Personal experiences on living a satisfied life?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TF626 (592 posts) -

Does anybody have any secrets to living a satisfying life? I feel as of late, I haven't been living the life I wanted to. Seeing all my friends settled in, makes me feel like my life has just flown by, but I also acknowledge the fact that I have to change in order to be happy.

I've looked on the internet and read articles. But what has worked for you? Some opinions would be nice.

#2 Edited by Makhaidos (2162 posts) -

Ha. That's funny. You're funny.

#3 Posted by one_plum (6499 posts) -

1. Find a philosophy / philosopher with inspiring ideas. Read books related to that subject. Lao Tzu is my personal favourite.

2. Find a hobby that is worth your time.

3. Find a career that you're passionate in, not just one that pays your bills.

4. Volunteer

5. Step out of your comfort zone

6. Watch the film Yes Man

#5 Posted by KiIIyou (27180 posts) -

Just do want ya wanna do, spend as little amount of time thinking about it as you can, and don't be afraid of doing it!!

With that happy part, just don't compare your life to other and don't give no crumbs about what others think about ya, I don't mean totally of course hehe, but if someone calls you crazy for being yourself, then foop them.

#6 Edited by foxhound_fox (96404 posts) -

Live in the moment.

#8 Posted by i_waaan (62 posts) -

A lot of people complicate life by taking jobs they don't like and rationalize that to themselves by thinking they need to take what they can get to pay their bills......but that's a bunch of bull. Life is too short. The only thing anyone ever needs to do to live a good life is to chase their dreams. Cliché, but the truth. Become the person you pictured yourself being when you were a child. Set out and make things you envisioned earlier in life a reality. At least TRY, at least GO for it...because then when you look back on everything, you can say you gave it your best shot.

#9 Edited by Toxic-Seahorse (4987 posts) -

@i_waaan said:

A lot of people complicate life by taking jobs they don't like and rationalize that to themselves by thinking they need to take what they can get to pay their bills......but that's a bunch of bull. Life is too short. The only thing anyone ever needs to do to live a good life is to chase their dreams. Cliché, but the truth. Become the person you pictured yourself being when you were a child. Set out and make things you envisioned earlier in life a reality. At least TRY, at least GO for it...because then when you look back on everything, you can say you gave it your best shot.

That's all fine and good if you actually have an idea of what you want to be. Most people don't.

#10 Edited by 2saugat (1344 posts) -

Listen to few of Joe Rogan's podcasts. I find them pretty interesting..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAeQg_RomNo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSW6qtH5UvU

#11 Posted by foxhound_fox (96404 posts) -
@i_waaan said:

Nothing wrong with wanting the ability to enjoy what life has to offer, including luxuries.

#12 Posted by junglist101 (5517 posts) -

What I can tell you is that simply progressing through life in the prescribed manor (good job, wife, house, kids, etc) will not be responsible for your happiness.

#13 Posted by British_Azimio (2459 posts) -
@roulettethedog said:

Drink lots of beer.

From years of personal experience, I have to say this man is on to something.

#14 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

@junglist101 said:

What I can tell you is that simply progressing through life in the prescribed manor (good job, wife, house, kids, etc) will not be responsible for your happiness.

i feel like that's why i am unhappy atm cause i have none of those.

#15 Posted by mjf249 (3000 posts) -

If you want to be happy in life, the biggest thing I learned is you have to accept and be comfortable with who you are. I don't think a lot of people truly know themselves. If there is a goal you would like to achieve pursue it. You'll look back on this someday, and realize your life passed you by. Remember we are only in this world for a small amount of time. Take advantage of it, get out of your comfortable zone.

Also find a job you are passionate about, as they say if you find a job you truly enjoy, you'll never work a single day in your life.

#17 Posted by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

You want to be satisfied? Think about all you got being gone, imagine it so hard that you almost convince yourself that it's true for a moment. Then see everything you got is still there with you.

Better yet, have yourself dream a nightmare that any of your loved ones are gone then wake up from that nightmare and see that that loved one of yours is still alive and well. Or any nightmare like that. But I don't know how you're gonna force it though.

#18 Edited by mindstorm (15254 posts) -

Don't live for the sake of yourself but for the sake of others.

Be appreciative and always content in what you already have.

Never be stagnant in life, always pursuing your goals.

Seek to know the graciousness of God - being in awe of him truly is a fantastic notion.

Believe in something bigger than yourself.

#19 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -

@-Renegade said:

@junglist101 said:

i feel like that's why i am unhappy atm cause i have none of those.

Happiness comes from within.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_lance
#20 Edited by Lone_Wolf_Lance (124 posts) -

Satisfied life... meh. All I can say is that procrastination is a bitch.

#21 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

Beer.

#22 Posted by Shottayouth13- (7011 posts) -

Care less.