Outrage after black man shot by two white cops again ..

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

I watched the video, i don't understand why they had to shoot him ? He wasn't doing anything to threaten them ? I dont' know why he had a gun if he was just selling DVD's, but he did not seem like he was resisting in this video ? Obviously this has created quite an outrage. Link to video below ..

You be the judge ..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/07/06/video-captures-white-baton-rouge-police-officer-fatally-shooting-black-man-sparking-outrage/

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Things that stand out for me:

In defense of the police:

-The police were called because it is alleged Alton pointed a gun at someone and threatened them

-Alton was not complying with their lawful orders

-The police officers (after getting him to the ground) noticed a gun, and you can also hear one of the officers say he was going for it just before he was shot

-A gun was recovered from Alton's body

-Alton had a long rap sheet, including crimes such as battery, drug possession, domestic abuse, and some kind of sex crime as well. He was on probation and was it was not legal for him to be carrying a firearm.

Against the police:

-While it does show Alton not complying and resisting somewhat, the altercation did not appear to be that serious

-The video footage does not show Alton going for his gun, though a car does obstruct the view partially

-Both police officer's body cams were not working, they claimed both of them fell off during the altercation

-Police also confiscated the convenience store surveillance video and have so far not released it

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

I don't see why there would be so many cops present if he wasn't resisting. That's the commonality in almost all of these cop shooting videos the defiance and resistance. I'm not saying cops are right all the time or even most of the time (they are probably not), but honestly at the time of the confrontation is NOT a good time to stand up for yourself or fight back. Do what the cops tell you at the time, then hire a lawyer sue the shit of the city/county/state/fed and maybe even getting the cops responsible fired. You can swallow your pride for a few minutes then end up back on top vindicated.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

For the love of god can we PLEASE not make this guy out to be some martyr that he isn't. As always I'l wait for more news to come out, however preliminary reports already say he was on probation and was in the possession of a fire arm. While I don't think simple crimes give police to be judge/jury/executioner its moments like these where the deceased has always put themselves in a situation allowing this to happen.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

In many instances you have to act on instinct and it is involuntary in the heat of the moment. It is easy to parse an incident after it is over because you have all the time in the world to do so which you don't have at the time of the incident.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

@bmanva said:

I don't see why there would be so many cops present if he wasn't resisting. That's the commonality in almost all of these cop shooting videos the defiance and resistance. I'm not saying cops are right all the time or even most of the time (they are probably not), but honestly at the time of the confrontation is NOT a good time to stand up for yourself or fight back. Do what the cops tell you at the time, then hire a lawyer sue the shit of the city/county/state/fed and maybe even getting the cops responsible fired. You can swallow your pride for a few minutes then end up back on top vindicated.

yup. a fight with a cop is not one you are going to win at the time of the arrest

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LexLas

@Renevent42 said:

Things that stand out for me:

In defense of the police:

-The police were called because it is alleged Alton pointed a gun at someone and threatened them

-Alton was not complying with their lawful orders

-The police officers (after getting him to the ground) noticed a gun, and you can also hear one of the officers say he was going for it just before he was shot

-A gun was recovered from Alton's body

-Alton had a long rap sheet, including crimes such as battery, drug possession, domestic abuse, and some kind of sex crime as well. He was on probation and was it was not legal for him to be carrying a firearm.

Against the police:

-While it does show Alton not complying and resisting somewhat, the altercation did not appear to be that serious

-The video footage does not show Alton going for his gun, though a car does obstruct the view partially

-Both police officer's body cams were not working, they claimed both of them fell off during the altercation

-Police also confiscated the convenience store surveillance video and have so far not released it

Yes, lots of why's need to be released. There is obviously more to this story, and that is what the community is waiting for. There was video from their police car, and from the store clerk, but it was confiscated. When they break it down it will be what everyone is waiting for.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Unfortunately the video doesn't show much of anything needed to form an intelligent opinion. I think (and I stress think) the video showed one of the cops tackling the guy either over the hood, on the hood or whatever. Quite honestly, the poor quality had me wondering if the black guy was on his back or on his chest.

One thing I can say with certainty is how the cops will be the bad guy(s) and the black guy will be the innocent saint.......before any relevant details are revealed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Looks like the Justice Department has opened up a civil rights investigation about this incident.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44139 Posts

Damn. That looked brutal. While people most certainly shouldn't resist being arrested this shooting looked completely unnecessary. I'm interested in hearing more on why this officer found it necessary to shoot him point blank like that.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

The thing that is bothering me the most is that neither body cameras worked. I don't buy that. And they confiscated the surveillance tape. They released a statement that contradicts the video, they didn't know the video was out there. This is not the way I like to see the police department conducting itself. This is not a fascist police state and the police are not above the law. This seems all too common. Regardless of whether it turns out they had the need to kill him or not they have still acted very badly and I believe are trying to cover up evidence.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Ain't gonna pass any judgement either way at this point, If he had a gun and did reach for it then it's understandable the cops reacted, However if you've brought a person to the ground like that then aren't you supposed to ensure he cannot reach for anything?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Need more info.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Yeah, what a tragedy. A gangbanging sociopathic violent child molesting multiple felon can't even point his gun at people in a parking lot without getting hassled by the raciss pigs.

This has become a farce.

He had a gun. He didn't surrender. He has a long history of violence and it is no cops duty to die wearing kid gloves.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I wonder if black people shot white police all time it would matter?.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 N64DD

@Riverwolf007 said:

Yeah, what a tragedy. A gangbanging sociopathic violent child molesting multiple felon can't even point his gun at people in a parking lot without getting hassled by the raciss pigs.

This has become a farce.

He had a gun. He didn't surrender. He has a long history of violence and it is no cops duty to die wearing kid gloves.

lolol

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

Hopefully the security footage clears everything up, but it's kind of sketchy that both of their body cams were off.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Loading Video...

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 N64DD

All cops should go on strike. They're so demonized now and the criminals are heroes. Lets see how fast people are to turn around to beg for them to come back.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@n64dd said:

All cops should go on strike. They're so demonized now and the criminals are heroes. Lets see how fast people are to turn around to beg for them to come back.

Especially when they are disarmed and have no means of protection on their own. It boggles my mind why minorities especially those in underprivileged poor neighborhoods often perceive gun rights to be an issue exclusive to white people to fight for. If anything gun control affects them negatively more than anyone else, since cops are either incapable or reluctant to help if they are in trouble in their home or neighborhood.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 N64DD

@bmanva said:
@n64dd said:

Especially when they are disarmed and have no means of protection on their own.

Yup.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Solaryellow

@skipper847 said:

I wonder if black people shot white police all time it would matter?.

All the time huh?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Can't really tell much from that video though the cops did mention he had a gun......can't see if he was trying to get one or not from that video. Never understand though why people resist. You don't win that battle.

redrichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 redrichard
Member since 2015 • 203 Posts

@n64dd: Not surprising you two fools agree with each other.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

Cant make a clear judgement, on one hand h looked handled but on the other why in Gods name would he fight. One thing I will say is becareful when it comes to making these judgements based on character. That is where these cases spiral out of control. The Trayvon Martincase skyrocketed out of control when people tried to make it a race issue and paint Trayvon as a thug and Zimmerman as some upstanding citizen who took the law in his own hand.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

complying with an officer's commands isnt hard and pulling a gun on them isnt smart.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Solaryellow

@Mercenary848 said:

The Trayvon Martincase skyrocketed out of control when people tried to make it a race issue and paint Trayvon as a thug and Zimmerman as some upstanding citizen who took the law in his own hand.

The media (and many people) did the exact opposite of what you wrote.

People tend to jump to conclusions and I could see that being the case IF there was a decent video of the incident. Regardless, those with agendas are already bein exposed.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Someone called the cops because he pointed a gun at someone. He doesn't have a permit either and was about to get his 3rd strike.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LexLas

Here's a second video, different angle. I still can't tell anything ? Graphic content

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/new-alton-sterling-video-shows-didn-pull-gun-police-article-1.2701540?utm_content=buffera26a6&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#30 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

The fuzz are out of control.

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

The question that has to be answered, if this was me(anyone without a badge) killing a man because I thought they were reaching for their gun after being tackled and subdued, would I be charged with at least manslaughter?

Why is this shit different for the cops? Why can the pigs destroy evidence and not face repercussions? I've said it before, and I'll say it again, gun control only if the cops have to follow the same regulations.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

@LexLas: Ok...... Now how many black people killed other black people the same day?

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#33 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

@joehult said:

The question that has to be answered, if this was me(anyone without a badge) killing a man because I thought they were reaching for their gun after being tackled and subdued, would I be charged with at least manslaughter?

Why is this shit different for the cops? Why can the pigs destroy evidence and not face repercussions? I've said it before, and I'll say it again, gun control only if the cops have to follow the same regulations.

Well, next time I feel threatened, I'll give you a call. Hopefully you'll be there to risk your life for me.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheWalkingGhost

@joehult: go home, you're drunk.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Solaryellow

@joehult said:

First you need to explain why you tackled and subdued an individual.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-585ea4b128526

@Solaryellow: he stole my wallet.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheWalkingGhost

@joehult: Valid. I tackle them too. Then curb stomp them.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Solaryellow

@joehult said:

@Solaryellow: he stole my wallet.

He stole your wallet at which point you tackled him and then shot him when you reasonably (I added that word) believed he was reaching for a firearm with which to kill you? That sounds as if you reacted in a way similar to how others would react.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

The outcomes of multiple US court rulings and formal legal precedents have established a standard whereby any US police officer involved in a shooting need only convince a judge or jury that he BELIEVED that his life MIGHT be in danger in order to win complete exoneration from conviction.

Suppose that a US police officer were to see a young mother walking towards him with an infant in a perambulator. The officer could pull out his pistol, switch it to fully automatic, fire dozens of rounds into both the mother and the pram and still expect to get off scot free.

All he would have to do is convince the jury that the mother appeared to be behaving suspiciously and that he feared that the mother might have had a bomb in the pram.

Legal precedent would then compel the jury to find the shooting totally justifiable.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Understandable. Cops were probably blinded and disorientated by the bling in that man's mouth.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mercenary848

@Solaryellow said:
@Mercenary848 said:

The Trayvon Martincase skyrocketed out of control when people tried to make it a race issue and paint Trayvon as a thug and Zimmerman as some upstanding citizen who took the law in his own hand.

People tend to jump to conclusions and I could see that being the case IF there was a decent video of the incident. Regardless, those with agendas are already bein exposed.

A lot of things were said then(people love to pick sides), but zimmerman's name didnt go to the wolves until after the trial and everyone realized he is a shit head.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-585ea4b128526

I'm just sick of the double standard. The police, and prosecutors, are constantly getting away with withholding evidence, destroying evidence, using "faulty" cameras, etc. if it was anyone else destroying a video on their iPhone, or erasing the history on their web browser, the prosecutor would add an additional charge of tampering with evidence. But the cops can have two faulty cameras at the same time, or a camera that just happen to not be working the day Freddie Gray broke his neck, and no one gives a shit? Fair needs to be fair, if a cop opens fire, he needs to scrutinized the exact same as anyone else.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mercenary848

@joehult: I feel you, unfortunately some people are too extreme on this issue. Its either all cops are good or you are a police hater.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:
@Solaryellow said:
@Mercenary848 said:

A lot of things were said then(people love to pick sides), but zimmerman's name didnt go to the wolves until after the trial and everyone realized he is a shit head.

Are you joking? They were trashing him as some racist stalker from day 1, even going so far as to purposely edit/cut 911 audio to make him sound like a racist. They also were posting old 14 year photos of Martin constantly making him into some boy-angel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I'd to see more diversity in the people shot by police - H.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I don't blame the cops for shooting him. He should have not moved in the slightest, I wouldn't have. It's common sense to give up and let the cops take you away. Instead the guy had to give off this vibe that he wants to resist arrest and who knows what else. Natural selection.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#48 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@slipknot0129 said:

I don't blame the cops for shooting him. He should have not moved in the slightest, I wouldn't have. It's common sense to give up and let the cops take you away. Instead the guy had to give off this vibe that he wants to resist arrest and who knows what else. Natural selection.

While you should be smart and try to comply with the police, I dont think that moving in the slightest should be an indication for being shot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#49  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Something is surely ****ed up when two cops cannot restrain one man, after tackling him to the ground. For god sakes, who is teaching these wannabe tough guys?! Learn some goddamn jiu jitsu, and control the wrists!! Seriously, in a situation like that, you should not be given power like a policeman does if you are that inept in self defense and pacification technique. Shameful.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Can't say I feel bad for the guy considering he resisted (And CONTINUED to resist even when the cops had guns drawn out on him) but I think the officers did a piss poor job trying to arrest him. Yeah the guy is big but this isn't the same case as Michael Brown where its one officer trying to handle a heavy set guy resisting arrest. There were 2 of them and it seemed like the one who pulled out his gun simply had a itchy trigger finger. He clearly didn't look like he was trying to assess the situation with his own eyes and confirm that the guy had a gun....