Practically the entire NYPD on strike. Arrests plummet 66%

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

Source.

It sure seems like NYC is on the verge of anarchy, especially since the crime rate will probably skyrocket from the lack of law enforcement.

It’s not a slowdown — it’s a virtual work stoppage.

NYPD traffic tickets and summonses for minor offenses have dropped off by a staggering 94 percent following the execution of two cops — as officers feel betrayed by the mayor and fear for their safety, The Post has learned.

The dramatic drop comes as Police Commissioner Bill Bratton and Mayor Bill de Blasio plan to hold an emergency summit on Tuesday with the heads of the five police unions to try to close the widening rift between cops and the administration.

The unprecedented meeting is being held at the new Police Academy in Queens at 2 p.m., sources said.

Angry union leaders have ordered drastic measures for their members since the Dec. 20 assassination of two NYPD cops in a patrol car, including that two units respond to every call.

It has helped contribute to a nose dive in low-level policing, with overall arrests down 66 percent for the week starting Dec. 22 compared with the same period in 2013, stats show.

Citations for traffic violations fell by 94 percent, from 10,069 to 587, during that time frame.

Summonses for low-level offenses like public drinking and urination also plunged 94 percent — from 4,831 to 300.

Even parking violations are way down, dropping by 92 percent, from 14,699 to 1,241.

Drug arrests by cops assigned to the NYPD’s Organized Crime Control Bureau — which are part of the overall number — dropped by 84 percent, from 382 to 63.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

I'm reminded of the original Robocop ...

Loading Video...

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

There you go de Blasio, your union buddies are calling. Hopes he chokes on it and hopefully another nail on the public sector unions' coffin.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

If the NYPD stops responding to violent crimes then we may have a problem.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

This will certainly help gain back the trust of the people of New York!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

What a bunch of morons. It always makes me uncomfortable at the thought of essential public service workers being allowed to go on strike. It happened a few years ago here where the postal service went on strike for a significant amount of time and cost our provincial economy a lot of money.

also took longer to get my Amazon packages. jerks

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

The incidence of violent crime will plummet, now that the main perpetrators of it are on strike. :-D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Was it MrGeezer who said this kind of shit was going to start happening?

This is what happens when cops feel like the public is out to get them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
@magicalclick said:

@Aljosa23:

That's not nice. You sound like public workers should be treated like slaves just so you can have better life.

lol pls. Workers in the public sector have on average way better benefits and pay than others. For instance, one benefit of being a cop means you are exempt from being indicted for gunning down unarmed civilians.

I also work in the public sector, specifically healthcare

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

People already have trouble trusting the police.

This will only make things worse

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

Reading further into what's been stopped/slowed, this doesn't sound too bad. The lack of traffic law enforcement seems to be the worst, particularly if word of this slowdown causes increased risky behavior, but it's not exactly anarchy in the streets.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@mattbbpl said:

Reading further into what's been stopped/slowed, this doesn't sound too bad. The lack of traffic law enforcement seems to be the worst, particularly if word of this slowdown causes increased risky behavior, but it's not exactly anarchy in the streets.

The thread title makes it out to be MUCH worse than it actually is.

A lot of it also has to do with some policy the police unions put in place that basically results in longer response times.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

I don't agree with this. The Eric Garner and Michael Brown cases and the murder of the two NYPD officers are entirely different situations that require different responses. While I don't agree with Eric Garner's or Michael Brown's innocence, the militarization and tactics the police use are major issues that need to be confronted.

While, it's immature to bash police when they're doing their job and enforcing the, when it comes to condemning the inappropriate use of force and tactics (SWAT raids and NYPD stop-and-frisk), it's not unreasonably bashing the NYPD, it's legitimate criticism against a police force using outdated and unconstitutional tactics.

To add on: DeBlasio has done more for the NYPD and did not incite riots against the police officers. The NYPD does not set policy, the democratically elected mayor along with the support of New Yorkers do. The NYPD has no ground to argue on and why they insist on enforcing such idiotic practices is a wonder.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mattbbpl

@airshocker said:
@mattbbpl said:

A lot of it also has to do with some policy the police unions put in place that basically results in longer response times.

Now that people can do shots of tequila in public on the hoods of their double parked cars, society may just collapse entirely.

Perhaps I should schedule a weekend trip...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@mattbbpl said:

@airshocker said:
@mattbbpl said:

Now that people can do shots of tequila in public on the hoods of their double parked cars, society may just collapse entirely.

You were right, though, the worst thing in that entire article is the traffic enforcement. I've been hearing stories of people being stuck by their cars for a few hours because of the response time.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@airshocker said:

@mattbbpl said:

@airshocker said:
@mattbbpl said:

You were right, though, the worst thing in that entire article is the traffic enforcement. I've been hearing stories of people being stuck by their cars for a few hours because of the response time.

Well for a moment it will be like living in europe a little bit.

Don't know about traffic offenses though. We got some nasty fines here for speeding and drunk driving, but you won't go to jail for that.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mattbbpl

@airshocker said: You were right, though, the worst thing in that entire article is the traffic enforcement. I've been hearing stories of people being stuck by their cars for a few hours because of the response time.

No doubt. That endangers the public's safety unnecessarily which isn't something I can condone nevertheless support.

What's the deal with the response time? What union change is that attributable to?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@mattbbpl said:

@airshocker said: You were right, though, the worst thing in that entire article is the traffic enforcement. I've been hearing stories of people being stuck by their cars for a few hours because of the response time.

No doubt. That endangers the public's safety unnecessarily which isn't something I can condone nevertheless support.

What's the deal with the response time? What union change is that attributable to?

From what my buddies in the NYPD are telling me, they are only allowed to take one call -- job -- at a time now. They used to be able to queue them up (Up to five) and respond to other calls when it was appropriate. Like, for instance, if they get a relatively minor traffic incident they wouldn't be able to put that back on the queue and go to another one. Obviously if there's a higher priority crime in progress they are required to go to that higher priority crime, but it's making the traffic division fucked up.

Also, the union has mandated that two police cars respond to every crime.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@mattbbpl said:

@airshocker said:
@mattbbpl said:

Don't know about traffic offenses though. We got some nasty fines here for speeding and drunk driving, but you won't go to jail for that.

I'm referring to accidents and the like, not traffic crimes.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 commander

@airshocker said:
@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@mattbbpl said:

@airshocker said:
@mattbbpl said:

I'm referring to accidents and the like, not traffic crimes.

oh that's right, that's a crime over there i forgot

a lot of crimes will be happening tonight for sure

but that's tomorrow for you isn't it

because we truly live in different dimensions do we

I gotta time travel to get where you live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@evildead6789 said:

Getting into an accident isn't a crime. Causing an accident can be.

So before you try and act all high and mighty you should probably know exactly what you're talking about.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By commander

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

So before you try and act all high and mighty you should probably know exactly what you're talking about.

i mentioned drunk driving and speeding, you mentioned crime

Reading the conversation it seems you were referring to drunk driving and speeding as crimes.

And since you do jail people that drive drunk, it seems that drunk driving is a crime over there, here it isn't, you cannnot never get jailed here for drunk driving and speeding even after numerous offenses, you will lose your driver licences though and you'll be fined through the nose.

I'm not acting high and mighty, your society just regulates this differently.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

What a bunch of morons. It always makes me uncomfortable at the thought of essential public service workers being allowed to go on strike. It happened a few years ago here where the postal service went on strike for a significant amount of time and cost our provincial economy a lot of money.

Maybe it'll teach cop haters a lesson when crime sky rockets.

na.....they're not a group that learns things.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

i mentioned drunk driving and speeding, you mentioned crime

Reading the conversation it seems you were referring to drunk driving and speeding as crimes.

And since you do jail people that drive drunk, it seems that drunk driving is a crime over there, here it isn't, you cannnot never get jailed here for drunk driving and speeding even after numerous offenses, you will lose your driver licences though and you'll be fined through the nose.

I'm not acting high and mighty, your society just regulates this differently.

No, I was referring to traffic accidents, as I just told you. I'm not sure how you could miss that since it was the first sentence of my second to last post.

If you are blatantly going to ignore the things I tell you why do you even bother to talk to me? It makes no sense.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

who knew cops were such pussies.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@Aljosa23 said:

lmao "teach a lesson". Yeah, you're definitely going to sway people who don't like you by being patronizing and acting like they are children. /s

Dawg9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dawg9000
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts

Cop haters?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205000792287061

Yea, not hate, warranted anger. That's all the city needed to do to get these fucking glorified tax collectors off our backs, kill 2 dumbass cops stupid enough to eat lunch in a squad car on the corner of Tompkins and Myrtle? (Bedstuy) When the whole colored community is pissed at you, and you have casual lunch in your squad car 6 blocks from the precinct, it's just dumb. NYC's taxes are already high as hell, so they just get cops to ticket any and everything for revenue. Don't understand how people can justify 6 officers responding to tax evasion with an arrest and accidentally killing the guy. He was selling cigarettes, and now he's dead. Officer got acquitted, Mayor tells his son to watch out and he doesn't advocate blatant brutality and HE'S THE ASSHOLE? **** the NYPD, biggest gang in this city. 6 unions for a police force, anyone on the cops side in this is a fuckin joke.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Dawg9000 said:

Cop haters?

Yea, not hate, warranted anger. That's all the city needed to do to get these fucking glorified tax collectors off our backs, kill 2 dumbass cops stupid enough to eat lunch in a squad car on the corner of Tompkins and Myrtle? (Bedstuy) When the whole colored community is pissed at you, and you have casual lunch in your squad car 6 blocks from the precinct, it's just dumb. NYC's taxes are already high as hell, so they just get cops to ticket any and everything for revenue. Don't understand how people can justify 6 officers responding to tax evasion with an arrest and accidentally killing the guy. He was selling cigarettes, and now he's dead. Officer got acquitted, Mayor tells his son to watch out and he doesn't advocate blatant brutality and HE'S THE ASSHOLE? **** the NYPD, biggest gang in this city. 6 unions for a police force, anyone on the cops side in this is a fuckin joke.

Show some respect. Two cops were murdered. It doesn't matter what your opinion is on the matter, calling them "dumbass cops" is extremely disrespectful.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#31 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Kevlar101: Why the hell are they one strike... Perhaps instead of their own safety they should concern themselves with the safety of the citizens, that has not been the case the last few months

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MakeMeaSammitch

@Aljosa23 said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@Aljosa23 said:

lmao "teach a lesson". Yeah, you're definitely going to sway people who don't like you by being patronizing and acting like they are children. /s

Acting how a lot of people would if they were disrespected so badly while helping so many people.

Their reaction is proportional. The real Children are the cop haters.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MakeMeaSammitch

@airshocker said:

@Dawg9000 said:

Cop haters?

Show some respect. Two cops were murdered. It doesn't matter what your opinion is on the matter, calling them "dumbass cops" is extremely disrespectful.

Classic blaming the victim.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

nvm

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

A similar thing happened in my country's capital. Operation Turtle they called; homicides quickly rose after that. It's bound to happen. That said, this sort of indiscipline is intolerable. The mayor needs to act to **** syndical and brass leadership up the ass, show who's boss.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch

@Dawg9000 said:

@airshocker said:

@Dawg9000 said:

Cop haters?

No, they were dumbasses, end of the fucking day. If you were a hunter, and tried to climb a tree for safety from a bear, no matter how disrespectful I may sound, it'll hold truth that you are, indeed, a fucking dumbass.

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Acting how a lot of people would if they were disrespected so badly while helping so many people.

Yea, they're one step above all the other paid workers they're being paid by to protect, right? Any cop who feels "disrespected" needs to get strip searched for walking past their compatriots in civilian clothing too quickly. Both of you are full of shit and you know it.

Ok kid

Dawg9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Dawg9000
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@Dawg9000 said:

@airshocker said:

@Dawg9000 said:

Cop haters?

No, they were dumbasses, end of the fucking day. If you were a hunter, and tried to climb a tree for safety from a bear, no matter how disrespectful I may sound, it'll hold truth that you are, indeed, a fucking dumbass.

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Yea, they're one step above all the other paid workers they're being paid by to protect, right? Any cop who feels "disrespected" needs to get strip searched for walking past their compatriots in civilian clothing too quickly. Both of you are full of shit and you know it.

Ok kid

You make good use of ad hominem. Just got called kid by a guy who's name is funny to 12 year olds and thinks a Sir Mix-A-Lot song is "classic" haha. Go to the nearest precinct and blow the officers. Just don't ask them for any remuneration, they might arrest your ass!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44591 Posts

"traffic tickets and summonses for minor offenses have dropped off by a staggering 94"... oh, I think they'll be fine.

"Police sources said Monday that safety concerns were the main reason for the dropoff in police activity"... oh, I'd like to see them justify that one. I mean they go on about how tough their job is and how they're all heroes, two cops end up dead and now they're acting like they're job is too dangerous? Probably not. I think they're exploiting the death of their own, probably to put a stop to the implementation of body cameras.

"some cops were mounting an undeclared slowdown in protest of de Blasio’s response to the non-indictment in the police chokehold death of Eric Garner"... yeah, and what exactly did he say in his response that was so utterly offensive that they refuse to do the job they are paid to do?

I think it's time the NYPD stop acting like little bitches.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#41 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Unfortunate. But given the situation in NYC, the cops would be putting themselves in more danger then usual if they tried to enforce these low-level laws, which could also mean that situations would arise where they would have to defend themselves and that would just pour more fuel on the fire. Plus De Blasio could have acted differently and done less to alienate the cops, among other things he should have advised his young son to run to the cops,not away from them.

This situation really is a product of the whole anti-cop, don't talk to the police, no-snitching, mentality that exists within many inner-cities and in academia. The blown out of proportion theory that cops hate black people and try to keep them down.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

why bother? you can't enforce the law anyway, it's racist.

#motherfuckerstryingtokillmelivesmatter

lulz.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Cops face violent criminals every day... what makes this any different?