New YouTube layout...Yay or Nay?

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by jaqulle999 (2897 posts) -

The youtube button seems way to small. It is reallly annoying me for some reason. The rest of the new stuff is fine but I would prefer if they just picked one layout and stuck with it.

#102 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="PinkiePirate"][QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]How the hell do you browse like the most watched videos and stuff with this new layout?V4LENT1NE
YouTube is trying to be more like a social network, so you only see videos and actions of people you subscribe to.

Why the hell did they do that?!?!

Google, dude. Google.

#103 Posted by Big_Pecks (5972 posts) -

Pretty bad. It's really unorganized and cluttered now. The avatars are stupid as well.

#104 Posted by tepni (3214 posts) -

The new one looks a lot better. Functions the same pretty much. Every time they tweak it just a bit people complain and wish it'd go back to normal, and then they get used to it and love it, and then hate the new change, so on. The cycle never ends. MAN.

#105 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

The new one looks a lot better. Functions the same pretty much. Every time they tweak it just a bit people complain and wish it'd go back to normal, and then they get used to it and love it, and then hate the new change, so on. The cycle never ends. MAN.

tepni

I'm on a 23'' screen. 50% of it is blank and I have to zoom in to read anything. It's a sh!t change.

#106 Posted by TTGSteve (31 posts) -

Nay.

#107 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -
So bad. What's with all the empty space on the righthand side?
#108 Posted by Shmiity (6095 posts) -

The old layout. I have been okay with every old layout the past 4067 different layouts they have had. Then again, it's a free service, and I have no say in what they do. I'll get used to it.

#109 Posted by PinkiePirate (1973 posts) -

[QUOTE="tepni"]

wis3boi

I'm on a 23'' screen. 50% of it is blank and I have to zoom in to read anything. It's a sh!t change.

50% of it would still be blank if the same content was centered.
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
#110 Posted by MetroidPrimePwn (12399 posts) -

It's better, but I'm not a fan of the social network wannabe features.

The fact that the channel pages are still center aligned while the entire rest of the website is lef aligned is pretty weird. I get that they would want to keep channel pages mostly un-messed-around-with so that their big content providers wouldn't have problems adjusting, but it just has a really weird impact on the usability of the whole operation.

Playlists are much much MUCH better now.

I like how the design is lighter and color contrast is bolder.

The what to watch page is terrible and I'm changing my favorites link to send me to my subscription page instead when I go to YouTube.

Avatar image for invisibletearsx
#111 Posted by invisibletearsx (997 posts) -

Nay. Hot mess.

#112 Posted by Dexter-010 (494 posts) -
I prefer the other lay-out. But when the other lay-out was new I said the same thiing about that lay-out.
#113 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="tepni"]

PinkiePirate

It's still a better layout. Not perfect, but better. After having two semesters in web design on these very issues (courses were titled Human Comptuer Interaction) and actually doing user tests to find issues like this with random volunteers, the new youtube design fails just about every criteria for a good layout.

#114 Posted by PinkiePirate (1973 posts) -

[QUOTE="PinkiePirate"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

It's still a better layout. Not perfect, but better. After having two semesters in web design on these very issues (courses were titled Human Comptuer Interaction) and actually doing user tests to find issues like this with random volunteers, the new youtube design fails just about every criteria for a good layout.

Hey, I do web and graphic design too. And I agree with you that the alignment looks bad on larger screens with higher resolutions. The aesthetics have improved though. It looks more clean and unified.
#115 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="PinkiePirate"] 50% of it would still be blank if the same content was centered.PinkiePirate

Hey, I do web and graphic design too. And I agree with you that the alignment looks bad on larger screens with higher resolutions. The aesthetics have improved though. It looks more clean and unified.

I miss the main page showing videos I might like on the right side...now its just channles I might like...bleh >_>

#116 Posted by PinkiePirate (1973 posts) -

[QUOTE="PinkiePirate"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

I miss the main page showing videos I might like on the right side...now its just channles I might like...bleh >_>

Yeah. If Google is making YouTube more like a social network, they should put "trending" videos on the side.
#117 Posted by metroidfood (11175 posts) -

The new playlists are nice, but the shuffle seems to be bugged. After 2 videos it automatically turns off and I have to keep enabling it or listen to tracks in the same order every time.

Between this and hiding all my subscriptions they've killed most of my reasons for going to the site.

#118 Posted by bobbetybob (19370 posts) -

[QUOTE="PinkiePirate"]

As expected, everyone hates it. This is exactly what happened with the last change. I think it's a big improvement. The last design was clunky and looked dated. Everything is cleaner and it feels like a more unified experience.

metroidfood

I don't mind the design, I just hate them hiding all my subscriptions behind a massive wall of cluttered recommendations and comments.

Misfits sig, awesome. I still don't understand why Youtube defaults stuff the way it does, why would I care about the activity of channels I'm subscribed to? I'm subscribed to a 40-ish year old black guy, I like HIS videos because he's funny, but why would we share interests? It's completely illogical.
#119 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2793 posts) -

Horrible. Absolutely horrible. It looks and feel worse for every update they do.

Youtube is one of the most hostile sites I've ever visited. They just keep changing their layout for the worse and everytime they do, I just keep using less and less functions since I can't be bothered finding and relearning all over again. You'd think that considering how big Youtube is, they wouldn't **** around on such a massige scale...

#120 Posted by PinkiePirate (1973 posts) -

A fix was released to center the content. I can confirm that it works flawlessly on the latest versions of Chrome and Firefox.

http://www.freewaresquad.com/2012/12/08/how-to-center-the-new-youtube-layout/

Center-aligned-YouTube.png

#121 Posted by NirdBerd (2113 posts) -

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/6725/46242273.jpg

46242273.jpg

Jebus213

I've had this crappy layout for about 2-3 months now, I want the video centered wtf

#122 Posted by Celldrax (15043 posts) -

A fix was released to center the content. I can confirm that it works flawlessly on the latest versions of Chrome and Firefox.

PinkiePirate

Hallelujah! It is now tolerable.

Thanks for that.

#123 Posted by LLYNCES (378 posts) -

I like the older layout better, though this new one will grow on me and I'll probably come to perfer it eventually. It was the same when they changed it before as I hated it at first but grew to like it a lot more.

#124 Posted by helwa1988 (2157 posts) -
I like the addition of profile pictures next to comments. But I don't like that annoying box on the left while watching the video.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
#125 Posted by JasonDarksavior (9323 posts) -
We'll all get used to it and eventually like it.
#126 Posted by PiscesChick93 (10724 posts) -

We'll all get used to it and eventually like it. JasonDarksavior

I can just see it now - when it updates again; "I hate it! I want the old one back." :P

#127 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"]We'll all get used to it and eventually like it. PiscesChick93

I can just see it now - when it updates again; "I hate it! I want the old one back." :P

I doubt that, I very much doubt that.

[spoiler] For me anyways. [/spoiler]

#128 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (5000 posts) -
I can't stand it. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to not have everything centered? It looks awful. I sent them feedback saying that. Everyone else should too.
#129 Posted by gameofthering (11117 posts) -

Wheres the button for "Most recent uploads"?

I only see "Uploaded today" which sucks.

#130 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

Center-aligned-YouTube.png

PinkiePirate

Gettin' better, still pretty bad though :P

#131 Posted by 1Rob-E (116 posts) -

Nay!

#132 Posted by soulless4now (41388 posts) -

Nah, I find it extremely annoying.

#133 Posted by BarryHalls (25 posts) -
can anyone tell me how to find the top 100 music videos list in this new layout?
#134 Posted by Crushmaster (4324 posts) -

I strongly dislike it, and I wish they'd leave it alone. I haven't liked any of the changes they've made, minus the "Feed" on channels.
God bless,
Crushmaster.

#135 Posted by Ratchet_Fan8 (5557 posts) -
THEY TOOK AWAY THE REPLAY BUTTON!!! unacceptable!!!
#136 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -
Nay I don't like it
#137 Posted by chaplainDMK (7004 posts) -
It looks the same to me, just a bit more modernish.
#138 Posted by Wolf-Man2006 (4187 posts) -

I honestly don't care as long as youtube plays videos

#139 Posted by Swanogt19 (24159 posts) -
Meh.
#140 Posted by CHOASXIII (14696 posts) -

No, it sucks as usual but Youtube doesn't care if people complain they will just continue on making it worse and worse.

#141 Posted by gameofthering (11117 posts) -

The update in a nutshell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcNlN5nSOA8&feature=g-high-u

#142 Posted by Temesra (150 posts) -

I've been a part of Youtube for almost 5 years now. I've been through many layout changes: 5 homepage renovations, 2 channel renovations, getting rid of bulletins, moving descriptions from the side of the page to below the video, subscription changes, the removal of the friends list, the addition (and subsequent removal of) personal groups, getting rid of moving avy's, etc.

Everytime it's changed, people complain, people moan, people cry, people b*tch, people just generally don't shut up. Even right now, every couple of videos, the top comment is someone complaining about the changes and their 100+ likes.

I don't mind the new layout. I never do. Give me a day or two, and I'll know it just as well as the old layout and there will be no complaints because I'll find some new convenience I like, I always do.

WiiCubeM1
Get firefox and use addons that customize the layout and color of website to how you want it, And problem solved .
#143 Posted by cell_dweller (19855 posts) -
Still too much wasted space if you ask me.
#144 Posted by biggest_loser (24266 posts) -
I don't like it at all. It was fine before.
#145 Posted by lonewolfman10 (528 posts) -

Nay, the older layout was so much better

Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
#146 Posted by jesuschristmonk (3308 posts) -

Last layout. Things feel too bundled together with this new one.

I don't understand why we can't have our own homepage, or at least customize what we want/don't want to see on the homepage, instead of having to deal with it changing every few months...

#147 Posted by Inconsistancy (8094 posts) -

Last layout. Things feel too bundled together with this new one.

I don't understand why we can't have our own homepage, or at least customize what we want/don't want to see on the homepage, instead of having to deal with it changing every few months...

jesuschristmonk

You can revert the layout, plenty of videos on it.

If chrome though, you can download the extension "Edit This Cookie", go to Youtube's homepage, click the extension and go to "VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE | .youtube.com" click it, and replace the text in the value box with "qDpUsBNO0FY" (w/o quotes).

#148 Posted by lensflare15 (6608 posts) -

It's not anything special, but I've gotten used to it just like all the other Youtube redesigns.

#149 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
plain out terrible.... IF i was a youtube partner with tons of videos I would be mad.