Parents too strict

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Undefined01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Undefined01
Member since 2015 • 9 Posts

Well first of all my main question is how to deal with parents that are strict about video games...

I'm 15 and I'm in the 3rd year of high school, besides school I play the violin and also like of course videogames.

So, my parents set this rule; 'You can only play videogames in the weekend'.

So as I told I like playing videogames but my parents make it such a big deal, they got a point about saying studying is my priority but I just can' t be studying the whole time and other things like readimg just get boring after a whole day of studying.

Some background information, I study in the highest level available here (Netherlands) which is 'VWO' and have most of my classes in English and attend school for way more time than average and not to mention Greek and Latin class.

So my parents think I should spend my time on something productive and it gets humiliating to see my friends who spend much more time gaming and being much better than me and get similar grades at school.

So in the holidays they keep complaining how much time I spend gaming, first of all after having to study a lot I think that I should be allowed to play in the holidays, my parents keep saying there should be a balance but it's not fair if I have to spend my time doing productive things apart from studying during a normal school week.

Another thing is that it's winter now, so being outside is not really so nice as it might be thought and some friends went on holidays besides that it feels like I'm isolated from my friends and it's not just me, everyone seems to be doing their own stuff...

So back to my question, what I wanna know is how I should talk to them, I have already asked them and they told me get good grades in the coming Maths tests, I got a 8 and a 9.1 (out of 10) but they said no.

So, I wanna make at least an agreement that allows me more freedom in terms of gaming.

Anyways, thank you for taking the time to read this.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

How much do you play in the weekends now?

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

I wish i was a 15 yo living in Netherlands and my problem at the moment was my parents being too strict about video games.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

You can try talking to them. Keep your grades up and that might help. But honestly its not that big a deal.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Get home. Do homework in an hour. Game for 3 hours. I don't see the fricken problem unless they LOAD you with homework. I gamed my whole life and got A's and B's in High School.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

@TheHighWind said:

Get home. Do homework in an hour. Game for 3 hours. I don't see the fricken problem unless they LOAD you with homework. I gamed my whole life and got A's and B's in High School.

His parents rules. Not yours dude. And not everyone is as good in school that they can coast.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Sorry dude, but I'm with your parents on this one. When I look back, I wish my parents had been stricter with my gaming vs studying time, instead of just letting me do as I please, because I know I could have done a lot better in school if they had. Fortunately for me, I turned it around for myself when I went to collage and university, but it's a hard habit to break out of.

I will say maybe yours are a little too strict, but at the same time, you say you're getting the same grades as people in you class that spend the majority of their home time gaming, which offers up the very real possibility that maybe you need those extra study sessions to keep up with your class.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

@spike6958 said:

maybe you need those extra study sessions to keep up with your class.

I couldn't agree more. I myself am studying in college and I probably put down the most amount of time studying among everyone in my class, but I'm still not the best even if I get great scores and the highest grades.
I don't think I would have been able to get these high scores or even pass the exams if I didn't study as hard as I have done this far.

Stay in school kid. After you've graduated from highschool take the first year off and play videogames everyday all the time. That'll put your mind to rest so you can start an education in college, because there you'll need all the devotion you'll ever get.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

I am strongly on your parents side speaking from experience. Not everybody is a quick learner in certain fields of study and if that extra study time results in a higher grade it is all worth it in the end when you go for a higher level of education.

My high school days were when MMO's started to become a hit and I focused way too much on that rather than school and while I have a career now and am doing fine I still wish I tried harder and went the extra distance instead of staying up late playing games with friends. Nothing is humiliating when you end up getting access to better opportunities than your friends post high school. You will thank your parents years from now.

If you want to relieve yourself from the boredom of studying and all why not do cardio, karate or some other activity doesn't require you sitting all day.

fize4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fize4ever
Member since 2009 • 1652 Posts

If you have the leverage, try to showcase them that you're becoming more and more responsible, As in, try to game on weekdays while still maintaining great scores all around. That outta prove you can balance your life out.

That's what I did and it worked for me. *shrug*

Then again, if you also did this and failed, your parents will have a solid case in point. =P

QuietRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By QuietRaven
Member since 2015 • 108 Posts

My parents were pretty lenient with my game time. And my grades sucked, lol. So in a way, perhaps I think it is good for parents to limit that sort of thing. But at the same time, I think it's important that they try to put trust in their child to make responsible decisions if possible as well. If that child is responsible.

Undefined01, I don't know much about you or your parents. But if it's true that you are getting good grades, and if you feel that you can keep them up if you are allowed to play games a little more, I definitely think your parents should give you a chance. Maybe you can try to make try to make a deal with them, say if your grades start to slip you go right back to how it is now? Maybe start small. Like, set a time limit on weekdays and go from there.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

"Damn, I wish I spent more time playing video games when I was in my teens"- Said no one ever.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts

1. Parents are the problem.

2. Eliminate the problem.

3. ???

4. Video Games

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

@undefined01 said:

So back to my question, what I wanna know is how I should talk to them, I have already asked them and they told me get good grades in the coming Maths tests, I got a 8 and a 9.1 (out of 10) but they said no.

So, I wanna make at least an agreement that allows me more freedom in terms of gaming.

My advice is don't talk to them. Even if they agree to compromise (which they won't) they will just revoke it later.

You have a choice of either complying, rebelling, or just play games without them knowing. Negotiating will never work.

IMO this is just reality. Whether it's a business deal, or peace treaty, or a class struggle, or literally any example, mutual agreements only come about when both sides have leverage to use toward what they want. Meaning your parents are not going to let you have your way simply because you open up your feelings on the matter, or ask nicely.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Tell them that gaming a little everyday will help in your grades and help you in relaxing. Ask why so serious? Tell them you need some fun time where you can be yourself everyday. Prove to them your grades will be just fine.

QuietRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 QuietRaven
Member since 2015 • 108 Posts
@final_lap said:
@undefined01 said:

My advice is don't talk to them. Even if they agree to compromise (which they won't) they will just revoke it later.

You have a choice of either complying, rebelling, or just play games without them knowing. Negotiating will never work.

IMO this is just reality. Whether it's a business deal, or peace treaty, or a class struggle, or literally any example, mutual agreements only come about when both sides have leverage to use toward what they want. Meaning your parents are not going to let you have your way simply because you open up your feelings on the matter, or ask nicely.

I think you are making some petty big assumptions about people you don't know, lol.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

Just play the shit out of them on the weekend.

There are more important things you should be doing. I wish my parents forced my to learn how to play an instrument when I was younger, I'm sure that would have come in handy.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@undefined01: Be grateful. I was the youngest of 5 kids, so by the time I came around my parents pretty much stopped trying. They were never strict with me. I never did my homework or studied and eventually just stopped going to any of my classes. I wish my parents had been strict.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

@quietraven said:
@final_lap said:
@undefined01 said:

I think you are making some petty big assumptions about people you don't know, lol.

Seeing as OP is in this situation in the first place, and seeing as he asked a videogame forum instead of talking to his parents directly, signs point to me being right.

My answer wasn't really making assumptions though. I merely stated a universal truth. So long as a person thinks they hold all the cards, there's no sense in trying to bargain with them.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21  Edited By chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@spike6958 said:

Sorry dude, but I'm with your parents on this one. When I look back, I wish my parents had been stricter with my gaming vs studying time, instead of just letting me do as I please, because I know I could have done a lot better in school if they had. Fortunately for me, I turned it around for myself when I went to collage and university, but it's a hard habit to break out of.

lol
You sure?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Isn't Netherlands a beautiful place?

Should go outside and enjoy the nature and community. I wish my parents had told me to lay off the video games and do something productive. Now I'm a late bloomer when it comes to experiencing the adult world.

Undefined01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Undefined01

@kriggy: I was not clear, I study the same time or less as my friends and I've to get the same marks or higher.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself correctly

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@undefined01: Just keep fighting and seeking a healthy balance, and dont try to game so much on the weekend, thats the best time to hangout with friends and have fun. Your parents are probably just trying their best to raise you, that would explain why they fear games so much. Being a parent is no easy task, but the more yall work together and both sides compromises and regulates one another, the more peace can be achieved and the stronger ones bond can grow.

Undefined01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Undefined01

@spike6958: I didn't explaim things correctly, it's not that I have to spend the time studying because I 'need it', what I actually should've said is that my parents want me to spend my time doing productive things (maybe it's that I see it as study) so I think that it's not a matter of how much I need to study but my parents put it that way.

Anyways, thanks

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

@chaoscougar1: Sorry. Had been up for somewhere close to 60 hours when I posted that. TBH, I'm surprised I didn't make more mistakes.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

You are a child. You are a child until you reach the age of majority in your country.

You either get to put up with your parent's rules until the time you turn that age, or you can leave and fend for yourself (assuming you are even legally entitled to hold employment).

Feel some solace in the fact you still don't have to deal with adult responsibilities yet, because you are going to regret wasting your time trying to be an adult before you actually get to become one. Respect your parent's wishes and become a contributing and successful member of society. Video games are a hobby, meant to be played during SPARE time.

Feel lucky you even have spare time at all. Going to university or working for a living will pretty much destroy any and all free time you get.

Linkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By Linkle
Member since 2015 • 34 Posts

Just to prepare you. When you get to the fourth year you will get so much homework that you won't have the time to do all of it, even if you quit playing video games. So use this year to prepare yourself for the next three. In that light it may be best to explore other hobbies that relax you or make you happy in less time. You'll never be good at everything, but some things are bigger than games. I think it's commendable that you work so hard, and you should feel good about that.

After high school you will have an easier time playing games. University will be more complex, but you will have more control over your schedule.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@undefined01:

your parents must be from asian origin ...

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Tell your parents this: "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58380 Posts

Pointless rules are silly. If your grades are above-average, you should be allowed to play video games when youre done with homework/studies/activities regardless of what day it is.

Has it been an issue in the past? Have you played too much before and your grades slipped?

Ultimately, though, theyre your parents and you need to respect them.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58380 Posts

@hippiesanta said:

@undefined01:

your parents must be from asian origin ...

lol that's kind of what I was thinking; any kid I knew that played a classical string instrument was asian. Also, ridiculously strict parents. I know some of them as adults now and they are wound very very tight...or they found out it was all bullshit and are relaxed to an excessive degree.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Wait til one day you moved out, then you can play all you want.. for right now gonna have to listen to them.

-- Or play some games on your smartphone while you're not at home.. kinna sux that you done all your homework and can't play games, gets pretty boring I can see that.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

Studying is important however your mind needs rest from time to time or you become stressed and that makes everything worse. If you feel your parents are putting too much pressure on you tell them to ease off. Maybe say video games help you relax, if they can't respect that then you're pretty boned.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#36 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33351 Posts

Many other parents aren't strict enough these days, it seems. Thankfully, my parents had always been more in the middle ground.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

Dude if you look at that as a problem then you don't have problems. Before going further I am making the following assumptions since you list not being able to play videogames as a big problem

1. You are clothed

2. You are fed

3. You are sheltered

With that in mind and with the fact that you play the violin it sounds like your standard of living is pretty high. Speaking as a parent, let me tell you the rules never really change. You live in their house-you abide by their rules. It appears they are holding up their end of the bargain, so you hold up yours.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

Man, follow your parents rules. You will thanks them later when your succesful instead of a dead beat. So many kids/young adults these days wastes their future playing games. Wanna flip burgers when you turn 40?

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

That's just bad policy because you will binge on the weekends and it's not good for you. I would have said an hour or so per day and maybe 2 hours on Friday and saturday. That way you get to have short break from study and you would retain more info from the material.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3109 Posts

My parents were very strict with me. They laughed at me when I asked the, to buy me a car when I was 16 so I didn't start driving until I was 19 because I had to save money to buy it myself. I'm grateful now that they were harsh on me and demanded excellence from me instead of mediocrity and that they were more concerned with being my parents instead of my friends. I would have ended up like that affluenza mama's boy if they coddled me.

Now that I'm grown up, I graduated from a great university, I got a great job, I make a high salary, I drive a supercar, I'm disciplined and I'm in great physical shape and none of this would have been possible if my parents had spoiled me.