Planned Parenthood is here to stay?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

So, I saw on the local news that there was a rally of pink-clad women in front of Planned Parenthood and one of the things they were chanting was "Planned Parenthood is here to stay"

So do you think the organization is here to stay, or do you think it will collapse and go away? I don't think the trends are looking too good for them, their number of facilities are declining (though they are replacing them with bigger facilities), but I think aside from their abortion numbers most of their other clientele is declining, the organization seems heavily dependent on gov't funding and states are moving to cut that off, plus even pro-choice Republicans are against funding them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the organization, at least in the U.S., ceased to exist within the next 50 years, certainly in the next 100 years, I don't think they'll be around.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I don't know. It's a good example of how a smear campaign can cause lasting damage despite being quickly debunked. The smear campaign is a good example of the lunacy of many conservatives. There's no good reason why Planned Parenthood should be defunded.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

@KHAndAnime: mega mhm

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

I don't know. It's a good example of how a smear campaign can cause lasting damage despite being quickly debunked. The smear campaign is a good example of the lunacy of many conservatives. There's no good reason why Planned Parenthood should be defunded.

QFT

The whole campaign against them has been bs from the start, but hey Republicans never let facts get in the way before so why start now?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@whipassmt said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the organization, at least in the U.S., ceased to exist within the next 50 years, certainly in the next 100 years, I don't think they'll be around.

This is an example of Poe's Law

@KHAndAnime said:

@Serraph105 said:

The whole campaign against them has been bs from the start, but hey Republicans never let facts get in the way before so why start now?

basically

Next thread OP pls

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 whipassmt

@dave123321: what doth mhm mean?

@Serraph105:what qft mean?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@whipassmt: quoted for truth

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Only scenario I can think of PP not existing is the US now has a comprehensive universal health care system that makes PP redundant. But even then it would exist as some kind of learning/awareness organization.

servomaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 servomaster
Member since 2015 • 870 Posts

Against the wishes of social conservatives, woman will continue to own their bodies, so yes.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

It scares me that Republicans will one day have their way, on this, and much more, and destroy the country in the process.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Mhm is a sound of agreement

A mega mhm is a mhm with force

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 whipassmt

@dave123321: @Serraph105:Thanks for the explanations guys.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@Serraph105 said:
@KHAndAnime said:

QFT

I have no real dog in this fight but seems like the smear campaign was waged by both sides: http://thefederalist.com/2015/09/18/whos-really-lying-about-the-planned-parenthood-videos-carly-fiorina-or-the-factcheckers/

I understand the need for women to exert control over their own bodies but at the same time it is real heartbreaking to see videos or hear the stories of still living aborted fetuses. I don't see how abortion doctors can do what they do and not be seriously messed up in the head.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts
@KHAndAnime said:

Can you clarify this for me. What smear campaign are you referring to and when was it debunked?

Zethrickk382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zethrickk382
Member since 2013 • 480 Posts

@bmanva: Agreed

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

It's here to stay

How about we not use their service (without the law telling us we can't)

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I can't believe those baby-murdering monsters are allowed to run their underground organ harvesting business. /s

In all honesty though, **** the people that want to shut down Planned Parenthood.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@bmanva said:
@Serraph105 said:
@KHAndAnime said:

QFT

I have no real dog in this fight but seems like the smear campaign was waged by both sides: http://thefederalist.com/2015/09/18/whos-really-lying-about-the-planned-parenthood-videos-carly-fiorina-or-the-factcheckers/

I understand the need for women to exert control over their own bodies but at the same time it is real heartbreaking to see videos or hear the stories of still living aborted fetuses. I don't see how abortion doctors can do what they do and not be seriously messed up in the head.

At what point do people take abortion in US?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

One would hope so.

Surely it's better to have a place with professionals and proper equipment, then women turning back to knitting sticks and coat hangers to remove unwanted pregnancy. Something that is severely risky due to possible damage and infections that might happen.

Cause Abortions aren't going to vanish just because you remove clinics that do it, they just move from a clinic to people's homes or some shabby backroom.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

@KHAndAnime: Why is truth always a smear campaign? With the Left truth is either hate speech or a right wing smear. Bill Clinton just said it was Hillary's Republican opponents who smearing her over her e-mails. Planned Parenthood is an abortion factory hiding behind the guise of women's health. When the Affordable Health Care Act was passed a group of twelve Democrats were promised it would not pay for abortions. Well we can see how that turned out. I believe those twelve Democrats are no longer in congress.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22  Edited By deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

The evidence between vaccines and autism was debunked more than a decade ago, but we still have huge pockets of anti-vaxxers in this country.

It has become obvious that Planned Parenthood is not guilty of any wrong doing but that won't stop the crusade against PP from certain corners. It doesn't matter that a large number of women are helped by Planned Parenthood, and that includes preventing unwanted births that would put more people into the welfare system, which the same people who hate PP also hate.

Those on the religious right have taken it upon themselves to poke their noses in on other people's business. That isn't going to change any time soon.

In addition, it isn't as though PP does services only for women, it has services for men too, so apart from being a significant issue for women's health, it's an issue for allowing access to health services for anyone, especially those with low income.

redrichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 redrichard
Member since 2015 • 203 Posts

@bmanva: Appeal to emotion isn't a valid argument.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bmanva

@redrichard said:

@bmanva: Appeal to emotion isn't a valid argument.

As I already stated, I was not making an argument against abortion, but I don't think social policies should be set completely devoid of consideration of the human condition.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

I'm not sure why taxpayers should fund most of the things that are funded. I can see social programs like food stamps, housing, and medical for those in poverty. I can see the military to defend the country etc. But interest groups? No.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bmanva

@horgen said:
@bmanva said:
@Serraph105 said:
@KHAndAnime said:

QFT

At what point do people take abortion in US?

I honestly don't know but Roe v Wade determined that the right to life of individual only comes into play when fetus is capable of surviving outside the womb. So in theory someone can abort as late as early third trimester. I'm a little fuzzy on the law regarding how fetal viability is determined though; I'm sure someone can google it.

At what point do you believe abortion should be outlawed?

redrichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 redrichard
Member since 2015 • 203 Posts

@bmanva: what human condition are you talking about?

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 whipassmt

@bmanva: From what I understand, the Roe decision said the viability is the point at which the child can survive outside the womb with the help of medical technology. Which would mean that as technology increases, viability gets earlier and earlier.

@JimB said:

@KHAndAnime: Why is truth always a smear campaign? With the Left truth is either hate speech or a right wing smear. Bill Clinton just said it was Hillary's Republican opponents who smearing her over her e-mails. Planned Parenthood is an abortion factory hiding behind the guise of women's health. When the Affordable Health Care Act was passed a group of twelve Democrats were promised it would not pay for abortions. Well we can see how that turned out. I believe those twelve Democrats are no longer in congress.

From what I understand most of those Democrats who initially opposed Obamacare unless the Stupak-PItts Amendment was included, but then after months agreed to support it without the amendment (the amendment passed the House but was not included in the Senate version) in exchange for an executive order, did lose their re-election bids in 2010. Though one of them did eventually go on to become a Senator in 2012.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bmanva

@redrichard said:

@bmanva: what human condition are you talking about?

That emotions are essential part of being human. We would just have computers run our government and justice system otherwise.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@jimkabrhel said:

The evidence between vaccines and autism was debunked more than a decade ago, but we still have huge pockets of anti-vaxxers in this country.

Trump himself, you know the leading Republican candidate, in his most recent debate insinuated the connection..

It has become obvious that Planned Parenthood is not guilty of any wrong doing but that won't stop the crusade against PP from certain corners. It doesn't matter that a large number of women are helped by Planned Parenthood, and that includes preventing unwanted births that would put more people into the welfare system, which the same people who hate PP also hate.

We really need to stop posting out this rhetoric.. It is vague or generalized and makes it sound like PP is funded by federal tax dollars to perform any abortions.. That is incorrect.. Tax dollars only fund abortions in which rape, incest, fatal fetal defect, or the woman's life is in jeopardy. With the Hydra Amendment, they are legally prohibited to use federal money to do abortions outside of those specific conditions..

Those on the religious right have taken it upon themselves to poke their noses in on other people's business. That isn't going to change any time soon.

In addition, it isn't as though PP does services only for women, it has services for men too, so apart from being a significant issue for women's health, it's an issue for allowing access to health services for anyone, especially those with low income.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 whipassmt

@sSubZerOo said:
@jimkabrhel said:

Trump himself, you know the leading Republican candidate, in his most recent debate insinuated the connection..

We really need to stop posting out this rhetoric.. It is vague or generalized and makes it sound like PP is funded by federal tax dollars to perform any abortions.. That is incorrect.. Tax dollars only fund abortions in which rape, incest, fatal fetal defect, or the woman's life is in jeopardy. With the Hydra Amendment, they are legally prohibited to use federal money to do abortions outside of those specific conditions..

Out of the shadows into the light... HYDRA HYDRA HYDRA!

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bmanva

@whipassmt: That's a fair point but at the end of the day it's still up to a doctor (or a group of them) to make that call on a case by case basis.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 whipassmt

A lot of people are saying Planned Pimps are here to stay. But as Yurchak says: "Everything was Forever, Until it Was No More".

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

@whipassmt said:

A lot of people are saying Planned Pimps are here to stay. But as Yurchak says: "Everything was Forever, Until it Was No More".

The same could be said for Republicans.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By whipassmt

@jimkabrhel: But if Repubs went away who would take their place as the Democrats' main rivals? I guess it would be the Libertarians. And You don't want that do you?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I'm perfectly fine with having planned parenthood stay. I just don't want them using funds for campaign donations. If you get federal funds, you should remain neutral on that front. Either that, or have a complete separate entity for political purposes that has its own finances and don't shuttle money between the two.

Republicans are quite stupid as well. Why are they so opposed to abortion? Do you really want lots of little democrats running around with the govt. providing lifelong support to them?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Indeed. Shit-slinging is all social conservatives have left.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Yes they are here to stay, and good for them. These social conservatives are just scum. I can't wait until they die off en masse the next couple of decades.

servomaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 servomaster
Member since 2015 • 870 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@KHAndAnime said:

Indeed. Shit-slinging is all social conservatives have left.

Don't give them so little credit, they have anti-science rhetoric too.