PewDiePie made 4 MILLION dollars in 2013!!

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Link to the story:http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/219305/Popular_YouTuber_PewDiePie_generated_4_million_in_2013.php

I always knew that guy made some serious cash, but 4 million dollars!!! Man, oh man. Congrats to him.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#2 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

You see...this is why being a YouTube Let's Player is a perfectly valid career path.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

Isn't he part of a network, though? He probably had to pay a lot of that out to whoever he's working under. YT networks suck a lot of money out of their content creators.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

BRHD is next and he will publicly shun those of you who berated him.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

If most of it was personal profit, pray that he saves it and doesn't blow it on stupid shit.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

You see...this is why being a YouTube Let's Player is a perfectly valid career path.

If you are smart, if you know what you're doing, and if you're lucky.

Keep in mind that most people making Youtube videos are none of those things.

FishySquash15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FishySquash15
Member since 2014 • 49 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@Kevlar101 said:

If you are smart, if you know what you're doing, and if you're lucky.

Keep in mind that most people making Youtube videos are none of those things.

Well it could still be used for some extra cash on the side. Even if you don't make that much off of it, you would still get a little bit of cash at least.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@behardy24:

never herd of him...

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

I subscribe him just to watch his "other funny Video" ........ the rest are Game spoiler

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

I wonder if he really gets all those hits or if he's using some kind of system that makes fake viewings to get add revenues. Anyhow, at first I thought he was super annoying, then he kind of grew on me with some of his videos. I like his Walking Dead playthrough videos.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

Not if you're a boring gamer. Pewdiepie tries really hard to be funny which somehow appeals to a lot of people. Maybe its his Swedish accent or how his face can look really weird and dumb sometimes. Maybe it's because he's a terrible gamer who dies a lot and jumps at each horror games jump scares. Watching him isn't boring like a lot of other gamers who try to be funny. Some think that just cursing at things is funny when it really isn't. I can't stand those guys who sound bored and when all of a sudden something hits them. "you motherfucker! Piece of shit! Shiiiiittttttt!". It's like, come on man... that's not funny, try again.

You have to be interesting to be a successful Let's Player. Or a really attractive girl like, SSSniperwolf. She's an extremely boring person to watch, all she plays is Call of Duty and Metal Gear and talks about random stuff like shopping in her videos, but she's really attractive and she cosplays, so the subs just keep on coming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

I wonder if he really gets all those hits or if he's using some kind of system that makes fake viewings to get add revenues. Anyhow, at first I thought he was super annoying, then he kind of grew on me with some of his videos. I like his Walking Dead playthrough videos.

If he did that he would be stealing millions from Google and his advertisers. I highly doubt he would have lasted this long.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

@xdude85 said:

I miss the days where YouTube was a hobby, and not an "occupation."

Seriously, **** this guy, he's unfunny as shit and a majority of his fans are

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

good for him

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

it's like any other industry. there's a million people doing it, some will do it well and make a shitload of money. most will not.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Good for him. He knows his audience and panders directly to what they want to see.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#23 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I can't stand the guy, but if all it takes to make that kind of dough is to act like a moron on camera when I play games that aren't scary, I'd do it.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Congrats to him, he's not my favorite you tube gamer but I respect what he's done.

He's so influetional on gaming, any game he does a let's play on gets a spike in sales.

My favorite you tube let's players are markipiler, hc baily, cryaotic and naliff. (Although naliff is inactive currently)

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

Not really.

Because 1 guy gets load of money doesn't mean everyone can

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

The majority of youtube personalities seems to be proof you don't need talent or develop a skill to be successful.

- Have boobs, be a girl.

- Create misleading thumb images

- Create cynical videos telling us how things are shit

- Play a game and use a wacky voice (because that's how you do comedy)

Wala, your rich as ****.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Good for him. If the world is such a place that is largely populated by asinine halfwits, I'm not going to condemn anyone taking advantage of their idiocy. The guy is only smart enough to provide them with what they crave and desire.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

One lucky bastard who makes millions with crappy gameplay videos while others more skilled gamers ( Lots of there on Youtube) hardly get any recognition who make actual helpful gameplay or tips videos. He is like Justin Beaver who got his fame due to idiot viewers and subscribers.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@indzman said:

One lucky bastard who makes millions with crappy gameplay videos while others more skilled gamers ( Lots of there on Youtube) hardly get any recognition who make actual helpful gameplay or tips videos. He is like Justin Beaver who got his fame due to idiot viewers and subscribers.

Pretty much this.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@thegerg said:

@xdude85 said:

Seriously, **** this guy, he's unfunny as shit and a majority of his fans are retards.

Stop whining, hater.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
@ShepardCommandr said:

good for him

/thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Marketing at it's finest. This isn't over many more will make millions off social media. These days it is about having the most followers, everyone wanna be jesus or the devil.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

@toast_burner said:

@lamprey263 said:

If he did that he would be stealing millions from Google and his advertisers. I highly doubt he would have lasted this long.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got busted in future, his 27 million subscribers raises an eyebrow. YouTube busted the music industry for faking video views and likes, but they were claiming hundreds of millions or billions of views in like no time at all. PewDiePie probably does something similar on a smaller scale and a lot slower.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Holy shit balls, 27 million subs? That's three times the population of his home country, Sweden.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Ad-revenue can rake in some serious cash, particularly if you know how to target the main target audience of Youtube (12 year olds). Whoever knows how to best appeal to the lowest common denominator wins!

@gamerguru100 said:

Holy shit balls, 27 million subs? That's three times the population of his home country, Sweden.

Youtube subscriptions have a snow-ball effect. There are a million+ channels that automatically subscribe to you if they find your username, and request that you subscribe back. Even my Youtube accounts, which I don't even use, have 1000+ subscribers. If I can get thousands of subscribers without actually uploading anything, Pewdiepie can get millions of subscribers without much effort at all. How many of them are real people? No idea, it's likely only a small fraction of that number.

Remember Gangnam-style and how popular it was? What if I told you that it wasn't popular at all, and that someone in Thailand simply amassed millions of views on the video using bots? Eventually you realize Youtube has nothing to do with talent, it's just marketing and exploitation. If Pewdiepie didn't exploit his circumstances which only exist due to Youtube's lackadaisical popularity sorting algorithms, he'd be a nobody. In the end, it's Youtube who decides who's popular, and whoever's popular just so happens to perfectly align with Youtube's best interests.

This also explains why many popular YT personalities hate Youtube - YT interferes with personalities whom they can't "puppet". This means that if Youtube can't utilize your image and personality to sell their advertisements, then they don't like you and will interfere with your channel. Plenty of Youtubers have come out saying that Youtube offers to write their material for them, if they simply do everything they're told - most YT personalities then respond by saying "**** Youtube" and uploading a bunch of angry rants to their channel. This is because YT often threatens Youtuber's who don't dumb their content down and make it safe for kids.

Sounds conspiracy-like, but it's actually common place and is more or less how Youtube operates. There's no "Scout's Honor" system in play, where the most genuinely talented people on Youtube get equal shots at becoming e-famous. Youtube is a very calculated website, with emphasis on generating money. It's a business, just like the majority of social media.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#37  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@Kevlar101 said:

Not really.

But there are quite a lot of Let's Players who make money that way.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
@Kevlar101 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@Kevlar101 said:

Not really.

But there are quite a lot of Let's Players who make money that way.

Not a lot, a few now. Many of the people who had 4-500k subs doing those videos or gaming commentaries are basically making minimum wage. Still not bad but not nearly what they were making from before The well is pretty dry right now forcing those people who use to make over 100 grand to actually get a real job

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#39 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@4myAmuzumament said:

You made me lol for real :) .

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KHAndAnime

@speedfog said:

@4myAmuzumament said:

You made me lol for real :) .

BRHD is no Mr. Chi City, that's for sure.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@xdude85 said:

Stop watching this shit people, this guy is a fucktard.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By KHAndAnime

@jer_1 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@xdude85 said:

Stop watching this shit people, this guy is a fucktard.

I doubt anybody here watches the stuff. Ever since the inclusion of Google+ to Youtube, I noticed Youtube accounts now storing a lot more personal information, as well as real life photos for avatars. If you actually look at the comments from the G+ accounts, they're practically all little kids. I don't mean just read the comments, but actually go to each commentor's profile page and look at their personal information, as well as other videos they watch - the majority are no doubt kids. Like, literally, 11-14 year old kids. It's not like kids care about diversifying their tastes or seeking out obscure content either, so I wouldn't be surprised if his entire fanbase consisted of children.

Little kids love videogames, and if you're a kid who likes videogames, there's no doubt you've encountered Pewdiepie at least once on Youtube. I'm not saying that to put him down or anyone down, it's more just an observation.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#43 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

The ironic part is Pew is a college drop out. Next thing we will see is in a few months a swarm of people trying to create a youtube channel thinking they will make miliions.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

Good for him.

It's also great to see him use his YouTube popularity to help support various charities.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

But his fan cult are the worst.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Shotgun. Mouth.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@jasean79 said:

@xdude85 said:

Seriously, **** this guy, he's unfunny as shit and a majority of his fans are retards.

You really can't get mad at him though. If his "viewers" are dumb enough to watch his videos and support him, it's on them. Hell, if I knew a sure fire way to get millions by acting like a dumbass, you'd be damn sure I'd be doing it.

This is pretty much what it comes down to. He acts like a moron, but it could possibly be an act. Who knows? I'd never watch his videos, but a lot of people seem to enjoy it. You can get mad at him for stooping to stupidity to make money off idiots, but for $4million, who wouldn't do the same? It's not like he's charging people to watch his videos.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

BRHD is no Mr. Chi City, that's for sure.

I WISH MrChiCity3 was on GS forums lol. Dude hasn't shot a video in years. :/

not worried though, probably doing his thang.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

**** the haters. I've never seen this guy's videos, and if I did, I probably would think that they're shit. But that's neither here nor there, a lot of people are hating this guy because "I don't like him so he shouldn't be successful." And my tolerance for that kind of shit is rapidly diminishing. Whether or not his videos are garbage, he's creating content and giving people what they want. Meanwhile a lot of people want him to go away simply because "I don't like him." **** that shit. It's a lot easier to destroy than to create. It takes little effort to break down what others make, and a lot more effort to actually make something that people fucking want.

Think his work is shit and he doesn't deserve his success? If it were so freaking easy to get successful doing what he does, then everyone would be doing it.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

**** the haters. I've never seen this guy's videos, and if I did, I probably would think that they're shit. But that's neither here nor there, a lot of people are hating this guy because "I don't like him so he shouldn't be successful." And my tolerance for that kind of shit is rapidly diminishing. Whether or not his videos are garbage, he's creating content and giving people what they want. Meanwhile a lot of people want him to go away simply because "I don't like him." **** that shit. It's a lot easier to destroy than to create. It takes little effort to break down what others make, and a lot more effort to actually make something that people fucking want.

Think his work is shit and he doesn't deserve his success? If it were so freaking easy to get successful doing what he does, then everyone would be doing it.