This topic is locked from further discussion.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

If a doctor says from 1 to 10 what would you put the pain at. Could you say?. 3 weeks ago i went to doctors as got a pain in my side near my ribs and you can feel a rock hard lump. You cant see it swollen but i noticed it when my side started aching and touched it. I went to docs the next day and said it hurts but not too much. They asked from 1 to 10 what the pain like 10 been worst. I said then its not a pain like that and can never say a scale. In the end i just said a 4 even though it hurt i can handle pain.

That was 2 weeks ago so they felt it and felt something which they said it feels like your spleen swollen so go for a abdomen and chest X-ray. I go to hospital and they tell me that I'm not having a abdomen x-ray today just a chest x-ray. I was like what. They said they would wright a note to doc but this was 14 days ago now and no results from even chest x-ray. Going back today as the pain still there and not got any better.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I would give a number that I believe to be most accurate. The worst pain I ever experienced was a kidney stone. I fell to the ground and was in the fetal position. I would give it a 7 or an 8. The pain was bad enough that I wanted to die but it wasn't bad enough for me to scream out in pain.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 skipper847

@SOedipus: Ive 2 pains where it was a 10 and didn't no what was happening. It was just over 2 weeks after my kidney transplant. I didn't feel well all day that day. That evening i felt sick and all of a sudden my hole body just cramped up. Its hard to describe but it felt like my veins and even blood stopped flowing. I couldn't move and my wrist and fingers seized up like claws. Still dont no what it was till this day. The other 10000000 out of 10 pain was a stent been taken out. Every one has one put in after a transplant and its in for about 7 weeks. Its to keep the flow of urine and its attached to the kidney and bladder. The stent is quite big and long too. There is only one place it can come out which is your ding dong. When i had it taken out the where about 15 doctors and nurses in room as well and yes they got to handle it. They numb it with a needle then put a camera down it and pull it out. That's the worse pain ever.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 skipper847

Just been back to docs and got really no where with it. got chest x-ray back and all ok. I mentioned about the abdomen x-ray been cancelled and hospital was going to wright them a note. Doc didn't want to no. So still no closer why my rib hurting and swollen. At least doc felt and said something wrong. NHS is good infarct excellent I wouldn't be here today. But there only good when answers in front of them which i known from past experience and today. If they have to work they not bothered.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@SOedipus said:

I would give a number that I believe to be most accurate. The worst pain I ever experienced was a kidney stone. I fell to the ground and was in the fetal position. I would give it a 7 or an 8. The pain was bad enough that I wanted to die but it wasn't bad enough for me to scream out in pain.

When you say it hurt so much that you wanted to die, I think they consider that higher than a 7 or 8. I would say that's a 9. I doubt I could go much further than that without the brain shutting down. But when a doctor asks me something like that a description like 'it makes me want to die' is usually good enough XD

I always consider 1-5 to be nothing to worry about if it doesn't last longer than a week, 6 to be annoying to the point of demanding your attention and 7-8 to be something that feels serious, that you want someone to look at or at least take something for to make it stop. 9-10 being pain that makes you unable to function and maybe gets you in tears.

I wonder if other people's scales are different.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

@SOedipus said:

lol. if it is debilitating to the point of not being able to function otherwise. that seems like the textbook definition of a 10 if there is one.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#7 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I remember when I got out of an operation, as I was coming to, I was asked, "What's your pain level on a scale of one to ten?" I was still groggy as hell. I was trying to figure out how I would quantify the current pain I was feeling. I mean, do I have to take into account my pain threshold? Like, is a broken bone to someone a 10 but like a 6 to me? I never had an operation before. I wouldn't know what the standard would be. So, I said three. She administered drugs based on the three, and a few seconds later, I realized I severely low-balled it.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Worst pain I felt was a bone marrow biopsy. I nearly passed out. No anesthesia or anything, not even local.

Now the pain I feel is chronic pain, anywhere from 2-9 on some days. I have avascular necrosis on my left elbow, shoulder, and hip.

It's best to describe the pain along with giving the a scale, or even an guessimate average that you feel when it happens. Is it dull or is it sharp? Stuff like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

Worst pain I felt was a bone marrow biopsy. I nearly passed out. No anesthesia or anything, not even local.

Now the pain I feel is chronic pain, anywhere from 2-9 on some days. I have avascular necrosis on my left elbow, shoulder, and hip.

It's best to describe the pain along with giving the a scale, or even an guessimate average that you feel when it happens. Is it dull or is it sharp? Stuff like that.

That is incredibly painful. You can't numb up the bone. I saw someone get one once, and I still have phantom pains about it. My sympathies.

Most painful thing I ever had done was an EMG. They shock you countless times, then stick needles in your muscles and make you contract against them which hurts like a bitch. Needless to say, its a test they can only do once.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SOedipus

@comp_atkins: @KungfuKitten: Alright, 9 then.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

10 - requiring massive doses of pain meds intravenously 24/7 for about 6 weeks. Left me in a delusional fantasy state where I couldn't tell what was real or not...which the Doctors and Nurses preferred over having to listen to me scream, lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#12  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

lol. if it is debilitating to the point of not being able to function otherwise. that seems like the textbook definition of a 10 if there is one.

I would think a 10 would require constant pain for a long amount of time when your body is so exhausted from the pain you just can't go on. Then again, by that time you won't be at the doctor's office rating it from 1-10 so that you make a 10 unachievable for that particular question.

I've had my share of falls, accidents, scars and broken bones but I think the closest I've been to a 10 was that for the first 25 years of my life every time I'd sneeze, some of my nerves would get pinched in my spine and that would just send pain through my arms and legs and it felt like every nerve in my body was being ripped off and set on fire. For about 2 minutes after sneezing I wouldn't be able to talk or move until the pain faded away...it was so intense my body would just go into overload for a bit and shut down. Sometimes all the veins in my hands and arms would bulge out and my hands would turn purple. As you can imagine it was hell when I had a cold, sometimes spending most of the day in that sort of pain. Thankfully the pain was so violent it would stop sneezing fits (which are common in my family) :p

I went to several doctors and they told me what I had "wasn't a thing" (which seems to be a common reply...it's known online as SAPS...Sneezing Arm Pain Syndrome and most people got told by the doctors it doesn't happen) My sneezes are fairly loud so I always tried to suppress them as much as possible for politeness' sake but one day I was so pissed off with the constant pain I just let a sneeze out really loudly and had zero pain...since then I just sneeze as loud as I need to, politeness be damned....haven't had the pain since except once during the funeral of my wife's grandma....we were in the church and I really didn't want to disrupt the ceremony so I tried to be quiet with the sneeze and the pain was so bad people thought I was having a heart attack XD

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@sonicare said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

That is incredibly painful. You can't numb up the bone. I saw someone get one once, and I still have phantom pains about it. My sympathies.

Most painful thing I ever had done was an EMG. They shock you countless times, then stick needles in your muscles and make you contract against them which hurts like a bitch. Needless to say, its a test they can only do once.

Ah, yes. I'm just so used to getting getting local anesthesia when I got lumber punctures (not that painful from my experience).

I looked up EMG and it sounds painful.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Honestly, I'd say having one of my wisdom tooth break in half, then break off into my gum line as easily the most pain I've been in. Easily a 10 considering I wasn't able to sleep for 2 weeks straight with nothing able to alleviate the pain. Just night after night of me wanting to grab a gun and blow half my jaw out just to get that tooth out of my mouth. Eventually, the pain went away but I didn't do anything about that tooth for 3 years until a month ago when the pain came back with vengeance. Got so bad that I was about to take some pliers to it but decided to go to a dentist and pay the man to remove....

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I actually got asked this exact question recently. I started my military service mid January and the long hours of standing have taken a toll on my back. During a regular doctor interview at my current military facility, I mentioned that I have back pains and the doctor asked me to measure the pain on a scale from 1 to 10 to which I answered that it can even reach 7 at times.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

The most pain I have ever experienced is a tie between swimmers ear and ulcerative colitis flair.

I’d give them both a five.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By comp_atkins

@korvus said:
@comp_atkins said:

I would think a 10 would require constant pain for a long amount of time when your body is so exhausted from the pain you just can't go on. Then again, by that time you won't be at the doctor's office rating it from 1-10 so that you make a 10 unachievable for that particular question.

I've had my share of falls, accidents, scars and broken bones but I think the closest I've been to a 10 was that for the first 25 years of my life every time I'd sneeze, some of my nerves would get pinched in my spine and that would just send pain through my arms and legs and it felt like every nerve in my body was being ripped off and set on fire. For about 2 minutes after sneezing I wouldn't be able to talk or move until the pain faded away...it was so intense my body would just go into overload for a bit and shut down. Sometimes all the veins in my hands and arms would bulge out and my hands would turn purple. As you can imagine it was hell when I had a cold, sometimes spending most of the day in that sort of pain. Thankfully the pain was so violent it would stop sneezing fits (which are common in my family) :p

I went to several doctors and they told me what I had "wasn't a thing" (which seems to be a common reply...it's known online as SAPS...Sneezing Arm Pain Syndrome and most people got told by the doctors it doesn't happen) My sneezes are fairly loud so I always tried to suppress them as much as possible for politeness' sake but one day I was so pissed off with the constant pain I just let a sneeze out really loudly and had zero pain...since then I just sneeze as loud as I need to, politeness be damned....haven't had the pain since except once during the funeral of my wife's grandma....we were in the church and I really didn't want to disrupt the ceremony so I tried to be quiet with the sneeze and the pain was so bad people thought I was having a heart attack XD

not going to lie, that is really weird.

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

"I wouldn't be here if it's not 10."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@comp_atkins said:

Yep, and very frustrating when the doctors don't believe you.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 comp_atkins

@korvus said:
@comp_atkins said:

Yep, and very frustrating when the doctors don't believe you.

i can imagine.

you: "doc, i'm in agony"

doc: "no you're not"

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@SOedipus said:

I had a kidney stone too and no number in existence could quantify the excruciating pain I felt. I'd say you got off easy.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 skipper847

Still no closer so obviously hospital not going to wright to them. I'm going for my kidney check up on 23rd of March so if stays same i will wait till then and tell them too. If it gets worse i will go back to docs. I only notice it if I'm doing something more physical. I can walk ok but after a while it does start to hurt. The lump or what ever it is still same size and its not on my left side.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@comp_atkins said:

i can imagine.

you: "doc, i'm in agony"

doc: "no you're not"

I even had a doctor who told me "Just try not to sneeze"....wtf?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SOedipus

@crimsonbrute said:
@SOedipus said:

I had a kidney stone too and no number in existence could quantify the excruciating pain I felt. I'd say you got off easy.

You need surgery?

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@SOedipus said:

You need surgery?

Passed it but there is another stone that may require it.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By skipper847

Well back to square one. After been back to docs twice and them telling me to Chase it up what's happening with abdomen x-ray and ultra sound no one knows. But at least the chest x-ray came back nothing wrong. So obviously the hospital what said we will wright to doctors saying that you not had abdomen x-ray and need a ultra sound was never sent. Hope this thing on my side now is nothing serious. It still discomfort and can feel it but it not grown or got worse. Even though I'm 100% sure its not my left kidney as i no for sure i haven't one they still think it something to do with that.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By skipper847

Well i got the reason why nothing been done about it. It because on there system it was sent out but i never received the appointment in post. But something abit fishy as i asked twice if there was anything on my notes saying about what the hospital said, They said no. when i go for ultra sound they will probably say when i go for results that you should have come sooner. I be like greeeeeeeeeeeee.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 skipper847

At last been sorted and docs last week sent a message to hospital for a ultra sound appointment and they put it as urgent. Been to docs today to see any update they say no. I phoned hospital up asking for any update and they say it be in 4 weeks at least. I felt like being sarcastic but as you no in other topics I'm not and me been me i just said thank you and put phone down. I wanted to no though what is classed as urgent then?. Been going on now for 9 weeks. The pain gone but it still feels hard and bony like be for but now its kind of pins and needles. Next Friday I'm going to kidney hospital for a check up so i will see there too as i no for sure its note to do with the kidney even though that what I'm having ultra sound for.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Didn't he have the emojis that show the pain level?

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 skipper847

@ArchoNils2: lol. I would have ripped it up if he showed me that. I hate emojis.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

4 years ago, worst pain that has ever happen to me is Gout! I had Gout on my right foot and my God, I was such in fucking pain, I barely could walk or even put on socks. Walking in Crutches help a little but I was still in pain and the doc said from 1-10 scale, I said 8/10.

For those who have Kidney Stones, I know from a number of people it hurts like shit compare to Gout.

magician32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 magician32
Member since 2018 • 13 Posts

@SOedipus said:

The worst pain I ever experienced was a kidney stone.

Those hurt like hell!!!

A kidney stone would rank 9 or 10 for sure.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SOedipus

@davillain- said:

4 years ago, worst pain that has ever happen to me is Gout! I had Gout on my right foot and my God, I was such in fucking pain, I barely could walk or even put on socks. Walking in Crutches help a little but I was still in pain and the doc said from 1-10 scale, I said 8/10.

For those who have Kidney Stones, I know from a number of people it hurts like shit compare to Gout.

I've had people tell me that they wanted to cut their toe(s)/foot off due to the pain.

@magician32 said:
@SOedipus said:

The worst pain I ever experienced was a kidney stone.

Those hurt like hell!!!

A kidney stone would rank 9 or 10 for sure.

I always figure that there's something always worse. But yeah, it sucked!

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 skipper847

Hope this has nothing to do with the kidney or my side but this last 2 days been really tiered. When i use to have seizures be for they found it was kidney failure every one said it because i use to play on computers all the time. Ive not had a seizure for 14 years since dialysis and transplant and been on computers. Last couple of days ive felt very tired and again now every one saying it because I'm on computer all the time. Ive not been sleeping at night only having 5 to 7 hours where i do no that i need at least 8. Not been sleeping due to noise out side as we live on a main road and its short cut and constant traffic keeping me up. Along with living with parents. I need it very quiet these days and since moving here 3 years ago ive not slept. Instead of counting sheep on a night i count how many cars go past. You cant count 1 second and noise drives me crazy. Yes I'm on computer but yesterday i was that tired i just binged watch Star Trek all day and had no energy same as today. Ive tried doing exercise and going out for a walk but only managed to go round block.