Only most recent job and education on resume?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Makatak212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Makatak212
Member since 2013 • 42 Posts

If I had one part time job in 2004-2005, and a full time job from 2006-2008, and that was the last job I had, should I put both jobs on resume or only the most recent?

Same question with college education. If I attended a community college in 2008-2010, and university in 2010-2012 (B.S. in accounting), should I only include the most recent place of education (Uni)?

I thought it would be more considerate of me to save prospective employers about 0.12 seconds of the time it takes to scan over my resume before tossing it in the waste basket.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I don't know what's the norm in the US, but here in Switzerland it is usual to put everything in it. The thing is: If you start having gaps, it looks like you were chilling in this time and doing nothing which makes you seem lazy. Usually we also list some major projects we made during our work in that company. So the new Lead software developer we hired a few weeks ago sent us 14 pages in total ^^

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

@Makatak212 said:

If I had one part time job in 2004-2005, and a full time job from 2006-2008, and that was the last job I had, should I put both jobs on resume or only the most recent?

Same question with college education. If I attended a community college in 2008-2010, and university in 2010-2012 (B.S. in accounting), should I only include the most recent place of education (Uni)?

I thought it would be more considerate of me to save prospective employers about 0.12 seconds of the time it takes to scan over my resume before tossing it in the waste basket.

So typically, you want to list all relevant work experience, but remember, employers typically don't like to see gaps in work / education, if there are gaps, be sure you have a good explanation. Also, you do not need to list all college education unless you earned a degree. If you didn't get a degree from community college then don't list it, simply list your B.S. in accounting and where you got your degree from.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Yes, you should actually FILL OUT your job application.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#6 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

Your bachelor's degree overwrites your time in community college; if it was an associate's degree. If you were a certified electrician or something you could put your cc in there.

Then make sure you list all relevant work experience.

If you don't have anything that relates to what you are applying for, then yeah go ahead and put your previous jobs in there to fill in any gaps in employment.

If you had any volunteer work or intern work related to what your applying to I would put that in as well.

Also try to keep it 1 page and have a separate references page.

kevindean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By kevindean
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

I wrote about my education. Tried to write a lot so it looks better, but they somehow knew that I am worried by one matter and that's can I pay someone to write my essay and it is really what's bothering me. I need some help and I am not afraid of asking for it. My advice to you is that you need to be honest in your resume, they value honesty, believe me. Your experience matters, so try to write about everything equally. You can also write about your personal accomplishments, I'm sure that they will be impressed!

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

At least in my country keep your resume within 1 page only. Highlight your top achievements.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I usually mix and match my relevant trades and experience according to the job I am applying to. If the most recent job I had is not relevant to the type of work that I am applying to, I am not going to use it. As far as education goes, it is most important to show your highest level of education.

Avatar image for dr_van_nostrand
Dr_Van_Nostrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dr_Van_Nostrand
Member since 2018 • 111 Posts

I don’t sweat it. I filled out a full fledged pdf. Explained the work place harassment, the length of time, explained the history and who was involved, and they were rather understanding. So yes I think if there are gaps in any corporate job, it is important to explain in great detail.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I have an absence of any work history from age 21-41 due to a disease and depression I've been battling during this period. I just got my CPhT certificate, and now that I'm trying to build a resume, I have nothing to put in it aside my accreditation. There some menial work I did as well as some college here and there through those years, but nothing that really amounted to anything. I don't know how employers are going to react, or if they're even going to give me a second look.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

List relevant information first.

It's important, most times, to keep your resume to a single page.

Use your cover letter for any explaining, but stay positive. Don't point your work absence, instead point out anything you did during that time; travel, volunteer work, additional education...be like "After leaving ______ I took some time to do ____________ which added to my abilities and skills by ____________ and _________".

Be short and to the point, be positive about yourself but don't brag. They're going to spend about 20 seconds skimming your resume before deciding whether to consider you or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

7 month old thread guys.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@Gamerno6666 said:

7 month old thread guys.

Yup. Whether or not he got the job is old news at this point unless they have an unusually long interview process.

-Byshop