OT, are you sensitive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Kevlar101
Posted by Kevlar101 (6316 posts) 3 years, 8 months ago

Poll: OT, are you sensitive? (29 votes)

Yes, very. My good mood can be ruined by the slightest of blights, and I am brought to tears all too easily. 31%
Somewhat. Depends on the mood I am in. 45%
Not at all. Almost nothing can bring down my mood, and I rarely cry over things. 24%

Simple question OT.

Are you sensitive, somewhat sensitive, or not sensitive?

I am quite sensitive. It's very easy to bring me to tears, and my good mood can be destroyed in a heartbeat.

Avatar image for indzman
#1 Edited by indzman (27377 posts) -

i'm very much moody and sensitive lol

Avatar image for one_plum
#2 Posted by one_plum (6500 posts) -

Not really, but I'm not very thick-skinned.

Avatar image for jun_aka_pekto
#3 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (22276 posts) -

Depends. If it's just insults? Not really. But, if it's some kind of action that requires a like response? Sure. For example, some asshole decided to just slam the door of his truck on my car on the parking lot of a store. As soon as he went in, I buried my boot on the door of his pickup. I even tinkered with slashing his tires. But, I decided that big dent on the side of his truck is enough.

Avatar image for awesome3496
#4 Posted by awesome3496 (2208 posts) -

A bit. But I get happy way too easy so it doesn't matter.

Avatar image for Yoshi9000
#5 Posted by Yoshi9000 (479 posts) -

Yes, but at least it works both ways. On one hand, the slightest repetitive sound can get on my nerves greatly when Im trying to sleep, and I have anxiety pretty bad. However, it doesn't take much to put me in a good mood; the taste of my favorite food or sound of my favorite music can perk me up right away.

Avatar image for Master_Live
#6 Posted by Master_Live (18815 posts) -

I would say it depends. For somethings I can be dead cold. On others, like movies, I can get choke up or even cry pretty easily.

Avatar image for cynical_buzzard
#7 Posted by Cynical_Buzzard (226 posts) -

It depends on things.

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
#8 Edited by br0kenrabbit (15094 posts) -

I can count the number of times I've cried since high school (1994) on one hand. I'm pretty sure the last time I cried was when I got divorced (2002). When I get depressed I just tend to make work for myself rather than sit around and dwell on shit.

Pain just straight up pisses me off, but for some weird reason I have a habit of exacerbating pain. Like I'll chew on a canker sore, or stomp on an ingrown toenail. I dunno, it seems to hurt less afterward.

People insulting me usually makes me laugh, because 9 times out of 10 it's shit you can hear on any playground. If you're going to insult someone, at least personalize it to the person you're insulting.

Now, you touch me or my shit when I don't want you to and we're going to have a problem. I do have a short fuse with that shit and I'm not ashamed of it. Seriously, back the **** up.

Movies have never, not once, stirred my emotions. (Edit: Actually, Schindlers List is the sole exception...but there's more to that than just the movie and I don't really care to share) I can find them entertaining, they just don't effect me in that way. I think maybe because I grew up reading all the Hollywood FX magazines that were around in the 80's, so when I watch a movie I'm more thinking about the technical aspects than personifying the characters.

I have soft spots for people who through no fault of their own just can't seem to catch a break, though. I'm a sucker for a sob story.

And also dogs. I have a soft spot for dogs. I feel extremely depressed when I see a dog on a chain who never gets let off or let in the house. WTF people, why even have a dog? Before I moved here my neighbors had a little dog they kept in a small enclosure (maybe twice as big as my desk) and the only time they paid attention to it was when they brought the food and water out. I'd creep over in the middle of the night a few times a week (I'm up all night) and take that dog for a good long walk (on a leash, of course).

Ever seen a dog that's been jailed up its whole life finally get to move around? They go absolutely ape-shit with glee.

Avatar image for DNA-Hole
#9 Posted by DNA-Hole (49 posts) -

I had a rash on the crack of my ass one time, does that count as being sensitive?

Avatar image for Nibroc420
#10 Posted by Nibroc420 (13571 posts) -

I stop to let rabbits cross the road, because i dont want to run them over; I did once and felt horrible.

However i dont give a **** about people and their PC non-sense.

I'll use the C word towards women if i want. They call me by my genitalia, besides, the point of calling people nasty names is to offend them in the first place.

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
#11 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15094 posts) -

@Nibroc420 said:

I stop to let rabbits cross the road, because i dont want to run them over; I did once and felt horrible.

However i dont give a **** about people and their PC non-sense.

I'll use the C word towards women if i want. They call me by my genitalia, besides, the point of calling people nasty names is to offend them in the first place.

I've found beating people over the head with their own stupidity is far more satisfying than just insulting them. You should have seen the fun I had when my neighbor stenciled "English is are official language, learn it!" onto his tailgate.

:-D

Avatar image for Nibroc420
#12 Edited by Nibroc420 (13571 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@Nibroc420 said:

I stop to let rabbits cross the road, because i dont want to run them over; I did once and felt horrible.

However i dont give a **** about people and their PC non-sense.

I'll use the C word towards women if i want. They call me by my genitalia, besides, the point of calling people nasty names is to offend them in the first place.

I've found beating people over the head with their own stupidity is far more satisfying than just insulting them. You should have seen the fun I had when my neighbor stenciled "English is are official language, learn it!" onto his tailgate.

:-D

Assault and Vandalism are crimes.

Calling some idiot girl a C*** isn't illegal.

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
#13 Edited by br0kenrabbit (15094 posts) -

@Nibroc420 said:

Assault and Vandalism are crimes.

Calling some idiot girl a C*** isn't illegal.

Who said anything about assault or vandalism?

And yeah a few states will throw your ass in jail for cursing. Example:

(Texas)

Sec. 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:

(1) uses abusive, indecent, profane, or vulgar language in a public place, and the language by its very utterance tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace;

(2) makes an offensive gesture or display in a public place, and the gesture or display tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace;

Avatar image for Nibroc420
#14 Posted by Nibroc420 (13571 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@Nibroc420 said:

Assault and Vandalism are crimes.

Calling some idiot girl a C*** isn't illegal.

Who said anything about assault or vandalism?

And yeah a few states will throw your ass in jail for cursing around women and children. Look it up.

Good thing I'm not in the USA.

PS. Not sober, i misread your entire statement xD
"beating people over their head" = assault.
And I thought you were saying you had fun stenciling that into your neighbor's tailgate :P
(He really wrote that, not realizing it's "our" not "are"?)

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
#15 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15094 posts) -

@Nibroc420 said:

(He really wrote that, not realizing it's "our" not "are"?)

He's a proud redneck, whattya expect? lol

The guy can fix a tractor or any other wheeled vehicle with a rubber band and a coat hanger, but his world view doesn't extend beyond his nose.

Avatar image for hippiesanta
#16 Edited by hippiesanta (10299 posts) -

No ... infact I always laugh and gets icky at crying person.

Avatar image for johnd13
#18 Posted by johnd13 (9263 posts) -

Depends. Only when dealing with serious issues. In everyday shit, not at all.

Avatar image for XilePrincess
#20 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -

Depends on the day. Sometimes I'm rock solid and sometimes I just want to sink into the floor and never be heard from again.

The closer to sunrise it is, the more likely I'll get overemotional about dumb stuff. Sad homeless animal commercials at 5 am will always reduce me to tears.

Avatar image for GazaAli
#21 Posted by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

I used to be so but not anymore. I'm quite thick-skinned now and I made a conscious effort to change myself. However, there are those couple of things that no matter how much I try I'm unable to get past them which really frustrates me to this day.

Avatar image for sukraj
#22 Posted by sukraj (27268 posts) -

It depends on my mood.

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
#23 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15094 posts) -

@XilePrincess said:

Sad homeless animal commercials at 5 am will always reduce me to tears.

You mean these?

Loading Video...

Avatar image for Trender_man
#24 Posted by Trender_man (143 posts) -

yes, desperately in need of a hug

Avatar image for Evil_Saluki
#25 Posted by Evil_Saluki (5217 posts) -

Gamespot community isn't just sensitive it has a full on exposed nerve in the form of Dark Souls. Just slag off Dark Souls and people will jump to it's defense like you just murdered their wife and eaten their first born.

Avatar image for Stranger_36
#26 Posted by Stranger_36 (592 posts) -

Yes.

Avatar image for korvus
#27 Posted by korvus (10684 posts) -

Yup, mood swings all the way =P Thankfully, like other users have mentioned, it goes both ways; I'm easy to please and a normally happy person but I do get anger (non-violent) fits quite often when things don't go my way.

Avatar image for vl4d_l3nin
#28 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (1093 posts) -

Not really. I can be a little neurotic over little things. For example; if I wake up in the middle of the night, I can't go back to sleep until I touch the front door lock and light switch.

Avatar image for korvus
#29 Edited by korvus (10684 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin: Curious. Is that the only compulsion you have? Sounds like OCD but I'd think you'd have more situations like that.

Avatar image for redstorm72
#30 Posted by redstorm72 (4646 posts) -

Not at all. I've found it is far easier to shrug things off than get hung up on them and feel bad. That is not to say I don't feel bad sometimes, but I generally don't let that effect my actions or the way I interact with people and I try to move on as quickly as possible. There is nothing I like less than people who wallow in their own self pity. Everyone has had hard times in their lives, not just you.

Avatar image for vl4d_l3nin
#31 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (1093 posts) -

@Korvus85 said:

@vl4d_l3nin: Curious. Is that the only compulsion you have? Sounds like OCD but I'd think you'd have more situations like that.

Probably OCD. It's pretty regular, like before I leave the house, I'll pat my pockets for my keys, wallet and phone, then I'll take a quick loop around the house to make sure everything is off. It's always with environmental things, rarely anything personal/social. If I say something awkward, or end a conversation in a weird way, I usually don't stress.

Avatar image for korvus
#32 Posted by korvus (10684 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin: As far as OCD goes it's best to have it indoors than the alternative ;) And there's worse types of OCD than "checking everything before you leave" =P You seem to have it under control though =)

Avatar image for Kevlar101
#33 Posted by Kevlar101 (6316 posts) -

@Korvus85 said:

@vl4d_l3nin: As far as OCD goes it's best to have it indoors than the alternative ;) And there's worse types of OCD than "checking everything before you leave" =P You seem to have it under control though =)

I should know.

I have OCD, and for me, it's more invasive thoughts than anything else.

Avatar image for korvus
#34 Edited by korvus (10684 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

I should know.

I have OCD, and for me, it's more invasive thoughts than anything else.

It does get better with time and conditioning. I used to be a really sick kid, and everything always needed to be unrealistically clean, so at a point I ended up developing extreme germophobia for a few years....I would clean everything with pure disinfecting alcohol (that crap ruins everything it touches), to the point where I burned off my own fingerprints (they're back, now =P). It got so bad that a point I said "I'm messing my whole life up", worked really hard to get over it and I did and I have a perfectly normal life now. So don't despair, and if you need someone to talk with about your OCD drop me a PM. Stay strong =)

Avatar image for themajormayor
#35 Posted by themajormayor (25536 posts) -

@Nibroc420 said:

I stop to let rabbits cross the road, because i dont want to run them over

That's great. I feel the same. My driving instructor got really pissed off once cause I stopped for a bird that was sitting on the road. Sure I'm sure it could've quickly flown off but I didn't want to risk anything, and there was no traffic anyway. Stupid guy.

Avatar image for korvus
#36 Posted by korvus (10684 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

That's great. I feel the same. My driving instructor got really pissed off once cause I stopped for a bird that was sitting on the road. Sure I'm sure it could've quickly flown off but I didn't want to risk anything, and there was no traffic anyway. Stupid guy.

Apparently all driving instructors are assholes. Mine did the same thing; I'd always slow down to let pigeons (we had a lot of them close to the school) fly away and he always gave me crap about it: "Why are you wasting my time? The f'ing thing's got wings!". Everybody knows that given the chance, a city pigeon will eat itself silly and be unable to fly for a while. At a point every time he saw a pigeon on the road he'd press the gas on his side (overriding my pedals)...one day there was one on my side of the road and it was heavy traffic (so there was nowhere I could steer) and the asshole punched the gas and ran over it...made me feel like crap...

Avatar image for Master_Live
#37 Edited by Master_Live (18815 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@Korvus85 said:

@vl4d_l3nin: As far as OCD goes it's best to have it indoors than the alternative ;) And there's worse types of OCD than "checking everything before you leave" =P You seem to have it under control though =)

I should know.

I have OCD, and for me, it's more invasive thoughts than anything else.

I don't mean to be intrusive, but what kind of invasive thoughts? Because I think I might have the same problem.

Avatar image for Kevlar101
#38 Posted by Kevlar101 (6316 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Korvus85 said:

@vl4d_l3nin: As far as OCD goes it's best to have it indoors than the alternative ;) And there's worse types of OCD than "checking everything before you leave" =P You seem to have it under control though =)

I should know.

I have OCD, and for me, it's more invasive thoughts than anything else.

I don't mean to be intrusive, but what kind of invasive thoughts? Because I think I might have the same problem.

Would you mind if I PMed you about it?

Avatar image for Master_Live
#39 Posted by Master_Live (18815 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@Master_Live said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Korvus85 said:

@vl4d_l3nin: As far as OCD goes it's best to have it indoors than the alternative ;) And there's worse types of OCD than "checking everything before you leave" =P You seem to have it under control though =)

I should know.

I have OCD, and for me, it's more invasive thoughts than anything else.

I don't mean to be intrusive, but what kind of invasive thoughts? Because I think I might have the same problem.

Would you mind if I PMed you about it?

Sure, please do.

Avatar image for Shottayouth13-
#40 Posted by Shottayouth13- (7014 posts) -

My care-o-meter has been at an all time low lately.

Avatar image for plageus900
#41 Posted by plageus900 (2325 posts) -

OT's theme song is 'Craaawwwwwling in my skinnnnnn'.

I've never seen so many feels in my life. This community could put my crybaby wife to shame.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#42 Posted by ShepardCommandr (4824 posts) -

A long time ago yeah.

Nowadays i just don't care anymore.