Platoon or Full Metal Jacket?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts
Even though I love Kubricks film's I have to say that I prefer Platoon. Overall i can't stand Oliver Stone and I think he is overrated, but Platoon has Willem Dafoe who is one of my favorite actors and it was more about the soldiers personal strugles with each other rather than just the battles in vietnam.
IrishPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 IrishPunk
Member since 2003 • 10150 Posts
Full Metal Jacket just because the first half of the movie is done so well. The end of the first half has problably one of the most memorable scenes from a movie. Platoon isn't very behind though.
ElZilcho90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 ElZilcho90
Member since 2006 • 6157 Posts
Full Metal Jacket gets the nod, entirely for R. Lee Ermey's performance as Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann.
esb1118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 esb1118
Member since 2007 • 2661 Posts
Full Metal Jacket has philosophy all over it
cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 cornholio157
Member since 2005 • 4603 Posts
id have to go with full metal jacket since its the only one ive seen and some parts are hilarious
Palax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Palax
Member since 2003 • 2399 Posts

Full Metal Jacket for me easily.

The scene where Gomer Pyle shoots himself is one of my favorite movie scenes ever. The choice of music that Kubrick incorporates into that scene is sublime.

Avatar image for Sargatanas13576
Sargatanas13576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sargatanas13576
Member since 2007 • 1381 Posts
"Seven six two millimeter, full metal jacket." *BLAMO* :twisted:
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Film-Guy

Full Metal Jacket has philosophy all over itesb1118

In a way I don't always see that as a good thing, it reminds me in a way of Aynd Rand and why I dislike her books. There is so much philosphy and political nonsense in them that the story gets lost under a neverending barrage of philosophical and metaphorical crap. I am not saying Full Metal Jacket does this, i am referring to people who go on and on about how metaphorical and philosphical a movie is that they forget about the plot. Many of David Lynches films do this, I think he is a talented guy but my god is he pretentious. I tried to watch Eraserhead and it just made no sense to me, I say this to people who love the film and they tell me how I am not smart enough to understand the metaphors in it and all that kind of pretentious BS that makes me want to smack them.

JackMcSexbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JackMcSexbeard
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
id say platoon, I havent seen full metal jacket for awhile so il check it out again but as of now I prefer Platoon. There are so many good actors, and incredibly emotional moments which I feel are more powerful than anything in full metal jacket. Both are very good though.
jasonis007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jasonis007
Member since 2008 • 107 Posts
I definitly have to go with Full Metal Jacket. I just enlisted in the Marines and go to boot camp in January of 09 and I hope to god that the drill sergants there dont say the kind of stuff that they said on the movie cuz i will laugh my ass off, and then have to do 500 push ups or something of that sort
yabbicoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yabbicoke
Member since 2007 • 4069 Posts
Full Metal Jacket. Platoon is good, it just seemed like it had too much "80's cheese".
JackMcSexbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JackMcSexbeard
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts

Full Metal Jacket has philosophy all over itesb1118

FMJ may be deeper but I think Platton does an incredible job of Showing war. It maybe doesnt present idea to the degree of FMJ but it shows the barbarity, animalistic brutality and moral ambiguity thats associated with it and so is a better war film because in so many ways its just real.

Sargatanas13576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sargatanas13576

[QUOTE="esb1118"]Full Metal Jacket has philosophy all over itFilm-Guy

In a way I don't always see that as a good thing, it reminds me in a way of Aynd Rand and why I dislike her books. There is so much philosphy and political nonsense in them that the story gets lost under a neverending barrage of philosophical and metaphorical crap. I am not saying Full Metal Jacket does this, i am referring to people who go on and on about how metaphorical and philosphical a movie is that they forget about the plot. Many of David Lynches films do this, I think he is a talented guy but my god is he pretentious. I tried to watch Eraserhead and it just made no sense to me, I say this to people who love the film and they tell me how I am not smart enough to understand the metaphors in it and all that kind of pretentious BS that makes me want to smack them.

Amen! Great point. FMJ still owns though. Anyone seen "Casualties of War?"

esb1118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 esb1118
Member since 2007 • 2661 Posts

Well with Full Metal Jacket, to me atleast, the philosophical aspects are somewhat obscure and it doesn't shove it in your face. Which makes Stanely a genius is that he also created a movie that people can watch and be like "holy s*** this movie is hillarious and kicks ass".
MissRiotmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 MissRiotmaker
Member since 2007 • 8593 Posts
As awesome as Platoon is, Full Metal Jacket wins.
pOOPYpANTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pOOPYpANTZ
Member since 2008 • 193 Posts

Even though I love Kubricks film's I have to say that I prefer Platoon. Overall i can't stand Oliver Stone and I think he is overrated, but Platoon has Willem Dafoe who is one of my favorite actors and it was more about the soldiers personal strugles with each other rather than just the battles in vietnam.Film-Guy

Overall I agree with you. Both Ollie Stone AND David Lynch are very highly overrated directors. It seems that all you have to do is create one or two great cult classics in your early years and you set for life, creating all manner of (big budget) trash and the producers will forever come back to them for more. Sad.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I MUCH prefer Full Metal Jacket to Platoon. I can hardly make it through Platoon most of the time, and I'm VERY interested in the Vietnam War.

This was an easy decision for me. If you'd replaced Platoon with Apocalypse Now, however, it would have been a lot harder.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Film-Guy

Full Metal Jacket. Platoon is good, it just seemed like it had too much "80's cheese".yabbicoke

What 80s cheese:?

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts
I loved you in "Wall Street"! Oh, Apocaplyse Now wasn't one of the choices.
Palax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Palax
Member since 2003 • 2399 Posts
I also love the scene where the Drill Sargeant finds the jelly donut, then picks it up with two fingers, as if he's holding something foul and unholy, then screams "Holy Jesus! What is that? WTF is that? WHAT IS THAT, PRIVATE PYLE?"
Robertoey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Robertoey
Member since 2005 • 1996 Posts
I'd say that I enjoy Platoon more as a movie plain and simple. Full Metal Jacket is probably a bit deeper, and some of the bootcamp scenes are hilarious.
Sargatanas13576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sargatanas13576

I also love the scene where the Drill Sargeant finds the jelly donut, then picks it up with two fingers, as if he's holding something foul and unholy, then screams "Holy Jesus! What is that? WTF is that? WHAT IS THAT, PRIVATE PYLE?"Palax

Maybe he thought it was a hemroid donut. :shock:

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Full Metal Jacket is one of my favorite movies ever.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers beat both of those combined by themselves.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Film-Guy

Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers beat both of those combined by themselves. FrostyPhantasm

Those areant the choices though:| Also saving private ryan is overrated, I can think of 10 or more war movies that I consider to be much better.

Sargatanas13576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sargatanas13576

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers beat both of those combined by themselves. Film-Guy

Those areant the choices though:| Also saving private ryan is overrated, I can think of 10 or more war movies that I consider to be much better.

*agrees*

A_Tarkovsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 A_Tarkovsky
Member since 2008 • 2929 Posts
Platoon is just another overrated Oliver Stone film (though JFK is one of my favorite movies). Full Metal Jacket is far superior. It's not even close to being the shadow of a contest.
A_Tarkovsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 A_Tarkovsky

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers beat both of those combined by themselves. Film-Guy

It's probably overrated. I still love it for the battle scenes, though I love Band of Brothers a helluva lot more.
A_Tarkovsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 A_Tarkovsky

How is David Lynch pretentious? He's probably one of the least pretentious directors out there. He actively admits that his films are supposed to be like surreal paintings before they're supposed to make sense.
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts
Full Metal Jacket. Maybe its because I am a fan of Kubricks work, but its a great film none the less.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

[QUOTE="esb1118"]Full Metal Jacket has philosophy all over itA_Tarkovsky

How is David Lynch pretentious? He's probably one of the least pretentious directors out there. He actively admits that his films are supposed to be like surreal paintings before they're supposed to make sense.

I actually didnt know that, thats a really interesting description of his films. I was probably watching them with the wrong frame of mind, I should give a few another show.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers beat both of those combined by themselves. A_Tarkovsky

It's probably overrated. I still love it for the battle scenes, though I love Band of Brothers a helluva lot more.

The battle scenes are good I admit, but I think Stalingrad has more impressive battles scenes.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Film-Guy

Platoon is just another overrated Oliver Stone film (though JFK is one of my favorite movies). Full Metal Jacket is far superior. It's not even close to being the shadow of a contest.A_Tarkovsky

There is something about Platoon I like alot. Maybe its because it was the first war movie i saw and its all nostalgia, but there is something about the intense rivalry between Willem Dafoes character and Tom Berenger I think Facinating. Especially since I am such a huge fan of Willem Dafoe and it was great seeing him play a character like Elias. Charlie Sheen was ok in it, he wasnt a weak link but there was really nothing special about his performence.

A_Tarkovsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 A_Tarkovsky

[QUOTE="A_Tarkovsky"]Platoon is just another overrated Oliver Stone film (though JFK is one of my favorite movies). Full Metal Jacket is far superior. It's not even close to being the shadow of a contest.Film-Guy

There is something about Platoon I like alot. Maybe its because it was the first war movie i saw and its all nostalgia, but there is something about the intense rivalry between Willem Dafoes character and Tom Berenger I think Facinating. Especially since I am such a huge fan of Willem Dafoe and it was great seeing him play a character like Elias. Charlie Sheen was ok in it, he wasnt a weak link but there was really nothing special about his performence.

The symbolism makes me want to vomit these days. Wall Street has a somewhat better take on it. Somewhat.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

[QUOTE="A_Tarkovsky"]Platoon is just another overrated Oliver Stone film (though JFK is one of my favorite movies). Full Metal Jacket is far superior. It's not even close to being the shadow of a contest.A_Tarkovsky

The symbolism makes me want to vomit these days. Wall Street has a somewhat better take on it. Somewhat.

I barely noticed it really, I was more focused on the soldiers rivalry than focusing on symbolism. I never saw Wall Street, I just remember it being mentioned in Hot Shots 2 as a quick joke.