Parasite wins Best Picture at the oscars?!

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 TomaLevine
Member since 2019 • 444 Posts

Is this a crippling blow to the American cinema industry? What is next a Bollywood best picture?

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Who cares?

Seriously, why do so many people care about the Oscars? Every year, they complain about the winners and nominees, making me wonder if they'd be happier just ignoring them. I've never watched one of the Oscar shows. Really don't see why some questionably picked panel of judges choosing the usual Academy-friendly, inoffensive stuff should affect me.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Awards shows are shit (nothing against this film)

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@tomalevine: I don't see it as blow, let alone a crippling one, to the American film industry if anything I see it as an inspired selection that hopefully portends a more eclectic range of choices going forward.

It speaks to the maturity and confidence of the American market to reward an international (read before this year "foreign") film. With that said, lets not get carried away. 1 year ago this same body awarded Best Picture to that garbage Green Book, so anything could happen and it may be an aberration.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@tomalevine said:

Is this a crippling blow to the American cinema industry? What is next a Bollywood best picture?

If the film is good it's good, and how good a film is isn't always the criteria they use. I haven't gotten around to Parasite yet but the general consensus it it's an amazing film. Personally I thought 1917 might scoop it but I'm glad that it won in numerous other categories.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19569 Posts

South Korean cinema has beeen going strong for about 20 years now. It's surprising (and disappointing) that this is the first film nominated.

I'm glad it won. It's an excellent little film.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8770 Posts

I liked Parasite too. Didn't watch the awards though.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Well, it certainly couldn’t be given to Joker. We can’t dare validate that incel trash.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Good. Korean cinema deserves all the recognition it can get.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

“A crippling blow to American Cinema”? No, not at all. A good movie is a good movie no matter its origin and the Oscars are a celebration of movies overall. I was surprised though as I thought Joker would win it but congrats to Parasite for winning.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

The Oscars and awards shows have been getting slammed over the last couple decades over the lack of diversity in them. On a year basis the Oscars have been suffering sinking ratings. The Oscars ruined itself over the years.

And now a historical moment happens such as a foreign language film winning best picture and you fear monger... LOL gtfo with your bigotry.

If you actually watched Parasite maybe you'd understand why it's so good, but you probably won't have the brain intelligence to sit through a subtitled film, so it probably won't make a difference to you.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Byshop  Moderator

@jaydan said:

The Oscars and awards shows have been getting slammed over the last couple decades over the lack of diversity in them. On a year basis the Oscars have been suffering sinking ratings. The Oscars ruined itself over the years.

And now a historical moment happens such as a foreign language film winning best picture and you fear monger... LOL gtfo with your bigotry.

If you actually watched Parasite maybe you'd understand why it's so good, but you probably won't have the brain intelligence to sit through a subtitled film, so it probably won't make a difference to you.

Please take it down a notch on getting personal.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

It was good but a bit overrated, but not as overrated as that Snowpiercer, that movie was highly praised trash. I am not familiar with director's ealier works besides The Host, and I liked that a lot. I feel he has a cult following that's very vocal and wants to help elevate him for past accomplishments but in doing so I feel they're putting the praise on a little too thick, I definitely felt this was more the case with Snowpiercer.

Anyhow, I wanted Ford vs Ferrari to win but expected it to lose to 1917 anyways so somewhat fine with Parasite winning just as long as 1917 didn't, I haven't seen the entire thing yet but I have caught a lot doing theater checks and overall 1917 just seemed so goddamn bland, like Dunkirk levels of boring with a fine polish.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Byshop  Moderator

@lamprey263 said:

It was good but a bit overrated, but not as overrated as that Snowpiercer, that movie was highly praised trash. I am not familiar with director's ealier works besides The Host, and I liked that a lot. I feel he has a cult following that's very vocal and wants to help elevate him for past accomplishments but in doing so I feel they're putting the praise on a little too thick, I definitely felt this was more the case with Snowpiercer.

Anyhow, I wanted Ford vs Ferrari to win but expected it to lose to 1917 anyways so somewhat fine with Parasite winning just as long as 1917 didn't, I haven't seen the entire thing yet but I have caught a lot doing theater checks and overall 1917 just seemed so goddamn bland, like Dunkirk levels of boring with a fine polish.

Yeah, you're not going to get the effect of 1917 that movie if you're popping in and out. There are movies that you can consume that way and still get the idea but this is literally the worst movie you could do that with. The entire movie is filmed in long take sequences and edited together to appear as one continuous nearly 2-hour take. Sitting down and actually watching it in one sitting is an intense experience. Technical merit aside, I would have been fine with it winning Best Picture.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@Master_Live: I loved Green Book, and had no problem with it getting the oscar....what didnt you like about it?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@sealionact said:

@Master_Live: I loved Green Book, and had no problem with it getting the oscar....what didnt you like about it?

Cliched, trite, predictable, saccharined.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@tomalevine said:

Why would it be a blow? it´s not the first time nor is it the last time a movie made by a non-American director will get an oscar for best picture.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Well, it certainly couldn’t be given to Joker. We can’t dare validate that incel trash.

Not a fan?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan: love the film.

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TomaLevine
Member since 2019 • 444 Posts

@Jacanuk: First time a foreign film won

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Haven't seen it, but I've heard good things from a.) critics, and b.) a broad spectrum of people I know. When everyone can agree something is great, it generally is.

And for the haters, who would you rather the award go to?

@Master_Live said:
@sealionact said:

Cliched, trite, predictable, saccharined.

I liked Green Book but I also had a problem with it. It was essentially Hollywood going "Look, I have a black friend!".

Again, I liked it, but I generally don't think highly of films with happy endings like that.

@tomalevine said:

Are you for real?

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

@jaydan: The ratings sink because nobody cares about a bunch of disillusioned brats who are completely out of touch with reality.

Next year I'm sure all nominees will be women and people of color because they are a bunch of pandering pussies.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@tomalevine said:

@Jacanuk: First time a foreign film won

That is a matter of definition there.

There are a few winners who is a foreign non-American movie.

But it´s true that it´s the first time a non-English movie won for best picture,

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#26 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:

Who cares?

Seriously, why do so many people care about the Oscars?

Watching rich folk pat themselves on the back and give a big speech to inspire the common plebs, what's not to love?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jaydan

After having seen the film, I can safely say Parasite deserved the win, and I don't usually agree with these best picture winners.

I've seen a lot of the good ones from last year and recognize how others - The Lighthouse, Uncut Gems and Knives Out - got royally snubbed. I've watched Once Upon a Time in...Hollywood, I have seen Joker, I have seen The Irishman - but damn - Parasite is in a different league. It was such a refreshing piece to see get such a high accolade as being the best picture in an entire year.

Now tell me, which American film deserved it more? If you verify you actually watched Parasite and still think an American film is better, I'd love to hear your take and I'll wait for the answer.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jaydan

@Archangel3371 said:

“A crippling blow to American Cinema”? No, not at all. A good movie is a good movie no matter its origin and the Oscars are a celebration of movies overall. I was surprised though as I thought Joker would win it but congrats to Parasite for winning.

Now that would have been a monumental upset to the world if Joker ended up winning. There was so many better films in 2019 more deserving than Joker. Joaquin Phoenix was deserving of the Oscar, though.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

@jaydan said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Now that would have been a monumental upset to the world if Joker ended up winning. There was so many better films in 2019 more deserving than Joker. Joaquin Phoenix was deserving of the Oscar, though.

I haven’t seen the movie yet myself but it just seemed that there was a lot of buzz about it so I just kind of expected it to win.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#30 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@tomalevine:

Have you seen Parasite? It was actually quite an amazing movie! It had delicious drama, great acting and one of the most unique plots I've ever seen in a movie. This movie was created in a way that it just wouldn't have worked if it was made anywhere else. It was influenced heavily by the culture and current societal issues plaguing South Korea. There were also moments where it would get hilarious and even heartbreaking. It's just something you have to experience. I don't think any movie that has been released this year deserved it more. Yes, this award was well deserved. 💯👏👏👏

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jaydan

@Archangel3371: Joker was talked mostly because of fake controversy led by media outlets up to its release. It may have led many nominations at the Oscar's, but just because it had a lot of nominations did not mean it was the master of any of them. The only thing really going for it was Phoenix's acting performance, which is why acting was the only thing it rightfully deserved.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Parasite was hands down better than 1917 and Joker, though I liked both of those as well.

Parasite deserved it, if any of the other movies had won it would have been a weak winner

Parasite = 9.5 out of 10 from me

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#34 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Haven't watched Parasite. But I loved the director's previous movie, The Host. So congrats to the team of Parasite!

angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts

I know I'm only a few weeks late, but here's the latest from the "Cheers & Jeers" section of TV Guide (March 2-15, 2020):

Jeers to the Oscars for going hostless. Again. We get it---it's a thankless job and everyone is afraid to joke for fear of offending the audience. But somebody needs to keep it running smoothly. Otherwise, viewers end up wondering why Eminem is performing a song from 2002, how many categories are left and whether we can hope to see Steve Martin and Chris Rock come out again.