Positive Correlation Between Attractiveness and Narcissism?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

Do you agree that the more attractive a person is, the more likely they are to have an inflated ego, and look down and manipulate others for their own satisfaction? Is your answer based on personal experience? Provide examples.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

why ask this here? I'm sure if you spend some time on google you can find some actual research studies to help you

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BluRayHiDef

@lostrib said:

why ask this here? I'm sure if you spend some time on google you can find some actual research studies to help you

I want people's opinions, not a definite answer. C'mon, son.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lostrib
@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

You want people's opinions on something that they don't know or understand, unless we have some massive population of psychology researchers

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44617 Posts

there are more factors than just looks that can inflate one's ego, but ones beauty could be one of those factors

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BluRayHiDef

@lostrib said:
@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

You want people's opinions on something that they don't know or understand, unless we have some massive population of psychology researchers

How do you know whether most people in OT won't understand? Most people here are quite intelligent. Seriously.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lostrib

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:
@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

How do you know whether most people in OT won't understand? Most people here are quite intelligent. Seriously.

really? you think most people in OT are intelligent, let alone that they have intimate knowledge of psychological disorders and statistical correlations?

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BluRayHiDef

@lostrib said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:
@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

really? you think most people in OT are intelligent, let alone that they have intimate knowledge of psychological disorders and statistical correlations?

Yes, I think most people in OT are intelligent. I think most of us are socially awkward individuals who are more book smart than the average joe. Besides, my question is in regard to personal experience, and does not seek definitive answers.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

In my experience I don't think this is true. It always sounds like a dick thing to say but being really attractive can bring a lot of unwanted attention that can effect people mentally. There's a lot of people who are pretty far from good looking who seem to believe that they're gods gift to the world, I would honestly say this is more common in my experience than an attractive person being an egomaniac.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11  Edited By coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Haven't really noticed a trend personally.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BluRayHiDef

@coolbeans90 said:

Haven't really noticed a trend personally.

Okay.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@thegerg said:

no

Really? I haven't (and wont) do any research on the subject, but as far as personal experience goes, people who could be described as "attractive" tend to be more narcissistic than those who are noticeably LESS attractive than the average person. My theory behind this completely non-scientific observation is that we live in a society which places a lot of importance on physical attractiveness. There are studies done that have found attractive people are paid more and are more happy than not-so-attractive people, so them also being more narcissistic in general doesn't seem like too much of a stretch in my opinion.

Of course this doesn't mean ALL attractive people are narcissistic (or paid more, or more happy), just as not all fat people are lazy.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@lostrib said:

To spark a discussion, or debate perhaps? But what the **** do I know...

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

Nope. I'm handsome as **** and very modest.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BluRayHiDef

@deeliman said:

You're handsome only in your own mind. Modest people are butt ugly, which is why they're modest; they have no reason to be arrogant.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Yeah, I'm pretty fucking awesome.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deeliman

@BluRayHiDef said:

@deeliman said:

You're handsome only in your own mind. Modest people are butt ugly, which is why they're modest; they have no reason to be arrogant.

Someone didn't get the joke (I wanted to use the "the joke your head" pic, but GS glitches out when I tried to do it)

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#19  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:
@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

lol.

Maybe if you're comparing OT to System Wars.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deeliman

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:
@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

Yes, I think most people in OT are intelligent. I think most of us are socially awkward individuals who are more book smart than the average joe. Besides, my question is in regard to personal experience, and does not seek definitive answers.

Name 1 intelligent user.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BluRayHiDef

@deeliman said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:
@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

Name 1 intelligent user.

The Gerg.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deeliman

@BluRayHiDef said:

@deeliman said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:
@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

Name 1 intelligent user.

The Gerg.

I think you misunderstood the question; I asked you to name an intelligent user.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

people who embody the more objective attractiveness (healthy bio-metrics, facial symmetry etc), usually seem to know that they are attractive, and will have an ego that reflects that. it would seem to me that's only natural.

whether they look down on, or manipulate people is a different thing all together, and i don't think is correlated at all

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

@deeliman said:

I think you misunderstood the question; I asked you to name an intelligent user.

Ooh! Me! Me Me Me! I'm crazy intelligent. I'll knock you flat out with my intelligence. Pick meeeee!

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

Generally speaking, "attractive" people (notice the quotation marks) will get more attention, whether they are a bit taller, tan in western cultures, more light skinned in south america/south-east asian cultures, whatever. And depending on the person, the more attention you get, and the more you're told you're attractive, it'll go to your head eventually.

Most of the "douche bags" I see in real life could pass in a fashion magazine. This is just from my experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Any individual can psych themselves into having an inflated ego

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

If there is such a correlation, then I'd hypothesize that it's due to the fact that attractive people tend to be treated better by their peers, coworkers, and society in general, leading to a more "spoiled" disposition that's interpreted as narcissism.

I doubt there's such a correlation, though, for the simple fact that narcissism is a mental disorder and mental disorders don't care how you look.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@deeliman said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@deeliman said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:
@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

Name 1 intelligent user.

The Gerg.

pie_junior

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

I've been called a self-righteous jock on more than one occasion. I don't know if that has to do with physical attractiveness or not.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

BluRayHiDef thread

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@deeliman said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:
@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

Name 1 intelligent user.

The Gerg.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

It's a definite case by case basis. I'd say it'd apply more heavily to females(based purely on attractiveness), as they are constantly viewed by their looks.

But males can be more narcissistic due to looks, money, race, intelligence etc.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@thegerg said:

no

agreed, many times there is a connection with attractiveness, but I've seen quite a few cases where it isn't warranted.

Narcissism is a mental disorder by the way. Some people have healthy great confidence (almost arrogance) with attractiveness, but aren't narcissists.

Narcissists live in their own warped reality, where they are beautiful kings or queens, and everyone else is a peasant to worship them. They tend to show off to remind people how great they are. Their ego depends on how many admirers they have not from anything solid inside themselves. The more admirers the more it feeds their godliness. The way to play a narcissist is to not worship them, although often times it will make them mad because you are expected to worship them.

Learned alot from Abnormal Psych class.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

I'd feel that this comes from a combination of factors, but narcissism isn't caused by attractiveness, it's a mental disorder. Anyone, from any walk of life, can be a narcissist, but a narcissist who looks good just has more ammo. You give a narcissist anything that makes them superior to someone else, no matter how trivial, and they'll mold it into a tool to back up their own warped inhibitions.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Well in a sense yes definitely. Attention, or too much of it, is generally speaking detrimental to people. It can really inflate their ego and blow their innate self-centrism out of tolerable or normal proportions which usually don't compromise people's psychological well-being and distort their world views. But this is not exclusive to traits of physical attractiveness. When an individual possesses abundantly any desirable quality to his fellow men, he will receive too much attention because of it and the same applies to attractiveness. So its not really about attractiveness per say. It can be wealth, intellectual superiority, social elitism or any other characteristic that is positively perceived by that individual's society.

I think that physical attractiveness has gained this notorious reputation as an ego-inflating quality because its, statistically speaking, the most common ego-inflating quality that can be found abundantly in people that we all have access to. Good looking people are not hard to come by. Its not uncommon at all for any member of society to be around and get to know an extremely good looking person, its the norm actually. It doesn't take much for a person to be really attractive: a combination of good genes that he/she had no hands in acquiring them and physical maintenance do the trick. Good looking people don't have a world of their own, they don't belong to any kind of a private club or so to speak. On the other hand, what are the chances that an individual would get to know a super rich person or a genius or an aristocrat or a royalty?

Hate_Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Hate_Squad
Member since 2007 • 1357 Posts

@lonewolf604: this,if you get hit on left and right by members of the opposite sex,its completely logical that you weil become a narcisict,its not your fault.you get corrupted by the power you have on people

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

Of course, isn't that obvious ?