Next year is 2020 do you think the younger you would be impressed by todays tech?

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3246 Posts

Weird question I know but I always wonder if the younger me from the early 90's would be impressed by today's tech. I think I would be disappointed that there isn't any flying cars yet but on the other hand we have VR and 3D graphics along with high speed internet. What do you think is 2020 the future you imagine or where you expecting more?

Volsung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Volsung
Member since 2019 • 386 Posts

no

Volsung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Volsung

The only thing that's become substantially better since I started getting interested in these sorts of things are mobile phones. Which happen to be the thing I care least about.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44633 Posts

Oh hell yes, absolutely yes.

I was born in the 80s. I saw personal computers come into homes, and more:

• Saw the evolution of 5.25" floppy discs to the 3.5" "floppy" disc, the advent of the optical disc (CDs, laser discs, DVD, then Bluray), and so on.
  • Saw measurements go from KB, to MB, to GB, and finally to TB.
  • I remember when video cards came around, and the best one had 32 MB of memory (!!!).
  • I went from tapes to CD's, to MP3 players the size of bricks and finally to the size of a pack of gum (or smaller).
  • I didn't have a cell phone until I was in my 20s (I think around 2004), and I didn't have a smart phone until a few years ago. I remember a pre-cell phone era.
  • Didn't have internet until I was maybe 17 (1999), and it was dial up. I wonder if kids even know the horror of dial up; the sound of logging in, the hogging of the phone line if you only had one, and the slow speeds. Playing Team Fortress CLassic on a 36.6 K modem is pretty great.
  • Got to experience pretty much every generation of video game, from 8-bit to 16 to 32 to 64 and so on.
@warmblur said:

I think I would be disappointed that there isn't any flying cars yet

Yeah I remember watching shows in the early 90s (on Discovery channel!) and they're like "We are only 10-20 years away from flying cars!" and here we are, almost 30 years later, and frankly I don't think it's going to happen.

There are some things that I am disappointed in, things that I think we'd be further along in accomplishing, but those are mostly political and social.

I think younger me was convinced we'd have colonies on the moon, Mars, and beyond by now.

As far as tech goes, I never could have imagined we would be where we are. If future me time travelled back showed me, I don't know, Crysis or ArmA 3 or Metro Exodus I would be flabbergasted.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5392 Posts

I started gaming on a Texas Instruments computer around 81 (guessing), Atari 2600 was a god send console to me and blew me away and made me a video game addict. Had I somehow had access to today's games back then...it would have melted my mind. Playing some pitfall and the BAM, God of War was tossed my way, my child-self wouldnt have been able to handle it.

Ovirew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

#6 Ovirew
Member since 2008 • 9176 Posts

Yes. Technology has improved so much, it just keeps improving by leaps and bounds. It's funny because I was watching a show from 2003 earlier tonight, and it occurred to me just how much editing and post-production for TV shows has improved from that time.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6246 Posts

Definitely.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3246 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Oh hell yes, absolutely yes.

I was born in the 80s. I saw personal computers come into homes, and more:

• Saw the evolution of 5.25" floppy discs to the 3.5" "floppy" disc, the advent of the optical disc (CDs, laser discs, DVD, then Bluray), and so on.
  • Saw measurements go from KB, to MB, to GB, and finally to TB.
  • I remember when video cards came around, and the best one had 32 MB of memory (!!!).
  • I went from tapes to CD's, to MP3 players the size of bricks and finally to the size of a pack of gum (or smaller).
  • I didn't have a cell phone until I was in my 20s (I think around 2004), and I didn't have a smart phone until a few years ago. I remember a pre-cell phone era.
  • Didn't have internet until I was maybe 17 (1999), and it was dial up. I wonder if kids even know the horror of dial up; the sound of logging in, the hogging of the phone line if you only had one, and the slow speeds. Playing Team Fortress CLassic on a 36.6 K modem is pretty great.
  • Got to experience pretty much every generation of video game, from 8-bit to 16 to 32 to 64 and so on.
@warmblur said:

I think I would be disappointed that there isn't any flying cars yet

Yeah I remember watching shows in the early 90s (on Discovery channel!) and they're like "We are only 10-20 years away from flying cars!" and here we are, almost 30 years later, and frankly I don't think it's going to happen.

There are some things that I am disappointed in, things that I think we'd be further along in accomplishing, but those are mostly political and social.

I think younger me was convinced we'd have colonies on the moon, Mars, and beyond by now.

As far as tech goes, I never could have imagined we would be where we are. If future me time travelled back showed me, I don't know, Crysis or ArmA 3 or Metro Exodus I would be flabbergasted.

Yep, I was born in 81 so I know what you're talking about it was really amazing to see all those tech advances going from SNES, to the Playstation was huge 2D to 3D jump. Also I still remember the first time I went in a AOL chat room in 95 it was a WWF one lol and I swear I still remember the first thing I typed was Papa Shango rules!!!! lol.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 6721 Posts

A mix. On one hand, cars still run on internal combustion engines, a creaking 200-year-old tech.

On the other hand, I'm typing this post on a Galaxy Note 9, which is probably many times more powerful than my old Pentium 166 tower.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PETERAKO
Member since 2007 • 2207 Posts

@warmblur: Defo. In the way of gaming I would be blown away.

Volsung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Volsung

You all must be quite a bit older than me. I just turned 26. I bought my first console (a PS3) and became really interested in consumer tech when I was 13 in 2006. There was a huge mind blowing leap between 1993 and 2006 in pretty much every area. 13 year old me would have expected a similar leap but that's not even close to what we got.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 35947 Posts

the jumps in storage in recent years are pretty staggering.

you can get 1TB+ thumb drives... which is nuts

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 2295 Posts

yes.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GoldenElementXL
Member since 2016 • 3503 Posts

I think internet speed would impress younger me far more. It used to take days to download things... I just downloaded Destiny 2, like 80GB in a matter of minutes. I used to download a 40MB album over an entire weekend.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 855 Posts

@vfighter said:

I started gaming on a Texas Instruments computer around 81 (guessing), Atari 2600 was a god send console to me and blew me away and made me a video game addict. Had I somehow had access to today's games back then...it would have melted my mind. Playing some pitfall and the BAM, God of War was tossed my way, my child-self wouldnt have been able to handle it.

Exactly this. I remember when Pong was its own system and when a controller was a stick and 1 button. If you had sat little Heathen in front of an X1 or PS4, my little head would've exploded.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 12918 Posts

Nah not really.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#17 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2076 Posts

Yup.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5392 Posts

@heathen75: That garbage pail kid fits so freaking perfectly lol.