Pet food or human food ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

So with all the poison foods for pets going around, i'm starting to think of giving my dogs human food, instead of their regular pet food. I have always gave them only pet food, only a few bones here and there from real chicken, ect. I changed up the food bag the other day, and they got sick, throwing up and stuff, so i'm back to their regular dry food. I am starting to think pet food is dangerous right now, and maybe i should be giving them human food instead. How many of you give your doggies human food ? I wonder if thats a good thing ? Not sure what to decided on.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/05/24/lead-mercury-arsenic-cadmium-found-in-popular-pet-foods/

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Sorry to hear about your dogs having trouble but this turned out to be less dark than I thought, looking at the thread title. I thought you were down on your luck and were asking us if you should start eating pet food to save money :p

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

What kind of food do you feed them? I always use meat based, grain free high quality food.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LexLas

@ferrari2001 said:

What kind of food do you feed them? I always use meat based, grain free high quality food.

I like to try different ones, but it seems their system is only used to Purina first choice, or something like that. They are good now, but got scared for a minute. I am just not taking my chances with different foods now. Thats why i'm starting to ask myself, is it ok to give them rice and foods like we eat daily ?

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

You shouldn't feed them human food. >=0

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@LexLas said:
@ferrari2001 said:

I like to try different ones, but it seems their system is only used to Purina first choice, or something like that. They are good now, but got scared for a minute. I am just not taking my chances with different foods now. Thats why i'm starting to ask myself, is it ok to give them rice and foods like we eat daily ?

First choice is a decent choice. I'm using Pure Balance, (it's Walmart's premium dog food brand). It's a very good dog food.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

You've been giving your dogs chicken bones? And they have died yet?

It's best to make your own dog food rather than either buy it or feed them human food. The latter usually doesn't give adequate nutrition.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

You really shouldn't be giving your dogs chicken bones.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

You've been giving your dogs chicken bones? And they have died yet?

It's best to make your own dog food rather than either buy it or feed them human food. The latter usually doesn't give adequate nutrition.

This! You should NEVER feed your dog chicken bones! You should give them skinless chicken, w/NO BONES, and wild rice

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LexLas

@thegerg said:

@FireEmblem_Man:

Dogs are carnivores, they're really not equipped to eat a lot of grain like rice. Also, chicken skin is full of nutrients that are good for dogs. Ditch the rice, leave the skin on.

Chicken skin, i can do, will do. No more bones ..

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

dogs shouldn't be eating processed food and salt,it's not good for them

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LexLas

@ShepardCommandr said:

dogs shouldn't be eating processed food and salt,it's not good for them

Ok, what the heck ? i gotta ask the vet. My kids grandma give her dogs human fool almost always, they are huge healthy German shepherds ? Mines are little doggies, so maybe its different.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

My dogs mainly eat plain chicken, no seasoning. Without the skin. Thing is, my mom doesn't buy chicken breasts for them. But legs and thighs. Which takes a hell lot longer to prepare and cook. Asides from being higher in fat. And because of the bones present, you then have to pull the chicken apart by hand. So you can cut it in small pieces to feed them, and remove the bones and not so edible parts.

But back to dog food. Its best to research quality brands and check the ingredients. Sometimes saw dust or low quality meats make it in the final product. Also, older dogs also need to be eating senior dog food. So we had to get rid of some dog food we were buying for years. Since our oldest dogs had trouble digesting it.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jak42

@thegerg: We do occasionally give them bones. But we take them away within hours of giving them, as they end up fighting for the bones.

Wild dogs may eat raw and what not. But the quality of meat is a lot higher and can even be safer to eat. Than what you'll find in the average slaughterhouse.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jak42

@thegerg: Well that's true.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@LexLas: define "real" chicken.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

I have been giving my dog human food for years. Now when I saw human food, I meant food that is appropriate for dogs that they are allowed to eat. Such as rice, beef, carrots, nothing that would consider dangerous for her. But it is something you should talk to your vet about.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

Feed your Dog, Kibblse N Bits.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@LexLas said:

So with all the poison foods for pets going around, i'm starting to think of giving my dogs human food, instead of their regular pet food. I have always gave them only pet food, only a few bones here and there from real chicken, ect. I changed up the food bag the other day, and they got sick, throwing up and stuff, so i'm back to their regular dry food. I am starting to think pet food is dangerous right now, and maybe i should be giving them human food instead. How many of you give your doggies human food ? I wonder if thats a good thing ? Not sure what to decided on.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/05/24/lead-mercury-arsenic-cadmium-found-in-popular-pet-foods/

Dog food is not much different from human food. So you really just have to ask yourself if you'd like to eat roman noodles every day instead of something decent.

I, cook my own dog food. It has to be cooked twice a week and... meh... id actually say its probably the same price as a med-high quality dog food. That said, my dog is a maltipoo so this could be an option i have because its a smaller dog. A larger dog would probably be much more expensive, time consuming and a pain probably. The mix i make (that was recommended by vets) is basically a stew with rice in it. Carrots, beef, beef stock, celery, corn, peas, green beans, rice. All finely diced and cooked.

But if you cant afford it or dont have the time i wouldnt freak out about that article. Growing up i had a German Sheppard and she ate the cheapest of the cheap dog food and still lived to be 19. You should ask your vet though. The only reason i do it is because its common for maltipoo to have food related throat problems and digestive issues and this reduces the chances of these problems.

And as a side note, the oldest cat lived to be 36 and he was fed eggs bacon broccoli coffee and toast every day.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@thegerg said:

@davillain-:

"Feed your Dog, Kibblse N Bits."

Haha, your posts are so ridiculous sometimes I think you're intentionally fucking up English as much as you can.

Oh, you.