OT's View On Cameras

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FrostyPhantasm (8521 posts) -

How do you guys feel about being filmed constantly throughout a day wether it be at a subway, bus stop, restaraunt, mall, work or in lots of places even in the streets. Is it something you notice and are aware of, do you care at all? Also how does this differ from someone standing there with a camera taking a video of you, does it suddenly make you uneasy because it has a face behind it?

I ask because i stumbled upon a trilogy of short youtube videos where a man walks around a city recording video of people and places, and lots of the people get very upset and aggressive, most of which then try to call the cops on the man, despite being feet away from another camera.

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/seattles-creepy-cameraman-pushes-limits-public-surveillance/

I personally don't care in either example, I mean as long as i'm not doing anything illegal, morally wrong or sketchy, what do I have to lose if someone stands there recording me? I'm not too worried about him going home and staring at pictures of me for 4 hours before going to sleep. I also believe cameras in public are a necessary evil for crime protections sake.

#2 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

idgaf

#3 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
I have NO expectation of real privacy when I go out in public. People are apparently actually surprised to know that stores have video surveillance. Uh, duh? People apparently also don't like this, and to that I say, suck it the hell up. You're in a public place and if you're not doing anything wrong or have done nothing wrong, those cameras do nothing to hurt you. There's a difference, though, between a camera catching everything happening in an area, and somebody following ONE person around with a camera. You're walking into an area that is recorded by cameras and you accept that, you can't really complain, but if somebody is filming JUST you, you have every right to ask them to stop imo.
#4 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -

It really doesnt bother me.

EDIT:Though it would kinda bother me if I ended up on a YouTube video or something.

#5 Posted by FrostyPhantasm (8521 posts) -
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]I have NO expectation of real privacy when I go out in public. People are apparently actually surprised to know that stores have video surveillance. Uh, duh? People apparently also don't like this, and to that I say, suck it the hell up. You're in a public place and if you're not doing anything wrong or have done nothing wrong, those cameras do nothing to hurt you. There's a difference, though, between a camera catching everything happening in an area, and somebody following ONE person around with a camera. You're walking into an area that is recorded by cameras and you accept that, you can't really complain, but if somebody is filming JUST you, you have every right to ask them to stop imo.

You are both in a public place though, so anything you do is given up to be viewed by the people around you, combine that with the right to film in public, he has every right to decline your offer. I was more-so interested in how many people get physical with the man in the videos, it's like chill the fvck out., It's a minor inconvenience at best.
#6 Posted by Jackc8 (8515 posts) -

The difference between a camera in a subway system vs. somebody standing there with a camera is that with the subway, the person watching the video feed ins't going to care about you or probably even notice you. While if a person is actually standing there with a a camera the assumption is that they'ge going to do something with the film, like put you in a film or on Youtube or something. Where you definitely will be noticed.

So I really don't care about public cameras but I wouldn't like somebody standing right in front of me filming me.

#7 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24606 posts) -
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]I have NO expectation of real privacy when I go out in public. People are apparently actually surprised to know that stores have video surveillance. Uh, duh? People apparently also don't like this, and to that I say, suck it the hell up. You're in a public place and if you're not doing anything wrong or have done nothing wrong, those cameras do nothing to hurt you. There's a difference, though, between a camera catching everything happening in an area, and somebody following ONE person around with a camera. You're walking into an area that is recorded by cameras and you accept that, you can't really complain, but if somebody is filming JUST you, you have every right to ask them to stop imo.

flaweless logic amirite

You're in a public place and if you're not doing anything wrong or have done nothing wrong, those cameras do nothing to hurt you.

but i agree that public places shoud have cameras
#8 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58790 posts) -
I don't like people to see me because I'm very ugly. It's a violation of my rights. I just want to stand at the bus stop away from prying eyes, gosh darn it.
#9 Posted by johnd13 (9304 posts) -

I have no problem with surveillance cameras-after all they exist for security reasons and since I' m not violating any laws or sth I just don' t care.

If we' re talking about a random guy though filming me while I mind my own business then it could get really annoying. Even if it' s not illegal I feel like my private space is violated (even if he' s many feets away) and having a bit of a social ackwardness it would make me feel even more uncomfortable. So if he wouldn' t stop after a while I would go over there and ask him to politely. If he doesn' t stop then well... I don' t know.

edit: That video was so funny btw :)

#10 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
You are both in a public place though, so anything you do is given up to be viewed by the people around you, combine that with the right to film in public, he has every right to decline your offer. I was more-so interested in how many people get physical with the man in the videos, it's like chill the fvck out., It's a minor inconvenience at best.FrostyPhantasm
I agree, but I wouldn't really enjoy it if I was being targeted and followed around regardless. You don't know what that person is doing with that video, and I can see why people don't want to be followed and filmed.[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="XilePrincess"]I have NO expectation of real privacy when I go out in public. People are apparently actually surprised to know that stores have video surveillance. Uh, duh? People apparently also don't like this, and to that I say, suck it the hell up. You're in a public place and if you're not doing anything wrong or have done nothing wrong, those cameras do nothing to hurt you. There's a difference, though, between a camera catching everything happening in an area, and somebody following ONE person around with a camera. You're walking into an area that is recorded by cameras and you accept that, you can't really complain, but if somebody is filming JUST you, you have every right to ask them to stop imo.

flaweless logic amirite

You're in a public place and if you're not doing anything wrong or have done nothing wrong, those cameras do nothing to hurt you.

but i agree that public places shoud have cameras

I know the logic is flawed, but really, if you've seen the inside of a security room, they're used for one thing: catching thieves and destruction or other legal matters on tape in order to press charges later/use as evidence. The security guy probably isn't watching you anyway, it's all there just to be recorded in case something goes down. The security/loss prevention guy isn't even watching most people. If he sees somebody stealing, he just watches them until he has the authority to make an arrest. The absolute WORST thing a company will do with those cameras is review the tapes to see if a certain placement of product draws the customer to it or if store layout makes customers buy more. That is the most shady thing that will go on there. If somebody is following you filming you on the street, you really don't know what they're going to do with that video. Basically, when I enter a Walmart, I am giving walmart the right to film me, I am agreeing to that by entering their establishment. I am not, however, giving docu-d0uche permission to film me as I'm walking down the street. There is a very very big difference between not EXPECTING complete privacy and having your privacy and rights violated.
#11 Posted by bnarmz (1372 posts) -
I dont like it. At one time not so long ago this would easily be seen as evasion of privacy. As time past people were able to use their cellphones to take pictures. More time past and people were able to take pics of everything and put them on the web. This little fact aids in taking away more of our privacy. A perfect excuse for the governments to allow more of the same. Cameras everywhere is an extreme practice that is not necessary. Many cowards want cameras to be watching everyones every movement.
#12 Posted by FrostyPhantasm (8521 posts) -
I dont like it. At one time not so long ago this would easily be seen as evasion of privacy. As time past people were able to use their cellphones to take pictures. More time past and people were able to take pics of everything and put them on the web. This little fact aids in taking away more of our privacy. A perfect excuse for the governments to allow more of the same. Cameras everywhere is an extreme practice that is not necessary. Many cowards want cameras to be watching everyones every movement. bnarmz
How is that cowardly?
#13 Posted by MrPraline (21351 posts) -
I support private enterprises' ability to have (visible!) cameras in their shops, stores and restaurants. I'm against government cameras on every f*cking corner of the street (hi London!) to keep up the false illusion of security.
#14 Posted by bnarmz (1372 posts) -
@ Frosty, if you want someone to watch every move than you are either super nosey or living in fear. I, along with many other's would rather have privacy over overseers.
#15 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (23008 posts) -

I don't mind. I have surveillance cameras of my own around our property.

#16 Posted by Murj (4557 posts) -

idgaf

coolbeans90

#17 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (23008 posts) -

Meh. It doesn't bother me so long as it's from a distance. Now, if the cameraman comes within my arm's reach or my boot, he may see stars if he gets on my face.

#18 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (23008 posts) -

Meh. It doesn't bother me so long as it's from a distance. Now, if the cameraman comes within my arm's reach or my boot, he may see stars if he gets on my face.

That said, I have surveillance cameras of my own around the property.

#19 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4735 posts) -

I don't really care. Actually, I'd probably be flattered that someone found me film-worthy.

#20 Posted by FrostyPhantasm (8521 posts) -
@ Frosty, if you want someone to watch every move than you are either super nosey or living in fear. I, along with many other's would rather have privacy over overseers.bnarmz
Or you know people are stupid and commit crimes frequently.