LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts

They keep screwing with the forums. It's like they don't want anyone to come to their site.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17851 Posts

Truth be told PG was the death of OT.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic

@br0kenrabbit said:

Yes. I said that when they separated the two. However, it looks like they don't want political talks so there isn't much hope for OT either.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58640 Posts

I'd rather OT die than become PG.

:)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic

@uninspiredcup said:

I'd rather OT die than become PG.

:)

From checking in here and there, it's already pretty much dead.

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 407 Posts

I hadn't really been paying much attention, but sorry to hear that for the folks who liked posting there.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23010 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Yes. I said that when they separated the two. However, it looks like they don't want political talks so there isn't much hope for OT either.

They're baaaaaaaack.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#9 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49564 Posts

Hey guys, they'll be an official announcement with details on why and the future of off-topic shortly. Just be patient! :)

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#10 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49564 Posts

Upon further review, decided to open the thread to allow for the collective discussion until the official notice goes live. :)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55897 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Wait a minute, who said that? Before PG, OT was a place were you can discuss Political and my best guess is, GS staff probably don't think PG was worth having when we have OT for that. I myself at the time didn't like it when OT was split as I'm more of a regular OT and hardly go into PG. But as Stevo said, best to wait and see where this is heading.

Edit: Never mind, I forgot Fandom bought GS (same with GameFAQS) and they don't like political discussion, only games. I see what you mean now. Forgot I said anything lol.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

This is a BAD idea! One thing that blows especially is that PG was one of the most moderated forums.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

Yo wassup homies? No more PG?? That’ll kill the boards further for sure, but maybe that’s the goal. These boards gotta go sometime.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4189 Posts

@MirkoS77: political gamer is kind of an oxymoron. Anyways as I saw it, it got pretty toxic there sometimes. We’re better off without it.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 7975 Posts

Dang..

I was looking forward to arguing with people about the Durham report, when I say people I mean zaryia yelling at me to fact check from cnn and LJS giving me dismissive one liners

R.I.P PG

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 606 Posts

I don't know. I liked having political gamer. Because those of us that want to discuss politics could do it without bothering the rest of the gamespot community.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15541 Posts

Ah well that saves them bandwidth and me some mental bandwidth so might as well kill that board.

Hell kill all the forums, not like system wars is anything but shitposts anymore.

Also the news and reviews sections are bad so none of that.

Just no gamespot really.

It's for the best.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#19 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

Aw man, my baby.

Really hope they don't break the quarantine as some people seem to already trying to do here. Rather have OT dead and chill than lively but toxic.

What can I say? I like graveyards and despise humans. I might be slightly Goth.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36038 Posts

I'm gonna miss that forum oddly enough.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

This kinda reinforces my whole belief that nowadays you really can't have too much discourse between people of differing political views without things escalating and name-calling and ad hominem arguments happening, if that is why they decided to close the forum.

There was one time in college where I saw two guys who seemed very educated talking about the future election between Hillary and Trump and they both were giving valid points about the strengths and weaknesses of both candidates at the time. Nobody got heated and angry. They disagreed with each other on some things but all in all, it was a very rare sight to see that. The popular thing to do is hate on whatever side for whatever reason and scoff and get sarcastic towards each other. I don't see that helping anything but it's the way the world has been going now.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 uninspiredcup

I'm dumb. What does this mean exactly?

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/closure-of-political-gamers-33603133/

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36038 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/closure-of-political-gamers-33603133/

I can't say for sure, but I'd say it's a blanket ban on political discussion. I'm just speculating though.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SargentD

@Serraph105: companies tend to want to distance themselves from politics as much as possible because it tends to be divisive and isn't seen as a positive for a companies brand to make money.

Pretty lame imo. It was one of the few reasons I'd come back to these forums. Was more interesting than reading cows and lems argue about Activation merger 24/7 lol...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 uninspiredcup

@Serraph105: Noticed mentioned Gamefaq as well.

My guess here is that people are discussing trans people with a disparaging attitude. But, just like you this is purely speculation on my end. Game journos are practically obsessed with it. If was to randomly throw a dart at the board, that would be my guess.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38662 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

lol.

soooo you don't want user participation on your site?

hey guys, what's your favorite color? mine's blue.

guys?

guys??

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By madrocketeer

@uninspiredcup:

Looks like no politics, period.

Eh. Can work, though it depends on how actively they moderate this. I've been on a forum that has a zero-tolerance no politics policy, and while a thread or two does slip through the cracks because mods have lives, they do pretty diligently close and delete them so people mostly observe the policy. So it depends.

Plenty of other places online for that stuff, which people are welcome to leave for. Personally, I say don't let the door hit them on their way out.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By madrocketeer

@girlusocrazy:

"We closed all political discussion boards." Sounds pretty blanket to me.

Yeah, they're gonna say it's to stem abusive conduct, but they can use that to justify a pre-emptive ban. Seen it before.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup
@sargentd said:

@Serraph105: companies tend to want to distance themselves from politics as much as possible because it tends to be divisive and isn't seen as a positive for a companies brand to make money.

I don't see how it would relate though. Maybe (at best) lets say, 50 active users who regularly visit and post and the people who visit the frontpage never visit or give a shit about this section.

Whatever edgy political opinion you have, we are irrelevant. Not saying that to be a dick or anything, just fact. We are irrelevant, not even a blip.

The post was so vague in nature as to be pointless. We are literally still speculating.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic

@madrocketeer said:

@uninspiredcup:

Looks like no politics, period.

Eh. Can work, though it depends on how actively they moderate this. I've been on a forum that has a zero-tolerance no politics policy, and while a thread or two does slip through the cracks because mods have lives, they do pretty diligently close and delete them so people mostly observe the policy. So it depends.

Plenty of other places online for that stuff, which people are welcome to leave for. Personally, I say don't let the door hit them on their way out.

Same for you if you don't like discussions, don't take part, or don't let the door hit you on your way out. Seems a selfish attitude that people can only discuss what you want them too.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By madrocketeer

@poe13:

Just a combination of a cripplingly flawed political system in the process of eating itself as it's destined to, and both social and traditional media amplifying and profiting off anger and outrage at the expense of everything else.

But that's just my theory anyway.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 madrocketeer

@LJS9502_basic:

And I didn't take part. I don't care that people want to discuss politics - as long as it's away from my sight. Hell, at this point I'm even willing to treat OT like how I treated PG if this isn't a blanket ban as it seems.

I was perfectly happy with the quarantine board, but this is the new reality. I'm saying, from my experience, how this new reality could work. As I said, it depends.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 poe13

@LJS9502_basic: I would hardly call the threads on PG "discussions". More like whatever side is popular to hate on, keep dogpiling on it and anyone who offers a difference of opinion is dogpiled on as well.

At the end of the day, this is GAMEspot, not Politicspot. I never understood the reason for PG when every topic devolved into a total shitshow. You can call threads on System Wars the same thing if you want but in the end, this site isn't for politics anyway so yes, it makes sense we can only talk about what Gamespot wants us to if you follow the history of the nastiness.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By madrocketeer

@girlusocrazy:

Yup, which means we could be looking at either a surgical strike or the beginning of a carpet bomb. They either nuked PG because of a specific "no politics" policy, using abusive conduct as a pretext, or this the first step of a new moderation policy.

Hard to tell at this point, but either way, it still sounds like no politics, period.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By uninspiredcup
@poe13 said:

@LJS9502_basic: I would hardly call the threads on PG "discussions". More like whatever side is popular to hate on, keep dogpiling on it and anyone who offers a difference of opinion is dogpiled on as well.

At the end of the day, this is GAMEspot, not Politicspot. I never understood the reason for PG when every topic devolved into a total shitshow. You can call threads on System Wars the same thing if you want but in the end, this site isn't for politics anyway so yes, it makes sense we can only talk about what Gamespot wants us to if you follow the history of the nastiness.

You'll find the front-page staff members regularly push a political ideology and directly inject it into games and articles. Incredibly preachy at times. Closing down the comments sections on regular basis.

At the of the day, it's (said owners) site, we are guests and they can do as they please.

It doesn't make it not hypocritical though.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 poe13

@uninspiredcup: Yep, I agree that stuff sucks. But at least they aren't putting out too many articles on what the President said at this summit meeting or this ban on whatever....yet anyway.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SargentD

@uninspiredcup said:
@poe13 said:

You'll find the front-page staff members regularly push a political ideology and directly inject it into games and articles. Incredibly preachy at times. Closing down the comments sections on regular basis.

At the of the day, it's (said owners) site, we are guests and they can do as they please.

It doesn't make it not hypocritical though.

Yeah if Gamespot doesn't want users to talk politics I'd say they shouldn't talk politics either.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic

@poe13 said:

So by that token OT should be closed as well. Since it's GAMEspot.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SargentD
@uninspiredcup said:
@sargentd said:

I don't see how it would relate though. Maybe (at best) lets say, 50 active users who regularly visit and post and the people who visit the frontpage never visit or give a shit about this section.

Whatever edgy political opinion you have, we are irreverent. Not saying that to be a dick or anything, just fact. We are irreverent, not even a blip.

The post was so vague in nature as to be pointless. We are literally still speculating.

I have to agree.

Tbh my assumption is a higher up saw the word "political" on a sub forum and decided. "I don't like this on the site, don't want people talking politics on the site" without giving it a second thought.

For a dying forum I'd say this is a bad move.

The "abusive language" part is nonsense. If that's the case get rid of "system wars", it's literally got "wars" in the title lol...seen people get nastier about plastic boxes more than anything. Just kill the forums I guess lol

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LJS9502_basic
@sargentd said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Whatever edgy political opinion you have, we are irreverent. Not saying that to be a dick or anything, just fact. We are irreverent, not even a blip.

I have to agree.

Tbh my assumption is a higher up saw the word "political" on a sub forum and decided. "I don't like this on the site, don't want people talking politics on the site" without giving it a second thought.

For a dying forum I'd say this is a bad move.

The "abusive language" part is nonsense. If that's the case get rid of "system wars", it's literally got "wars" in the title lol...seen people get nastier about plastic boxes more than anything. Just kill the forums I guess lol

Odd how there were two moderators in there quite a bit. I'd imagine if any abusive language existed then they'd have dealt with it.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 poe13

@LJS9502_basic: Sure, I don't care. They can do what they want for the rules of their site. I don't have to agree with them. I have more going on with my life than daily needing to make snide one-liner remarks back to people who don't agree with me politically.

Hey why don't you write your congressman and tell him to get Gamespot to bring back Political Gamers so you can resume your important business?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38662 Posts

"Fandom is proud to be a place of belonging for all fans. [ except the ones interested in discussing politics ]"

ftfy

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14788 Posts

So what's going on? No political talk allowed at all, minimal, the usual but just here in OT?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic
@poe13 said:

@LJS9502_basic: Sure, I don't care. They can do what they want for the rules of their site. I don't have to agree with them. I have more going on with my life than daily needing to make snide one-liner remarks back to people who don't agree with me politically.

Hey why don't you write your congressman and tell him to get Gamespot to bring back Political Gamers so you can resume your important business?

Man OT sure went down hill.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 poe13

@LJS9502_basic: I guess you'll have to figure out what to do with your time now that your forum is gone. I don't know what to tell you.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LJS9502_basic

@poe13 said:

@LJS9502_basic: I guess you'll have to figure out what to do with your time now that your forum is gone. I don't know what to tell you.

I don't want YOU to tell me anything.