non-influencer twitter user claims to have seen Captain Marvel. Gives spoilers(NO SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD)

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By PETERAKO
Member since 2007 • 2579 Posts

A twitter user has allegedly seen captain Marvel without having some sort of pass for early screenings and she's giving away spoilers. For the sake of users that want to know more general, spoiler free info about the movie, I won't be posting spoilers here and neither should you.

Before I link to the twitter thread, MASSIVE SPOILER WARNING!!!! If you don't want the movie spoiled, don't go to the twitter thread.

Anyway, twitter user Sabrina The Movie girl allegedly gained access to the movie. Here is the general info with no spoilers

Movie quality-In regards to movie quality Sabrina's take was that the movie was "not horrible, not good" but "meh", "forgettable" and "generic, which falls in line with Thor the dark world. If that's so, then it would be in stark contrast to what officials and media have claimed about this movie and the glowing impressions of those invited in the early screenings.

Regarding Brie's acting-Hot topic, this one. Early trailers of captain Marvel depicted Danvers as this deadpan character with no emotion or expression. It is proved that Brie Larson can act(see the "room"), however when asked if Brie shows any kind of emotion in captain Marvel, Sabrina says that "She’s not even trying". If there is a reason People loved the MCU is because of the unique personalities that populated it. Stark is an eccentric, super rich inventor, Rogers is the kind hearted and heroic hero that tried to do the best, Thor was a spoiled brat that learned to be humble and be strong when he lost his entire family. IF there is nothing to captain Marvel then what is the point

Wokeness-Pretty much the elephant in the room. Brie Larson's unrefined and rather scorching activism had many users asking how activist the movie was. Sabrina responded with "subliminal", but also scores it with a probable 9 out of 10. Generally I wasn't able to figure out exactly how much the movie pushes identity politics and feminist activism.

My final thoughts are that, if Sabrina is telling the truth, then captain Marvel is a middling movie overhyped beyond reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1 deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
Member since 2019 • 392 Posts
@PETERAKO said:

Generally I wasn't able to figure out exactly how much the movie pushes identity politics and feminist activism.

Well probably because it doesn't.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By PETERAKO

@volsung: That is not her quote. I meant that me personally couldn't figure how much does it goes into that. She did go into some details on that front, but that is spoiler territory, and also the post is also fairly recent and she hasn't given out much yet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
@PETERAKO said:

@volsung: . I meant that me personally couldn't figure how much does it goes into that.

probably because it doesn't...

I mean seriously though, it's the same thing as Last Jedi. Some people are going to get this notion that it has this sjw agenda and are not going to shut up about it. Meanwhile I'm just confused as to what they see and I don't. Is it because Kelly Tran is kind of chubby in the movie? Is it because Oscar Issac has to takes orders from a woman? Is there subtext when Mark Hamil milks those nips?

**** if I know.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PETERAKO

@volsung: Poe was not merely ordered around, but degraded and belittled by a woman that had pink hair(and yeah, I think this is a dead giveaway). Kelly said it herself after the whole instagram fiasco which was spunned to look like she was bullied out. Mark Hamil was turned into a grumpy defeatist, hermit to make Rey look better than him. It is also with their own admittance and how they chose to defend the last jedi against criticism. Anyway, this is off topic.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

So some literal nobody on the internet claims to have seen the movie.

Good to know.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts
@volsung said:
@PETERAKO said:

@volsung: . I meant that me personally couldn't figure how much does it goes into that.

I mean seriously though, it's the same thing as Last Jedi. Some people are going to get this notion that it has this sjw agenda and are not going to shut up about it. Meanwhile I'm just confused as to what they see and I don't. Is it because Kelly Tran is kind of chubby in the movie? Is it because Oscar Issac has to takes orders from a woman? Is there subtext when Mark Hamil milks those nips?

**** if I know.

Sure, Aljosa! Ren is a complete Mary Sue and you're blind to see how she mastered the Force faster than Luke?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@volsung said:
@PETERAKO said:

**** if I know.

Sure, Aljosa! Ren is a complete Mary Sue and you're blind to see how she mastered the Force faster than Luke?

Well you made me chuckle.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PETERAKO

@Baconstrip78: We'll know march 8. She seems pretty confident though.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PETERAKO

@FireEmblem_Man: I think you meant Rey, not Ren.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58842 Posts

I saw RT changing it's policies. When you're trying to review bomb a movie before seeing it, you are objectively a loser.

As for the movie itself, I don't really know anything about the character and the trailer was meh, but i'll watch it when it's on tv.

-

They sort of could do with another good female character, aside from Valkyrie, and pretty much every female in Guardians, the others kinda suck..

Black Widow is especially boring. You can practically interchange her with Hawkeye in most cases.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PETERAKO

@uninspiredcup: I think that it is well established by now that there was no review bombing involved in rotten tomatoes.

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
GettingonwithGamingLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GettingonwithGamingLife
Member since 2017 • 277 Posts

If thats true, I wonder how. Probably pirate?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I can't take any talk about this movie seriously when there's a vicious smear campaign going on against it from people who haven't even seen the movie. I'll wait for when the actual reviews come out, and I'll wait for when I actually see it for me to form non-biased judgement.

For all I know this person didn't even see the movie, but they really have not much of a life to be making things up.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PETERAKO

@jaydan: Apart from criticism on how this movie is marketed, and this one twitter user, I haven't seen anyone talk about the actual movie itself. So I'm not sure to what smear campaign you're referring to.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts
@PETERAKO said:

@jaydan: Apart from criticism on how this movie is marketed, and this one twitter user, I haven't seen anyone talk about the actual movie itself. So I'm not sure to what smear campaign you're referring to.

All the neckbeard snowflakes review-bombing a movie they have not seen because they've been triggered by the actor in the lead role. People are boycotting the movie in masses declaring they won't see the it because they looked too deeply and implied the actor said "it's not for them". There is all the countless Youtube channels making daily videos dissecting the verbal choices of Brie Larson and why Captain Marvel is destined to sink the entire MCU because of Larson, and these Youtube channels are all doing it for the attention and gaining subscribers. The movie went from a projected opening debut of $180-million to below $100-million because of all the sensitivity that internet culture is inclining.

Half of these people that claim they won't be seeing the movie will be seeing it anyways. This random schmo you made a post about did not see the movie but made a "review" to make it seem like it's short of spectacular. If it was a legitimate review then the person who posted it would be bombarded by violations of the embargo code. All it really is, is an attempt to layering more salt onto an entire mountain of it that internet trolls have been already contributing to. I will not take any of these trollish controversies seriously whatsoever until the movie actually comes out and the credibility of both reviewers and general audiences have a say in its quality.

If you're really in the interest of seeing how people are reacting to the film and spreading these reactions, then you would have instead posted the reactions over the spreading of more smear campaign. You would have taken a gander at the real pre-screening reactions: here. It sounds an awful lot like early reactions of the movie are very positive. While we won't know just where Captain Marvel ranks in the MCU catalog until after it's out, it being ranked as low as Thor: the Dark World sounds very much out of the equation.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

@jaydan said:
@PETERAKO said:

All the neckbeard snowflakes review-bombing a movie they have not seen because they've been triggered by the actor in the lead role. People are boycotting the movie in masses declaring they won't see the it because they looked too deeply and implied the actor said "it's not for them". There is all the countless Youtube channels making daily videos dissecting the verbal choices of Brie Larson and why Captain Marvel is destined to sink the entire MCU because of Larson, and these Youtube channels are all doing it for the attention and gaining subscribers. The movie went from a projected opening debut of $180-million to below $100-million because of all the sensitivity that internet culture is inclining.

Half of these people that claim they won't be seeing the movie will be seeing it anyways. This random schmo you made a post about did not see the movie but made a "review" to make it seem like it's short of spectacular. If it was a legitimate review then the person who posted it would be bombarded by violations of the embargo code. All it really is, is an attempt to layering more salt onto an entire mountain of it that internet trolls have been already contributing to. I will not take any of these trollish controversies seriously whatsoever until the movie actually comes out and the credibility of both reviewers and general audiences have a say in its quality.

If you're really in the interest of seeing how people are reacting to the film and spreading these reactions, then you would have instead posted the reactions over the spreading of more smear campaign. You would have taken a gander at the real pre-screening reactions: here. It sounds an awful lot like early reactions of the movie are very positive. While we won't know just where Captain Marvel ranks in the MCU catalog until after it's out, it being ranked as low as Thor: the Dark World sounds very much out of the equation.

Very well said. Seriously, pretty much every Hollywood actor is a political activist to some degree. Brie Larson getting attacked while Chris Evans and Mark Ruffalo are ignored is eyebrow raising. And it would be nice if the Anti-SJWs stuck to their morals and rejected every damn actor guilty of it. If they did that, then they wouldn't be treated as misogynistic jokes. Even Scarlett Johannson is a known Liberal as well and she's not attacked either. None of these people made stupid comments about white men reviewing too much.

All of that said, I'm hype for Captain Marvel myself and as well as the other Captain Marvel. I got to movies to have fun and lose my mind. Leave Political out of our movies.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PETERAKO

@jaydan

Some time ago Brie Larson said in an event that she doesn't care what 40 year old white males have to say about a wrinkle in time because it was not made for them, granted she claimed not to hate "white dudes", but that is like saying "not to be racist, but..." before you proceed to say something racist. By her logic, captain marvel is only for white women.

Also have a gander at the marketing. Brie herself has repeatedly hammered the point that this is about feminism, and that this is a form of activism. Then you have the mountain of media outlets heralding this middle of the road, popcorn flick like some sort of second coming, not to mention the utter, misinformed toss they write to defend it, with their usual buzzwords of sexism, racism and trolling. These words have lost any weight or meaning because of that. Meanwhile not Brie nor Disney decry them.

People do not like identity politics shoved into their entertainment. In the case of the MCU there are a lot of people of ALL races, genders and ages that have been following it for the more than a decade and many grew up with it, and who YES have a problem with a spoiled rich brat running her mouth on turning the MCU into an activism platform, and congrats, you generalized them all into "neckbeards", accusing them of nonexistend review bombings just assume their motives. That is why they flock to outspoken youtubers and said youtubers grow. All that while no hustle was raised for wonder woman and more recently Alita.

BTW don't brandish the people who were invited into the early screenings, in my face. It is not a secret anymore, that most, if not all major media outlets and journalists are either directly or indirectly owned/partnered with production companies, and even when they're not, they want to maintain their access to events, interviews and the lot. So my apologies if I don't trust your sources either.

@davillain-

People know how to separate the art from the artist. This is not the case with Brie. Until Brie came along and started heralding her movie as this symbol of feminism/activism in the most blunt and unrefined way possible none of the cast has stirred any trouble around their beliefs, nor they try to insert them into their movies.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#21 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I stopped caring about Marvel movies a very long time ago (excepting Logan, which was fucking fantastic(I know it's not Marvel studios but it is a Marvel property)) and I just love seeing the rhetoric and banal arguing that is currently surrounding this movie. All over some corporate product designed to make as much money as possible.

People who claim that they want more female leads in movies champion these mediocre products, and people who claim not to give a shit still manage to get worked up over what will probably be a straightforward, mildly entertaining but superficial movie, which is exactly what the majority of the Marvel movies are to me anyways.