#1 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4865 posts) -

Pick an example from the this link, then provide a description of your example to Illustrate and discuss.

One example from me comes from numero 21: "The future keeps getting better but we often fear it."

Even when the rest of our family had smartphones, it took years to convince my mother that they are safe. She loves them now, but we still joke about putting our phones in the freezer to prevent the unwanted from listening to us talk irl.

#2 Posted by XVision84 (16252 posts) -

The future doesn't keep getting better though. People fear the unknown for many reasons, one being that it could hold disaster. People were right to fear cellphones because it's long term use consequences weren't well studied.

It turned out well for cell phones but other technologies (such as x rays or thalidomide) had lethal consequences. If things improved since then, it's because progress was built on the corpses/tragedies of those before us.

It's a great article though, thanks for sharing :). I especially like "the more you know, the more you realize you know nothing". This could basically be the tagline for science lol. It's amazing looking back on the limited conception of the world primitive scientists had and imagining us in their position. This is especially profound when looking at the potential for future technologies to craft an almost unrecognizable future. We still don't know about the majority of what goes on in our universe, such as dark matter or spacetime or even gravity at the quantum level.

#3 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19966 posts) -

21. You don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone.

I've lost a lot. I've lost friends, I've lost my health, I've lost my youth, I've lost family, I just haven't lost at life.

It's a blessing and a tragic at the same time to have experienced it all at such a young age to adult into my 20s.

#4 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4865 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet: I admire your tenacity. Stay strong!

#5 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79344 posts) -

I'm just going with one that isn't on the list.

"I have to go to work to buy video games. I can't play video games because I have to work."

That actually applies to everything. We want to buy and do fun things, but we need money to do it. Very rarely are we afforded the time to enjoy those things because we spend more time at work then we do at home. Finding a healthy work/life balance is very hard.

#6 Posted by pook99 (869 posts) -

The only constant is change.

That is the one that resonates most with me from that list. It seems like every time I'm finding stability something happens that rocks my world, as much as I want stability I can never have it for too long. The only constant in my life is change, right now I am going through another huge change, I don't know where I will end up when all is said and done, but all I could do is ride the wave and hope for the best.

#7 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4865 posts) -

@pook99: Good luck to you!