OT, why aren't we discussing the Game of Thrones finale?! (Spoilers, obvi.)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SkylinePigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 SkylinePigeon
Member since 2005 • 2625 Posts

There be dragons!

What did you think? Did you read the books before or not? How do you feel about the YEAR wait? etc.

Personally I think they've done a great job with the show so far. The casting has all been incredible from my perspective as someone who has read the books for years (on a recommendation from GS long ago, thanks guys!). I'm absolutely smitten with Kit Harrington as Jon Snow. I have very few real complaints, other than the absence of Robb's wolf, honestly. Also, why on earth did they move Jaime's ONLY scene in book 2 to the finale of Season 1? I'm sort of baffled.

I can't believe it will be a year!

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

I didn't like it. I haven't read the books, but I was looking forward to a more historical drama but it is swerving into traditional fantasy lore. However, Aria and Tyrion will have much bigger roles next season so I am excited for season 2!

SkylinePigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SkylinePigeon
Well I think it's hard to have "historical" drama in a fantasy setting, but GRRM always keeps it pretty light on the magic. There will be some in Season 2 but not that much.
XturnalS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XturnalS
Member since 2004 • 5020 Posts

Didn't read the books nor will I, but was incredibly taken by this show. Its simply amazing and got better every single week. Super bummed that Ned died last week and kinda diminished my excitement for future episodes but the ending of tonight's was simply better than I could've hoped for.

Really enjoying the sub-plots as well especially Snow's and Tyrion's, some excellent characters and storylines.

Cannot wait for the next season and what it'll bring.

Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about the series right now. I like it, but everyone I start to like too much dies in some way, except for Tyrion.

I literally yelled "****!" when Ned was killed off last week.

BlizzardBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BlizzardBear
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts

I am in love with this series but I too am a bit scared if it becomes to heavy on fantasy.

LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts

I'm hoping for season 2 they rename the series "Clash of Kings" and change the name for each subsequent season. They also have to expand the series to 12-13 episodes like most cable shows. 10 episodes is not enough for "Clash." Also, actually show the battles, if we don't even get a shot of Baywater, I'm pissed.

LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LoserMike

I didn't like it. I haven't read the books, but I was looking forward to a more historical drama but it is swerving into traditional fantasy lore. However, Aria and Tyrion will have much bigger roles next season so I am excited for season 2!

iloverikku11

Historical Drama? How'd ya get that after the first scene where they showed a big blue guy behead a old dude? Go watch Borgais if you want historical drama. "A Song of Ice and Fire" is more like Realist Fantasy.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts

I am in love with this series but I too am a bit scared if it becomes to heavy on fantasy.

BlizzardBear
But you have a fantasy related avatar! :? But don't worry, with one or two exceptions, all of the books are centered in real world things.
BlizzardBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BlizzardBear
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts
[QUOTE="BlizzardBear"]

majoras_wrath
But you have a fantasy related avatar! :? But don't worry, with one or two exceptions, all of the books are centered in real world things.

I love fantasy but right now I am really digging how the show is focused on the characters. There have been so many great quotes.
SkylinePigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SkylinePigeon

I recommend that people, uhhh, not get too attached, ha ha. Many of my favorite characters are no longer with us, but there are deaths to celebrate, too. :P Seasons 3 & 4 in particular will be bloodbaths, god (Book 3 will be split in to two seasons according to GRRM).

I don't think the series has yet become very heavy on fantasy. There is more magic as the series goes on, but it's not over done IMO.

Whose "side" do you find yourself on at this point? Personally I wish Ned would have listened to Renly. I think Renly has the potential to be a great king and is my favorite out of the season 1 contenders.

SkylinePigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SkylinePigeon
[QUOTE="BlizzardBear"] I love fantasy but right now I am really digging how the show is focused on the characters. There have been so many great quotes.

The characters are Martin's focus much more than magic, so I think you'll be pleased with the way things develop. :)
cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

Love the show. Hate the year wait.

My brother recommended the books to me awhile back, biut I never got around to reading them. After watching this series, I have to read the books. There is no way I can wait that long to find out what happens next. I hope the next season is a few epsiodes longer.

SkylinePigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SkylinePigeon

Love the show. Hate the year wait.

cmpepper23
ME TOO. The upcoming lack of Jon Snow on my TV is NOT ACCEPTABLE. :P
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I'm hoping for season 2 they rename the series "Clash of Kings" and change the name for each subsequent season. They also have to expand the series to 12-13 episodes like most cable shows. 10 episodes is not enough for "Clash." Also, actually show the battles, if we don't even get a shot of Baywater, I'm pissed.

LoserMike
Looks like Blackwater Bay won't be downplayed I think kinda like Rome, where Battle of Pharsalus was like few seconds of fighting, while the Battle of Philippi in the second season was a full scale battle scene. Besides, I don't want them going too extravagant with battle scenes, otherwise it might end up like Rome and discontinued after second season.
SkylinePigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SkylinePigeon
[QUOTE="LoserMike"]

funsohng
Looks like Blackwater Bay won't be downplayed I think kinda like Rome, where Battle of Pharsalus was like few seconds of fighting, while the Battle of Philippi in the second season was a full scale battle scene. Besides, I don't want them going too extravagant with battle scenes, otherwise it might end up like Rome and discontinued after second season.

If you watched the very brief teaser for season 2 after this episode, remember that the flames were green... looks like a reference to Blackwater if you ask me. :)
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I recommend that people, uhhh, not get too attached, ha ha. Many of my favorite characters are no longer with us, but there are deaths to celebrate, too. :P Seasons 3 & 4 in particular will be bloodbaths, god (Book 3 will be split in to two seasons according to GRRM).

I don't think the series has yet become very heavy on fantasy. There is more magic as the series goes on, but it's not over done IMO.

Whose "side" do you find yourself on at this point? Personally I wish Ned would have listened to Renly. I think Renly has the potential to be a great king and is my favorite out of the season 1 contenders.

SkylinePigeon

I've been lucky so far, my favorite characters (from the first four books) are Daenerys, Arya, Jon Snow, and Tyrion Lannister, who fortunately have managed to remain with us (and in all honest, they're characters whom I don't expect Martin to kill off, though I could very well be wrong).

Really can't wait for A Dance With Dragons.

Out of curiosity though, how closely does the TV series follow the first book?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="LoserMike"]

SkylinePigeon

If you watched the very brief teaser for season 2 after this episode, remember that the flames were green... looks like a reference to Blackwater if you ask me. :)

I haven't read the book so I wouldn't know :P I don't want to read the books either, don't like spoiling myself. And I got plenty of books to read. like that text book I have to read for my next midterm on thursday.....
SkylinePigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SkylinePigeon

chessmaster1989

Very! Of course there are some cuts and inserts, but nothing major (additional prostitute character from Winterfell, Shae backkstory is changed, expanded role of Loras and Renly, one scene from book 2 is moved to book 1, and other changes) but the major plot points are in place and the characters are very true to the books. All the casting is spectacular.

LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LoserMike

[QUOTE="SkylinePigeon"]

chessmaster1989

I've been lucky so far, my favorite characters (from the first four books) are Daenerys, Arya, Jon Snow, and Tyrion Lannister, who fortunately have managed to remain with us (and in all honest, they're characters whom I don't expect Martin to kill off, though I could very well be wrong).

Really can't wait for A Dance With Dragons.

Really close actually. They added a few sex scenes for exposition, trim the battles out. Also some scenes that are mentioned in passing in the later books are in the first season. Like the Jaime/Cersei scene, that Jaime reminisces about at the beginning of book 3 is actually shown in the 1st season to show how close the 2 are.
therancors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 therancors
Member since 2005 • 709 Posts

Hey look, what is Boromir doing on a spike? :P

358q9z6

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Because Jamie and certain other characters aren't featured in book 2 the show is apparently going to move around some of the scenes in book 2 and 3 and allow them to give tv viewers more continuity with the characters from book 1.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

It's been pretty good so far. I love the books and the series has been mostly true to them. Good way to refresh my memory for the upcomign dance with dragons title. The only downer is I already know how everything goes down.