Please be honest.. don't think I'm good enough

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for burnin_snowball
burnin_snowball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 burnin_snowball
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Hey,

I love making funny clips/youtube video and its my dream to one day go to Hollywood.

But people always tell me I'm not good enough and I'm starting to think that its true.

Here is an entry I did for a film competition (comedy clip) and I would appreciate constructive advice about how to improve it and if I am good enough to one day go to Hollywood.

Thanks

http://www.campusmoviefest.com/movies/11402-insane-interviews

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
Well posting a bad link isn't helping your cause. Try again.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
But people always tell me I'm not good enough and I'm starting to think that its true.burnin_snowball
...listen to them...please
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Well posting a bad link isn't helping your cause. Try again.dodgerblue13
worked before his edit
Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts
[QUOTE="burnin_snowball"]But people always tell me I'm not good enough and I'm starting to think that its true.rawsavon
...listen to them...please

...I hate to be rude...but...this.
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
worked before his editrawsavon
Oh okay. I got it now. It's far too random. There is no structure. It's like a Family Guy episode. It doesn't help that many of the actors are on the verge of laughing and/or can't deliver a line (and I'm pretty sure most of them are glancing off-screen at cue cards). Then again, the writing isn't spectacular. It comes off as an attempt to be a zany collection of funny bits, but it lacks any and all structure and development. No characters stand out mainly because they are not written at all, but there are also a bunch of characters all of which are stereotypical. It's impossible to decipher between them because they are in and out so quickly and because they are shallow. It also doesn't help that these stereotypical characters are speaking tired lines in tired manners. It's nothing we haven't all seen before. That's not what makes things funny. It's like you relied on what you thought people would find funny or like you heard people laugh at these types of characters before so you included them all into one clip. Also you can get rid of the wacky soundtrack. Ultimately, you refused to try anything different. You have an idea of what should be funny and you made a formulaic clip to fit that. But it didn't work. You said be honest. Honestly? Don't give up if you want to do this. Try something new. Take a chance. That's what ends up being funny.
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#7 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
The soundtrack is really bad.
kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
Ok I'll be honest. Maybe it's just not my type of humor I duno but tbh that video sucked. Some of the characters look like they're about to laugh. The music is annoying, get rid of it. Or atleast don't play it while they're speaking. Nothing in that video was funny. Not the way they acted, not the stuff they said, nothing. Don't give up hope yet though. If you really want to get into hollywood then with some hard work you might get there eventually.
RAGEofSTUNTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 RAGEofSTUNTS
Member since 2010 • 733 Posts
Well......it is really bad. You should start by getting rid of that soundtrack (maybe no soundtrack at all) and some better lines. Like one of the posters above you use some things that have been completely overused, like the girl with the Russian accent trying to get visa into a country and why are there only like 3 actors with 2 of them doing multiple people? Get rid of that guy that always looks like he is about to burst out laughing.
Huffanddoback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Huffanddoback
Member since 2011 • 319 Posts
You asked for an honest opinion...it was pretty bad. I watched the first 20 seconds then randomly skipped ahead to see if it gets any better and it didn't. The music is overpowering the dialogue but from what I can hear its ok because nothing they say is remotely funny in any way shape or form. If you're interested in the field then keep going but I might also look to minor in something as a fallback. Or you can accept the fact that few people make it to the top in this field and try to get in somewhere in the middle like becoming an editor or sound engineer or one of the other thousand jobs in media
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

uhhh wtf did i just watch?

HALO2cookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HALO2cookie
Member since 2004 • 5846 Posts
You tried to hard for it to be funny, the constant use of stereotypes was also quite lame. You need to develop your characters and writing tbh.
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
The f*** was that?
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

The f*** was that?Shottayouth13-

here allow me to reinforce this..

what in the red hades.. was that.. cracka jack??

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

I didn't mind the format, and I could even get past the lame soundtrack, but bottom line it wasn't funny. Poor humor. The characters were lame, and the acting was below average.

I don't mean to come down on you, but I think it would be even worse to mislead you. It doesn't mean you necessarily have to give up your dream, but you have a looooong way to go. Work on your writing. Be edgy and creative. This video was stereotypical and safe which made it lame. Maybe make videos as a side project or something.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I thought it was mildly amusing. My biggest problem is the girl taking the personal phone call and then turning around and saying to the interviewer "Can I help you?" That just doesn't ring true at all. The two goofy guys could have been left out, they weren't believable at all. Especially not that one guy's hat.

Other than that I thought it would have made an amusing bit for some comedy show.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
It would seem your feedback on youtube is positive with 42 likes and 8 dislikes. I found some of the applicants funny and the music fits the video well. pretty good video. I'll go ahead and say you do have potential.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts

I thought it was mildly amusing. My biggest problem is the girl taking the personal phone call and then turning around and saying to the interviewer "Can I help you?" That just doesn't ring true at all. The two goofy guys could have been left out, they weren't believable at all. Especially not that one guy's hat.

Other than that I thought it would have made an amusing bit for some comedy show.

Jackc8
That bit you're right about. Still, an amusing vid and I for one liked the music :P
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

you need to find something that will make people laugh. Adopt either a larry david style of comedy (its hard to write, but its incredible) or just go all out slapstick/stupid funny

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
You could probably write for commercials because a lot those aren't funny at all. There's also A LOT of unfunny garbage sitcoms on TV. So, should I say give on your dream? No. With the **** we see on television nowadays there's bound to be an audience for just about anything.
black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 black_cat19
Member since 2006 • 8212 Posts

Just follow your dreams. I don't care how bad you are, if Disaster Movie was released in theaters, you've got a pretty decent shot at making it in Hollywood.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

You could probably write for commercials because a lot those aren't funny at all. There's also A LOT of unfunny garbage sitcoms on TV. So, should I say give on your dream? No. With the **** we see on television nowadays there's bound to be an audience for just about anything. majadamus

:lol: This is such a backhanded comment.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

What.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
Not funny and very hackneyed. Sorry, you need to improve big time on your writing.