Ongoing Riots in the United Kingdom (please keep it here)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 Planet_Pluto
Member since 2011 • 2235 Posts

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

Kinda makes me wonder what the riots here in the U.S.will look like......... once we tell all the people that are getting a free ride in this country, that the free ride is over.

Wasdie

Yeah that's coming... going to suck.

China will be worse though. When people realize they have been getting used by their government and pretty much whored out to the rest of the world.

Funny you should mention that. I've often thought that one of the best things for the West, will be when the practically-slave-labor force finally rises up in China. Sadly, China's government doesn't fight with kid-gloves, so it will be NASTY.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#202 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

Kinda makes me wonder what the riots here in the U.S.will look like......... once we tell all the people that are getting a free ride in this country, that the free ride is over.

Planet_Pluto

China will be worse though. When people realize they have been getting used by their government and pretty much whored out to the rest of the world.

Funny you should mention that. I've often thought that one of the best things for the West, will be when the practically-slave-labor force finally rises up in China. Sadly, China's government doesn't fight with kid-gloves, so it will be NASTY.

when china goes off, it will make THe london riots look like a child's temper tantrum

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#203 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Zaibach

when china goes off, it will make THe london riots look like a child's temper tantrum

I have a feeling it will make WWII look calm...

Seriously, 1 billion pissed off people vs. the largest military in the world with tons of lethal weapons. Won't be pretty. The rest of the world dare not enter the fray either...

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

I suspect things will be tough tonight...

In order to get the stated 16000+ police on the streets of London tonight, they are pulling police officers from elsewhere. This is concentrating police presence in London, while leaving everywhere else undermanned.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#205 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Looting is taking place...I think I need to plan a trip to London since there are a few things I want.MushroomWig

brixton riots

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#206 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

I am surprised the government hasn't reacted with a more violent backlash by now.But I suppose if they did then in 20 years time it'd be remembered as yet another time when a heavy-handed conservative government smote the protesting people or something.

A bunch of people causing havoc because of anonymity and being part of a large crowd of people who're doing it too. I'm sure they're getting lulz out of it though right so who can really blame them individually? I wouldn't do that sort of thing but I can hardly expect the whole world to share my moralistic views.

Don't know how I feel about it all to be fair. Very few of them will be prosecuted in any way. We just have to wait it out I think and then the people with good intent will get down to cleaning it all up.

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 Planet_Pluto

Some interesting Before/After picks from London HERE

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#208 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts

In order to get the stated 16000+ police on the streets of London tonight, they are pulling police officers from elsewhere. This is concentrating police presence in London, while leaving everywhere else undermanned.

AnnoyedDragon
And in order to roll out water cannons they'd have to take them from the police service of northern ireland (the only british constabulary that has them). The PSNI are probably pretty good at dealing with things like this and sending some of them to london might not be too bad an idea. But removing their presence in ni is especially worrisome considering that riots like this tend to break out there between dissident factions. The problem with the army is that, available numbers aside, the british army do not seem to be well trained to handle civil disorders like this, which are not that common in the uk. Their deployment in northern ireland over the past few decades was in response to armed civillian paramilitaries who were routinely engaging in terrorist attacks against the innocent population of NI. The situation in London and other cities is nowhere near that, mass looting and destruction of buildings is one thing but the rioters are not routinely targeting and attacking innocent people, thus far there has been only one report of a death. The police were severely undermanned and overwhelmed last night, but hopefully this night they'll be ready. Though I do find the british police's reluctance to use force bothersome, water cannons and baton rounds should be available to them in my opinion.
dkrustyklown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 dkrustyklown
Member since 2009 • 2387 Posts

I have a feeling it will make WWII look calm...

Seriously, 1 billion pissed off people vs. the largest military in the world with tons of lethal weapons. Won't be pretty. The rest of the world dare not enter the fray either...

Wasdie

My worry is that the West, beholden by massive debts, will intervene to aid the Chinese state if such an insurrection were to occur. If that ever happened, it would be to our everlasting shame.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
What's up with Europeans and rioting? The U.S. has a comparable population to Western Europe with a fraction of the riots.KC_Hokie
Can a difference of 100 million be called comparable? :P
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Everywhere's shut where I live, definitely moving out of England when I get the chance, the weather's crap and a lot of the people are mindless idiots.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#212 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

This woman is awesome.

Brutal_Elitegs
sums it up
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Everywhere's shut where I live, definitely moving out of England when I get the chance, the weather's crap and a lot of the people are mindless idiots.

cyborg100000
Where do you intend to go? Maybe you're just in the wrong part of England?
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#214 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

[QUOTE="cyborg100000"]

Hexagon_777

He should come to Scotland :P

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"][QUOTE="cyborg100000"]

gameofthering

He should come to Scotland :P

Or wales. Everything's lovely here and a riot would probably make the area look a wee bit nicer
Morrdecai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 Morrdecai
Member since 2011 • 587 Posts
BBC News: "Clasford Stirling, a resident of Tottenham for 32 years, said the area looked like a battlefield..." "...then the rioting started."
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#217 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts
[QUOTE="Brutal_Elitegs"]

This woman is awesome.

BiancaDK
sums it up

She is awesome. I think it says something very clearly when literally every shop in a street is looted other than Waterstones :(
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
[QUOTE="MissLibrarian"] She is awesome. I think it says something very clearly when literally every shop in a street is looted other than Waterstones :(

True, though I did notice that their stock of "Rioting for Dummies" was back-ordered.
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#219 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

[QUOTE="BiancaDK"][QUOTE="Brutal_Elitegs"]

This woman is awesome.

MissLibrarian

sums it up

She is awesome. I think it says something very clearly when literally every shop in a street is looted other than Waterstones :(

yes

waterstones are out of touch with their clientel

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Wasdie  Moderator

AnnoyedDragon

Why are they not using their military? The police are needed back at their homes.

Is the government really afraid of looking bad? Your city is buring and you're too afraid to do anything real about it.

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

Armed police in Manchester, glad I'm not heading into there tonight.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

[QUOTE="scorch-62"][QUOTE="Pirate700"] Same. Never heard this before.EliteM0nk3y

Probably because American media outlets are completely out of touch with the rest of the world.

I live in Canada. And I haven't been reading the news lately, so this is new to me.

I too do not understand why this has happened, and I live in Portugal. :|
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Some interesting Before/After picks from London HERE

Planet_Pluto
haha the first set looks bad before AND after, London is so boring...
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#224 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I just love how the citizens don't realize they're hurting their fellow citizens more than their government.
Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Planet_Pluto

I just love how the citizens don't realize they're hurting their fellow citizens more than their government. Ghost_702
I think most of them realize, they just don't care. For many, this is all just a great excuse to go looting and steal things.

Morrdecai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Morrdecai

Armed police in Manchester, glad I'm not heading into there tonight.

CBR600-RR
F***ing good.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

Why are they not using their military? The police are needed back at their homes.

Is the government really afraid of looking bad? Your city is buring and you're too afraid to do anything real about it.

Wasdie

People have been calling for military presence on the news, but as always; our government are ignoring public feedback.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

AnnoyedDragon

People have been calling for military presence on the news, but as always; our government are ignoring public feedback.

Sounds worse than America...

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Planet_Pluto

[QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

Sounds worse than America...

Eh, we have plenty of mobs/riots, but depending on what transpires and who is attacking who, like this one, it doesn't get much media attention.

PiscesChick93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#230 PiscesChick93
Member since 2008 • 10732 Posts

It's awful that this is going on. Spreading to Birmingham, Liverpool.... a business that was 144 years old was destroyed in the riots. Too many innocent people are having their lives destroyed by this riot. What on earth are they all going to gain from it, apart from a big mess? Nothing.

ROFLCOPTER603

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#231 ROFLCOPTER603
Member since 2010 • 2140 Posts

[QUOTE="Brutal_Elitegs"]

This woman is awesome.

BiancaDK

sums it up

"Get it real black people!"

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

So since I don't feel like reading through multiple pages to find it, why are they rioting to begin with?

ROFLCOPTER603

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#233 ROFLCOPTER603
Member since 2010 • 2140 Posts

So since I don't feel like reading through multiple pages to find it, why are they rioting to begin with?

airshocker

Some guy was shot and killed, so now they're going to remedy this by destroying people's lives and causing more violence.

Morrdecai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Morrdecai

airshocker
Unemployed, bored kids who want free stuff.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Wasdie  Moderator

airshocker

Started with a shooting of some sort. Some believe it was gang violence, others think it was the cops and a cover up followed. Anyways what started as some protests kind of went out of control. Now it's just young, mostly minority, youth just rioting for no reason.

Morrdecai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 Morrdecai

Now it's just young, mostly minority, youth just rioting for no reason.

Wasdie

nah man, they want their rice innit

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Planet_Pluto

airshocker

Bush's fault. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Started with a shooting of some sort. Some believe it was gang violence, others think it was the cops and a cover up followed. Anyways what started as some protests kind of went out of control. Now it's just young, mostly minority, youth just rioting for no reason.

Wasdie

How pathetic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Planet_Pluto

Not funny because somebody is actually going to say that and be completely serious. :P

Morrdecai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Morrdecai

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

airshocker

Not funny because somebody is actually going to say that and be completely serious. :P

Bush's fault.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

airshocker

Well let's see what else he has done...

• Invaded Iraq in 2003
  • Hurricane Katrina aftermath
  • Failing schools in the US
  • Exportation of jobs to China
  • Increase in illegal immigration
  • Widespread AIDS in Africa
  • Hurricane Katrina (the actual hurricane)
  • 9/11
  • The economic recession of 2008
  • Increasing obesity in America
  • The hanging of gays in Iran
  • Invaded Iraq in 1990
  • Russian invasion Georgia in 2008
  • Rising heat and gas prices
  • The many 2011 summer tornadoes in the middle of the country
  • The Norway terrorist attack
  • Delay of Half-Life 2 Episode 3
  • Cars 2

It's obvious everything bad that has happened in this world since 2000 is Bush's fault.

:P

Morrdecai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 Morrdecai

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

Wasdie

• Invaded Iraq in 2003
  • Hurricane Katrina aftermath
  • Failing schools in the US
  • Exportation of jobs to China
  • Increase in illegal immigration
  • Widespread AIDS in Africa
  • Hurricane Katrina (the actual hurricane)
  • 9/11
  • The economic recession of 2008
  • Increasing obesity in America
  • The hanging of gays in Iran
  • Russian invasion Georgia in 2008
  • Rising heat and gas prices
  • The many 2011 summer tornadoes in the middle of the country
  • The Norway terrorist attack
  • Delay of Half-Life 2 Episode 3
  • Cars 2

It's obvious everything bad that has happened in this world since 2000 is Bush's fault.

That bastard! :cry: I wonder what was going through the minds of voters when they voted a man into the White House who would be responsible for Cars 2!
Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 Planet_Pluto

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

Wasdie

• Long List

You forgot to mention the lack of a World Series title for the Texas Rangers.

I'd also like to add to the "It's Bush's Fault List" the fact that whenever I have my microwave oven and both air conditioners on, and my wife turns on her hair dryer, my apartment gets a partial black-out.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

Morrdecai

Bush's fault.

I Knew it! Its always those Americans causing trouble, British Citezenz... TO ARMS!

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

I Knew it! Its always those Americans causing trouble, British Citezenz... TO ARMS!

Birdy09
So you'll use your military against us, but not rioters in London? Actually - go ahead. Just target Crawford, Texas and leave us innocent blue states alone :P
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

Morrdecai

Bush's fault.

*gasp*

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#247 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

Looting is taking place...I think I need to plan a trip to London since there are a few things I want.MushroomWig

Are you kidding me? Aren't you the same person who posts a thread every day about police brutality? When the police don't do anything, you get crap like what's going on in London right now.

Morrdecai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Morrdecai

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"]Looting is taking place...I think I need to plan a trip to London since there are a few things I want.taj7575

Are you kidding me? Aren't you the same person who posts a thread every day about police brutality? When the police don't do anything, you get crap like what's going on in London right now.

I think she's just joking, though I didn't find it funny.
taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#249 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

[QUOTE="taj7575"]

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"]Looting is taking place...I think I need to plan a trip to London since there are a few things I want.Morrdecai

I think she's just joking, though I didn't find it funny.

Well considering his stance on..Many different things, I'd be more surprised if he was joking.

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

In a way you could see the latest rioting as opportunistic kids, but I think the problem runs a little deeper - these dissafected youths may well be a product of the austerity measures and the impact on social services - youth clubs being closed, youth employment programs shut down, etc. Frustration boils over and they riot. We breed these kids into a consumerist society and take away measures in which quench their materialistic thirst, so they loot. Why not. Probably more to come, and maybe over the other side of the Atlantic too if similar cost-cutting measures to social services are put in place...

poptart

I'm sorry but that isn't a justification for burning down and destroying other people's property. I live in Portugal where we have had really hard austerity measures put in place over the last year (much more so than in the UK, like salary cuts for all public employees and other things along those lines), and you don't see people rioting like this (yet...).