Ok....so Stephen Hawking says that god is not the creator of the universe....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gongytron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gongytron
Member since 2004 • 463 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100902/lf_nm_life/us_britain_hawking

Ya so basically he states that "God did not create the universe and the "Big Bang" was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics

What u guys think?

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

Little late my friend. Already a topic on this. And honestly, it doesn't surprise me that another scientist is an atheist.... Teh shock!!

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
I think Steven Hawking knows more about the Universe than your average religious nut, therefore I'm more inclined to believe him.
Link334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Link334
Member since 2007 • 6082 Posts
Uh. Kay. I'm more surprised by a level 25 with only 455 posts.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

Little late my friend. Already a topic on this. And honestly, it doesn't surprise me that another scientist is an atheist.... Teh shock!!

MystikFollower
I agree. Not surprising he claims this.
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts

MystikFollower
He said God didn't create the universe... how is that the same as believing God does not exist? Maybe he just thinks God is lazy and hired a contractor to create the universe.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

The motto of the most powerful nation in the world is IN GOD WE TRUST, not IN SCIENTIST WE TRUST or in PHYSICS WE TRUST. That should say enough about the matter.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

The motto of the most powerful nation in the world is IN GOD WE TRUST, not IN SCIENTIST WE TRUST or in PHYSICS WE TRUST. That should say enough about the matter.

Espada12
That's... leaves me speechless...
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Snipes_2
I think Steven Hawking knows more about the Universe than your average religious nut, therefore I'm more inclined to believe him.PernicioEnigma
Not sure if serious....
yabbicoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 yabbicoke
Member since 2007 • 4069 Posts
How is this newsworthy or relevant to anything? Most people who follow Hawking's work probably already held that belief anyway...
MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MystikFollower

[QUOTE="MystikFollower"]

Dark__Link

He said God didn't create the universe... how is that the same as believing God does not exist? Maybe he just thinks God is lazy and hired a contractor to create the universe.

:lol: God's a stoner couch potato... No wonder the world's such a mess :P.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

Doesn't that sort of contradict itself? If there is a god, wouldn't the laws of physics be a consequence of god?

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

So what, Stephen hawking says a lot of things. Technically he does.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

Espada12
That the most powerful nation in the world hired incompetent marketers?
blurguy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blurguy6
Member since 2010 • 699 Posts

I wonder where those laws of physics came from..........

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

markop2003

You wish, the trust of Americans was placed in god and so he made American the most powerful nation in the world.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts
[QUOTE="PernicioEnigma"]I think Steven Hawking knows more about the Universe than your average religious nut, therefore I'm more inclined to believe him.Snipes_2
Not sure if serious....

what about that didn't seem serious?
PerfectCircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PerfectCircles
Member since 2009 • 2359 Posts

Espada12
:lol: oh wow
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 markop2003

Doesn't that sort of contradict itself? If there is a god, wouldn't the laws of physics be a consequence of god?

magnax1
Lol wut? The laws of physics could be a consequence of god (obviously not god in the abrhameic sense but more of a random being who creates stuff in his spare time) but that does not mean that they "would be". There is no reason why the laws of physics have to be created by a god.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 magnax1

[QUOTE="markop2003"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

You wish, the trust of Americans was placed in god and so he made American the most powerful nation in the world.

Just like Rome placed its trust in god more then Israel way back when?

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Espada12
Not really. Anyway, I thought it was pretty well-established that Hawking was non-religious. How is this shocking?
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 markop2003

[QUOTE="markop2003"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

Oh no, you're thinking of guns. I get them mixed up too sometimes, they look so darn similar. :)
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="markop2003"] That the most powerful nation in the world hired incompetent marketers?magnax1

And where are the romans today? They have no empire while Israel keeps expanding :lol:

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="PernicioEnigma"]I think Steven Hawking knows more about the Universe than your average religious nut, therefore I'm more inclined to believe him.mfp16
Not sure if serious....

what about that didn't seem serious?

"Average Religious Nut" maybe?
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
[QUOTE="MystikFollower"]

Dark__Link

That actually makes more sense than what some people claim. :lol:
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
I think I never much cared what Hawking had to say about God.
HerrJosefK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HerrJosefK
Member since 2009 • 444 Posts
Stephen Hawking is the cruelest joke that God ever played on himself.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

markop2003

Lol wut? The laws of physics could be a consequence of god (obviously not god in the abrhameic sense but more of a random being who creates stuff in his spare time) but that does not mean that they "would be". There is no reason why the laws of physics have to be created by a god.

I didn't say that, but hes just saying that because there are laws of physics, there is no God. Which is a really stupid argument.

MobilechicaneX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MobilechicaneX
Member since 2009 • 2863 Posts

How is this newsworthy or relevant to anything? Most people who follow Hawking's work probably already held that belief anyway... yabbicoke

Since Hawkings and his team WERE able to prove that something CAN be formed from nothing, seeing as how theists usally use "somethingCAN'T come from nothing" as evidence of a higher being i'd say it's pretty relevant.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Espada12

Oh no, you're thinking of guns. I get them mixed up too sometimes, they look so darn similar. :)markop2003

Maybe one day you will see, now is obviously not the time for you :)

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

And where are the romans today? They have no empire while Israel keeps expanding :lol:

:lol:

Somebody knows their history.

Link334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Link334
[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="MystikFollower"]

Lonelynight

That actually makes more sense than what some people claim. :lol:

Yeah, this thread is going places I can feel it :P Also I like the Soo Young sig better :)
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Espada12

:lol:

Somebody knows their history.

magnax1

I sure do :)

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MystikFollower

[QUOTE="markop2003"][QUOTE="magnax1"]

magnax1

I didn't say that, but hes just saying that because there are laws of physics, there is no God. Which is a really stupid argument.

Actually he's saying the Universe could have spontaneously created itself from the Laws of Physics without the need of a God. Still one must ask, where exactly did those laws come from, but he doesn't technically say it means there's no God. He just says, it is possible for the Universe to have created itself rather than have been created.

Link334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Link334

[QUOTE="markop2003"]

Oh no, you're thinking of guns. I get them mixed up too sometimes, they look so darn similar. :)Espada12

You're not a fun troll :(
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="markop2003"] Lol wut? The laws of physics could be a consequence of god (obviously not god in the abrhameic sense but more of a random being who creates stuff in his spare time) but that does not mean that they "would be". There is no reason why the laws of physics have to be created by a god.MystikFollower

Actually he's saying the Universe could have spontaneously created itself from the Laws of Physics without the need of a God. Still one must ask, where exactly did those laws come from, but he doesn't technically say it means there's no God. He just says, it is possible for the Universe to have created itself rather than have been created.

So he just said what's self explanatory? Actually all this stuff is self explanatory. This is a really stupid thread, with a really stupid statement. Then again all these religious threads are stupid/self explanatory.

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MystikFollower

[QUOTE="MystikFollower"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

magnax1

So he just said what's self explanatory? Actually all this stuff is self explanatory. This is a really stupid thread, with a really stupid statement. Then again all these religious threads are stupid/self explanatory.

Then don't post in them :|. Simple.

Avatar image for deactivated-61d91d42c39df
deactivated-61d91d42c39df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#38 deactivated-61d91d42c39df
Member since 2002 • 2741 Posts

I don't even understand why this is news, it's not like he's the first scientist to ever claim this..

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Of course there is always the possibility that God created the universe through the big bang... just a thought.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 markop2003

[QUOTE="markop2003"]

Oh no, you're thinking of guns. I get them mixed up too sometimes, they look so darn similar. :)Espada12

20/20 vision here. TBH it would be hard to respond to posts if i couldn't see ;)
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Espada12

I don't even understand why this is news, it's not like he's the first scientist to ever claim this..

Deano

Because atheist feel the need to cling onto any statements made denouncing God.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="MystikFollower"]

MystikFollower

Its to late. :| Simple

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MystikFollower

[QUOTE="MystikFollower"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

magnax1

Self control is easy, just avoid that submit button :P. I'm sure there's a useless Justin Beiber thread that could use someone pointing out it's uselessness :D.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 markop2003

Deano
I think it's simply because Hawking is a scientist that the mainstream recognize.... even if they have no idea what he's done
Mousetaches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mousetaches
Member since 2009 • 1293 Posts

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

Lolling all over the place. In a box, with a fox, etc.
Avatar image for deactivated-61d91d42c39df
deactivated-61d91d42c39df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#46 deactivated-61d91d42c39df
Member since 2002 • 2741 Posts

I think it's simply because Hawking is a scientist that the mainstream recognize.... even if they have no idea what he's donemarkop2003

has he ever had any other position on the creation of the universe.?

maybe next week he'll come out and claim the earth is round and we'll be amazed.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="MystikFollower"]

MystikFollower

Self control is easy, just avoid that submit button :P. I'm sure there's a useless Justin Beiber thread that could use someone pointing out it's uselessness :D.

But explaining its self explanatory nature isn't as fun in Bieber threads. Especially since there aren't as many crazy people on both sides of the argument in bieber threads that like to start stupid arguments.

whisker1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 whisker1020
Member since 2010 • 192 Posts

Stephen Hawking is right

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

Most scientists are atheists, this isn't exactly surprising.

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MystikFollower

[QUOTE="MystikFollower"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

magnax1

But explaining its self explanatory nature isn't as fun in Bieber threads. Especially since there aren't as many crazy people on both sides of the argument in bieber threads that like to start stupid arguments.

Is that your goal here? To start a stupid argument? Cause I'll just go back to the religious thread that actually had an interesting discussion going on, not sure if it still is, but it was getting really good earlier. They aren't all redundant circle jerks between atheists and theists.