People should stop watching the news

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

I havn't read or watched the news in a while, and because of that Ia'm generally a happy person, people should care for their own lifes and not worry about someone getting killed half way accross the world, it has nothing to do with you, you can't do anything about it, all it is going to do is make you depressed, care about what is going on around your life, and news is full of Government propaganda anyways. Same goes with all these celebs ass kissers, stop giving them attention they don't deserve, they don't know or care for you, so stop worring about their personal lifes, care about your own family and friends.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I couldn't agree more..
Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Matthew-first
Member since 2005 • 3318 Posts

My TV has only one channel... Comedy Central haha ;d
And yea I don't watch news... I have the same views on it as you do.
Propaganda everywhere.. lol

But I have recently seen that Prince Harry... running... to catch up with soldiers... I have no idea where though... I have laughed my ass off... Literally :D
Maybe he was chasing the Ice Cream Truck? :D hehehe.

That's so hilarious... :lol: that was so arranged... :roll:

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
I take it you never discuss world events with friends and co-workers?
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
I think people should certainly stop supporting the mainstream media.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I really agree.

Most news news networks and programmes are aiming at shock and awe, and a kind of morbid entertainment rather then factual news. It harms way more then it does good, since so many people seem to watch news and rarely if ever ask questions about it.

I tend to read my news, and read the sources. Alot less stressful, and rarely made to attract as many viewers as possible but rather try to portray an objective news. Journalists this day and age really should feel ashamed :(

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I havn't read or watched the news in a while, and because of that Ia'm generally a happy person, people should care for their own lifes and not worry about someone getting killed half way accross the world, it has nothing to do with you, you can't do anything about it, all it is going to do is make you depressed, care about what is going on around your life, and news is full of Government propaganda anyways. Same goes with all these celebs ass kissers, stop giving them attention they don't deserve, they don't know or care for you, so stop worring about their personal lifes, care about your own family and friends.

ultimate-k

I watch only the local news which deals with issues very close to home, not that CNN/Fox crap. I certainly hope you're aware of local news.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

ultimate-k

The fact that makes you depressed is alarming

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts
Way ahead of you, only time I watched the news this year was on Election Day.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Way ahead of you, only time I watched the news this year was on Election Day.Toph_Girl250

Yes, because if it's one thing that's hard to find out it's who was elected president

I suppose you hide from all social media as well?

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I often watch the news only for the international part because I like learning what main events occur around the world.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I take it you never discuss world events with friends and co-workers? horgen123

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ultimate-k

Ye I do read my local town paper, thats important since its around me and my area, but do I realy need to know that someone that I never met in my life got killed by a thug half way across the world? Like others have said mainstream news tend to focus on negatives all the time, not a balance, they make murders some sort of anti heros giving them attention that they thrive on, all for views and money. Its disgusting how they indtrude on Celebs person lifes as, like we ment to care for them, but sadly some people care for them more then they do for the own friends and familes so we have crap on TV like celeb Big brother.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4704738/Brainless-Corrie-star-Helen-Flanagan-poses-with-gun-to-her-headc-as-26-lie-dead-after-US-school-horror-in-Sandy-Hook.html

Artitcles like this realy disgust me.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

No you should watch the news. Just avoid pundits for news and instead rely on multiple and reliable sources. Also be familiar with statistical information or get familiar if something doesn't seem right or there's a lack of information regarding what the news are covering.

There's going to be a bias everywhere you look so it's best just to take in multiple sources and statistical information. That and the most important thing in the world, common sense.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I've switched exclusively to local news for my news needs. Haven't watched the 'major' news in a while.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

ultimate-k
Actually a lot of the conflicts that take place in the world does have to do with the west. The West's affairs in the middle east for example; that's funded by tax money. Also, it's just a good idea to keep abreast of what happening, because these foreign conflicts could possibly reach our doorstep
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I like to watch the news but I don't let it depress me or think the world is going to hell. I live my life every day watching people help people in society as we all get along and live together. We're not collapsing and the end isn't neigh. The media just loves to make problems out of nothing so that they can attract more viewers.

The best thing to do is just watch local news, not national news. National news thrives off of bad things happen, evening local news is much more about things that are relevant to your life. The late night news is where you hear of all of the crime in your area, but that does need to get reported and be available to the people. The national news is 100% bad 100% of the time. They want to scare us into believing North Korea can nuke us at any minute, that the government is coming for your guns, or that people are basically blowing up abortion clinics across the country. It's over sensationalized and easy to over generalize a situation while watching national news of any source.

pspdseagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pspdseagle
Member since 2007 • 3307 Posts
I'll try that out!
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19569 Posts
No, don't stop watching the news. How the hell are you supposed to stay informed about important world issues (or even national/local issues) if you don't watch/read/hear it from a reliable source? Sure, I agree that some (perhaps even many) news sources are not reliable, but you can always watch those ones cynically, or find more reliable/informative/neutral ones to watch - plenty of those exist in my country.
Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

[QUOTE="Toph_Girl250"]Way ahead of you, only time I watched the news this year was on Election Day.Jaysonguy

Yes, because if it's one thing that's hard to find out it's who was elected president

I suppose you hide from all social media as well?

Maybe I only watched it because some people want to see which president was gonna win the most electoral college votes, and which one was gonna get 270 first?
Foxi911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Foxi911
Member since 2008 • 1676 Posts

I watch the news to stay informed and not become ignorant of my surroundings.

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

You're really missing out.

Sh*t's hilarious.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
Yes, stop watching the news. Let's just live life being entirely ignorant to what's going on in the world and even our own backyard. Genius.
Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#24 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

I disagree, mate.

IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts

But if I didn't read the news I would have absolutely no idea what was going on in the world.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ultimate-k

But if I didn't read the news I would have absolutely no idea what was going on in the world.

IdioticIcarus

But you don't need to know whats going on in another country, only need to know whats going on around you, in your life.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
So just live in my own personal little bubble and pretend that nothing is wrong in this world? Willfull ignorance of the world around us is to be avoided.
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

The only way that is feasible is through censorship. Merit and decency in public discourse and mediums > Freedom of the press and expression.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
But if I stop watching the news, how will I know what the government wants me to believe?
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
Majority of my news and current events info come from the internet usually when I'm just browsing. Don't watch TV really.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Majority of my news and current events info come from the internet usually when I'm just browsing. Don't watch TV really.shadowkiller11
He wants you to stop that too
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

I've switched exclusively to local news for my news needs. Haven't watched the 'major' news in a while.

Pirate700
Same. I just wanna see what the local town idiot is up too.
outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 outworld222  Online
Member since 2004 • 4223 Posts

That has been my view for about a decade.

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -RocBoys9489-
Member since 2008 • 6336 Posts
News isn't government propaganda; it's just the way the system is set up now with the death of newspapers/ rise of internet/ social networking and governments are taking advantage of it
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Watch PBS, you get a global perspective without all the partisan sniping. It's honestly has the best news resources (BBC, Nightline, Newshour, etc) and the most comprehensive programing. It's a little dry at times, but if information is what you want, you'll find no better source.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

Haha the news is not full of government propaganda. It's just full of a lot of misleading reporting that people believe instantly.

This country is full of sheep. No one thinks for themselves.

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
I don't pay attention to the news or the media at all. However, it does make me less sociable in conversation.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
I knew a guy like that, he seemed pretty happy, and focused to do whatever he wanted. He wouldn't ever say why he said he just refused to watch the news, I could only speculate as to why.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

people should stop watching/reading news? NO

media need grow up and show real life things, get off people aka celbs back like their special and stop the B.S? YES

i do not watch news channels. I go to websites and do not click stupid crap and give the web counts to make more money off ads for stupid garbage

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

[QUOTE="IdioticIcarus"]

ultimate-k

But you don't need to know whats going on in another country, only need to know whats going on around you, in your life.

Why not know both?
TINYOWNSYOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TINYOWNSYOU
Member since 2009 • 565 Posts

I like watching the local news because I can stay informed about what's going on in my area, and any really important national or international stories are usually covered too.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ultimate-k

So just live in my own personal little bubble and pretend that nothing is wrong in this world? Willfull ignorance of the world around us is to be avoided.dave123321

But the mainstream news only show us what they want us to see, and tell us how to think. Iam not pretenting there isnt anything wrong with the world, but people should think for themselves and focus what is important to them, rather than all these celebs and crime that you have no buisness in what so ever.

notsoawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 notsoawesome
Member since 2011 • 629 Posts

I want to agree because I haven't cared about the news for a long time but it's just wrong for most people not to care about local and global issues. It's much easier for me to be indifferent about these kinds of stuff because I'm neither an adult or independent. I get why people want to ignore irrelevant stuff and just live without news and that's fine.

Well, atleast that's my take on it.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

I want to agree because I haven't cared about the news for a long time but it's just wrong for most people not to care about local and global issues. It's much easier for me to be indifferent about these kinds of stuff because I'm neither an adult or independent. I get why people want to ignore irrelevant stuff and just live without news and that's fine.

Well, atleast that's my take on it.

notsoawesome
we all care about world issues, but if you want the news. for big media like fox, cnn, ect 10% is news that you should be hearing all the time. BUT here's the issue. MOST of the time they talking about stupid celbs, or trying play the rule of a judge and place judgement on people doing crimes, ect ect. IF you watch local news they do not do this... They get to the point and list real world problems inside or outside of your city.
Shinobi-Neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 Shinobi-Neo
Member since 2005 • 254 Posts

Maybe you´re right, at the same time we need to know what happens in the world. Media really makes people dumb. I stopped watching TV long ago. Many channels only stream nonesense, even the news are mostly into big drama trouble to get attention. Some of the news are important though.

Bluski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bluski
Member since 2011 • 322 Posts
Dat mean world syndrome
Dexter-010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 Dexter-010
Member since 2011 • 494 Posts

ultimate-k

It's your choice if you don't want to follow the news. You don't know what happen in the world and that could sucks. And don't forget to stop playing games etc.

Life in a colony, that would make you even more happy.

I don't agree.

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#48 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

The news is for people who want to learn about the events of the day around the globe. Not watching the news is no big deal

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
This reminds me of the saying" Knowledge is power, Ignorance is bliss" Which pretty much boils down to following the news won't make you happier but you'll be more enlightened on what goes on in the world and even your own country. Of course you choose if you want to follow the news or not, or just check in a couple of times a week.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Last time I watched the news, Sandy Hooks massacre happened that day.

I'd rather just get my news from the internet.