Petition to Recall Gov. Walker (R-WI) gets over 1 million signatures

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Madison - Democrats and organizers filed petitions Tuesday afternoon with more than a million signatures as they sought to force a recall election against Gov. Scott Walker - a massive number that seems to cement a historic recall election against him for later this year.

It would mark the first such gubernatorial recall in state history and would be only the third gubernatorial recall election in U.S. history. Organizers Tuesday also handed in 845,000 signatures against Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch as well as petitions against four GOP state senators including Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald of Juneau.

The sheer number of signatures being filed against Walker - nearly as many as the total votes cast for the governor in November 2010 and almost twice as many as those needed to trigger a recall election - ensure the election will be held, said officials with the state Democratic Party and United Wisconsin, the group that launched the Walker recall.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/recall18-8g3r7ui-137489833.html

Should provide for another interesting election come November. What surprises me is that the number of signatures is almost as many as the total votes cast in 2010. Even assuming some of the signatures are fake, still suggests voter turnout may be a lot higher this election. That said, that should be true of both parties, so it's tough to guage what the result will be, especially with (to my knowledge) no clear Democratic candidate to oppose Walker.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#2 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

I know the mayor of Milwaukee is one Democratic candidate.

Also, Obey is a challenger.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Should be interesting. Hopefully unions will get another big upset.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 THE_DRUGGIE

airshocker

Or, if you lived in the state, you would hope Walker would get recalled.

Then again, it's not like children need trivial things like a decent education or anything. Only jobs matter!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Then again, it's not like children need trivial things like a decent education or anything. Only jobs matter!

THE_DRUGGIE

You're making the argument that unionized teachers provide decent educations? :lol:

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

airshocker

You're making the argument that unionized teachers provide decent educations? :lol:

Yes, because I actually know that union teachers are actually able to ask for materials and negotiate better salaries through a feedback system that ensures communication between those who set the curriculum and the people who carry out teaching it.

At least it was that way before Walker.

Then again, you are entitled to your opinion, which was more than likely formed through stereotypical jokes from MadTV and Fox News.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Yes, because I actually know that union teachers are actually able to ask for materials and negotiate better salaries through a feedback system that ensures communication between those who set the curriculum and the people who carry out teaching it.

Then again, you are entitled to your opinion, which was more than likely formed through stereotypical jokes from MadTV and Fox News.

THE_DRUGGIE

You forgot to point out that union teachers only care about themselves and not their students, as proven by the strikes during the schoolyear against Gov. Walker's measures.

Actually my opinion was greatly influenced by Waiting on Superman. Unions cost too much and are a detriment to a students education. Who knows what position we'd be in if half the money that goes to unions actually goes to a students education.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

airshocker

You forgot to point out that union teachers only care about themselves and not their students, as proven by the strikes during the schoolyear against Gov. Walker's measures.

Actually my opinion was greatly influenced by Waiting on Superman. Unions cost too much and are a detriment to a students education. Who knows what position we'd be in if half the money that goes to unions actually goes to a students education.

Unions are a way for teachers to actually teach in a manner that they feel is effective without having to worry about being let go for not adhering strictly to whatever the political climate wants them to teach. Unions let teachers get benefits they deserve by allowing educators to retire comfortably after years of practice, but sadly Walker wanted to end that.

Really, nixing of unions for teachers is giving government too much power...something I thought you were against, come to think of it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
Good. People should have the right to recall politicians that are contrary to the good of the constituency....
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

He's still not going to get voted out. They don't have anybody decent to run against him. Just some union puppets.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

THE_DRUGGIE

Unions are a way for teachers to actually teach in a manner that they feel is effective without having to worry about being let go for not adhering strictly to whatever the political climate wants them to teach. Unions let teachers get benefits they deserve by allowing educators to retire comfortably after years of practice, but sadly Walker wanted to end that.

Really, nixing of unions for teachers is giving government too much power...something I thought you were against, come to think of it.

That's one way of looking at it. Another way is for the union leaders to have executive control over the local and state education budgets while stagnating the wages of teachers over the past 10 years. Of which they have done very well.

They all get their big houses and teachers haven't seen a decent salary raise in 10+ years in the state.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chessmaster1989

airshocker
In all honesty, I have much bigger problems with some of the other things Walker did, such as an ~800 million cut to education, than with his union stance.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Viva la causa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

THE_DRUGGIE

Sounds nice in theory, but in reality that's not what happens. They put strangleholds on local governments and strong-arm them to promote policy that benefit only unions. And tax payers are on the hook for it. Money doesn't go to the children who are being educated.

I'm not talking about nixing unions, I'm talking about putting a modicum of control over them. Of course I'm going to side with the government when it tries to save me money.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

THE_DRUGGIE

Indeed. This disgusting state of American education isn't the result of Unions, it's the result of right wingers out to destroy public institutions.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wasdie  Moderator

Indeed. This disgusting state of American education isn't the result of Unions, it's the result of right wingers out to destroy public institutions.

htekemerald

You both have proven you have no idea how the edcuation system in this nation works.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

In all honesty, I have much bigger problems with some of the other things Walker did, such as an ~800 million cut to education, than with his union stance.chessmaster1989

Is that the amount saved after what his legislation did to the unions?

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Awww unions were not able to pay him off like every other politician so now they need to cry like teh babiez they are...
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 htekemerald

[QUOTE="htekemerald"]

Wasdie

You both have proven you have no idea how the edcuation system in this nation works.

Do go on, the babbling of american right wing shills is always good entertainment.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]In all honesty, I have much bigger problems with some of the other things Walker did, such as an ~800 million cut to education, than with his union stance.airshocker

Is that the amount saved after what his legislation did to the unions?

Looking through articles on the matter, I'm not certain, however I do not believe it is. It appears to be a separate measure done in an attempt to address the budget shortfall, and not in direct connection to the public union collective bargaining measures.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

I'm sure Mickey and Minnie Mouse signed away with much furor.:lol: The unions will gather signatures by any means necessary, including calling upon their power of necromancy.

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts
Why all the union hate? Don't you remember? The "free market" decided what your work value was, somewhere around .32 a day or something. Then along came the unions and then along came the middle class. How wonderful! They might be a bit obsolete at this point but there is certainly still a place for unions in the American work force. Just another right wing boogeyman.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chessmaster1989

I'm sure Mickey and Minnie Mouse signed away with much furor.:lol: The unions will gather signatures by any means necessary, including calling upon their power of necromancy.

QuistisTrepe_
Do you have non-speculative evidence that a sizable number of these signatures were forged?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Looking through articles on the matter, I'm not certain, however I do not believe it is. It appears to be a separate measure done in an attempt to address the budget shortfall, and not in direct connection to the public union collective bargaining measures.chessmaster1989

Well, Christie had to strip funding from education in order to balance the budget. He then replaced everything he took out when the situation was under control.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Why all the union hate? Don't you remember? The "free market" decided what your work value was, somewhere around .32 a day or something. Then along came the unions and then along came the middle class. How wonderful! They might be a bit obsolete at this point but there is certainly still a place for unions in the American work force. Just another right wing boogeyman.BrianB0422

No one has said unions haven't done good things, but some of them have been corrupted over time. They need to be fixed.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
[QUOTE="BrianB0422"]Why all the union hate? Don't you remember? The "free market" decided what your work value was, somewhere around .32 a day or something. Then along came the unions and then along came the middle class. How wonderful! They might be a bit obsolete at this point but there is certainly still a place for unions in the American work force. Just another right wing boogeyman.

Increased wages and workplace safety was increasing before the unions had a strong foothold like they had in the sixties. Also, unions were much stronger in the sixties and wages that have stagnated are in industries where the unions were strong vs industries that never had unions.
BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts
[QUOTE="DaBrainz"][QUOTE="BrianB0422"]Why all the union hate? Don't you remember? The "free market" decided what your work value was, somewhere around .32 a day or something. Then along came the unions and then along came the middle class. How wonderful! They might be a bit obsolete at this point but there is certainly still a place for unions in the American work force. Just another right wing boogeyman.

Increased wages and workplace safety was increasing before the unions had a strong foothold like they had in the sixties. Also, unions were much stronger in the sixties and wages that have stagnated are in industries where the unions were strong vs industries that never had unions.

You're right. Most of the beginnings were from government intervention. Sending National Guard troops to HELP workers occupy a plant and such. As a side note that had me laughing, could you imagine the outrage if Obama did that?
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

Why all the union hate? Don't you remember? The "free market" decided what your work value was, somewhere around .32 a day or something. Then along came the unions and then along came the middle class. How wonderful! They might be a bit obsolete at this point but there is certainly still a place for unions in the American work force. Just another right wing boogeyman.BrianB0422

Oh man,,,,

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

chessmaster1989

Do you have non-speculative evidence that a sizable number of these signatures were forged?

Don't forget that some of those false signatures may also be people against the Recall effort trying to make it look bad. ;) False signatures go both ways ;)

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 htekemerald

[QUOTE="BrianB0422"]Why all the union hate? Don't you remember? The "free market" decided what your work value was, somewhere around .32 a day or something. Then along came the unions and then along came the middle class. How wonderful! They might be a bit obsolete at this point but there is certainly still a place for unions in the American work force. Just another right wing boogeyman.airshocker

No one has said unions haven't done good things, but some of them have been corrupted over time. They need to be fixed.

Other than some questionable anecdotes from the radical right I've seen nothing that convinces me that Unions have, by and large, become corrupt.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Other than some questionable anecdotes from the radical right I've seen nothing that convinces me that Unions have, by and large, become corrupt.

htekemerald

Why am I not surprised? :lol:

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
he should be taken out
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 htekemerald

[QUOTE="htekemerald"]

airshocker

Why am I not surprised? :lol:

I'd imagine you're quite accustomed to being wrong, hence it would cease to surprise you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I'd imagine your quite accustomed to being wrong, hence it would cease to surprise you.

htekemerald

Thankfully I have a pretty good bit of proof as to why unions are corrupt.

Waiting for Superman

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
The liberation of Roma has begun.
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 htekemerald

[QUOTE="htekemerald"]

I'd imagine your quite accustomed to being wrong, hence it would cease to surprise you.

airshocker

Thankfully I have a pretty good bit of proof as to why unions are corrupt.

Waiting for Superman

That's it? A piece of debunked infotainment? :lol:

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

That would be really funny if they recalled walker and elected Gray Davis.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
The liberation of Roma has begun.scorch-62
Hehehehe...
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

htekemerald

Correction: A piece of debunked infotainment made by the director of An Inconvenient Truth.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

htekemerald

Debunked by whom? Union-funded liberal researchers?

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

The fact that once broke school systems in Wisconsin now have money and at least in one, appears to have hired more teachers due to the changes made shows that Walker did the right thing. Last year some time, I posted how one school system was on the verge of going to a different health care system for their teachers over the one the union offered and was previously only available to the teachers, when suddenly, the union found that they could offer it cheaper than they previously could. Imagine that.

MI Report Chronicles Success of Wisconsin Budget Reforms has the How Wisconsin's School Districts are Saving Money as a Result
of 2011's Act 10 Legislation
which includes savings on health care as stated in the article:

When tracked against the Wisconsin Association of School Boards' listing of health insurance providers, it appears that many of the districts that are taking action to either change their current insurance or plan were under contract with the same company – WEA Trust. Nine of the 12 identified districts (information for Menasha Joint School District was unavailable at the time of publication) were WEA Trust customers as recently at the 2009-10 school year. WPS, Security, and Medica were the other three providers in the group.
linked article

Notice that WEA Trust is from the unions in the state. WEAC, the Wisconsin teacher's union is also laying off 40% of staff according to Bargaining changes cast uncertainty on union's future due to feeling the effects of the new rule. Seems to me that the union was bigger than it needed to be and living off the backs of those that they were supposed to be backing.

The Washington Examiner, in the Wisconsin schools buck union to cut health costs has this to say:

That's where Wisconsin's new budget law came in. The law, bitterly opposed by organized labor in the state and across the nation, limits the collective bargaining powers of some public employees. And it just happens that the Hartland-Lakeside teachers' collective bargaining agreement expired on June 30. So now, freed from the expensive WEA Trust deal, the school district has changed insurers.

"It's going to save us about $690,000 in 2011-2012," says Schilling. Insurance costs that had been about $2.5 million a year will now be around $1.8 million. What union leaders said would be a catastrophe will in fact be a boon to teachers and students.

But the effect of weakening collective bargaining goes beyond money. It also has the potential to reshape the adversarial culture that often afflicts public education. In Hartland-Lakeside, there's been no war between union-busting bureaucrats on one side and impassioned teachers on the other; Schilling speaks with great collegiality toward the teachers and says with pride that they've been able to work together on big issues. But there has been a deep division between the school district and top union executives.

In the health insurance talks, for example, Schilling last year began telling teachers about different insurance plans, some of which, like United HealthCare's, required a higher deductible. "We involved them, and they overwhelmingly endorsed the change to United HealthCare," he says. But even with the teachers on board, when school officials presented a change-in-coverage proposal to union officials, it was immediately rejected. The costly WEA Trust deal stayed in place.
linked Washington Examiner Article

Those measures by Walker has been a boon for most school systems. Some are still struggling, but eventually, they will get the hang of it or they will screw themselves over. While I don't pay taxes in Wisconsin, I have plenty of kin who do and why should they have to pay for all of the benefits that teachers receive when they do not get such even through the unions that they may belong to?