On balance, has the Catholic Church been a good thing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sigh-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sigh-_-
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts
Poll deliberately not included so that people actually contribute. My answer is no: the church has committed many crimes against humanity throughout history that are far too grave to be waved away with the inevitable references to Catholic charities.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
Western culture as we know it wouldn't exist were it not for the Catholic Church, crimes and all, so yes. I like existing.
sigh-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sigh-_-
Western culture as we know it wouldn't exist were it not for the Catholic Church, crimes and all, so yes. I like existing.Theokhoth
It would be different, certainly. Better, though? I'm not so sure. Western culture was also changed irrevocably by the slave trade; by imperalism; by the Nazis. That something has had a transformative effect on Western culture is, therefore, not an argument for its goodness.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

Lol. You can't be serious.

The Church has done so many good things it's unconscionable to even think someone believes it's evil. :lol:

Wow.

sigh-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sigh-_-

The Church has done so many good things it's unconscionable to even think someone believes it's evil. :lol:

Wow.

Snipes_2
Oh, you're a Catholic, presumably. Good things such as?
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Wow.

Snipes_2

Historically its neither a force of good or evil, its just a organization like any monarchy or government out there.. To some how suggest they are good is as ludicrious is claiming they are evil.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Honestly it's basically impossible to assess whether or not it's had a good impact on humanity or not given it is impossible to predict what would have happened without it.
sigh-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sigh-_-

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

Wow.

sSubZerOo

Historically its neither a force of good or evil, its just a organization like any monarchy or government out there.. To some how suggest they are good is as ludicrious is claiming they are evil.

Yay casuistry!
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Western culture as we know it wouldn't exist were it not for the Catholic Church, crimes and all, so yes. I like existing.sigh-_-
It would be different, certainly. Better, though? I'm not so sure. Western culture was also changed irrevocably by the slave trade; by imperalism; by the Nazis. That something has had a transformative effect on Western culture is, therefore, not an argument for its goodness.

True, however, as neither the slave trade nor Nazisim ever contributed any good whereas the Catholic church contributed significant good (sometimes in direct opposition to Nazism and the slave trade), and since the Catholic Church as a whole does not hold the power or the will to commit such crimes as others leading the organization has in past centuries, I think the Catholic church has, in its general unity of global communities under a single banner, contributed more good to humanity than evil, significant though its evil contributions may be. The Catholic Church as an organization should not be judged, I think, by actions committed by its leadership hundreds of years ago, as the Catholic Church has had various impacts on culture as it's had various leaders. Pope John Paul II, for instance, was a champion of human rights and religious unity; whereas Pope Paul IV (the Pope behind the Inquisitions) was, well, not. Should another man with the beliefs of Pope Paul IV become pope (very highly unlikely, but just in case), the Church no longer has the power or influence to orchestrate another Inquisition, at least not one that would be remotely successful in any part of the European or American war. The Church's leadership has also apologized for the actions of the organization (such as the trial of Galileo and the Inquisitions), which is really all it can do in this day and age, as time can't be rewound.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="sigh-_-"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Western culture as we know it wouldn't exist were it not for the Catholic Church, crimes and all, so yes. I like existing.Theokhoth

True, however, as neither the slave trade nor Nazisim ever contributed any good whereas the Catholic church contributed significant good (sometimes in direct opposition to Nazism and the slave trade), and since the Catholic Church as a whole does not hold the power or the will to commit such crimes as others leading the organization has in past centuries, I think the Catholic church has, in its general unity of global communities under a single banner, contributed more good to humanity than evil, significant though its evil contributions may be. The Catholic Church as an organization should not be judged, I think, by actions committed by its leadership hundreds of years ago, as the Catholic Church has had various impacts on culture as it's had various leaders. Pope John Paul II, for instance, was a champion of human rights and religious unity; whereas Pope Paul IV (the Pope behind the Inquisitions) was, well, not. Should another man with the beliefs of Pope Paul IV become pope (very highly unlikely, but just in case), the Church no longer has the power or influence to orchestrate another Inquisition, at least not one that would be remotely successful in any part of the European or American war. The Church's leadership has also apologized for the actions of the organization (such as the trial of Galileo and the Inquisitions), which is really all it can do in this day and age, as time can't be rewound.

Thats a tall order.. How bout the fact that the Catholic church/faith contributed to the genocide of the native population within the new world? Through both Port and Spanish forces.. Its absurd to some how claim they are good or bad, you can't put a price on that its a mix bag..

sigh-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sigh-_-
[QUOTE="sigh-_-"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Western culture as we know it wouldn't exist were it not for the Catholic Church, crimes and all, so yes. I like existing.Theokhoth

Firstly, I was careful to state 'on balance' and thus while the church has contributed some good, the evil it has contributed must also be taken into account, and secondly, I was equally careful to word the topic's title in the past tense and thus its innumerable crimes from ages gone by must be taken into account too. So while I appreciate what you're saying, I think you're answering a different question to the one I posed.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

Wow.

sigh-_-

Mother Theresa for starters. All the money given to the Poor, Charities, setting a moral code etc..

And here's a link for you to read.

http://worldhaveyoursay.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/is-the-catholic-church-a-force-for-good-in-the-world/

Good book to read with a summary:

http://www.regnery.com/books/howcatholic.html

Schools for Poor Children to go to. Nursing homes, sending aid to foreign countries in need. Missionaries and all the work they have done.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="sigh-_-"]It would be different, certainly. Better, though? I'm not so sure. Western culture was also changed irrevocably by the slave trade; by imperalism; by the Nazis. That something has had a transformative effect on Western culture is, therefore, not an argument for its goodness.sSubZerOo

Thats a tall order.. How bout the fact that the Catholic church/faith contributed to the genocide of the native population within the new world? Through both Port and Spanish forces.. Its absurd to some how claim they are good or bad, you can't put a price on that its a mix bag..

Catholicism never did that actually to my knowledge. If you could provide a link where I could read further on this?
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I think the evils of the crusades and authoritarian laws are worse than the total of good things. I fail to see how this discussion can promote anything relevant today though, and is only meant to cause anger and arguments. The Catholic church now is doing more good than bad, in my opinion, and that is all that they should be held accountable for.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="sigh-_-"]It would be different, certainly. Better, though? I'm not so sure. Western culture was also changed irrevocably by the slave trade; by imperalism; by the Nazis. That something has had a transformative effect on Western culture is, therefore, not an argument for its goodness.sigh-_-

Firstly, I was careful to state 'on balance' and thus while the church has contributed some good, the evil it has contributed must also be taken into account, and secondly, I was equally careful to word the topic's title in the past tense and thus its innumerable crimes from ages gone by must be taken into account too. So while I appreciate what you're saying, I think you're answering a different question to the one I posed.

I've referred to its past evils. Among its past goods are: The translation of Greek texts, such as that of Plato, into then-modern languages; The creation of countless libraries and universities; The commercial transport of goods and people across Europe, The Americas and west Asia; And others. Yes, the Catholic Church has done bad stuff, but as I said, the contributions of the church have changed as much as its leadership; the Pope before Paul IV (Marcellus II) would have been extremely opposed to the idea of the Inquisitions and even tried to reform the inner workings of the Catholic Church to a more liberal ideal (sadly, he was only Pope for 22 days before his death). There've been good periods and bad periods. The bad periods get more history because they've had a more significant impact on history.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
Catholic Church is basically responsible for Western society so it has been a great thing.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
deactivated-5e7f221e304c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
Member since 2004 • 14645 Posts
Throughout history? It's hard to tell. Now? No.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Snipes_2
I think the evils of the crusades and authoritarian laws are worse than the total of good things. I fail to see how this discussion can promote anything relevant today though, and is only meant to cause anger and arguments. The Catholic church now is doing more good than bad, in my opinion, and that is all that they should be held accountable for.guynamedbilly
The crusades weren't even started by Christians. They were trying to reclaim what was the "Holy Land" from Muslims who had previously taken it over. It also wasn't sanctioned by the Pope. What Authoritarian laws?
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

What's up with all these lowbie posters making religion threads? Either way the Catholic Church has done bad and good so whatever.

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
They saved Western Civilization, so I gotta give them props.
sigh-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sigh-_-
Snipes_2
As it happens, watching Hitchens and Fry's crushing victory in that debate was what inspired me to create this topic. Funny, by the way, that you mention Mother Theresa, the twisted, hateful woman who said of suffering 'it is the most beautiful gift for a person that he can participate in the sufferings of Christ', and who helped to participate in the Catholic church-caused suffering of millions through arguing in favour of its prohibition on birth control. Funny also that you mention 'setting a moral code' when in fact the Church, despite its hypocritical condemnation of 'moral relativism', is quite happy to change its doctrines when they become utterly disgusting as opposed to merely unpleasant, perhaps most notably in its 1964 admission that the Jews weren't collectively responsible for deicide after all.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]sigh-_-
As it happens, watching Hitchens and Fry's crushing victory in that debate was what inspired me to create this topic. Funny, by the way, that you mention Mother Theresa, the twisted, hateful woman who said of suffering 'the most beautiful gift for a person that he can participate in the sufferings of Christ', and who helped to participate in the Catholic church-caused suffering of millions through arguing in favour of its prohibition on birth control. Funny also that you mention 'setting a moral code' when in fact the Church, despite its hypocritical condemnation of 'moral relativism', is quite happy to change its doctrines when they become utterly disgusting as opposed to merely unpleasant, perhaps most notably in its 1964 admission that the Jews weren't collectively responsible for deicide after all.

Lol, They had no victory at all. They were obliterated in that argument :? Mother Theresa was not twisted or hateful, do you have any links for these unsubstantiated claims? Preferably a reputable source?
sigh-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sigh-_-
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]I think the evils of the crusades and authoritarian laws are worse than the total of good things. I fail to see how this discussion can promote anything relevant today though, and is only meant to cause anger and arguments. The Catholic church now is doing more good than bad, in my opinion, and that is all that they should be held accountable for.Snipes_2
The crusades weren't even started by Christians. They were trying to reclaim what was the "Holy Land" from Muslims who had previously taken it over. It also wasn't sanctioned by the Pope. What Authoritarian laws?

:? You deny that Pope Urban II was responsible for launching the First Crusade?
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wstfld

The crusades weren't even started by Christians. They were trying to reclaim what was the "Holy Land" from Muslims who had previously taken it over. It also wasn't sanctioned by the Pope. Snipes_2

Wrong.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]sigh-_-
As it happens, watching Hitchens and Fry's crushing victory in that debate was what inspired me to create this topic. Funny, by the way, that you mention Mother Theresa, the twisted, hateful woman who said of suffering 'it is the most beautiful gift for a person that he can participate in the sufferings of Christ', and who helped to participate in the Catholic church-caused suffering of millions through arguing in favour of its prohibition on birth control. Funny also that you mention 'setting a moral code' when in fact the Church, despite its hypocritical condemnation of 'moral relativism', is quite happy to change its doctrines when they become utterly disgusting as opposed to merely unpleasant, perhaps most notably in its 1964 admission that the Jews weren't collectively responsible for deicide after all.

If you're talking about collective good over collective evil then I'd hardly call Mother Theresa a "twisted, hateful woman" just because she viewed suffering as a means to get closer to God (she never went out and tortured people, saying "pray more!").
sigh-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sigh-_-
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] Lol, They had no victory at all. They were obliterated in that argument :? Mother Theresa was not twisted or hateful, do you have any links for these unsubstantiated claims? Preferably a reputable source?

:lol: Have you even watched the debate?
Warship_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Warship_19
Member since 2010 • 1565 Posts

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

Wow.

sigh-_-

I'm protestant. And The Vatican has always been good for the world imo. I assume your an Atheist no?

sigh-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sigh-_-
[QUOTE="sigh-_-"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"]Theokhoth

If you're talking about collective good over collective evil then I'd hardly call Mother Theresa a "twisted, hateful woman" just because she viewed suffering as a means to get closer to God (she never went out and tortured people, saying "pray more!").

Pardon me, but I can find no kinder words to describe someone with a positive view of such an obviously bad thing as suffering.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]The crusades weren't even started by Christians. They were trying to reclaim what was the "Holy Land" from Muslims who had previously taken it over. It also wasn't sanctioned by the Pope. wstfld

Wrong.

Yeah, that's pretty far out there, even for Snipes. Urban II started the First Crusade, going as far as to forgive the sins of the Crusaders in advance (pretty much allowing them to do whatever they wanted).
Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

as an atheist I say this:

The Catholic Church is one of the most important organizations in the western world and without it the western way of life as we know it wouldn't exist, it preaty much saved the western world on more than one ocassion through history from internal and external problems

who keeps all the writings from the roman empire and greece, translated and studied them? The catholic church

who gave Charles Martel the founding to be able to raise and train his army with which he defeated the muslim invaders at tours? the church

who organized the holy league that united otherwise rival European factions to stand together against ottoman invaders on more than one ocasion? the catholic church

and that is just a small part without going into stuff like the influence over art, architecture, philosophy, education etc etc

without the catholic church you might aswel throw the whole of europe into the trash bin

yes it's also responsible for quite a lot of bad stuff, but on balance I am glad it exist

oh and the Crusades get a bad rep, mostly due to western guilt,, they were a reaction to muslim agression and weren't any more "evil" than any other big military campaigns in that time

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="sigh-_-"]As it happens, watching Hitchens and Fry's crushing victory in that debate was what inspired me to create this topic. Funny, by the way, that you mention Mother Theresa, the twisted, hateful woman who said of suffering 'it is the most beautiful gift for a person that he can participate in the sufferings of Christ', and who helped to participate in the Catholic church-caused suffering of millions through arguing in favour of its prohibition on birth control. Funny also that you mention 'setting a moral code' when in fact the Church, despite its hypocritical condemnation of 'moral relativism', is quite happy to change its doctrines when they become utterly disgusting as opposed to merely unpleasant, perhaps most notably in its 1964 admission that the Jews weren't collectively responsible for deicide after all.sigh-_-

Pardon me, but I can find no kinder words to describe someone with a positive view of such an obviously bad thing as suffering.

*Shrug* People who never suffer are people who never grow. She herself suffered a lot in her life.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I like how most people will defend the issue driven by the notion that the church isnt directly responsible for negative things and that its motives behind it that used it that lead to x, y and z bad things, while they dont have the consistency to maintain the same rationale for the good stuff the catholic church did.

Anyway, personally I dont know much about the Catholic church so I cant say.

sigh-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sigh-_-
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="sigh-_-"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"] True, however, as neither the slave trade nor Nazisim ever contributed any good whereas the Catholic church contributed significant good (sometimes in direct opposition to Nazism and the slave trade), and since the Catholic Church as a whole does not hold the power or the will to commit such crimes as others leading the organization has in past centuries, I think the Catholic church has, in its general unity of global communities under a single banner, contributed more good to humanity than evil, significant though its evil contributions may be. The Catholic Church as an organization should not be judged, I think, by actions committed by its leadership hundreds of years ago, as the Catholic Church has had various impacts on culture as it's had various leaders. Pope John Paul II, for instance, was a champion of human rights and religious unity; whereas Pope Paul IV (the Pope behind the Inquisitions) was, well, not. Should another man with the beliefs of Pope Paul IV become pope (very highly unlikely, but just in case), the Church no longer has the power or influence to orchestrate another Inquisition, at least not one that would be remotely successful in any part of the European or American war. The Church's leadership has also apologized for the actions of the organization (such as the trial of Galileo and the Inquisitions), which is really all it can do in this day and age, as time can't be rewound.

I've referred to its past evils. Among its past goods are: The translation of Greek texts, such as that of Plato, into then-modern languages; The creation of countless libraries and universities; The commercial transport of goods and people across Europe, The Americas and west Asia; And others. Yes, the Catholic Church has done bad stuff, but as I said, the contributions of the church have changed as much as its leadership; the Pope before Paul IV (Marcellus II) would have been extremely opposed to the idea of the Inquisitions and even tried to reform the inner workings of the Catholic Church to a more liberal ideal (sadly, he was only Pope for 22 days before his death). There've been good periods and bad periods. The bad periods get more history because they've had a more significant impact on history.

I have to say, bringing up the Catholic Church's contributions to literature probably isn't a good idea given their nasty habit of banning people from reading the Bible in their native language. The Church systematically restricted literature to an elite as a way of enforcing their theology through depriving laypeople of any means of challenging it.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wstfld
[QUOTE="wstfld"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]The crusades weren't even started by Christians. They were trying to reclaim what was the "Holy Land" from Muslims who had previously taken it over. It also wasn't sanctioned by the Pope. Theokhoth

Wrong.

Yeah, that's pretty far out there, even for Snipes. Urban II started the First Crusade, going as far as to forgive the sins of the Crusaders in advance (pretty much allowing them to do whatever they wanted).

I try not to follow snipes off on tangent arguments anymore, but its a little ridiculous to claim that.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="sigh-_-"]Firstly, I was careful to state 'on balance' and thus while the church has contributed some good, the evil it has contributed must also be taken into account, and secondly, I was equally careful to word the topic's title in the past tense and thus its innumerable crimes from ages gone by must be taken into account too. So while I appreciate what you're saying, I think you're answering a different question to the one I posed.sigh-_-

I have to say, bringing up the Catholic Church's contributions to literature probably isn't a good idea given their nasty habit of banning people from reading the Bible in their native language. The Church systematically restricted literature to an elite as a way of enforcing their theology through depriving laypeople of any means of challenging it.

And it mostly helped to save only the texts that helped in the defense of its doctrines, generally.

So it wasnt a purely benevolent act of conserving precious literature.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="sigh-_-"]Firstly, I was careful to state 'on balance' and thus while the church has contributed some good, the evil it has contributed must also be taken into account, and secondly, I was equally careful to word the topic's title in the past tense and thus its innumerable crimes from ages gone by must be taken into account too. So while I appreciate what you're saying, I think you're answering a different question to the one I posed.sigh-_-

You're right, and it was this very issue that led to the founding of the Anglican Church, the denomination of which I'm part; however, their contribution to the realm of literature was, even with these setbacks, unparalleled until the printing press was invented. Had they not done this, we very well may not have had ANY access to much of the Greek philosophy that has shaped the entire world.

Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

As a whole, considering its entire history, NO. The catholic church killed many people in wars like the crusades, actively fought the advancement of science (who doesn't know about the Galileu Galilei issue?, also, the dark ages), and prosecuted many people on completely arbitrary reasons like when accusing people of being "witches" and reading "unapproved" books. Back in the day, the Catholic Church was a MONSTER and more akin to a Satanic cult than anything else.

Nowadays, fortunately, it has changed *considerably*, and even though I may or may not believe in the same things, I recognize the Catholic Church has done a lot of good things lately, mainly in the form of charities.

But it's still not perfect by any means. With all the pedophilia running around, the pope protecting said pedophiles, etc etc.

Stephen Fry explained quite well what's wrong with the Catholic Church nowadays: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEhtOhwL8xk

sigh-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sigh-_-
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="sigh-_-"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"] If you're talking about collective good over collective evil then I'd hardly call Mother Theresa a "twisted, hateful woman" just because she viewed suffering as a means to get closer to God (she never went out and tortured people, saying "pray more!").

*Shrug* People who never suffer are people who never grow. She herself suffered a lot in her life.

I can understand a view of suffering as necessary evil, sure - but when she comes out with quotes such as "I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people", it's very, very clear that she was no friend of the poor and the suffering and the proletariat in general, wasting charitable contributions on building over a hundred convents, for example, when thousands of lives could have been saved.
-Red-Cell-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -Red-Cell-
Member since 2007 • 255 Posts

No, any anti-reason organization is evil and destructive. Evil as a means, cannot lead to a good end.

Pic related, The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]The crusades weren't even started by Christians. They were trying to reclaim what was the "Holy Land" from Muslims who had previously taken it over. It also wasn't sanctioned by the Pope. wstfld

Wrong.

How so?
sigh-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sigh-_-

[QUOTE="sigh-_-"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"] I've referred to its past evils. Among its past goods are: The translation of Greek texts, such as that of Plato, into then-modern languages; The creation of countless libraries and universities; The commercial transport of goods and people across Europe, The Americas and west Asia; And others. Yes, the Catholic Church has done bad stuff, but as I said, the contributions of the church have changed as much as its leadership; the Pope before Paul IV (Marcellus II) would have been extremely opposed to the idea of the Inquisitions and even tried to reform the inner workings of the Catholic Church to a more liberal ideal (sadly, he was only Pope for 22 days before his death). There've been good periods and bad periods. The bad periods get more history because they've had a more significant impact on history.Theokhoth

You're right, and it was this very issue that led to the founding of the Anglican Church, the denomination of which I'm part; however, their contribution to the realm of literature was, even with these setbacks, unparalleled until the printing press was invented. Had they not done this, we very well may not have had ANY access to much of the Greek philosophy that has shaped the entire world.

I doubt that; who's to say that they wouldn't have been translated and preserved through some other means? Plus, the church's campaigns of book-burning against heretics in attempts to totally wipe dissenting beliefs from history surely negates any benefits it may have made to literature.
krazy-blazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 krazy-blazer
Member since 2009 • 1759 Posts
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Western culture as we know it wouldn't exist were it not for the Catholic Church, crimes and all, so yes. I like existing.sigh-_-

Imperialism is a bad thing sure, but it DID contribute to the rise of Europe.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="wstfld"] [QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="wstfld"]

Wrong.

I provided links with quotes in a Separate Thread. What happened in response to his speech, was not his intent.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/history/world/wh0018.html

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]I think the evils of the crusades and authoritarian laws are worse than the total of good things. I fail to see how this discussion can promote anything relevant today though, and is only meant to cause anger and arguments. The Catholic church now is doing more good than bad, in my opinion, and that is all that they should be held accountable for.Snipes_2

I don't even know where you got that idea about the crusades so I can't reply to that.

As for laws, surely you've heard of the execution of Joan of Arc. This was because of the church's influence on laws regarding heresy. Included in this were the Medievel and Spanish Inquisitions.

Good-Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Good-Apollo
Member since 2007 • 751 Posts
The catholic church has been responsible for so much bad in this world that I can't believe people even bother to defend it.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="sigh-_-"]I have to say, bringing up the Catholic Church's contributions to literature probably isn't a good idea given their nasty habit of banning people from reading the Bible in their native language. The Church systematically restricted literature to an elite as a way of enforcing their theology through depriving laypeople of any means of challenging it.sigh-_-

I doubt that; who's to say that they wouldn't have been translated and preserved through some other means? Plus, the church's campaigns of book-burning against heretics in attempts to totally wipe dissenting beliefs from history surely negates any benefits it may have made to literature.

I think it was Voltaire who said that Christianity is a religion created by Jesus and Plato; that is, the reason why these works were translated and reproduced was because they heavily influenced Christian theology (Plato's theory on the natures of love, Aristotle's virtue ethics, etc.), and as such they were considered "acceptable" and were widespread. The church also made many book-burnings, but I'm unaware of any beliefs that were actually wiped out and, in many cases (such as the Protestant Revolution), some beliefs viewed this as a sign of encouragement to continue their beliefs underground, which enhanced their popularity with an ever-growing dissatisfied status quo. This topic's fun, but I gotta go to school at 6:30 AM tomorrow, so. . .goodnight. :P
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]I think the evils of the crusades and authoritarian laws are worse than the total of good things. I fail to see how this discussion can promote anything relevant today though, and is only meant to cause anger and arguments. The Catholic church now is doing more good than bad, in my opinion, and that is all that they should be held accountable for.guynamedbilly

I don't even know where you got that idea about the crusades so I can't reply to that.

As for laws, surely you've heard of the execution of Joan of Arc. This was because of the church's influence on laws regarding heresy. Included in this were the Medievel and Spanish Inquisitions.

Indeed; however, Joan of Arc herself was Catholic and based her actions upon visions of St. Michael, so had the Catholic Church not existed, Joan of Arc (who is now canonized as a saint) would not have freed the French, as she would never have had any Catholic-based visions or hallucinations or whatever it was that inspired her at the age of nineteen.

Now I'm really going to bed; St. Joan's just one of my favorite historical figures. :P

sigh-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sigh-_-
[QUOTE="sigh-_-"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] Lol, They had no victory at all. They were obliterated in that argument :? Mother Theresa was not twisted or hateful, do you have any links for these unsubstantiated claims? Preferably a reputable source?

:lol: Have you even watched the debate?

I'll take that gaping void of silence as a no. It's on youtube, by the way, so you have no excuse for being so lazy and dishonest - I daresay having seen two of the most eloquent speakers out there utterly flatten the opposition and convince nearly 800 audience members to their side you'll feel a little silly for claiming that they were 'obliterated'.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="wstfld"]

The crusades weren't even started by Christians. They were trying to reclaim what was the "Holy Land" from Muslims who had previously taken it over. It also wasn't sanctioned by the Pope. Snipes_2

Wrong.

He is right about the fact that the Muslim conquests of the preceeding centuries played a large role in prompting the Crusades, however; at least the first one.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]I think the evils of the crusades and authoritarian laws are worse than the total of good things. I fail to see how this discussion can promote anything relevant today though, and is only meant to cause anger and arguments. The Catholic church now is doing more good than bad, in my opinion, and that is all that they should be held accountable for.guynamedbilly

Read the link I provided on the First crusade. I also posted a Link on this: "Before the 12th century, the Roman Catholic Church already suppressed what it saw as heresy, usually through a system of ecclesiastical proscription or imprisonment, but usually without using torture[2] and seldom resorting to executions.[3] Such punishments had many ecclesiastical opponents, although some non-secular countries[which?] punished heresy with the death penalty.[4][5]""Because of its objective - combating heresy - the Inquisition had jurisdiction only over baptized members of the Church"