No joke, I like DCEU's Justice League more than Avengers.

#1 Posted by SaltSlasher (1232 posts) -

I don't want to say its better like in box office or popularity, but it was a great movie, and I liked it more than all the Avengers attempts. They focused on a core group of characters, and did a way more entertaining movie and I'm way more interested in their buildup than I was with MCU.

I feel like big box office flicks tend to fly through their story and do a terrible job telling a story, with terrible 1 liners at pace so fast that when you're up to your ass in characters so much falls wayside. Marvel has gone overboard, and think they are out of touch, in fact I always thought that, which is why I was happy people were doing X-Men type stuff on the side, like Deadpool was such a fresh breath of air.

Everyone in Justice League had personality, it was interesting and awesome like if a Thor and X-Men collided with way better characters and way better acting. Just feels like everyone is important like a movie should be. Maybe Marvel had that in beginning, but now, it feels like too busy trying to be clever and cool, that rather than be cinematic greatness like Thor, its cheap and dumb shit.

I just haven't connected with anyone in MCU, nothing has been heartwarming and don't love them personally. Feels like MCU is too kid-friendly, and DC is the more adult super hero movies. I wished Marvel was back in shitty movie days, cause Blade was awesome, but now they'll likely turn him into a kids movie, and find a way to stuff him into Avengers 5.

#2 Edited by KungfuKitten (26733 posts) -

I think DC can really capitalise on Marvel's mistakes. In the comic scene they are already more appreciated I believe? I think it's the movies that keep Marvel's comic sales up.

Marvel have the wrong people in power. So they're going to be crippled for some time. It would be the wise decision for DC to bank on this situation. Maybe DC can have actual villains instead of cardboard or rightists. Maybe actual plot instead of preaching. Those are things Marvel won't be able to have for years to come because of their zealotry.

Where Marvel is pre-occupied with destroying their own heroes one at a time, DC can make their heroes and villains shine.

#3 Posted by VFighter (5115 posts) -

@KungfuKitten: What preaching do Marvel movies do exactly?

#4 Edited by uninspiredcup (34310 posts) -

Thor: Ragnarok, Guardians of The Galaxy 2 and Infinity War are light years better than any DCU movie imo.

Animation wise prefer stuff like The Dark Knight Returns and The Mask Of Phantasm over Marvels live action movies. These two are just, really dam good Batman movies.

Still waiting for Knightfall, one of the first comics I ever read. Dark Knight Rises got about 30% of it right then turned to shit. Arkham Origins had elements and is one of the first and only times they got Bane right outside of the comics, much kudos.

Loading Video...

Far more faith in DC's animation outings than the live action stuff, it's always been better imo, going all the way back to Batman Forever.

#5 Edited by KungfuKitten (26733 posts) -

@vfighter: Nothing yet. So far it's just about replacing men. It's just a prediction based on what's been happening. We'll see.

#6 Posted by Chutebox (44698 posts) -

I can see people saying they liked JL better than Endgame. I can see them saying they like JL better than all Avengers films if they were a huge DC fan.

Other than that, hell no! ESPECIALLY Infinity War, that movie is just awesome in every way.

JL was garbage. Endgame is garbage!

#7 Posted by Horgen (120889 posts) -

@KungfuKitten said:

@vfighter: Nothing yet. So far it's just about replacing men. It's just a prediction based on what's been happening. We'll see.

Will The Hulk or SpiderMan replace Tony Stark as the smart guy? I don't see his wife in the series taking over that part of his role.

#8 Posted by VFighter (5115 posts) -

@horgen: Spiderman has already started to take Ironmans place, he did so a few movies back. The big difference is Tony loved the spotlight, Peter doesnt.

#9 Posted by Serraph105 (33961 posts) -

Good for you TC. I don't personally get it or agree with your stance, and I really disagree with your assessment of DC being more "adult" than Marvel, but I'm glad you like the movies all the same.

For me though, Endgame was an excellent and satisfying conclusion to the culmination of 10 years and a 20 plus movie series that have entertained me for years on end and promises to keep doing so for years to come.

#10 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166853 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Thor: Ragnarok, Guardians of The Galaxy 2 and Infinity War are light years better than any DCU movie imo.

Animation wise prefer stuff like The Dark Knight Returns and The Mask Of Phantasm over Marvels live action movies. These two are just, really dam good Batman movies.

Still waiting for Knightfall, one of the first comics I ever read. Dark Knight Rises got about 30% of it right then turned to shit. Arkham Origins had elements and is one of the first and only times they got Bane right outside of the comics, much kudos.

Far more faith in DC's animation outings than the live action stuff, it's always been better imo, going all the way back to Batman Forever.

I thought those were Marvel's weakest movies.

#11 Posted by Heirren (2216 posts) -

Nobody ever recommends marvel films to me. I stopped paying attention around ironman2? I may have seen a few, here and there after that. However, im often told i should give x and y DC films amd chance.

The entire mcu thing is just blaaahhhhh. Imo its destroying the characters, slowly. Disney saw Game of Thrones and tried making each episode a 200 million dollar affair. They all look the same. No doubt these are films made by a committee trying to please every demographic possible. And thats the problem they lack character and personality from the directors. Randomly tossing characters around with zero development unless you saw the prior film 5 years ago--doesnt work like that.

But are any of these side character super heroes, anti heroes? (Lol)

#12 Posted by Archangel3371 (28365 posts) -

I’ve always been way more interested in the Marvel heroes and villains over anything from DC. I do enjoy the Batman and Superman movies from time to time but other then that it’s difficult for me to muster up any enthusiasm to watch the other DC films. All the MCU movies have been incredibly entertaining for me to watch though.

#13 Posted by HEATHEN75 (777 posts) -

@horgen said:
@KungfuKitten said:

Will The Hulk or SpiderMan replace Tony Stark as the smart guy? I don't see his wife in the series taking over that part of his role.

Banner, Shuri and Hank Pym are all established (Hanks age would probably eliminate him from the discussion though). Plenty more big brains in the comics just waiting to hit the big screen. Reed Richards should be hitting the MCU in a few years as well. I'd say he is Marvel's top brain.

#14 Posted by johnd13 (9771 posts) -

I think the DCEU is not as bad as people make it out to be. Most of its movies have their fair share of issues (Suicide Squad and Justice League are the weakest imo) but there is potential. Before breaking apart I think they had created a decent starting roster with Henry Cavil, Ben Afleck and Gal Gadot. A better script with a less darker tone would do them justice (no pun intented).

People are way too addicted to the (stale) Marvel formula though.

#15 Edited by jaydan (2389 posts) -

You are entitled to your opinions, but objectively your assessment is false. Justice League is an objectively poorly executed film.

To say DCEU is better is almost an insult to just how much more effort and careful planning that was put into the MCU. If I were to stand MCU and DCEU side-by-side, the DCEU is the lazy sibling that's trying to catch up but stumbling along the way because it never took the time to learn the skill and nuances that its older sibling spent years developing...DCEU is merely trying to....play catch-up without learning the skill.

Unlike DCEU, the MCU spent over ten years carefully mapping out the trajectory of the series, and creating a tapestry narrative that's interwoven among itself. DCEU merely started throwing in random characters hoping they'd click with audiences. The DCEU missed out on character development.

Something tells me you enjoyed Justice League, more because you already associate with household superhero names, like Batman and Superman. The MCU had a tougher task of building up mostly lesser known characters and turning them into household names, and out of pure character-development over the course of the films they succeeded. That is just something the DCEU does not compare to.

Don't even begin to tell me the story of Justice League was anywhere decent, it was not. You had a one-dimensional villain that had no development or established motivation whatsoever, looking for boxes...again...we don't know what this shit is supposed to be about, because the movie does NOT establish. Even Justice League characters are poorly developed. You don't get much out of Cyborg or Flash. They're just there. The whole movie was completely pointless, because at the end of the day all it took to win the day was not the Justice League, but Superman, that they pulled out at the very end. Poor writing. Poor film. It's a no-brainer why it's unanimously called a failure.

#16 Posted by Horgen (120889 posts) -

@heathen75 said:
@horgen said:
@KungfuKitten said:

Banner, Shuri and Hank Pym are all established (Hanks age would probably eliminate him from the discussion though). Plenty more big brains in the comics just waiting to hit the big screen. Reed Richards should be hitting the MCU in a few years as well. I'd say he is Marvel's top brain.

Reed Richards is the elastic man in Fantastic Four right?

I don't doubt they are smart, I just find TS portrayed a notch above most of them.

#17 Posted by HEATHEN75 (777 posts) -

@horgen: They over did it with Stark in the movies. Probably because he was the only genius in the first 2 waves of movies. They all have their fields of expertise as well. Banner is a nuclear physicist, Pym is biochem, nanotech and robotics (Pym actually created Ultron in the comics), Hank McCoy is considered Marvel's leader in biophysics and genetics, Reed Richards is mathematics, physics and engineering and pretty much anything else he is needed to bewhen the writers need.

In Black Panther, Shuri is shown to have created tech capable of repairing a mortal wound in under a day. Not to mention the tech capable of hiding Wakanda from the rest of the world for so long. I haven't seen Stark come up with anything like that. I'd say she is right up there with the big boys of Marvel.

#18 Edited by VFighter (5115 posts) -

I might be a rarity but I enjoy both Marvel and DC movies. I loved Man of Steel and still rank it as one of the best superhero movies to date (note, one of), and really enjoyed BvS, Wonderwoman, and JL. I think the biggest problem with the DC movies is WB tried to create their universe way to quick, no real build up, not enough movies leading up to JL to get pumped up about it.

#19 Posted by npiet1 (2475 posts) -

@heathen75 said:
@horgen said:
@KungfuKitten said:

Yeah Reed it the smartest person in marvel, Reed said that Peter is just as smart as he was as a teenager. This is all in the comics though.

@heathen75 said:

@horgen: They over did it with Stark in the movies. Probably because he was the only genius in the first 2 waves of movies. They all have their fields of expertise as well. Banner is a nuclear physicist, Pym is biochem, nanotech and robotics (Pym actually created Ultron in the comics), Hank McCoy is considered Marvel's leader in biophysics and genetics, Reed Richards is mathematics, physics and engineering and pretty much anything else he is needed to bewhen the writers need.

In Black Panther, Shuri is shown to have created tech capable of repairing a mortal wound in under a day. Not to mention the tech capable of hiding Wakanda from the rest of the world for so long. I haven't seen Stark come up with anything like that. I'd say she is right up there with the big boys of Marvel.

Yeah people who watch the movies complain about supposed SJW bullshit but havn't read the comics where the inspiration comes from.

#20 Posted by TheGrat1 (4260 posts) -

I generally prefer DC characters and think their films like Man of Steel are horribly underrated but I can not concur with this.

All 4 of the Avengers films have been better than Justice League. JL just was not executed well. Snyder leaving halfway through, Whedon and Elfman changing the tone and consistency of the verse, ridiculous stipulations from the studio (two hour run time) and just a general lack of polish hold it back from reaching that level. Despite how disappointed I was in it I still found it to be generally entertaining. Just not good enough to pick up on Blu-Ray.

#21 Posted by PETERAKO (2164 posts) -

If you like it more, ok. More power to ya. But it is not better. No way.