No matter how much i study for a Math test, I always get a D or C!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 AznKSor
Member since 2010 • 1400 Posts

Ok, we all have to study for a test right. We study for history,science,math,english.But don't you just hate it when you study super hard for a test and still get a bad grade, while someone doesn't even try gets a perfect A.Well heres my story.I have pros and cons.Im a A- student for History,im an A+ student for science(My uncle is scienctist so he forces it on me :P) (Science is is my Blood!) Well lets see math.Oh look a C. WTF. Stereotype Alert:Im asian so people expect me to be good at math.Well i listen,ask questions, and study super hard but i always get a D or C on the freaking test! Has this ever happen to you.Also i hate it when you know everything about the topic but once the teacher puts the test in your face, you go O.O! Glad my math teacher offers retakes every time. She's a cool teacher and if she sees that you try hard and focus she will like you no matter what grade you have :D A in math here i come!( I hope)

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

I've never studied super hard and gotten a bad grade. Most times if I get a not so hot score, it's because I didn't study enough and I know it. I've found myself get decent-good grades on tests with very minimal studying if anything. I'm pretty good at BSing those types of things :P

I feel your pain though. Math is my worst, it takes me forever to fully absorb something. I'm more of a science and English person myself.

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

Try harder!

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Try a different method of studying.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Learning is an ongoing process; most people can't just cram for a test and necessarily do well in all disciplines. Learn concepts as they are introduced in class and make sure that you understand them, and I suspect tests will go a lot more smoothly.
ariz3260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ariz3260
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts

There's an approach and method of studying, I'm thinking you just haven't find it yet

Fudgycakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fudgycakes
Member since 2010 • 476 Posts
Why are you studying super hard? Math is absolutes. Grasp the basic material in class and review at home.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

How are you studying?

AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AznKSor

How are you studying?

GabuEx

I would just look at old problems and do them again.And study the steps.You know justifications for algebra ? Yeah i hate them the most :P

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
that's why I'm not taking math in college..... I was fine till grade12 math, but when I hit calculus..... It was first time in my life that I skipped a final exam because it was so dreadful (and Korea was playing Argentina in the world cups, but that's different story)
AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AznKSor

that's why I'm not taking math in college..... I was fine till grade12 math, but when I hit calculus..... It was first time in my life that I skipped a final exam because it was so dreadful (and Korea was playing Argentina in the world cups, but that's different story)funsohng
Oh yea! I watched half of it though.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

How are you studying?

AznKSor

I would just look at old problems and do them again.And study the steps.You know justifications for algebra ? Yeah i hate them the most :P

Study the steps how? What are you looking at, and how do you verify that you've learned something?

If you're getting C's and D's, then evidently there's something that you're not learning, so the first order of business is figuring out what it is and why you aren't learning it despite studying. Just studying more won't help anything if you're not actually learning things.

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

How are you studying?

AznKSor

I find myself having the most trouble with the rules as well, and to do well in math you need to know the basics. I wish I could give more advice, but just set more time aside for math knowing that it is a weakpoint. Tutoring also helps.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

I had a chemistry class once. I'd get a test back and it would be 47%, and I'd say, "aw crap!" Then the professor says, "the class average was 30%," and I'd say, "ohh yeahhh!"

Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#15 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10991 Posts

Maybe a tutor would help?

I remember struggling in math when i was in grade 10, and my mom got me a tutor...it helped a lot! Went from C- to a B :)

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 funsohng
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

How are you studying?

AznKSor

get new problems from your teacher and do new problems with the answer sheet provided. If your teacher won't give you such resources, there is something wrong with your teacher. If your school happens to have no such resources, then your school is wrong. Get some from internet too. get a tutor who will go thru a problem step by step. get used to different types of problems on the same topic. Every single time, try to learn the fundamental principle which you can always use it on different kinds of problems. In college, you will have to do it, since they never give you same format of questions from your past works, and if you are going into sciences (which I'm assuming you are), this is absolutely critical.
Pika-Chama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pika-Chama
Member since 2010 • 492 Posts
I have recently found out that I do better on tests without studying rather than with it. I think it stresses me out too much for me to actually focus.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

But don't you just hate it when you study super hard for a test and still get a bad grade, while someone doesn't even try gets a perfect A.AznKSor

TBH, that has never happened to me...ever.
I don't know what I would do.

I feel bad for you TC :( . Best of luck man.
Math is usually something you either 'get' or you don't...it just kind of clicks in your mind

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rawsavon
[QUOTE="funsohng"]that's why I'm not taking math in college..... I was fine till grade12 math, but when I hit calculus..... It was first time in my life that I skipped a final exam because it was so dreadful (and Korea was playing Argentina in the world cups, but that's different story)

You guys are not required to take any math in college?
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44620 Posts
math to me was always really easy, I mean each math book is broken into sections like chapters 1.1, 1.2, 1.3... 1.6, 2.1, 2.2 etc, and every section introduces only a couple concepts to remember and all the homework from those sections is a reflection of those concepts the downside is you always have to stay current with those concepts, so chapters 1.5 problems might require concepts from all previous sections in the chapter in addition to concepts introduced in section 1.5, so if you were slacking up until then you're going to have trouble never had any problem with math though, as long as I did the homework I was always up to speed on things, since I could figure the material out just going through the section examples I didn't have to listen to the teachers much and I could just do all or most my homework in class, then again I always had really good teachers too that were good at explaining things so maybe sometimes the fault lies in the teacher, their materials, and not necessarily on yourself also, so say you read section 1.3, just look at the questions and examples, and you do selected problems for problems 1 - 60 or whatever, later problems are generally more challenging so it's important to attempt those kinds of problems, some teachers don't do this but it's important exercises in problem solving using the concepts you learn anyhow, what kind of math are you doing?
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 funsohng
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="funsohng"]that's why I'm not taking math in college..... I was fine till grade12 math, but when I hit calculus..... It was first time in my life that I skipped a final exam because it was so dreadful (and Korea was playing Argentina in the world cups, but that's different story)

I'm in humanities, so any science/math credit will do and there are tons of science courses for humanities which are easy and really isn't science but it pretends to be.
NoobisMaxcimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NoobisMaxcimus
Member since 2007 • 2893 Posts
Don't just memorize try to understand the concepts.
Avatar image for CongressManStan
CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CongressManStan
Member since 2010 • 918 Posts
If you struggle in math then you are doomed in the future for science classes.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rawsavon
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="funsohng"]that's why I'm not taking math in college..... I was fine till grade12 math, but when I hit calculus..... It was first time in my life that I skipped a final exam because it was so dreadful (and Korea was playing Argentina in the world cups, but that's different story)

I'm in humanities, so any science/math credit will do and there are tons of science courses for humanities which are easy and really isn't science but it pretends to be.

My first degree was Psychology, but we still had to have some science and math (2 of each I think...maybe more math classes...I forget) All degrees here require at least some math
gogly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gogly
Member since 2003 • 410 Posts

Ok, we all have to study for a test right. We study for history,science,math,english.But don't you just hate it when you study super hard for a test and still get a bad grade, while someone doesn't even try gets a perfect A.Well heres my story.I have pros and cons.Im a A- student for History,im an A+ student for science(My uncle is scienctist so he forces it on me :P) (Science is is my Blood!) Well lets see math.Oh look a C. WTF. Stereotype Alert:Im asian so people expect me to be good at math.Well i listen,ask questions, and study super hard but i always get a D or C on the freaking test! Has this ever happen to you.Also i hate it when you know everything about the topic but once the teacher puts the test in your face, you go O.O! Glad my math teacher offers retakes every time. She's a cool teacher and if she sees that you try hard and focus she will like you no matter what grade you have :D A in math here i come!( I hope)

AznKSor

math aint ur thing. Although its important its not needed in many fields.

hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

that's why I don't even try but still get a D or C on everything except for math, were I get an A or B

Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
I don't try and always do super fantastic, in High School anyways, in college it's more like B's mostly. Just curious, what is your grade in English?
SeanDog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SeanDog123
Member since 2005 • 1327 Posts
In my opinion if you "study" for math you will fail. Studying is only a small part of math, the majority of your time should be spent practicing problems.
qwertywater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 qwertywater
Member since 2010 • 276 Posts

It does suck to study and still fail. That's why I stopped trying and still manage to get Bs and Cs with the occasional A :D

Aspen706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Aspen706
Member since 2010 • 4560 Posts
I haven't had that problem.
Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

it was my people that invent many aspects of maths,i hate math too

ImprovedMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ImprovedMind
Member since 2010 • 738 Posts

You cannot "study" for a math test. You need to understand the rules and concepts that you are taught. Knowing and being able to recite them doesn't count for **** when you are unable to apply them.

Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

You cannot "study" for a math test. You need to understand the rules and concepts that you are taught. Knowing and being able to recite them doesn't count for **** when you are unable to apply them.

ImprovedMind

thats the problem, i can't focus

Scr00I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Scr00I
Member since 2009 • 1130 Posts

Lie to yourself and tell your mind the math is too easy. If you want to find math easy...you have to find it to be easy.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2516 Posts

Are you in Calculus?

MHA2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 MHA2010
Member since 2010 • 114 Posts

I used to have the same problem.

First you should know this will start working after some time.

try to find out if you study math correctly.

answer math questions at home and see how many of them are right.

If you checked them and found out that most of them are right but you still don't get good scores,don't worry.

find more difficault questions and see if you can answer them right.

if they were answered right too try to change your book again,

do this until you find the perfect questions.