OT: What is your overall opinion on the Jeep Wrangler?

#1 Edited by Ackad (3183 posts) -

I plan on purchasing one eventually (4 door). I was always fascinated with the Jeep Wrangler/Willys and have loved the design ever since I was a child. The fact that the roof, back hardtop, and door(s) are removable makes this vehicle the most ideal cruise car (at least during the Summer time).

Do any of the OT posters here own a Jeep Wrangler? If so,

1) What model: Sahara, Sport, Rubicon, Unlimited,etc?

2) What do you like/dislike about your car

3) Would you recommend the vehicle to someone looking to purchase a wrangler?

4) Overall reliability of the car?

#2 Edited by ScottMescudi (1550 posts) -

On the same boat TC, mainly because of the militarized looks of the vehicle. It's eye candy.

#3 Posted by BossPerson (9177 posts) -

american cars

leeeeeeeeeeeel

#4 Edited by SwagSurf (3022 posts) -

@BossPerson said:

american cars

leeeeeeeeeeeel

Daimler AG owns Jeep though..

#5 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

Not a big fan of any type of motor vehicles.

#6 Posted by foxhound_fox (97010 posts) -

Never driven one. Rode in a couple.

Ride on pavement is terrible (it's designed for off-road driving). Gas mileage is terrible for it's size. A fairly impractical vehicle all around.

If you plan on doing a lot of off-road driving, it'll be a great purchase. Otherwise, I'd suggest a Jeep Patriot or Cherokee.

#7 Posted by Ackad (3183 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Ride on pavement is terrible (it's designed for off-road driving). Gas mileage is terrible for it's size. A fairly impractical vehicle all around.

If you plan on doing a lot of off-road driving, it'll be a great purchase. Otherwise, I'd suggest a Jeep Patriot or Cherokee.

Funny because Jeep recently shifted to their new 3.6L engine, but as the year(s) go by, I'm sure it'll get better in regards to the riding experience. Maybe I'm just a sucker for these vehicle, who knows

*scratches head*

#8 Posted by foxhound_fox (97010 posts) -

@Ackad said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Funny because Jeep recently shifted to their new 3.6L engine, but as the year(s) go by, I'm sure it'll get better in regards to the riding experience. Maybe I'm just a sucker for these vehicle, who knows

*scratches head*

I like them too, but these are the complaints I've heard.

#9 Posted by Ackad (3183 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@Ackad said:

@foxhound_fox said:

*scratches head*

I like them too, but these are the complaints I've heard.

Likewise, at least from past friends..

#10 Edited by THE_DRUGGIE (25057 posts) -

It is a vehicle.

#11 Posted by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

I like them and probably my favorite model in the line of Jeeps. But, being a Jeep the gas mileage is mediocre at best. 10 years ago I would've bought one no question about it, but I'm not too fond of GM as of late. That company is going down hill and honestly, I wouldn't buy a GM car now.

#12 Edited by bforrester420 (3480 posts) -

It's not for me. If I wanted all-wheel drive, I'd get a Subaru Impreza hatchback. More fuel efficient, more agile, more reliable, quieter, more comfortable ride, less ostentatious, and you won't pay an arm and a leg like comparable European models.

I have no need for off-road capability

#13 Edited by foxhound_fox (97010 posts) -

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

It is a vehicle.

Obligatory

#14 Posted by foxhound_fox (97010 posts) -
@jasean79 said:

I like them and probably my favorite model in the line of Jeeps. But, being a Jeep the gas mileage is mediocre at best. 10 years ago I would've bought one no question about it, but I'm not too fond of GM as of late. That company is going down hill and honestly, I wouldn't buy a GM car now.

Jeep is owned by Chrysler Group LLC.

#15 Posted by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:
@jasean79 said:

Jeep is owned by Chrysler Group LLC.

Dammit, I should've known that! Oh well, Jeeps are good cars, though. My wife owns a 2004 Liberty and it's been great for her. Her parents just bought a Jeep Compass and they love it too. I stand by my claim that the gas mileage is still pretty low on these vehicles. That would be a big determining factor for me when purchasing a car.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
#16 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26969 posts) -

How much gas does it use?

#17 Edited by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

@shadowchronicle said:

How much gas does it use?

I think the Wranglers get around 15 in the city and maybe 20 on highway. That's about what my wife's Liberty gets now.

#18 Edited by Cujo31 (2878 posts) -

I own a 2 door Sahara, black, painted hard top with soft top, rolling with the soft top right now. I had a 2011 4 door but had bought it used and always wanted the new 3.6L engine, liked the extra cargo space but I have always been fan of just the 2 door Wranglers, I ended up trading it in for the 2 door and have never been happier, I have a second car my wife drives and is great for family outings, the Jeep is my toy I take up north and hit trails with but it is also my daily driver.

My first time in a Wrangler I was actually amazed at how smooth the ride was. The performance of the new 3.6 liter engine is amazing, fuel wise and power. If you don't drive to far for work then its not bad. I have been averaging 12 to 15 liters per 100km city and hwy driving mixed. Trust me, once you get into a Wrangler you will never be able to drive any other SUV, it will never be the same. The Wrangler 4x4 is also truly amazing and super fun to driver in the snow and mud. I always looked forward to heading out in the snow on the real snowy days!

Jeeps are known to hold their value very well also, you should be good looking to get the 4 door, it offers one more occupant as it seats 5, the 2 doors only seat 4, space wise it's great too. If you have the money and are going to be upgrading the jeep yourself with new suspension and all that then you should just go with the sport S with A/C. I personally went with the Sahara with the upgraded heavy duty suspension, do your research, there are many thing you may want to do like towing, if so I'd recommend looking into axle ratio's for heavier hauling.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try my best to answer.

#19 Posted by Ackad (3183 posts) -

@Cujo31 said:

I own a 2 door Sahara, black, painted hard top with soft top, rolling with the soft top right now. I had a 2011 4 door but had bought it used and always wanted the new 3.6L engine, liked the extra cargo space but I have always been fan of just the 2 door Wranglers, I ended up trading it in for the 2 door and have never been happier, I have a second car my wife drives and is great for family outings, the Jeep is my toy I take up north and hit trails with but it is also my daily driver.

My first time in a Wrangler I was actually amazed at how smooth the ride was. The performance of the new 3.6 liter engine is amazing, fuel wise and power. If you don't drive to far for work then its not bad. I have been averaging 12 to 15 liters per 100km city and hwy driving mixed. Trust me, once you get into a Wrangler you will never be able to drive any other SUV, it will never be the same. The Wrangler 4x4 is also truly amazing and super fun to driver in the snow and mud. I always looked forward to heading out in the snow on the real snowy days!

Jeeps are known to hold their value very well also, you should be good looking to get the 4 door, it offers one more occupant as it seats 5, the 2 doors only seat 4, space wise it's great too. If you have the money and are going to be upgrading the jeep yourself with new suspension and all that then you should just go with the sport S with A/C. I personally went with the Sahara with the upgraded heavy duty suspension, do your research, there are many thing you may want to do like towing, if so I'd recommend looking into axle ratio's for heavier hauling.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try my best to answer.

Ideal feedback mate. Are there any major differences between the sport unlimited (basic version) and the Sahara? Thanks in advance.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#20 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12860 posts) -

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

It is a vehicle.

look at my avatar

#21 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (25057 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

It is a vehicle.

Obligatory

I don't say.

I type.

#23 Posted by thegerg (18398 posts) -

@jasean79: What does GM have to do with Jeep?

#24 Posted by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@jasean79: What does GM have to do with Jeep?

Nothing. I had a brainfart.

#25 Posted by thegerg (18398 posts) -

@jasean79: Yeah, I saw. Disregard.

#26 Posted by Cujo31 (2878 posts) -

@Ackad:

The unlimited Sport is actually the Sport S.

These are the basic upgrades on the Sahara vs the Sport S Unlimited (Canadian Models)

Black Jeep Freedom Top hardtop, 18-inch polished aluminum wheels with Satin Carbon centres, P255/70R18 OWL on-/off-road tires, UconnectTM 430N with 6.5-inch touch-screen, Garmin Navigation, and six Alpine speakers with subwoofer, SiriusXM Satellite Radio with one-year subscription, Keyless entry and security alarm, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with reading lamp, Power, heated mirrors; manual foldaway, Automatic headlamps, Tubular side steps and bright bumper overlay, Heavy-duty suspension with gas shocks, Body-colour fender flares, 115-volt auxiliary power outlet, Power windows and locks, Air conditioning, Coat hooks, bright interior accents.

Best to just get to the dealership and check things out....see what you want vs what you need. Get a feel for leather seats vs the cloth, I much prefer cloth in the jeep and leather in my car.

A must for me was the power locks and windows, and heated and power mirrors. The side steps help getting in and out of the Wrangler too, and A/C is always nice to have on a really hot hot day driving to and from work. And with the Sahara you get the hard top....

Again going with the sport model you can always add things like side steps, hard top and different rims. Good luck with your search and I hope you get into exactly what you are looking for.

BTW what color you looking into? The dark silver you posted? Very nice, if I had it back I probably would have went with the metallic dark brown, but I do like my black. I saw one the other day and it looked pretty sweet.

#27 Posted by sonicare (55924 posts) -

@SwagSurf said:

@BossPerson said:

american cars

leeeeeeeeeeeel

Not anymore. Daimler ruined it further.

#28 Posted by Ackad (3183 posts) -
@Cujo31 said:

@Ackad:

The unlimited Sport is actually the Sport S.

These are the basic upgrades on the Sahara vs the Sport S Unlimited (Canadian Models)

Black Jeep Freedom Top hardtop, 18-inch polished aluminum wheels with Satin Carbon centres, P255/70R18 OWL on-/off-road tires, UconnectTM 430N with 6.5-inch touch-screen, Garmin Navigation, and six Alpine speakers with subwoofer, SiriusXM Satellite Radio with one-year subscription, Keyless entry and security alarm, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with reading lamp, Power, heated mirrors; manual foldaway, Automatic headlamps, Tubular side steps and bright bumper overlay, Heavy-duty suspension with gas shocks, Body-colour fender flares, 115-volt auxiliary power outlet, Power windows and locks, Air conditioning, Coat hooks, bright interior accents.

Best to just get to the dealership and check things out....see what you want vs what you need. Get a feel for leather seats vs the cloth, I much prefer cloth in the jeep and leather in my car.

A must for me was the power locks and windows, and heated and power mirrors. The side steps help getting in and out of the Wrangler too, and A/C is always nice to have on a really hot hot day driving to and from work. And with the Sahara you get the hard top....

Again going with the sport model you can always add things like side steps, hard top and different rims. Good luck with your search and I hope you get into exactly what you are looking for.

BTW what color you looking into? The dark silver you posted? Very nice, if I had it back I probably would have went with the metallic dark brown, but I do like my black. I saw one the other day and it looked pretty sweet.

This is great, thank you. I prefer granite (the ideal one is what I posted), but black is a good color too.

#29 Posted by SpartanMSU (3440 posts) -

@jasean79: Fuel efficiency has greatly improved since 2004...

#30 Posted by GamingGod999 (3135 posts) -

@SwagSurf said:

@BossPerson said:

american cars

leeeeeeeeeeeel

The Chrysler Group is owned by Fiat, IIRC.

#31 Posted by Ackad (3183 posts) -

What do you guys/gals prefer, 2 Door or 4 door?

#32 Edited by GamingGod999 (3135 posts) -
@Ackad said:

The 2 Door ones look a lot cooler (IMO, of course).

#33 Edited by Ackad (3183 posts) -

@GamingGod999 said:
@Ackad said:

I can't convince myself that the 2 door is superior to the 4 door Wrangler. According to a friend of mine, the 2 doors get better mileage and are extremely easy to move around with.

#34 Posted by GamingGod999 (3135 posts) -

@Ackad said:

@GamingGod999 said:
@Ackad said:

I can't convince myself that the 2 door is superior to the 4 door Wrangler. According to a friend of mine, the 2 doors get better mileage and are extremely easy to move around with.

Well, are you in need of the extra doors/space?

#35 Posted by Ackad (3183 posts) -

@GamingGod999 said:

@Ackad said:

@GamingGod999 said:
@Ackad said:

Well, are you in need of the extra doors/space?

No. It's just the design of the car (lmao).