Pixar will be going back to original films

#1 Posted by jaydan (2268 posts) -

I remember the wonderful days when Pixar was pumping out original film after original film, and much risks were taken that met rewards.

While over recent years Pixar has pumped out original gems such as Inside Out and Coco - these creations have felt far and few between the helpings of sequels no one really asked for.

I think Pixar has heard the scrutiny that true fans of the studio relish on original works because apparently after Toy Story 4, we will be getting original films again, and possibly for a while too.

Here's a first look at the next film (after Toy Story 4) - Onward:

"Two teenage elf brothers embark on a quest to discover if there is still magic in the world."

It's going to be a brother's movie, and I'm pretty down for that since I grew up with brothers.

What do you guys think of Pixar's next original film?

#2 Posted by judaspete (2949 posts) -

While I do prefer they make more original movies, that isn't really their main problem right now. Pixar just isn't as good as they used to be. They're still good, but not quite what they used to be from about Monsters Inc-Toy Story 3. Maybe more new IPs will get them back on track, but we'll see.

#3 Posted by Calvincfb (1225 posts) -

I don't know what this have to do with System Wars, but I think it's good news.

#4 Posted by jaydan (2268 posts) -
@calvincfb said:

Yea, lock this. I posted in wrong board. :P

#5 Posted by Ant_17 (12420 posts) -

@jaydan said:
@calvincfb said:

Nah, we can salvage this.

Put a Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer and say shit like "xbox sucks"

#6 Posted by SOedipus (11458 posts) -

@jaydan said:
@calvincfb said:

Or ask a mod to move it to off-topic.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#7 Posted by SolidGame_basic (24174 posts) -

Or just delete the topic.

#8 Posted by DaVillain- (36480 posts) -

@SOedipus said:
@jaydan said:
@calvincfb said:

Or ask a mod to move it to off-topic.

Mods can move this thread easily. Why start all over again in OT when you can just move it?

#9 Posted by SOedipus (11458 posts) -
@SolidGame_basic said:

Or delete you!

#10 Posted by Ant_17 (12420 posts) -

@SOedipus said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Or delete you!

Fine, delete Off-topic.

There, now the thread has to stay here.

#11 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43928 posts) -

@SOedipus said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Or delete you!

I'll delete, ummm...your FACE!

#12 Posted by WhatAFailure (368 posts) -

Great news. When can I play Coco?

Will Toy Story 4 have ray-tracing?

My favorite open world is Finding Nemo. Lots of collectibles

#13 Posted by MKXChrome (41 posts) -

Pixar is so awesome.

#14 Posted by Speeny (1632 posts) -

Interesting. I'm all for it I guess. I've managed to purchase pretty much every mainline Disney/Pixar film anyway and will continue to do so for as long as I can.

#15 Posted by super600 (32447 posts) -

I am going to move this topic to OT now since it seems like it fits there better.

#16 Edited by jaydan (2268 posts) -

@super600: Thank you! Posting this in SW accidentally is what happens when you are quick to post a thread and halfway out the door for the day and not double-checking on the board it was being posted in.

@judaspete said:

While I do prefer they make more original movies, that isn't really their main problem right now. Pixar just isn't as good as they used to be. They're still good, but not quite what they used to be from about Monsters Inc-Toy Story 3. Maybe more new IPs will get them back on track, but we'll see.

I can agree and disagree in some regards. I find that some of the original team that is responsible for making the original films, are growing older and won't be around forever. Part of what got them lost is trying to get new generations of storytellers to the table to carry on with the Pixar formula. I think it has been a rough transition. Pixar still has the likes of Pete Docter, Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich, though - and they are largely responsible for much of the classics we know of that define Pixar today. They're not going to be around forever unfortunately so new generations need to live up to what they've done.

I think part of the problem has been sequels, not just a generational transition. Toy Story 3 was the last sequel that was accepted, but then we had Cars 2 and then everything else went downhill. Then we had Monsters University, Finding Dory and then Cars 3 - absolutely no one asked for these. While Incredibles 2 had the most demand for a sequel, the movie felt relatively safer than the daring first entry in the series, unfortunately. Not all these movies are bad, particularly, but most of them feel safe and unlike what made Pixar a staple name in the first place.

One thing that's promising about the Onward trailer is when it goes on with the "from the creators of --" cards, they show the original Toy Story rather than Toy Story 2 or 3, as well as The Incredibles rather than Incredibles 2. I noticed how they chose to flaunt the original works in that trailer over the sequels - which to me is a bit subtle but also an awareness people love the originals best. I think they are trying to go back to those glory days.

#17 Posted by Master_Live (19468 posts) -

Produce good movies, don't matter if they are sequels or not.

#18 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79311 posts) -

Never got my Bug's Life sequel... :(

#19 Posted by Stranger_36 (663 posts) -

Cool.

#20 Posted by Blair5 (16 posts) -

tbh I am not even surprised, as a humanity we have come a long way and its hard to think of something completely new, something no one has ever thought of, so we go back into recreating older things