People can't seriously be that upset about this.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sca321
Member since 2003 • 1903 Posts

'Housewives' Filipino joke draws ire

I thought "you've got to be kidding me" half a dozen times reading through the article. I've never seen the show and don't care about it, but it makes me mad how fast ABC caved to the pressure, how apologetic they're being, and that they're considering censoring it in the future. It sets a dangerous precedent (or rather, it continues to ingrain the pattern of self-censorship for the sake of peoples' feelings that is already taking hold).

Avatar image for TacticalElefant
TacticalElefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 TacticalElefant
Member since 2007 • 900 Posts
Liberals need apologies for everything they can't stand.
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
well im filipino and i got offended a little
sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sca321
well im filipino and i got offended a littlelonewolf604
But do you think they should apologize or edit it out in the future? The guy in the article doesn't think an apology is enough, he thinks they should set up a scholarship for Filipinos, which is flat-out ridiculous.
The_PirateKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_PirateKing
Member since 2005 • 9714 Posts
~-~Oh man, million dollar idea I just thought of that we all can get rich off of. We make up a new religion or part of a religious belief that takes part on something that is made fun of commonly. Then, when people make a joke about this thing, we take it way out of proportion and sue the person for millions. It's fool proof. But I need your help. We need numbers to make this work. (lots of numbers, convert your friends and family into it too.) Oh, and I need to think of and idea that's not overly ludicrous but still criticized. (no worshiping airline food, no one will take us seriously.)~-~
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
[QUOTE="lonewolf604"]well im filipino and i got offended a littlesca321
But do you think they should apologize or edit it out in the future? The guy in the article doesn't think an apology is enough, he thinks they should set up a scholarship for Filipinos, which is flat-out ridiculous.

nopei dont agree with that guy, seeing as how there's always black jokes, jewish jokes, and asian stereotype jokes, ect..... no they shouldn't take it out. yes i am offended, but the guy should take into consideration that other races get "insulted" all the time
Bill900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Bill900
Member since 2007 • 4530 Posts
a nickel says this will go to court
serbsta69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 serbsta69
Member since 2006 • 19209 Posts
Doesnt upset me.
IrishMallard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 IrishMallard
Member since 2004 • 6797 Posts
Bleeding Heart + Soccer Mom + non-white joke = Complaint and probably a lawsuit.
sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sca321
[QUOTE="sca321"][QUOTE="lonewolf604"]well im filipino and i got offended a littlelonewolf604

nopei dont agree with that guy, seeing as how there's always black jokes, jewish jokes, and asian stereotype jokes, ect..... no they shouldn't take it out. yes i am offended, but the guy should take into consideration that other races get "insulted" all the time

Exactly.
a nickel says this will go to courtBill900
There's no way anybody would win if they tried to sue over it.
sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sca321
[QUOTE="sca321"]

[QUOTE="Bill900"]a nickel says this will go to courtBill900

doesn't mean they won't try >________>

Sadly that may be true.
Bill900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bill900
Member since 2007 • 4530 Posts
[QUOTE="Bill900"][QUOTE="sca321"]

[QUOTE="Bill900"]a nickel says this will go to courtsca321

doesn't mean they won't try >________>

Sadly that may be true.

so very true

BobbyTurkalino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: -4

#15 BobbyTurkalino
Member since 2003 • 31460 Posts
Wah-wah-wah.
sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sca321
Wah-wah-wah.HillyBilly
??? Is that a sound effect?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

'Housewives' Filipino joke draws ire

I thought "you've got to be kidding me" half a dozen times reading through the article. I've never seen the show and don't care about it, but it makes me mad how fast ABC caved to the pressure, how apologetic they're being, and that they're considering censoring it in the future. It sets a dangerous precedent (or rather, it continues to ingrain the pattern of self-censorship for the sake of peoples' feelings that is already taking hold).

sca321

Why do you have a problem with self-censorship? If no one is making them censor themselves, the hell do you care?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrGeezer

If they want to set up a scholarship for filipinos, they can. If they don't want to, they don';t have to.

Cloud6900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Cloud6900
Member since 2007 • 1211 Posts

Snap!

:P

sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sca321
Why do you have a problem with self-censorship? If no one is making them censor themselves, the hell do you care? MrGeezer
Because it's giving into the few people who got their feelings hurt just because they ***** about it, at the expense of everybody else. I don't watch the show, but if it was one I watched, I wouldn't want them to censor the DVD or the show because somebody wrote a letter or started an online petion complaining about it.
If they want to set up a scholarship for filipinos, they can. If they don't want to, they don';t have to.MrGeezer
Both true, but to suggest that the should do it because of some crappy joke on a tv show, I find ridiculous.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#21 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

And when was the last time an Indian protested when an outsourcing joke was made on a TV show? :|

sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sca321

And when was the last time an Indian protested when an outsourcing joke was made on a TV show? :|

JustPlainLucas
Who do you think wrote the script?:P
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#23 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"]

sca321

Who do you think wrote the script?:P

And the funny thing is, he probably sits next to a guy taking drive-thru orders for a McDonalds.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

The show's mistake was it singled out the Philippines for no apparent reason. I don't watch the show but I'm assuming that the character that said it was a female dog, and an off color coment like that fits in well w/ her character.

Yea the comment is a little off color, but you're watching a show called "desperate housewives", not "7th heaven".

L_burna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 L_burna
Member since 2005 • 414 Posts
are you kidding me?
freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
Its a freakin tv show!! Its not even an important
DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

Doesnt upset me.serbsta69

Same here, I don't get what to be upset about.

O_OdazX_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 O_OdazX_X
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts

~-~Oh man, million dollar idea I just thought of that we all can get rich off of. We make up a new religion or part of a religious belief that takes part on something that is made fun of commonly. Then, when people make a joke about this thing, we take it way out of proportion and sue the person for millions. It's fool proof. But I need your help. We need numbers to make this work. (lots of numbers, convert your friends and family into it too.) Oh, and I need to think of and idea that's not overly ludicrous but still criticized. (no worshiping airline food, no one will take us seriously.)~-~The_PirateKing

Noel Edmunds can be our God, he get's the crap ripped out of him all the time. Although we'd be better off picking someone American... More likely they'll get the piss taken out of them then... any ideas?

I'm all for this idea btw.

O_OdazX_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 O_OdazX_X
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts

I just thought. We Brits take the mick out of Americans on TV and I often see jokes at our expence on American shows, it really doesn't bother me at all - not one teeny bit. Funny thing is we do have bad teeth for the most part, and a lot of Americans are fat so at least some of it's based on truth.

Is that what the fillipino's are pissed at? That it was unfounded? 'Cause I don't like tea and I don't have a posh accent, we don't wordhip the royal family, or the Beckhams and hell, half of us aren't fans of the US. So many of the stereotyped jokes about us are unfounded too.. should we complain and sue?

PS. I know I totally contradicted myself but I was thinkning of new points as I went and decided to show both sides of the arguement.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts

please.. have you been paying attention for the last 5 years? whenever you think, "people can't possibly be offended by that" you'll find some no sense of humor rube that will be....

muppet1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 muppet1010
Member since 2006 • 5812 Posts

~-~Oh man, million dollar idea I just thought of that we all can get rich off of. We make up a new religion or part of a religious belief that takes part on something that is made fun of commonly. Then, when people make a joke about this thing, we take it way out of proportion and sue the person for millions. It's fool proof. But I need your help. We need numbers to make this work. (lots of numbers, convert your friends and family into it too.) Oh, and I need to think of and idea that's not overly ludicrous but still criticized. (no worshiping airline food, no one will take us seriously.)~-~The_PirateKing

where do I sign up :D

deepdreamer256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#32 deepdreamer256
Member since 2005 • 7140 Posts
People are just too stupid and sensitive.
B05T0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 B05T0N
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
It was a bit insensitive on the writers' part, but they dont need to make a big deal out of it. It would be appropriate to apologize, though. 
Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#34 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
Didn't phase me at all.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts

i think all shows should just put a simple disclaimer in their credits that reads

"The preceding programs was for ENTERTAINMENT purposed only. We sincerely apologize for any offense any one of the 100,000 or so watch groups may feel like feigning this week. It will happen again."

that way you get all the apologizing out of the way and we can just get on with our lives...

sthadji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sthadji
Member since 2004 • 4682 Posts
People shouldn't be offended that easily.
Patorishia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Patorishia
Member since 2007 • 81 Posts
What bothers me is that people get so bent out of shape over statements that totally take away freedom of speech. What ever happened to the saying Sticks and Stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me? Yeah, but it is more lucrative to make a big deal about it. Now the saying goes, "Words will never hurt me... unless I can get a lawsuit out of it!"
cornlockes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cornlockes
Member since 2006 • 1852 Posts

there's 2 issues I have with this arguement.

1. It's stupid

2. There have been so many worse things on shows like family guy,south park,etc...

Avatar image for Jhonie_Fklits25
Jhonie_Fklits25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jhonie_Fklits25
Member since 2005 • 671 Posts

Liberals need apologies for everything they can't stand.TacticalElefant

Yup. Republicans FTW!

whodeysay85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 whodeysay85
Member since 2006 • 3237 Posts
wow. People take offense at everything nowadays.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts

Another fine example of political correctness thats got out of hand, clearly that piece of the script was mean't as a joke and not to be taken seriously. But as seems to be the current trend in the world, if you belong to a minority and anything negative is said about it then everyone goes up in arms about it.

Then again its a valid question being raised in the script aswell, a lot of people want to make sure their doctor is fully qualified or perhaps don't want a philipino doctor, did they ever think about that before they screamed racism and prejudice? i doubt it...

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
This blows my mind. Do Filipino people actually think there are Americans watching the show and after hearing the joke say "Yeah! Stupid, lousy, Phillipines health care!"? I doubt it, or if there are said people then they are likely beyond the limits of what any censorship could provide.

To me the character in the show was defensive about being menopausal, perhaps she is a little naïve and uneducated and fires off the remark to discredit the doctor. Or maybe the joke is even being a little self-deprecating, in showing that Americans are not typically well versed in societies outside of their own. You could delve deeper into the meaning, but you would only be wasting your time as it is a joke and has no meaning.

This is a sickening example of a sue happy, liberal society that wants comeuppance for something that barely affects them and is instantly forgotten seconds after it's heard. If this joke was a watercooler debate this morning, where people were actually mocking the Philippines health care system purely based off of a Desperate Housewives joke I'd be shocked.

None of this is relevant; it's people wanting everything for having sacrificed squat. It's as ludicrous as Extra or Entertainment Tonight giving Internet Trash Can Chris Crocker airtime.

DrummerJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DrummerJon
Member since 2004 • 9668 Posts
Liberals need apologies for everything they can't stand.TacticalElefant
lawl you act like conservatives don't need revenge for everything they can't stand.
Scienceblows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Scienceblows
Member since 2007 • 2992 Posts
Sure,retards don't want an aplogy for South Park making fun of them,while Desperate Housewives makes a Phillipino joke and everyone's pissed!
Putzwapputzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Putzwapputzen
Member since 2005 • 4462 Posts
yeah, some people are, but i think they just need to chill, theyre over-reacting
ArmoredAshes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46 ArmoredAshes
Member since 2005 • 4025 Posts

i think every white joke i hear on tv im going to start a riot about so that its not jsut minorites...its terrible how this country jsut gives everythign away for dumb reasons..

DrummerJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DrummerJon
Member since 2004 • 9668 Posts

[QUOTE="sca321"][QUOTE="lonewolf604"]well im filipino and i got offended a littleArmoredAshes

i think every white joke i hear on tv im going to start a riot about so that its not jsut minorites...its terrible how this country jsut gives everythign away for dumb reasons..

riot agaisnt who? the white people are the ones in power (not to be racist but like for cerial look at the senate)
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]Why do you have a problem with self-censorship? If no one is making them censor themselves, the hell do you care? sca321
Because it's giving into the few people who got their feelings hurt just because they ***** about it, at the expense of everybody else. I don't watch the show, but if it was one I watched, I wouldn't want them to censor the DVD or the show because somebody wrote a letter or started an online petion complaining about it.

Well then, start a petition to leave it uncensored.

Bottom line is that it's not YOUR show. You don't have a right to see it uncensored any more than the complainers have a right to see it censored. Either way, they're gonna piss off somebody.

Bty the way, the other day I was at a restaurant having dinner with my friends when I thought of a really dirty joke that fit the conversation. But I didn't tell it because there were kids sitting at the table next to us. OMG, what have I done?! I self-centered myself in order to avoid offending people, and at the expense of my friends who didn't get to hear the joke! Oh no!

Just out of curiosity, where do you draw the line at which point self-censorship is acceptable? Should I go around cussing in public?