thing outside of Doctor Who would be Sliders, which that was absolutely shlock in comparison.

Not sure how you think the body leap it was bad, like the Tardis it opens it up for the writers to explore whatever they feel like week to week. It's a pretty fantastic way of being creative on-a-budget.