Problem with smartphone notches?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Arsality294

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Edited By Arsality294
Member since 2018 • 19 Posts

I really don't see peoples problem with notches(well, small ones anyway). You can disable the notch in developer settings. So, the possibilities with your notchless phone are no notch and no notch. However with a phone that has a notch, you could have notch or no notch(by disabling it). I'm not saying that the notch is a good thing or anything, I'm just saying that it's not a problem because I heard some people saying "yeah the pocophone f1 is amazing for the price but it has a notch so I'm just gonna buy an older phone for the same price." And I just thought that was really stupid so I'm coming on here to see if anyone could explain what the big problem is.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@arsality294 said:

I really don't see peoples problem with notches(well, small ones anyway). You can disable the notch in developer settings. So, the possibilities with your notchless phone are no notch and no notch. However with a phone that has a notch, you could have notch or no notch(by disabling it). I'm not saying that the notch is a good thing or anything, I'm just saying that it's not a problem because I heard some people saying "yeah the pocophone f1 is amazing for the price but it has a notch so I'm just gonna buy an older phone for the same price." And I just thought that was really stupid so I'm coming on here to see if anyone could explain what the big problem is.

You use the word "notch" nearly a dozen times in this post but you haven't explained what a notch is.

-Byshop

Arsality294

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Arsality294

@Byshop: The majority of people know, and anyone who's into phones definitely knows, but if you are unaware you could just look it up. Google images will show it, but if you don't know what is is then there are other things in the post that you wouldn't get

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Byshop  Moderator

@arsality294 said:

@Byshop: The majority of people know, and anyone who's into phones definitely knows, but if you are unaware you could just look it up. Google images will show it, but if you don't know what is is then there are other things in the post that you wouldn't get

I had already looked, but what I found in a google search doesn't seem to match your description, so maybe in keeping with the rules of this forum try to be a bit more descriptive. This is a video gaming forum, not a forum for mobile devices.

-Byshop

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

What are smartphone notches?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

What are notches?

Craigslist_org

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Craigslist_org
Member since 2018 • 43 Posts

What is notches?

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

I googled what smartphone notches are and now know what they are. Boy oh boy doesn't the Xiaomi Pocophone f1 have a strong resemblance to the iPhone X onwards. I am a bit confused about what you're saying.

All I can say is, I slightly have a problem with notched smartphones, I just think it's in the way. In a few years time, I envision smartphones be notchless.

Craigslist_org

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 Craigslist_org
Member since 2018 • 43 Posts

Omg Dai call your man instead of stalking!

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts

it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if i was buying a phone. but it looks silly. im a bit more industrial in my preference for a phones looks though: function before form.

i dont get this obsession with screen:bezel ratios and trying to get the screen to take up as much of the front as possible. the notch seems like a dirty hack to boast about an improved ratio. its a solution looking for a problem.

i have heard that someone (maybe samsung) has cameras that can work from behind the screen though (a bit like the under screen fingerprint readers) so its probably a temporary workaround.

still my ideal phone in terms of form factor is the fairphone 2. not stylish but everything is easy to replace and repair and upgrade. or project ara i think it was called (the modualr concept phone) i would love to see that more widely adopted in the phone industry.

Arsality294

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Arsality294

@Byshop said:
@arsality294 said:

I had already looked, but what I found in a google search doesn't seem to match your description, so maybe in keeping with the rules of this forum try to be a bit more descriptive. This is a video gaming forum, not a forum for mobile devices.

-Byshop

It's off topic forum

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Byshop  Moderator

@arsality294 said:
@Byshop said:
@arsality294 said:

-Byshop

It's off topic forum

Which is why I haven't locked this thread, but the point remains that you made an account on a video gaming forum to complain about a mobile phone feature. Are you actually interested in discussing this topic? So far all you've done is argue about why you shouldn't explain yourself instead of actually addressing anything anyone has said.

-Byshop

Arsality294

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Arsality294

@Byshop: This is my only off topic post, but one guy actually answered and it should have been just that and i wanted only people who know what it is to answer. For example if someone went on a gaming post and said "what's a controller?" You wouldn't really care about their opinion if they knew that little about gaming.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Byshop  Moderator

@arsality294 said:

@Byshop: This is my only off topic post, but one guy actually answered and it should have been just that and i wanted only people who know what it is to answer. For example if someone went on a gaming post and said "what's a controller?" You wouldn't really care about their opinion if they knew that little about gaming.

While the question would be unusual (again, video game forum) I would answer the question because that's the kind of community we try to maintain here. Taking an attitude when someone asks you a simple question about your post isn't a great start, and if you'd prefer to argue that point rather than discussing your own topic then I'd say we can call this one done.

-Byshop