Pull-ups? (Exercise advice)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RatchetV1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 RatchetV1
Member since 2005 • 2271 Posts

Okay, so I just started working out recently. I'm 17. I've been generally overweight my life but i've been losing weight lately. I used to not be able to do Push-ups, I can do those fine now. Sit-ups, same.. but Pull-ups I just can't do.

What should I work on to help myself be able to do Pull-ups?

Avatar image for TroubleMaker411
TroubleMaker411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 TroubleMaker411
Member since 2009 • 1445 Posts

Okay, so I just started working out recently. I'm 17. I've been generally overweight my life but i've been losing weight lately. I used to not be able to do Push-ups, I can do those fine now. Sit-ups, same.. but Pull-ups I just can't do.

What should I work on to help myself be able to do Pull-ups?

RatchetV1

the best thing i found when i was getting fit was not to worry about the number of reps, but the number of sets.

If you can do 2 pull ups, to 5 sets of 2 reps.

then 6

then 7

then 7 sets of 3 reps

then 8 then 9

and so on.

It's called getting fit, not being fit.

If you are able to do 10 sets of 12 reps, there is no need to work on your pull ups!

Take it easy, it'll happen sooner than you think if you just push a little harder each time

RatchetV1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 RatchetV1
Member since 2005 • 2271 Posts

Haha. See now the thing is, I literally CAN'T do a Pull-up. I guess I have to work on my upper-body strength.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

@TroubleMaker411
He said he can't even do one.

You can use a chair to help you 'cheat' till you are able to do them on your own

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Do half pull ups (stand on a stool or whatever and slowly lower yourself down or up each time) until you can do full ones.

Avatar image for TroubleMaker411
TroubleMaker411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 TroubleMaker411
Member since 2009 • 1445 Posts

@TroubleMaker411
He said he can't even do one.

You can use a chair to help you 'cheat' till you are able to do them on your own

rawsavon

LMAO!

He wasn't specific, so i assumed that it was the same problem most people have of not being able to do many.

But to be honest, if you have the strength to do push ups, you should have the upper body strength to pull 2 chin-ups.

But ok.

A couple of extra ideas.

the chair works reat for some. for others, try a lower bar. jump to the pulled position and work on slowing down the speed that you go down. this works your upper body without straining to lift yourself

Masterx1220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Masterx1220
Member since 2005 • 2426 Posts

my advice to you man is to do negative pull ups. a negative pull up is where you start in the "pulled up" position and lower yourself down slowly (try for a ten second count) then use a chair to get back up again and repeat the process

Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

Find a machine that "reduces" your body weight by adding resistance against your body as it goes down. Or if that isn't an option start doing dead lifts / rows to build up back strength and continue to drop weight until you can.

Someone mentioned negative pull up which is good too if you have no option for gym equipment / weights.

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

What you need to do is start with Lateral Pull Downs and Assisted Pull Ups.

For lateral pull downs use different grip variations for sets of 3 sets of 10 at a weight you can manage for assisted pull ups either use one of those machine things that uses weight to leverage your body or have a partner or a friend help you. BUT on the assisted pull ups only do a few reps like 2-5 and do more sets once you can do a few pull ups on your own start doing sets of 2-5 but about 6-10 sets with minute recovery in time then each week add one rep. Every time it's your pull up day challenge yourself to do one more pull up, or one more set than last time. Eventually you can start using pull ups as a warm up to other strength training activities or a cool down. I love doing pull ups before and after my routines. Same with push ups.

Eventually you'll be doing sets of 10 pull ups with 50-100 pounds attached to your waist(at least I can, I don't know about you).

Scarface_tm431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Scarface_tm431
Member since 2004 • 10063 Posts
Start off not going all the way down nor all the way up, then after about a week or two (depending how often you work out) start going lower and higher. When you're first starting use your body momentum to pull yourself up
EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
Start off not going all the way down nor all the way up, then after about a week or two (depending how often you work out) start going lower and higher. When you're first starting use your body momentum to pull yourself upScarface_tm431
I don't recommend this advice. Train with your full range of motion, and don't be using momentum. That's not building strength.
J-WOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 J-WOW
Member since 2010 • 3105 Posts
Your arms, shoulders, and chest are too weak. Get them stronger. Also, LOL you cant do a pull up? I do them all the time easily and I dont work out at all and Im actually pretty skinnny but real lazy. I tryed working out but I stopped not becuz I could do it, it was becuz I got lazy and didnt feel like doing them anymore, but back when I had weight training in High school I did everything and people could believe a skinny kid like me could bech 145