Pentagon seeking $400mil to buy more missile defense systems for Israel

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

This is what happens when you allow public officials to smother the bureaucracy.

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#2 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

[QUOTE="pie-junior"]

If the US has vested interests in preserving stability and calm in the Israeli-palestinian conflict, it can't stop funding Iron dome. From what I understand, Israel can't maintain the costs of the system (which are enormous, and comprised mostly with Israeli money IIRC) and its operation alone, no matter how comparatively rich it is considering the elected status of its officials and the size of its population, and would opt for a more traditional means of defence (like tanks and planes and stuff). 

I don't want to talk about the relative benefit of the Israeli-american relationship, but if the US continues to maintain aid- Iron dome, on the cutback list, should be absolutely last. I suspect the Pentagon knows that. 

Aljosa23

You know your stuff on Israel and I have little knowledge on it but do you know why the US hasn't done much to stop illegal Israeli settlements on Palestinian land?

Settlement will stop once the Palestinians recognize Israel's right to exist, leading to peace talks.

Opposed to what many believe, Israel does want peace, and it rightfully won't speak to an entity that doesn't recognize its right to exist

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

The Pentagons Missile Defense Agency for the first time in its regular annual budget contains funds to buy additional Iron Dome missile defense systems for Israel, according to documents and an agency spokesman.

The budget requests $220 million for missile batteries in fiscal 2014, which begins Oct. 1, and an additional $175.9 million in fiscal 2015, according to budget documents the Missile Defense Agency posted online last week.

The money, if approved during the annual defense budgetprocess, would be on top of $486 million the White House and Congress have requested or added for the system in recent years after formal budgets were submitted. This includes $211 million added in the defense appropriations bill for this year, which President Barack Obama signed into law last month.

The $220 million request for fiscal 2014 is new money, and it is the first time funding specifically for Iron Dome procurement has been requested in our budget submission, Missile Defense Agency spokesman Richard Lehner said in an e- mail.

House and Senate defense committees last year signaled they wanted to approve spending as much as $680 million on Iron Dome through 2015.

The fiscal 2014 request is a smaller piece of the larger amount and supports the various production lines and schedules to meet the desired goals, Lehner said.

link and more here

Apparently the Iron Dome defense systems are made in Israel by an Israeli company...lol. What terrible spending, smh.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
It's times like this when I really lament the loss of shadowmoses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

It's times like this when I really lament the loss of shadowmoses dave123321
Yeah he was pretty funny. Wouldn't surprise me if he returns eventually.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

We have to cut funds from education, social programs etc, but we can buy missles for Israel. 

Does not compute.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

iirc they actually use iron dome, so it's not like a waste

they prob should buy their own, tho

sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

I've never understood how Uncle Sam has found an ally in Israel...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

We have to cut funds from education, social programs etc, but we can buy missles for Israel. 

Does not compute.

jimkabrhel

http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/16/news/economy/grants-science-budget-cuts/

So disappointing. Defense systems > health care funding

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Does not compute.

jimkabrhel

Buy missiles for Israel, from Israel.

sigh-off-oa4rfr.gif

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

Does not compute.

Aljosa23

Well defence is more important than health care...by alot.

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts
The Iron dome missile system is the number one mitigating factor regarding hostilities between Israel and the Hamas. It's probably the leading reason why there wasn't a ground invasion a-la 2008 5 months ago accompanying thousands of palestinian deaths. I don't know how much these facts should factor into the priorities of the white house, but calling it 'terrible spending' is absolutely ridiculous. It's probably the only clearly constructive thing the Obama administration has managed to do in the middle-east.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
You guys don't realize why we must defend Israel. They own our central bank.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Pie-juniors reponse was p. good
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fightingfan
Imagine if we spend money on American infrastructure :O We would actually have nice smooth roads, and probably turn pikes in every city!
bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bnarmz
Member since 2012 • 1372 Posts

So glad the awareness is rising...

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38671 Posts

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

Does not compute.

Aljosa23

we need the terrorists to invent cancer bombs or something along those lines... that should juice the cancer-cure research funding with DOD dollars fast enough..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

The Iron dome missile system is the number one mitigating factor regarding hostilities between Israel and the Hamas. It's probably the leading reason why there wasn't a ground invasion a-la 2008 5 months ago accompanying thousands of palestinian deaths. I don't know how much these facts should factor into the priorities of the white house, but calling it 'terrible spending' is absolutely ridiculous. It's probably the only clearly constructive thing the Obama administration has managed to do in the middle-east.pie-junior
It seems like it in this situation, what with the sequester happening recently and the need for being fiscally responsible. It's not like Israel itself is a poor country and when you look at the aid it receives from the US it could even be argued that they're the 51st state. It's just baffling because Israel provides little if anything to the US and in a healthy relationship both parties should be profitting equally.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

Ok so who's gonna put sanctions on the US for weaponizing the entire world? Oh yeah I forgot only the US is allowed to put up sanctions... move along

524284_499949730054744_1034035948_n.jpg

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#22 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

sexyweapons
Read a little into it, it's really not difficult.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
[QUOTE="pie-junior"]The Iron dome missile system is the number one mitigating factor regarding hostilities between Israel and the Hamas. It's probably the leading reason why there wasn't a ground invasion a-la 2008 5 months ago accompanying thousands of palestinian deaths. I don't know how much these facts should factor into the priorities of the white house, but calling it 'terrible spending' is absolutely ridiculous. It's probably the only clearly constructive thing the Obama administration has managed to do in the middle-east.

you... and your... "logic and reason" ruining the fun for those on the train
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pie-junior

[QUOTE="pie-junior"]The Iron dome missile system is the number one mitigating factor regarding hostilities between Israel and the Hamas. It's probably the leading reason why there wasn't a ground invasion a-la 2008 5 months ago accompanying thousands of palestinian deaths. I don't know how much these facts should factor into the priorities of the white house, but calling it 'terrible spending' is absolutely ridiculous. It's probably the only clearly constructive thing the Obama administration has managed to do in the middle-east.Aljosa23

It seems like it in this situation, what with the sequester happening recently and the need for being fiscally responsible. It's not like Israel itself is a poor country and when you look at the aid it receives from the US it could even be argued that they're the 51st state. It's just baffling because Israel provides little if anything to the US and in a healthy relationship both parties should be profitting equally.

If the US has vested interests in preserving stability and calm in the Israeli-palestinian conflict, it can't stop funding Iron dome. From what I understand, Israel can't maintain the costs of the system (which are enormous, and comprised mostly with Israeli money IIRC) and its operation alone, no matter how comparatively rich it is considering the elected status of its officials and the size of its population, and would opt for a more traditional means of defence (like tanks and planes and stuff). 

I don't want to talk about the relative benefit of the Israeli-american relationship, but if the US continues to maintain aid- Iron dome, on the cutback list, should be absolutely last. I suspect the Pentagon knows that. 

sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts
[QUOTE="sexyweapons"]

NoAssKicker47
Read a little into it, it's really not difficult.

Thats exactly why its confusing me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

pie-junior

You know your stuff on Israel and I have little knowledge on it but do you know why the US hasn't done much to stop illegal Israeli settlements on Palestinian land?

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BossPerson
Settlements have been a major point of contention between Obama and Bibi for years. Perhaps Bibi just doesn't care about what the US has to say
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

How about they spend that money on schools instead?

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

[QUOTE="pie-junior"]

Aljosa23

I always found funny how, after the WMD excuse was found out to be phony, the US justified invading Iraq because it was violating UN sanctions while Israel is the country with more violations than any other... and they help them.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38671 Posts

How about they spend that money on schools instead?

sonicare
pfft.. what's that gonna get us?
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BossPerson

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="pie-junior"]

NoAssKicker47

Settlement will stop once the Palestinians recognize Israel's right to exist, leading to peace talks.

Opposed to what many believe, Israel does want peace, and it rightfully won't speak to an entity that doesn't recognize its right to exist

the head of the PA (who does the negotiating) has recognized their right to exist Its dumb for Israel to keep setting imaginary goal lines for the Palestinians to cross Your late to the party anyways..... Israeli government is now concerned with the Palestinians recognizing their right to exist as a "Jewish State"
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pie-junior

[QUOTE="pie-junior"]

Aljosa23

Short answer- I don't think it can because the settlement movement isn't something the central Israeli government itself can stop. but the subject is so convoluted I can't manage to summarise it into a few readable paragraphs.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts
There should be a limit to it, if we give them money to buy SM3s to shoot down an Iranian rocket maybe carrying a nuke is one thing. But if we need to spend hundreds of millions to knock out cheap makeshift PVC rockets then that's something they can do on their own.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

Imagine if we spend money on American infrastructure :O We would actually have nice smooth roads, and probably turn pikes in every city! Fightingfan

Giving weapons to Israel>>>>improving infastructure

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Not all defence spending is equal, people.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts
seriously, fvck isreal. build your own damn shit.
kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

Am fine with this

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Imagine if we spend money on American infrastructure :O We would actually have nice smooth roads, and probably turn pikes in every city! Jebus213

True. War creates jobs.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

tumblr_lmd0da7Wu21qzbkx0o1_400.gif.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

tumblr_lmd0da7Wu21qzbkx0o1_400.gif.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I'm okay with spending that might actually save lives.

dangamit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dangamit
Member since 2010 • 664 Posts
The US is sucking Israel's dick? Nothing new under the sun...
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Imagine if we spend money on American infrastructure :O We would actually have nice smooth roads, and probably turn pikes in every city! Fightingfan

True. War creates jobs.

No it doesn't, not anymore. Iraq and Afghanistan have done nothing to our unemployment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

No it doesn't, not anymore. Iraq and Afghanistan have done nothing to our unemployment.Toxic-Seahorse

Not exactly true. They've kept service members employed,

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BossPerson

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]No it doesn't, not anymore. Iraq and Afghanistan have done nothing to our unemployment.airshocker

Not exactly true. They've kept service members employed,

there's better examples you could use, such as arms manufacturers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

there's better examples you could use, such as arms manufacturersBossPerson

My point was made all the same.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Why can't Israel pay for this themselves?
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

I'm okay with spending that might actually save lives.

airshocker

Funny-gif-Bruce-Lee-laughing.gif

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

it's not like the Zionists controll the banks right.....

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Why can't Israel pay for this themselves?chessmaster1989

They wanted a better price.

I'll show myself out.