News: Obama recess appointments ruled unconstitutional!

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/25/appeals-court-rules-obama-recess-appointments-unconstitutional/comment-page-4/

Ruled just a few hours ago. Big setback. Also, good for both parties, I think. So in the future no President, Democrat or Republican should bypass the law.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Take that Obama.

BTW the recess appointments are already expired anyway I think, but now that they've been ruled unconstitutional any policies implemented by those people may not be able to be enforced anymore.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

for some reason, i think you would have found a way to justify those actions if they were done by bush or romney

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DevilMightCry

for some reason, i think you would have found a way to justify those actions if they were done by bush or romney

BossPerson
I didn't vote for Bush. I've already stated this to be a good ruling against both parties.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 whipassmt

BossPerson

And others would likely have found a way to criticize those actions if done by Bush or my master Mitt Romney the Great.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BossPerson
[QUOTE="BossPerson"]

DevilMightCry
I didn't vote for Bush. I've already stated this to be a good ruling against both parties.

you voted for kerry? Im assuming you didnt/couldnt vote at the time then.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 whipassmt

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]

DevilMightCry

But what if the bald dude playing the guitar in your avy made those recess appointments.

I don't like recess appointments though: every recess when the appointments were made I was also the last person appointed to the b-ball team.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts
it's gon be appealed no doubt in any event, i would be fine with this being upheld for ANY president maybe that's just because I like my government to, you know, function
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DevilMightCry
[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="BossPerson"]

BossPerson

I voted for Al Gore. Didn't vote in 2004. I am 32.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

BossPerson

Haha. Sounds like a good guess.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrPraline
scratch that
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BossPerson
[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="DevilMightCry"] I didn't vote for Bush. I've already stated this to be a good ruling against both parties.

dafaq happened to you
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BossPerson

so i guess you do become more conservate as you become older

Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
this is insulting. obama should b able 2 do anything
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
while i agree with the ruling.. it'd be nice if congress got their heads out of their a--es and at least had the hearing to get people confirmed... there should be another check on congress.. something like if congress doesn't act to rule on the confirmation of appointments in X number of days/weeks, the president can appoint whomever they see fit... keep the ball rolling.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrPraline
[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="BossPerson"]you voted for kerry? Im assuming you didnt/couldnt vote at the time then. BossPerson

dafaq happened to you

He probably watched that agitprop film Gore made.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
Wonder when OT conservatives will post "hurr, let's wait until the supreme court" like they with appeals court rulings on Obamacare
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DevilMightCry

BossPerson
I agreed more with Conservative and Libertarian positions. I also found the constant hatred of Bush by mainstream news and Media repulsive that made me question a lot of my own views as a Democrat. I was on the hate train myself especially after the election and then Iraq war. There was a lot of BS being fed to me, and I just saw through it, and matured I guess.
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

OBAMA IS A GODLESS COMMUNIST FROM KENYA!!!!111 BIG GOVERNMENT IS SOCALISM NEW WORLD ORDER!!11

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
[QUOTE="BossPerson"]

DevilMightCry
I agreed more with Conservative and Libertarian positions. I also found the constant hatred of Bush by mainstream news and Media repulsive that made me question a lot of my own views as a Democrat. I was on the hate train myself especially after the election and then Iraq war. There was a lot of BS being fed to me, and I just saw through it, and matured I guess.

or took the "everyone's hating on bush, i gotta be different" approach. :P
Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
the only reason it was ruled unconstitutional was because obama is black
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrPraline
[QUOTE="BossPerson"]

DevilMightCry

Good for you for seeing through the agitprop. I guess you also realised now that Obama is carrying out the same foreign policy that the media hated so much under Bush? And where is their outrage now? Right.
Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Abbeten
huh. i must have missed the part where obama ordered an extensive ground war, occupation, and nation building effort on two separate occasions
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 whipassmt

while i agree with the ruling.. it'd be nice if congress got their heads out of their a--es and at least had the hearing to get people confirmed... there should be another check on congress.. something like if congress doesn't act to rule on the confirmation of appointments in X number of days/weeks, the president can appoint whomever they see fit... keep the ball rolling. comp_atkins
Actually I think Obama used the recess appointments only 10 hours after notifying the senate of the nominations of three people, so it makes sense they never voted on those guys. The other recess appointment, I think Obama had given the Senate more time on him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Good for you for seeing through the agitprop. I guess you also realised now that Obama is carrying out the same foreign policy that the media hated so much under Bush? And where is their outrage now? Right.MrPraline
haha, funny sh1t. If anything foreign policy is the only thing Obama is doing differently than Bush.

Maybe you should go back to drone strike jokes?

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrPraline

[QUOTE="MrPraline"]Good for you for seeing through the agitprop. I guess you also realised now that Obama is carrying out the same foreign policy that the media hated so much under Bush? And where is their outrage now? Right.Aljosa23

haha, funny sh1t. If anything foreign policy is the only thing Obama is doing differently than Bush.

Hah yeah, the difference is that he killed a whole lot more people, if you want to split hairs. ;}
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DevilMightCry

MrPraline

Good for you for seeing through the agitprop. I guess you also realised now that Obama is carrying out the same foreign policy that the media hated so much under Bush? And where is their outrage now? Right.

My position hasn't changed on Foreign policy one bit. We need to get out of these countries and focus on domestic issues, while maintaining intelligence gathering. I dont disagree with Obama on every issue you know. Just 85% apparently according to that quiz. :D
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrPraline
Maybe you should go back to drone strike jokes?Aljosa23
I'm not following a plan here, drinking a sh*tty month away and Obama is a decent target to rage at in 2013.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrPraline
[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="DevilMightCry"] I agreed more with Conservative and Libertarian positions. I also found the constant hatred of Bush by mainstream news and Media repulsive that made me question a lot of my own views as a Democrat. I was on the hate train myself especially after the election and then Iraq war. There was a lot of BS being fed to me, and I just saw through it, and matured I guess.

My position hasn't changed on Foreign policy one bit. We need to get out of these countries and focus on domestic issues, while maintaining intelligence gathering. I dont disagree with Obama on every issue you know. Just 85% apparently according to that quiz. :D

What about his drone strikes (BLAME ALJOSA)?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="MrPraline"]Good for you for seeing through the agitprop. I guess you also realised now that Obama is carrying out the same foreign policy that the media hated so much under Bush? And where is their outrage now? Right.MrPraline

Hah yeah, the difference is that he killed a whole lot more people, if you want to split hairs. ;}

ffffffffff I should have inb4'd

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 whipassmt

huh. i must have missed the part where obama ordered an extensive ground war, occupation, and nation building effort on two separate occasionsAbbeten
He ordered a surge in Afghanistan. He ordered U.S. planes to participate in Libya. He kept Gates as Secretary of Defense.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Abbeten

[QUOTE="Abbeten"]huh. i must have missed the part where obama ordered an extensive ground war, occupation, and nation building effort on two separate occasionswhipassmt

He ordered a surge in Afghanistan. He ordered U.S. planes to participate in Libya. He kept Gates as Secretary of Defense.

A surge which was drawn down, and happened in a situation he inherited. Which is different than having a blank slate. Not to mention that he is keeping to the timetable for departure. Libya doesn't meet a single criterion that I laid out but thanks for reading. Keeping Gates was mostly symbolic. He wanted to show that he was willing to surround himself with both Democrats and Republicans. Not exactly a major extension of Bush foreign policy.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

This is a good thing. This was a bad practice and you'd have to be blindly supporting Obama not to think so.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrPraline

[QUOTE="Abbeten"]huh. i must have missed the part where obama ordered an extensive ground war, occupation, and nation building effort on two separate occasionswhipassmt

Yup. Reminds of what Tariq Ramadan (i know, i know) said: "As many of you know the images of the campaign are still vivid. Big, large mobilizations in the United States, of young people primarily. Desperate for change. And the slogan of that campaign change we can believe in. Change Change Change. But what has changed and what hasn't changed. There has of course been a change in the presidency, and we can't complain too much about that. There is a new vice-president also in the United States, and we can't complain too much about that. But the Defense Secretary is the same. That's the guy who sits in the pentagon and organizes wars, and the reason he was kept on was to show that there is, there are both elements of discontinuity at the top and very strong elements of continuity. And the reason for that, is that if you wear Caesars clothes, you must behave like Caesar."
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Obama doesn't seem to be taking foreign policy differently than Bush.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DevilMightCry
[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="Abbeten"]huh. i must have missed the part where obama ordered an extensive ground war, occupation, and nation building effort on two separate occasionsMrPraline

Yup. Reminds of what Tariq Ramadan (i know, i know) said: "As many of you know the images of the campaign are still vivid. Big, large mobilizations in the United States, of young people primarily. Desperate for change. And the slogan of that campaign change we can believe in. Change Change Change. But what has changed and what hasn't changed. There has of course been a change in the presidency, and we can't complain too much about that. There is a new vice-president also in the United States, and we can't complain too much about that. But the Defense Secretary is the same. That's the guy who sits in the pentagon and organizes wars, and the reason he was kept on was to show that there is, there are both elements of discontinuity at the top and very strong elements of continuity. And the reason for that, is that if you wear Caesars clothes, you must behave like Caesar."

Ohh, please. Not another "he's just a puppet controlled by secret society/nwo/military industrial complex". I know you're just quoting it, but that's what I think of it.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="whipassmt"] He ordered a surge in Afghanistan. He ordered U.S. planes to participate in Libya. He kept Gates as Secretary of Defense.DevilMightCry

Ohh, please. Not another "he's just a puppet controlled by secret society/nwo/military industrial complex". I know you're just quoting it, but that's what I think of it.

That's far from a fair interpretation of what was quoted.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I was like "WTF?" when I read the title, and then I entered the thread and saw appeals court, then I lol'd. This won't hold up.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DevilMightCry
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="MrPraline"] Yup. Reminds of what Tariq Ramadan (i know, i know) said: "As many of you know the images of the campaign are still vivid. Big, large mobilizations in the United States, of young people primarily. Desperate for change. And the slogan of that campaign change we can believe in. Change Change Change. But what has changed and what hasn't changed. There has of course been a change in the presidency, and we can't complain too much about that. There is a new vice-president also in the United States, and we can't complain too much about that. But the Defense Secretary is the same. That's the guy who sits in the pentagon and organizes wars, and the reason he was kept on was to show that there is, there are both elements of discontinuity at the top and very strong elements of continuity. And the reason for that, is that if you wear Caesars clothes, you must behave like Caesar."

What else is it. That Obama can't appoint anyone, else, or change course? That, there are forces in government that dictate that you must adhere to politicians will, and special interest? It's actually very simple. Obama did whatever benefitted him in the long run, and if that meant changing view on gay marriage, or war in middle east, campaign financing, etc... so be it. There is no "Ceaser" outfit that every President must wear. It makes for good conspiracy conversation, but reality is much different.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
He needs to keep his Kenyan ideology to himself.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

OBAMA IS A GODLESS COMMUNIST FROM KENYA!!!!111 BIG GOVERNMENT IS SOCALISM NEW WORLD ORDER!!11

osirisx3

r/pyongyang is that way ---->

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Abbeten

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="DevilMightCry"] Ohh, please. Not another "he's just a puppet controlled by secret society/nwo/military industrial complex". I know you're just quoting it, but that's what I think of it. DevilMightCry

What else is it. That Obama can't appoint anyone, else, or change course? That, there are forces in government that dictate that you must adhere to politicians will, and special interest? It's actually very simple. Obama did whatever benefitted him in the long run, and if that meant changing view on gay marriage, or war in middle east, campaign financing, etc... so be it. There is no "Ceaser" outfit that every President must wear. It makes for good conspiracy conversation, but reality is much different.

i think it was more along the lines of obama having 'put on caesars clothes' by retaining bush's defense secretary, and he can pretend to be different and such, but you know

Lotus-Edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lotus-Edge
Member since 2008 • 50513 Posts

I was like "WTF?" when I read the title, and then I entered the thread and saw appeals court, then I lol'd. This won't hold up.

theone86

This.

I thought only the Supreme Court could rule presidential actions unconstitutional....

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 theone86

it's gon be appealed no doubt in any event, i would be fine with this being upheld for ANY president maybe that's just because I like my government to, you know, functionAbbeten

If the government was functional then the Congress wouldn't have threatened to hold up every single one of President Obama's appointments and he never would have had to resort to recess appointments in the first place. It's such an easy, procedural thing, but even something like that gets held up and kicked down the line until by the time they actually resolve the issue the appointments have expired. It's essentially a vote for these people not being appointed at all, which fits in great with the Republican agenda because they don't want the entities they were appointed to to function in the first place.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MrPraline

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]That's far from a fair interpretation of what was quoted. Abbeten

i think it was more along the lines of obama having 'put on caesars clothes' by retaining bush's defense secretary, and he can pretend to be different and such, but you know

Lmao, great clip/reference. And agreed. I don't think Tariq was refering to a new world order or conspiracy. Caesar's clothes = the US presidency.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

Lotus-Edge

This.

I thought only the Supreme Court could rule presidential actions unconstitutional....

Not really, but if there's a lot of ambiguity and contention then the SC has the final say.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="DevilMightCry"] Ohh, please. Not another "he's just a puppet controlled by secret society/nwo/military industrial complex". I know you're just quoting it, but that's what I think of it. DevilMightCry

It doesn't take a conspiracy theory or the illuminati to conclude that the president does not have full reign over the military and foreign affairs - especially a president with little experience dealing with the politics of the defense department and DC in general. The people who work at the pentagon have their own agendas, and they sometimes don't align with those of the White House. Bill Clinton wanted to end the discrimination of gays in the military in the early 90's but Colin Powell told him no, so he backed down. Obama wanted to do the same thing - only difference was that Michael Mullen said he was alright with it. Had the admiral told him no like Colin Powell did before him Obama would've had no chance of ending DADT, despite being "commander-in-chief".

In 2009 when the white house was debating what course of action to take in Afghanistan, Stanley McChrystalleaked his classified recommendation to the press, putting enormous pressure on Obama to follow through with McChrystal's plan in wholesale. There is a cult of personality surrounding the career military figures in this country (see: Colin Powell, David Patreaus) - what they say is revered, and that diminishes the clout of the presidency. And on top of that they and their friends stay in DC for quite some time. Look at everyone in Obama's cabinet and tell me how many of them didn't work for Bill Clinton. Look at everyone in Bush's cabinet and tell me how many of them didn't work for his father. The government is nothing if not a huge bureaucracy - changing the guy at the top can only change so much.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MrPraline

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]That's far from a fair interpretation of what was quoted. -Sun_Tzu-

It doesn't take a conspiracy theory or the illuminati to conclude that the president does not have full reign over the military and foreign affairs - especially a president with little experience dealing with the politics of the defense department and DC in general. The people who work at the pentagon have their own agendas, and they sometimes don't align with those of the White House. Bill Clinton wanted to end the discrimination of gays in the military in the early 90's but Colin Powell told him no, so he backed down. Obama wanted to do the same thing - only difference was that Michael Mullen said he was alright with it. Had the admiral told him no like Colin Powell did before him Obama would've had no chance of ending DADT, despite being "commander-in-chief".

In 2009 when the white house was debating what course of action to take in Afghanistan, Stanley McChrystalleaked his classified recommendation to the press, putting enormous pressure on Obama to follow through with McChrystal's plan in wholesale. There is a cult of personality surrounding the career military figures in this country (see: Colin Powell, David Patreaus) - what they say is revered, and that diminishes the clout of the presidency. And on top of that they and their friends stay in DC for quite some time. Look at everyone in Obama's cabinet and tell me how many of them didn't work for Bill Clinton. Look at everyone in Bush's cabinet and tell me how many of them didn't work for his father. The government is nothing if not a huge bureaucracy - changing the guy at the top can only change so much.

Fantastic post. Thanks.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Good.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#50 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
I'd be totally okay with recess appointments being declared unconstitutional if the abuse of the filibuster was dealt with. Sadly, because Democrats remain ginormous "wimps", that's unlikely to happen.