Now that Verizon is getting rid of unlimted data what should I do?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2914 posts) -

I have been a Verizon customer since 08' and they have given me amazing service however, now that they are canceling their unlimited data I have to pay more which doesn't make any sense at all. I have unlimited data and I have to switch to a limited plan and pay more? This doesn't sound right at all.

They offer 2GB of data for I think 30 bucks, 4GB for $50 and it just increases from there. I am a little worried about the 2GB plan, because I think I will go over, but the 4GB plan is a little too expensive.

I have also thought I of swtiching service to Sprint, since I have had terrible service with AT&T and T-Mobile, but I heard the call and data service is sub par at best when compared to verizon even though they are the only Wireless company that offers unlimited everything (including data) for about 80 bucks.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
Go to Net10 or Straight-Talk? Contract plans are for the ignorant.
#3 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2914 posts) -

Go to Net10 or Straight-Talk? Contract plans are for the ignorant. Fightingfan

No, contract plans are for people who don't want dropped calls and actually good phone service.

#4 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Go to Net10 or Straight-Talk? Contract plans are for the ignorant. Mighty-Lu-Bu

No, contract plans are for people who don't want dropped calls and actually good phone service.

You're silly. Straight-Talk rents ATT and Verizon towers. It's the same service, but at a lower price. Contracts are for the sole purpose of taking advantage of the ignorant thinking they're saving money, and gaining value. You think that an iphone on Sprint is really $199-- I hope not, the actual price is subsidized in the contract; which is why your monthly bill is like 100+.
#5 Posted by lamprey263 (35013 posts) -
switch to a different carrier
#6 Posted by comp_atkins (34681 posts) -
check your usage stats w/ verizon.. what's you're monthly data averages? it should give you an idea if you'll be near the limit
Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
#7 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1231 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mighty-Lu-Bu"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Go to Net10 or Straight-Talk? Contract plans are for the ignorant. Fightingfan

You're silly. Straight-Talk rents ATT and Verizon towers. It's the same service, but at a lower price. Contracts are for the sole purpose of taking advantage of the ignorant thinking they're saving money, and gaining value. You think that an iphone on Sprint is really $199-- I hope not, the actual price is subsidized in the contract; which is why your monthly bill is like 100+.

I am starting to agree. Also, TC don't go with sprint. Their service is TERRIBLE. Unlimited bs, unless you are right next to one of their towers.
#8 Posted by Squeets (8185 posts) -

If you live in a city then any major carrier will be exactly the same.  Its only rural and some residential areas where services other than Verizon become spotty.

#9 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
I would recommend going with who ever you want, and simply using wifi when you're at home, work, school, or wherever.
Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
#10 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1231 posts) -
I would recommend going with who ever you want, and simply using wifi when you're at home, work, school, or wherever. Fightingfan
Pretty much. Even the service providers will recommend this so you won't go over.
#11 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mighty-Lu-Bu"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Go to Net10 or Straight-Talk? Contract plans are for the ignorant. Fightingfan

agreed. There is many smaller business that is partnered with main disturbers for services. Anyways sound like you need drop those fools. In this day and age data limits are a joke.

What you NEED TO DO is call them up and complain tell them no you want what you signed up for the price you signed. OR goodbye you wont be getting other dollar from me.

#12 Posted by Talldude80 (6321 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mighty-Lu-Bu"]

Exactly.  If you switch to a straight -talk, you don't get a phone at a discounted rate.  You pay the FULL $600 for a nice phone. Instead of getting it for $100-200. or getting a decent phone (like the iphone4) for free.

and from what I know if you have an unlimited plan.  they cant MAKE you switch to a limited data plan.  You should be grandfathered.  That's how it is for my brothers on AT&T.  I however just got on with Verizon and I have a 2GB plan.  Not a big deal for me, since I have Wireless internet everywhere I go.  I RARELY use 3G on my phone.  Wi-fi at work, at home, at stores, etc.  just be sure you TALK to someone at a Verizon store before you sign up for some new plan. make SURE you actually have to change your plan.   and if you have to, threaten to change to a competitor, they may give you a discount.   I was given $10 off (per month)my first year on Verizon when I got my smartphone and signed up for a 2GB plan.

#13 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6700 posts) -
Sprint has unlimited data. Go to them
#14 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2914 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="Mighty-Lu-Bu"]

Talldude80

Exactly.  If you switch to a straight -talk, you don't get a phone at a discounted rate.  You pay the FULL $600 for a nice phone. Instead of getting it for $100-200. or getting a decent phone (like the iphone4) for free.

and from what I know if you have an unlimited plan.  they cant MAKE you switch to a limited data plan.  You should be grandfathered.  That's how it is for my brothers on AT&T.  I however just got on with Verizon and I have a 2GB plan.  Not a big deal for me, since I have Wireless internet everywhere I go.  I RARELY use 3G on my phone.  Wi-fi at work, at home, at stores, etc.  just be sure you TALK to someone at a Verizon store before you sign up for some new plan. make SURE you actually have to change your plan.   and if you have to, threaten to change to a competitor, they may give you a discount.   I was given $10 off (per month)my first year on Verizon when I got my smartphone and signed up for a 2GB plan.

As of 2011 Verizon does not offer unlimited data. Those who had it previously were grandfathered in. However, now if you want to upgrade to a new phone, you lose your unlimited data plan. You can keep it, but you have to pay full retail price for a phone so around $700 (which is ridiculous).

#15 Posted by Deadpool-n (489 posts) -

Only use 4G when you have to. Otherwise stick to wifi and you'll be fine. 4gigs is more than enough for me. 2gigs could be enough.

#16 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

[QUOTE="Talldude80"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] You're silly. Straight-Talk rents ATT and Verizon towers. It's the same service, but at a lower price. Contracts are for the sole purpose of taking advantage of the ignorant thinking they're saving money, and gaining value. You think that an iphone on Sprint is really $199-- I hope not, the actual price is subsidized in the contract; which is why your monthly bill is like 100+.Mighty-Lu-Bu

As of 2011 Verizon does not offer unlimited data. Those who had it previously were grandfathered in. However, now if you want to upgrade to a new phone, you lose your unlimited data plan. You can keep it, but you have to pay full retail price for a phone so around $700 (which is ridiculous).

ebay...
#17 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

You pay the FULL $600 for a nice phone. Instead of getting it for $100-200. or getting a decent phone (like the iphone4) for freeTalldude80
You're not getting anything discounted, or for free in a contract. There's no such thing as free in capitalism.

#18 Posted by Chutebox (43472 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mighty-Lu-Bu"]

Contracts are actually for reduced phone prices too
#19 Posted by Dogswithguns (11359 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Go to Net10 or Straight-Talk? Contract plans are for the ignorant. Mighty-Lu-Bu

Are sh*tting?!. I have noncontract and my calls never dropped. and it's only $40 a month, unlimited... I had Sprint the calls dropped all the time. $90 for nothing but crappy.
#20 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2914 posts) -
Yeah thats what turns me away from Sprint, they are not known for being as reliable as Verizon which sucks.
#21 Posted by LazySloth718 (2345 posts) -

I'm on t-mobile

It's the best price/service depending on where you live.

#22 Posted by The-Apostle (12195 posts) -
Getting rid of it my ass... They already GOT rid of it. :(