Obama says students with disabilities have a right to play sports

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#201 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

If women will be in combat with men in the military, and have to go through the rigor of that training, there's no reason that they shouldn't compete along side men in sports. I teach at a small enough instutition that many of the sports are coed like tennis and soccer.

worlock77

Using the current rules that are in place, women have no chance of competing with men in the NFL, NBA, or MLB. Obviously.

What specific rules in place prevent women from competing in those leagues?

The rules don't prevent them from trying to compete. They won't be able to compete athletically without changing the rules of the game.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Yes....they should be able to participate in sports as long as it's within their abilities allow them to compete. What's the big deal L?worlock77

Exactly. A person who, for example, is deaf might be disabled, but there is nothing about his disability that would preclude him from playing baseball.

That's not the issue at hand. In the article that the TC posted, the rules of the sport were actually altered to allow a mostly blind person to be more competitive.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#203 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Using the current rules that are in place, women have no chance of competing with men in the NFL, NBA, or MLB. Obviously.

hartsickdiscipl

The rules don't prevent them from trying to compete. They won't be able to compete athletically without changing the rules of the game.

Are you sure about that? Since it's never been done....I think it would premature to say not one woman could play in the pros if given the chance.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

LJS9502_basic

Are you sure about that? Since it's never been done....I think it would premature to say not one woman could play in the pros if given the chance.

Then let's see it. I want to see one woman make it in the NFL for more than a season playing a position other than kicker or punter.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 LJS9502_basic  Online

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

hartsickdiscipl

Then let's see it. I want to see one woman make it in the NFL for more than a season playing a position other than kicker or punter.

Culture of the sport doesn't allow it.:|
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#206 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Did they have to change any of the rules of the game itself to let black players in? No. Stupid, stupid example.

hartsickdiscipl

Actually they did, not sure about the MLB, but the NBA most certainly did...

You're not referring to dunking, are you?

No the three point line was introduced so that white males would still be competitive in the NBA.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Yes....they should be able to participate in sports as long as it's within their abilities allow them to compete. What's the big deal L?hartsickdiscipl

Exactly. A person who, for example, is deaf might be disabled, but there is nothing about his disability that would preclude him from playing baseball.

That's not the issue at hand. In the article that the TC posted, the rules of the sport were actually altered to allow a mostly blind person to be more competitive.

The fundamental rules? No, not really they weren't. Not sure if you realize this but minor rules are not static, and most leagues in any given sport make their own rule adjustments for any number of different reasons.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 worlock77

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Are you sure about that? Since it's never been done....I think it would premature to say not one woman could play in the pros if given the chance.LJS9502_basic

And that won't change precisely because of mindsets like hartsick's.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#209 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Culture of the sport doesn't allow it.:|

It has nothing to do with the culture of the sport. A woman could not physically play a position like linebacker where the player's body is constantly being abused.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

The fundamental rules? No, not really they weren't. Not sure if you realize this but minor rules are not static, and most leagues in any given sport make their own rule adjustments for any number of different reasons.

Making it so wrestlers have to touch each other at all times it not a minor rule. That is a huge change to the sport, and in that example it served absolutely no purpose for anyone except that one blind guy.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 worlock77

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Culture of the sport doesn't allow it.:|jim_shorts
It has nothing to do with the culture of the sport. A woman could not physically play a position like linebacker where the player's body is constantly being abused.

I'm sure there are many who could. Women aren't delicately little flowers who'll break if touched or breathed on too hard. They can be a lot tougher than many men want to give them credit for.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 LJS9502_basic  Online

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Culture of the sport doesn't allow it.:|jim_shorts

Position =/= sport. And I think you'd be surprised by some women....

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Laihendi

Making it so wrestlers have to touch each other at all times it not a minor rule. That is a huge change to the sport, and in that example it served absolutely no purpose for anyone except that one blind guy.

Considering that the sport consists of two guys rubbing against each other, yeah, it's a minor change.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

How does that particular rule give ether player a particular advantage or disadvantage?

worlock77

It has nothing to do with advantages or disadvantages. The problem is that Obama is wanting to regulate athletic recreation. He wants to make it so people aren't allowed to do something that someone else can't do. Obama wants to force physical limitations on everyone so that everyone will be equal - equally impaired, equally disabled, and equally crippled.

He never said such, neither did the article you cited.

Forcing a new rule onto a sport that makes vision irrelevant makes it so that all of the participants might as well be blind. Because one person could not benefit from vision, nobody was allowed to benefit from vision.
Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Laihendi

i wrestled in high school this isn't that much of a change
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

Considering that the sport consists of two guys rubbing against each other, yeah, it's a minor change.

Have you even watched wrestling? There is lots of time where they aren't touching each other.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Laihendi
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Abbeten

It was a significant change because it was the difference between whether someone was or was not capable of competing in the sport.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] Making it so wrestlers have to touch each other at all times it not a minor rule. That is a huge change to the sport, and in that example it served absolutely no purpose for anyone except that one blind guy.

Laihendi

Have you even watched wrestling? There is lots of time where they aren't touching each other.

Is it really a big deal that they have to have physical contact? That's actually how the sport works TBH....you cannot win without touching your opponent. Having two members of my family with disabilities...and both played sports without special accommodations.....I find your ideas distasteful.
Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Abbeten
[QUOTE="Abbeten"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Making it so wrestlers have to touch each other at all times it not a minor rule. That is a huge change to the sport, and in that example it served absolutely no purpose for anyone except that one blind guy.Laihendi

It was a significant change because it was the difference between whether someone was or was not capable of competing in the sport.

this is a really circular argument we can't let disabled people compete because that would require a huge change in the actual sport, and the huge change would simply be the permission of disabled people to compete okay buddy
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

If a school wants to form a new team for them then I guess I don't care.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 worlock77

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

LJS9502_basic

Is it really a big deal that they have to have physical contact? That's actually how the sport works TBH....you cannot win without touching your opponent. Having two members of my family with disabilities...and both played sports without special accommodations.....I find your ideas distasteful.

Yeah, it's kinda like arguing that requiring two arm wrestler's hands be bound together is a fundamental alteration to the sport.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 jim_shorts

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Culture of the sport doesn't allow it.:|LJS9502_basic

The only position a woman could conceivably play is kicker. Literally nothing else. These are the top .0000001% of male athletes and you think a woman could compete with them? Maybe one in a lifetime. Women don't have the speed or the ability to put on muscle to play in the NFL. They would be a liability on any NFL team. That's why the don't get a chance.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"]It has nothing to do with the culture of the sport. A woman could not physically play a position like linebacker where the player's body is constantly being abused.jim_shorts

The only position a woman could conceivably play is kicker. Literally nothing else. These are the top .0000001% of male athletes and you think a woman could compete with them? Maybe one in a lifetime. Women don't have the speed or the ability to put on muscle to play in the NFL. They would be a liability on any NFL team. That's why the don't get a chance.

It's entirely possible for a woman to physically adapt to the position a sport would require if she had the chance to play said sport. As I said above...it's the culture that stops that from happening. Why are you so panicked that a woman might play a sport that is currently male dominated? Would you feel emasculated if a woman could catch a football?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 worlock77

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"]It has nothing to do with the culture of the sport. A woman could not physically play a position like linebacker where the player's body is constantly being abused.jim_shorts

There have been male sub-6 ft/sub-200 lb players do pretty good in the sport. Size is not everything.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 jim_shorts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] It's entirely possible for a woman to physically adapt to the position a sport would require if she had the chance to play said sport. As I said above...it's the culture that stops that from happening. Why are you so panicked that a woman might play a sport that is currently male dominated? Would you feel emasculated if a woman could catch a football?

Not at all, I just find it ridiculous that you would argue that women could play in that league in any real capacity. Perhaps at the high school level, but these are the best athletes on the planet.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 jim_shorts

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Position =/= sport. And I think you'd be surprised by some women....

worlock77

There have been male sub-6 ft/sub-200 lb players do pretty good in the sport. Size is not everything.

Some positions require that size, but they also require speed. Those people can run 4.4 40 times.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"] The only position a woman could conceivably play is kicker. Literally nothing else. These are the top .0000001% of male athletes and you think a woman could compete with them? Maybe one in a lifetime. Women don't have the speed or the ability to put on muscle to play in the NFL. They would be a liability on any NFL team. That's why the don't get a chance.jim_shorts

Some positions require that size, but they also require speed. Those people can run 4.4 40 times.

So now you're saying that women can't run ether?

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 jim_shorts

worlock77
Very, very few women could come close that time. Hell, very few men can. There's a reason there are separate heats for men and women on every track event ever held.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 worlock77

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] It's entirely possible for a woman to physically adapt to the position a sport would require if she had the chance to play said sport. As I said above...it's the culture that stops that from happening. Why are you so panicked that a woman might play a sport that is currently male dominated? Would you feel emasculated if a woman could catch a football?jim_shorts
Not at all, I just find it ridiculous that you would argue that women could play in that league in any real capacity. Perhaps at the high school level, but these are the best athletes on the planet.

And, despite all the distraction about professional leagues, this thread is about is scholastic athletics.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 jim_shorts

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] It's entirely possible for a woman to physically adapt to the position a sport would require if she had the chance to play said sport. As I said above...it's the culture that stops that from happening. Why are you so panicked that a woman might play a sport that is currently male dominated? Would you feel emasculated if a woman could catch a football?worlock77

And, despite all the distraction about professional leagues, this thread is about is scholastic athletics.

Pretty much all threads like this get derailed at some point. I just hopped in when people started talking about the NFL because that's more interesting to me.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

jim_shorts

Very, very few women could come close that time. Hell, very few men can. There's a reason there are separate heats for men and women on every track event ever held.

But it is possible that women can, which basically contradicts what you've been arguing. And the reason why there are seperate heats is because people still have absolutely absurd notions again coed athletics.

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

Or he's saying that they can't run as fast, hence the word "speed". Nowhere in his post did he say, or even imply, that women "can't run".

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 jim_shorts

And the reason why there are seperate heats is because people still have absolutely absurd notions again coed athletics.worlock77
You're deluded. There are separate heats because the fastest woman's time is a mediocre mens' time. Let's compare. The 22nd fastest all time 100 meter dash time for men is 9.88. The fastest all time for women is 10.49. The women would literally never win if they had a single heat.

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

worlock77

But it is possible that women can, which basically contradicts what you've been arguing. And the reason why there are seperate heats is because people still have absolutely absurd notions again coed athletics.

Youv'e gotta be kidding me. That's not the reason why there are separate heats...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#235 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
I don't see the problem, if they get to do sports and where they can do it together with others i don't see the problem. If they get to compete with others with disability, then i don't see why people are protesting
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]Actually they did, not sure about the MLB, but the NBA most certainly did...

Yusuke420

You're not referring to dunking, are you?

No the three point line was introduced so that white males would still be competitive in the NBA.

LOL. No.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Are you sure about that? Since it's never been done....I think it would premature to say not one woman could play in the pros if given the chance.LJS9502_basic

lol.. nice try.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

I guess you've never wrestled competitively. That's a big rule change. I explained why earlier in the thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#239 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Female High School Quarterback.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/03/sports/girl-is-pioneer-at-quarterback-for-florida-high-school.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Changes like this often happen at younger ages and lower levels, but it will continue to trickle up.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 hartsickdiscipl

worlock77

There has never been a single woman on the face of this Earth who could beat Usain Bolt. I'm confident in saying that. Prove me wrong.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Abbeten
there has never been a single man on the face of this earth who could beat usain bolt, either
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#242 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
When is Barry Obeyme going to stop pretending to be a "liberal" (classic definition) or "progressive". Instead we get red herring after red herring, all of which always seems to involve banning, regulating or forcing something.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 hartsickdiscipl

Female High School Quarterback.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/03/sports/girl-is-pioneer-at-quarterback-for-florida-high-school.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Changes like this often happen at younger ages and lower levels, but it will continue to trickle up.

jimkabrhel

Lame example. I dated a woman who was the quarterback on her high school team. It was a small high school, and she had no chance in hell of playing collegiately. She admitted as much.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 hartsickdiscipl

there has never been a single man on the face of this earth who could beat usain bolt, eitherAbbeten

A guy on his own team beat him during the 2012 Olympics or trials, can't remember which.

update- here you go

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2167516/Usain-Bolt-beaten-Yohan-Blake-again.html

If you look at the fastest men's times, they are FAR faster than the fastest women's times. Even the mediocre men's times are faster. This is such a stupid discussion. There is no argument here.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 hartsickdiscipl

When is Barry Obeyme going to stop pretending to be a "liberal" (classic definition) or "progressive". Instead we get red herring after red herring, all of which always seems to involve banning, regulating or forcing something.MrPraline

He's clearly a delusional authoritarian.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#246 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

[QUOTE="MrPraline"]When is Barry Obeyme going to stop pretending to be a "liberal" (classic definition) or "progressive". Instead we get red herring after red herring, all of which always seems to involve banning, regulating or forcing something.hartsickdiscipl

He's clearly no different than his predecessors.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 MrPraline

[QUOTE="MrPraline"]When is Barry Obeyme going to stop pretending to be a "liberal" (classic definition) or "progressive". Instead we get red herring after red herring, all of which always seems to involve banning, regulating or forcing something.hartsickdiscipl

yep change we can believe in
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 jim_shorts

[QUOTE="MrPraline"]When is Barry Obeyme going to stop pretending to be a "liberal" (classic definition) or "progressive". Instead we get red herring after red herring, all of which always seems to involve banning, regulating or forcing something.jimkabrhel

Kinda goes against his whole "Hope and change" campaign spiel.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 MrPraline
[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

jim_shorts

lol #hopenosis
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

jim_shorts

Which is extremely vague and includes no real solutions.