OT, do you find it harder to make friends as an adult?

• 80 results
#51 Posted by X_Karen_x (500 posts) -

My coworker always talk about someone all day. I tell her not so hard to call!

#52 Posted by DaVillain- (36438 posts) -

@brimmul777 said:

All out of friends,my best friend growing up killed himself when he was 28 years old. He had mental problems and drug'n'alcohol issues as well. Very smart person with the smarts to become to whatever he'd wish to be,but addiction and mental disorders dragged him down the wrong path and eventually his death. As for me,gave up on being close to anyone since that time and I never even had a girlfriend in my life either,but slept with plenty of prostitutes over two decades.

Sorry to hear about you're one and only pal committing suicide, that can hurt if you was really close to him.

Don't feel bad about sleeping with prostitutes, I sleep with random girls myself going to Bars and talking to different girls. Old habits die hard :(

#53 Posted by X_Karen_x (500 posts) -

One my coworker keeps talking about this guy but she don’t call him for some reason. She say he ruin other guys for her.

#54 Posted by GTR12 (13468 posts) -

@x_karen_x: This isn't Facebook or Twitter.

#55 Posted by DaVillain- (36438 posts) -

@GTR12 said:

LOL I can't even tell if Karen is trolling or just making stuff up.

#56 Posted by GTR12 (13468 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@GTR12 said:

I thought it was a bot, but I dunno if bots can post on multiple boards and sort-of make sense.

#57 Posted by fireman64 (50 posts) -

Anymore I'm not that interested in making and new friends or staying in touch with old friends.

#58 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43913 posts) -

Yes. Not being constantly immersed into an environment (school, sports, etc) with people my age is tough.

There are work friends, of course, but friends outside of work? I don't think I've ever had one of those tbh.

#59 Posted by X_Karen_x (500 posts) -

@mrbojangles25:

You let social aspect take control of you. Not everyone is the same or want same thing. Some people at my job sometime explain this to people double my age. It easier said than done. You be surprise but more people that must go out all time to fit in often have more anxiety than those that don’t because of less self awareness. It like when gamers talk about maturity and Nintendo and when they don’t have “blood and guts” in their game but these have nothing to do with maturity.

Example is I work with the girl that talk talk talk about wanting to talk to someone but peers get in the way. Very easy to see she want to but peer pressure control her mind. This is social anxiety.

#60 Posted by GTR12 (13468 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

Yes. Not being constantly immersed into an environment (school, sports, etc) with people my age is tough.

There are work friends, of course, but friends outside of work? I don't think I've ever had one of those tbh.

Easy fix, just quit your job and get a new one.

Now you have new work friends and friends outside of work :p

#61 Edited by Gaming-Planet (19941 posts) -

Definitely. People are more invested in the time they take up online with their social media accounts.

The best friends you can have today are the ones hanging out at the hobby store playing table top games. They don't seem too invested in their social media status.

#62 Posted by sakaiXx (5480 posts) -

I have many good friends that I distanced and now regretted for doing that. Treasure your friends

#63 Posted by X_Karen_x (500 posts) -

@sakaixx:

Yes very true. I watch girlfriend of mine talk about this all day

#64 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43913 posts) -

@GTR12 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

BRILLIANT!

As they say, with friends like these, who needs benefits and a 401k!?!

#65 Posted by comoestas (47 posts) -

I find it easier tbh, because you can choose your friends better now.

#66 Posted by GTR12 (13468 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@GTR12 said:

BRILLIANT!

(I better not get modded for what I'm about to say, its a joke)

You mean "friends-with-benefits"?

That's better than retiring with a 401k.

#67 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43913 posts) -

@GTR12 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@GTR12 said:

BRILLIANT!

(I better not get modded for what I'm about to say, its a joke)

You mean "friends-with-benefits"?

That's better than retiring with a 401k.

haha touche

#68 Posted by shellcase86 (4391 posts) -

@comoestas said:

I find it easier tbh, because you can choose your friends better now.

True. Plus there's the domino or multiplier effect: If you're good friends with someone who is social and friendly, you'll likely be introduced to their friends, and so on and so on. This is an even bigger impact if you have a significant other who is also social/friendly. Multiplied again if they have a big family.

#69 Posted by X_Karen_x (500 posts) -

Big family often make people very anti social and cause odd behavior later on when reach adulthood. Reason for this is in comparison to one with small family or even orphan they learn to adapt to social environment at much younger ages and by time they adult they has no problem to fit in with a plethora of group.

#72 Posted by guerilla-man (57 posts) -

I only have a few freinds in real life and I don’t need loads of freinds.

Always been a loner boy most of my life.

But some people are better off not having them as a freind at all.

#75 Posted by Stultz1235 (10 posts) -

@paula218 said:

yep, so hard for me. Not because it's hard to talk to someone and then keep that relationship. but it's hard to find the one with the similar or at least has something in common with us. I find most of my current friends from high school and some others in games, and forums. and in fact i do find many friends and people to talk with in games like pubg mobile, ros, dugeon hunter,etc at apknite. and in steam too. since we share the same interest in gaming

Me too, most of my friends is from games. i only keep a small group of friend in real life from university

#77 Edited by mrbojangles25 (43913 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@GTR12 said:

I think she is a Tiger Mom.

#78 Edited by DaVillain- (36438 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

Oh I'm cool with Karen, despite her broken English and everyone hates it, even I know better not everyone is perfect and it's not that hard to decipher her broken English if you try :)

#79 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43913 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Oh I'm cool with Karen, despite her broken English and everyone hates it, even I know better not everyone is perfect and it's not that hard to decipher her broken English if you try :)

I'm referring to her attitude.

#80 Posted by sonicare (56682 posts) -

Maybe it's just the heroin talking, but I find it easier.

#81 Posted by VagrantSnow (317 posts) -

Wouldn't go as far as saying I find it harder but there are certainly less opportunities to meet like-minded people. I find it easy to get along with almost everyone I meet and I find myself forming acquaintances fairly regularly but it's not often I find people I have a lot in common with in regular day to day life.

#82 Posted by MirkoS77 (14122 posts) -

I have no friends. When I say none, not like one or two, I mean literally not one. My parents and online forums are my entire social life. There’s one married couple that I know who I see maybe every few years but that’s it. The only reason I even know them is because the wife was my boss back when I was twenty and we’ve kept in contact.

I’m Bipolar II so I’m often extremely paranoid and my mood from day to day is all over the place. It’s very hard to keep friends, much less make them, and I’ve pretty much given up. It’s opening myself up to pain. I’m not working right now but even if I was I’m disliked by everyone.

#83 Posted by Byshop (19566 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@Byshop said:

I've found it to be far easier as an adult, but I'm also far less interested in doing it as an adult.

-Byshop

Easier as an Adult? I find it lot more easy to do as a kid/teenage.

Yeah, way easier. I think it comes down to the idea that as I got older, I no longer stockpile Vulpes for distribution.

Or in other words, I have zero fox to give. That makes interacting with people way easier.

-Byshop