Of these 4 choices, which is JJ Abrams' best Star Wars movie?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Poll Of these 4 choices, which is JJ Abrams' best Star Wars movie? (17 votes)

Star Trek: The New Class 24%
Into Darkness 24%
The Force Awakens 35%
Rise of Skywalker 18%

Yeah, I said four. Those first two shure as shit ain't Star Trek movies. I guess I want to stir up some controversy, but don't feel like talking console wars or politics. So what do you all think? Of Abrams modern takes on classic sci fi/fantasy franchises, which do you think is best (or least bad)?

I'm actually not hating here, I think these all range from good (ST, TFA) to okay (ID, RoS). While I have issues with the way these movies handle their respective properties, they are fast paced popcorn flicks with some spectacular set-pieces. I think the best overall is Star Trek The New Class, with TFA a close second.

• 
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Never heard of New Class. I hated the new Star Wars trilogy. Gotta go with Into Darkness.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7244 Posts

@SOedipus: I refer to the first Star Trek reboot from 2009 as "The New Class". It's just a bad joke.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

Probably the 2009 one. Its pretty safe.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

The Force Awakens is a damn good Star Wars film, I'll pick that. Rian Johnson then shit over everything that movie was setting up and killed any chance for the trilogy.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58847 Posts

I don't like any of his movies that movie.

Probably Star Trek: 2009 I guess. it's dumb Trek, but at least was kind of invested in the characters and what's going on. And to be fair, some of the older Star Trek movies are way worse.

Can't say the same for any of the other movies.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@judaspete said:

@SOedipus: I refer to the first Star Trek reboot from 2009 as "The New Class". It's just a bad joke.

Aww, I thought something good came out. Discovery blew and I saw enough of Picard on YouTube to know that I'd hate that. 2009 film was ok, better than Into Darkness.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

rise of skywalker.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 uninspiredcup

@SOedipus: Could just summarize all these modern Trek movies as "man disgruntled with Starfleet has super weapon", same shit over and over.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

If you had to pick between the old star wars movies or old star trek movies what would you choose?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 judaspete

@robbie23 said:

If you had to pick between the old star wars movies or old star trek movies what would you choose?

Overall, probably OT Star Wars. But I think Star Trek 2, 6, and First Contact are better than any Star Wars movie.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 judaspete
@uninspiredcup said:

@SOedipus: Could just summarize all these modern Trek movies as "man disgruntled with Starfleet has super weapon", same shit over and over.

Yeah, they all feel like attempted Wrath of Khan remakes. Even, you know, the ones that don't actually have Khan.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup

@judaspete: Pretty much. Cynical and a problem J. J. Abrams has where it's totally surface level "people will recognize thing".

And it works, unfortunately, he brings in the bread.

Ironically mimicking Wrath of Khan is what killed Star Trek with Nemesis.

The sad thing about Nemesis, thematically, all it's ideas are actually quite good.

Picard seeing a younger version himself, trying to guide him away from his accepted doomed fate. Data, now actually lecturing Picard on the nature of humanity, performing the ultimate sacrifice for friends doing the most admirable of human qualities, Picards final scene ending with a blank slate of a newly formed individual, echoing Data, leaving with him optimism that was alien to Shinzon.

But, it's all executed badly. All these TNG movies suck, pretty much.

Insurrection as well, Starfleet bending it rules in desperation with Dominion War, Picard and co ardently sticking to their principles to save a small inconsequential people in the grand tapestry.

This should be good, but it's shite.

Whoever wrote this, did they ever actually watch TNG? What is this shit?

Loading Video...

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

The Force Awakens. Even though it treads on familiar ground, there are some great ideas underneath that were never fully realized by the sequels.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By judaspete

@uninspiredcup: I agree about Nemesis, although JJ's movies turned me around to it a bit. On release I thought it was tryharding to be an action movie, and it was, but it still has some of the old TNG charm in there. Even if not everyrhing works.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I liked Force Awakens personally. It followed the template of A New Hope closely, which is what people claimed they wanted after the terrible sequel trilogy. After release, people complained that it was too similar, which is why the next two went in an entirely different direction, but the Force Awakens gave me a solid new chapter in Star Wars without the slapstick humor and stupid antics the prequels had.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

Force Awakens was pretty good, but I thought 2009 Star Trek was better. Voted Into the Darkness by mistake as I didn't get the reference.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 uninspiredcup

@rmiller365 said:

I liked Force Awakens personally. It followed the template of A New Hope closely, which is what people claimed they wanted after the terrible sequel trilogy. After release, people complained that it was too similar, which is why the next two went in an entirely different direction, but the Force Awakens gave me a solid new chapter in Star Wars without the slapstick humor and stupid antics the prequels had.

Prequel.

They had no idea what they doing, making it up as they went along. Something the The Prequels do not suffer from.

Loading Video...

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4362 Posts

@vfighter said:

The Force Awakens is a damn good Star Wars film, I'll pick that. Rian Johnson then shit over everything that movie was setting up and killed any chance for the trilogy.

what strange is normal his movies where good. idk wth happen when he made the sw movie. i really dont.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I donno man, I'd say the prequels suffer from, well, everything. From terrible acting, bad and overused CGI, to hated plot points like medichlorins. Even the special features from the movies show the crew looking at Lucas like he's and idiot. Red Letter Media has videos where they break down pretty much every scene and it's hilariously bad.

https://youtu.be/FxKtZmQgxrI

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By uninspiredcup

@rmiller365 said:

@uninspiredcup: I donno man, I'd say the prequels suffer from, well, everything. From terrible acting, bad and overused CGI, to hated plot points like medichlorins. Even the special features from the movies show the crew looking at Lucas like he's and idiot. Red Letter Media has videos where they break down pretty much every scene and it's hilariously bad.

https://youtu.be/FxKtZmQgxrI

Seen these, they are mainly responsible for the hate the Prequels get and making George Lucas have a reputation as a clown. I use to latch onto them as fact, as with many edgy cynical gimmick youtube vids, but through the years watching other vids, such as above, I appreciate the Prequels far more while my respect for them has diminished.

Like, for example, why exactly are Medichlorins bad? The only time they are used in the movie is to find Anakin, to establish he is the chosen one. Which is a plot-point, Lucas links from the Prequels to the original Trilogy in ROTS. The title "Return of The Jedi", isn't referring to Luke. It's Anakin, when he throws Palpatine in that pit, he's retroactively fulfilling that plot thread established from that. He actually was the one to bring balance to force, redeemed through his son.

And within the Prequels we see that idea of him being powerful corrupting him. The Jedi constantly casting him to the side with trepidation and Palpatine grooming him. Again, video above. It's far better examination than RLM embellished nit-picking.

Or better yet, let Dave Filoni explain it.

Loading Video...

Now, not gonna sit here and claim they are perfect. That would be stupid. Some of the CGI is straight up dodgy by todays standards. The dialogue hammy and Jar Jar Binks, Jar Jar binks.

But compared to the Disney movies? Those come across as aimless, hollow. Cynical in nature. Pretty screensavers where I have no investment in the characters.

Thankfully they woke up and realized Dave Filoni had been making excellent content for years. Not that I think Mandalorian is perfect either, that has it's own problems.

Those final 4 episodes of Clone Wars, perfection. About as good as it gets.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

Isn't this like asking which turd by him is your choice?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

I actually liked Into Darkness, mostly, the forced relationship between Kirk and Spawk was... well, so forced.

ALSO...

Loading Video...

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By judaspete

@rmiller365: @uninspiredcup: Dude, the hate for the prequels was strong way before Red Letter Media came around. As evidence, I offer this link to a Boondocks comic strip from July 1999, where an obsessive Star Wars fan had his mind broken by how bad Episode one was.

Goes July 6-10

Things slowly began to turn around after episode 3 came out, but it wasn't really until people who saw these movies as kids grew up that you really got many defending the prequels. Also, Clone Wars helped fill in some of the gaps in storytelling. Made Anakin's turn feel more fleshed out. But even that took some time to get good.

If Disney had gone with something closer to the Trevoro script for Episode 9, I think sentiment toward the sequels would have ended up going through a similar transformation. Finishing on such a low note will only sour what came before it though.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

@judaspete: lol, that comic, reminded me of this guy...

https://waitingforstarwars.blogspot.com/?m=1

...he waited 5 months for Episode III.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 judaspete

@lamprey263 said:

@judaspete: lol, that comic, reminded me of this guy...

https://waitingforstarwars.blogspot.com/?m=1

...he waited 5 months for Episode III.

Jesus... At least Episode 3 turned out to be alright.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup

@judaspete: That's true, their was stuff before RLM. Namely around Phantom Menace. Still feel they were the ones that popularized it where it became sport, following a conga-line to bash them by just parroting what they said.

Another interesting vid regarding his wooden dialogue.

Loading Video...

Can remember so many lines from The Prequels, but can't remember a single one from the Sequels, and I watched those more recently compared to The Prequels years back.

Anakin in the Clone Wars series is basically a different character imo. He's far more troubled in the live-action movies where as in the Clone Wars it's more hinted at, with the final 4 episodes refusing to show him in anything but a positive light to contrast with the dramatic change when it shifts to the The Empire in the final scene.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By judaspete

@uninspiredcup: I'll agree there, RLM and the rise of Youtube amplified the hate. But I also think Youtube is a big reason some people have come around to the prequels.

Disagree about the ST not having any good quotes, though everything I can think of is just from TLJ:

"The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. This is the burden of all masters". Actually, everything Yoda says is great.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. It's the only way to become what you are meant to be".

"There are things you cannot solve by jumping in an X-Wing and blowing something up".

"Permission to jump in an X-Wing and blow something up?"

"And you think what? I'm going to walk out with a laser sword and face down the whole First Order?"

"Strike me down in anger, and I'll always be with you. Just like your father".

"Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong. The Rebellion is reborn today. The war is just beginning. And I will not be the last Jedi".

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 judaspete

@girlusocrazy: Ha! Pretty sure there's a stand up comic with a routine about nerds getting pissed off when people mix these up. Brian Posehn or something?

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#32 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1175 Posts

Loved Rise of Skywalker so that.