New technology could prevent drink driving.

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I don't think people realize how dangerous cars are. They need to issue lifetime bans, that might sober people up.

Leejjohno

They do issue lifetime bans depending on the circumstances.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Someone should make it so that the wheel can sense how much alcohol is in your system. If its too much, then the car wont move.
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

[QUOTE="Leejjohno"]

I don't think people realize how dangerous cars are. They need to issue lifetime bans, that might sober people up.

Pirate700

They do issue lifetime bans depending on the circumstances.

If thats the case then people need to be banned from drinking.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Pirate700

Someone should make it so that the wheel can sense how much alcohol is in your system. If its too much, then the car wont move.Capitan_Kid
I think that's what this is.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#105 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Leejjohno

I agree, cars continue to ride smoother and you have full climate controls so it's easy to develop a false since of security. People just need to stay sober, slow down, and just good choices. It's not that hard to drive safely.

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#106 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

Install abreathalyzer that enables or disables the car in every single vehicle. It would be annoying but they only take a few seconds to operate

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Right, just like flying cars and teleportation. Its existance doesn't mean anything.

Pirate700

The difference is that there are actual self-driving cars roaming the streets of America as we speak.

I could see it one day finding its place in the commercial industry (trucking) some day in the future but I can't ever see them in a serious role in the consumer market.

Why not? I see a huge potential market for them, especially as the population ages and people become less capable of actually driving. There's already a market for things like chauffeuring and air chartering - I see no reason why the essence of these services can't be offered to the plebs.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] The difference is that there are actual self-driving cars roaming the streets of America as we speak. -Sun_Tzu-

I could see it one day finding its place in the commercial industry (trucking) some day in the future but I can't ever see them in a serious role in the consumer market.

Why not? I see a huge potential market for them, especially as the population ages and people become less capable of actually driving. There's already a market for things like chauffeuring and air chartering - I see no reason why the essence of these services can't be offered to the plebs.

I wouldn't mind seeing them for the disabled and elderly. I'd be all for it. A computer has to control their Buick better than some of them can.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]I could see it one day finding its place in the commercial industry (trucking) some day in the future but I can't ever see them in a serious role in the consumer market.

Pirate700

I wouldn't mind seeing them for the disabled and elderly. I'd be all for it. A computer has to control their Buick better than some of them can.

Well the thing is these cars are already looking to be safer than any human-controlled car. According to google they've gone 300,000 driver-less miles accident free. The only accident one of their cars caused was when it was being controlled manually by a human, and there was another accident where one of their cars was rear-ended by another driver.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

[QUOTE="Leejjohno"]

Yusuke420

I agree, cars continue to ride smoother and you have full climate controls so it's easy to develop a false since of security. People just need to stay sober, slow down, and just good choices. It's not that hard to drive safely.

With today's safety crash test ratings you REALLY have to drive to kill yourself in a brand new car.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="Leejjohno"]

Fightingfan

With today's safety crash test ratings you REALLY have to drive to kill yourself in a brand new car.

Safety crash test ratings really do a poor job of gauging how safe a car is, because they fail to take into account the human element. One of the paradoxes of automobile safety is that the safer you make a car, people tend to drive more recklessly with said car.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#112 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

They already have that thing where you have to blow into some sensor before the car starts. But they only use that for past convicts.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Well the thing is these cars are already looking to be safer than any human-controlled car. According to google they've gone 300,000 driver-less miles accident free. The only accident one of their cars caused was when it was being controlled manually by a human, and there was another accident where one of their cars was rear-ended by another driver.

Still, there's no way that those kinds of cars will be mandatory. At least for the near future, those automated cars are simply going to be optional. And regardless of how safe they are, there's still the question of how many people will want them. Oh, I'm sure there'll be a market for them, but it's not exactly like they're going to be taking over the roads. Not any time soon, at least.
Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Well the thing is these cars are already looking to be safer than any human-controlled car. According to google they've gone 300,000 driver-less miles accident free. The only accident one of their cars caused was when it was being controlled manually by a human, and there was another accident where one of their cars was rear-ended by another driver. MrGeezer
Still, there's no way that those kinds of cars will be mandatory. At least for the near future, those automated cars are simply going to be optional. And regardless of how safe they are, there's still the question of how many people will want them. Oh, I'm sure there'll be a market for them, but it's not exactly like they're going to be taking over the roads. Not any time soon, at least.

I coulda used one when I drove up route 15 from orange county in cali, to 70, and then all the way to Indiana in one sitting.

TBH I could see a day when the highways around major cities requires automated car handling. Imagine how smooth traffic would be!
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"] TBH I could see a day when the highways around major cities requires automated car handling. Imagine how smooth traffic would be!

I could see that happening eventually, but not for decades. It's not gonna be required until most people have already switched over to fully automatic cars, and it's gonna take quite a while for that to happen.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#116 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
dont put hand sanitizer on it
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#117 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"]It's a preventative measure, nothing more to it.Zeviander
Make kevlar vests into regular clothing to "prevent" shooting deaths. Dull all knives to "prevent" accidental finger amputation. Pad all cars with rubber to "prevent" pedestrian death.

A nanny state will only continue to suffocate the lives out if it's citizenry as long as they want protection from themselves.

They were fvcking terrible analogies

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

For a person who person who has a passion for driving sports cars this is stupid.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

As a car guy I'd hate to see this happen, and for a number of reasons I don't think it will happen.

1. Basic cars are relatvely simple to make, I've never made a car but I understand the theory and principles of how a lot of the parts work and I imagine that given the right tools and equipment I'd be able to make one. Even if the big manufacturers stop selling manual control cars smaller manufcaturers will probably still find customers.

2. People like driving too much (including me), to a lot of people cars are not just tools, they are a part of our culture and the love of them is in our blood. They will be around well past our life time.

3. It doesn't make any logistial sense. Unless the government plans to ban all manual controled cars overnight and make everyone purchase an autonomous car it just wont workout. This'll probably mean that cars don't actively 'talk' to each other but use sensory information instead to judge distance, road position etc.

4. The best driving roads usually have the least people. Most autonomous cars will probably be for commuters and therefore will rarely run into drivers' cars.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"]It's a preventative measure, nothing more to it.chaoscougar1

Make kevlar vests into regular clothing to "prevent" shooting deaths. Dull all knives to "prevent" accidental finger amputation. Pad all cars with rubber to "prevent" pedestrian death.

A nanny state will only continue to suffocate the lives out if it's citizenry as long as they want protection from themselves.

They were fvcking terrible analogies

Actually they were good analagies. You are just a sheep following alarmist government who makes too many "rules".

It shows what the state could do if people kept freaking out.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="Yusuke420"] I agree, cars continue to ride smoother and you have full climate controls so it's easy to develop a false since of security. People just need to stay sober, slow down, and just good choices. It's not that hard to drive safely.

-Sun_Tzu-

Safety crash test ratings really do a poor job of gauging how safe a car is, because they fail to take into account the human element. One of the paradoxes of automobile safety is that the safer you make a car, people tend to drive more recklessly with said car.

True. Can't idiot proof everything, and I mean't "try" not "Drive" that typo bothered me :P
Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Crunchy_Nuts

I could see it one day finding its place in the commercial industry (trucking) in the future but I can't ever see them in a serious role in the consumer market.

Pirate700

I'd probably have an autonomous car as a daily driver. Most journeys are incredibly boring and I'd rather have the option of doing something interesting (eg. read a book, watch a movie, eat etc.) rather that stare out of the wind shield. Then I'd have my driving car for when I want to enjoy the drive.

nstall abreathalyzer that enables or disables the car in every single vehicle. It would be annoying but they only take a few seconds to operateThe_Gaming_Baby

What happens if you have a car full of drunk passengers but a sober driver?

For a person who person who has a passion for driving sports cars this is stupid.

GOGOGOGURT

I think autonomous cars would be good for car people. It means bad drivers wont ruin your drive for you any more.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Yusuke420

Jeez, can't stop using guns, can't stop driving cars, can't stop smoking tobacco. It's like you people want people to die just so some can enjoy dangerous hobbies. What if we get to a point where we all have avatars that do these things and we just have our brains stimulated to think we are actually experiencing them? You can have all of the thrill and none of the risk!

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Crunchy_Nuts

Jeez, can't stop using guns, can't stop driving cars, can't stop smoking tobacco. It's like you people want people to die just so some can enjoy dangerous hobbies. What if we get to a point where we all have avatars that do these things and we just have our brains stimulated to think we are actually experiencing them? You can have all of the thrill and none of the risk!

Yusuke420
I think you're just a wimp who's scared to do anything that involves any risk. You sound like you'd love the British government, they keep us safe and do our thinking for us so we don't have to.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Crunchy_Nuts

I think you're just a wimp who's scared to do anything that involves any risk. You sound like you'd love the British government, they keep us safe and do our thinking for us so we don't have to.

Why would I want to risk my life for a cheap thril, there's plenty of low risk things to do and I like that the british government is proactive in mitigating dangerous activities. I'm sorry the fact that I want to live more then smoke a ton of cigs or drive at 100 MPH offends your sensibilities some much.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Crunchy_Nuts

[QUOTE="Crunchy_Nuts"][QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Yusuke420

Why would I want to risk my life for a cheap thril, there's plenty of low risk things to do and I like that the british government is proactive in mitigating dangerous activities. I'm sorry the fact that I want to live more then smoke a ton of cigs or drive at 100 MPH offends your sensibilities some much.

The world would be a worse place if everyone tried to avoid risk and always took the safe option.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Yusuke420

Why? boredom? I know plenty of fun things to do that don't involve guns, alcohol, or tobacco. I'm not some straight edge person or anything, but I like to live and doing things that are inherently against that in my mind sounds silly. Please though fill me in on what I am missing by not going over the top with risk everyday of my life?

We all take risk, but I'm smart enough to not take risk that puts me at a serious disadvantage.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Crunchy_Nuts

Why? boredom? I know plenty of fun things to do that don't involve guns, alcohol, or tobacco. I'm not some straight edge person or anything, but I like to live and doing things that are inherently against that in my mind sounds silly. Please though fill me in on what I am missing by not going over the top with risk everyday of my life?

We all take risk, but I'm smart enough to not take risk that puts me at a serious disadvantage.

Yusuke420
Most risk can be mitigated with common sense. Why get government involved in something which all reasonable people should be able to handle by themselves?
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Crunchy_Nuts

Most risk can be mitigated with common sense. Why get government involved in something which all reasonable people should be able to handle by themselves?

People have consistantly proven that they can't mitigate the risk though. The government tells people they shouldn't do stuff like smoking and driving over the speed limit and they do it anyway. It's like they need someone to lord over them so they don't hurt themselves or those around them. If your assumption was correct, the amount of Tobacco related deaths, traffic fatalities, and DWI manslaughter case would be zero.

Simply put, government exists because most people aren't smart enough or physically able to take care of themselves. Government isn't a bad thing, in most cases it's a force for good in this world and only has the best intentions at heart. We can debate the inactment of those policies all day, but I'd think you'd agree that governments structured like the US and GB genuninely want to make their populace healthy, happy, safe, and productive.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#132 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Jeez, can't stop using guns, can't stop driving cars, can't stop smoking tobacco. It's like you people want people to die just so some can enjoy dangerous hobbies. What if we get to a point where we all have avatars that do these things and we just have our brains stimulated to think we are actually experiencing them? You can have all of the thrill and none of the risk!Yusuke420
The moral of this story: Some humans like making the choices about how to live their lives, and find the idea of a government saving them from themselves anathema to what it means to be human. Life isn't about surviving until you die. Life is about living life to it's fullest. How old are you btw?
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]Jeez, can't stop using guns, can't stop driving cars, can't stop smoking tobacco. It's like you people want people to die just so some can enjoy dangerous hobbies. What if we get to a point where we all have avatars that do these things and we just have our brains stimulated to think we are actually experiencing them? You can have all of the thrill and none of the risk!Zeviander
The moral of this story: Some humans like making the choices about how to live their lives, and find the idea of a government saving them from themselves anathema to what it means to be human. Life isn't about surviving until you die. Life is about living life to it's fullest. How old are you btw?

I'm 25, so I have drove fast and partied hard for 5 years. Now I just want to make it to retirement without being blind sided by a drunk or getting lung cancer from tobacco users.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Zeviander
Simply put, government exists because most people aren't smart enough or physically able to take care of themselves. Yusuke420
Then why not just let nature take it's course and relieve ourselves of their burden upon us? If people are not fit to survive upon their own ability, or those close relations willing to support them, then why take from the able and give to the not-able?
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Zeviander
I'm 25, so I have drove fast and partied hard for 5 years. Now I just want to make it to retirement without being blind sided by a drunk or getting lung cancer from tobacco users.Yusuke420
Then you may as well move to a remote hermitage, because life is not going to be predictable, nor will it be fair.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]Simply put, government exists because most people aren't smart enough or physically able to take care of themselves. Zeviander
Then why not just let nature take it's course and relieve ourselves of their burden upon us? If people are not fit to survive upon their own ability, or those close relations willing to support them, then why take from the able and give to the not-able?

That's an increibly short sighted view of things. If you allow something like that to take place, you could very easily prevent the human race from continuing to exist. At least at the population level we do now. If you believe that everyone has a right to life, then surely you can see why it is imperitive that we try to preserve that life by any means we have at our disposal.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Zeviander
If you believe that everyone has a right to life, then surely you can see why it is imperitive that we try to preserve that life by any means we have at our disposal.Yusuke420
Why is it my responsibility to maintain the life of another? Why am I not only responsible for my life and mine alone?
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]If you believe that everyone has a right to life, then surely you can see why it is imperitive that we try to preserve that life by any means we have at our disposal.Zeviander
Why is it my responsibility to maintain the life of another? Why am I not only responsible for my life and mine alone?

We are a social species. Each person has the potential to be your relative in either the immediate or long term future. Certainly you'd want to worry about your current relatives well being? So why not apply those concepts to the entire human race so we can all survive and thrive? The collective can accomplish much more then the individual so it's important to have a healthy, happy collective. It's on your best interest to help those around you because if they're on your level, they wouldn't desire what you have.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#139 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Crunchy_Nuts

Are you new to the world?
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
Eh, the tech isn't ready for being put into cars, and it's too expensive anyway. And because driving drunk is a cultural hobby, in some areas at least, using jail and.or fines to try and rehabilitate such offenders is wasteful and ineffective. I just figure that the government should increase how harshly they treat such incidents. Sure, it could lead to some more people in jail, but a 3 strike rule would work to at least contain the re-offenders. Strike 1, lose your license for 4 months, fined $5000 minimum. Strike 2, lose license for a year, fined minimum of $10,000 , 6 months jail time minimum. Strike 3, lose license permanently, added to a federal driving ban list. Minimum jail time of 5 years, $10,000 min. fine. Any further offense = life in jail. Treating deaths caused by someone driving under the influence as 2nd degree murder (as well as instituting a lifetime ban like in step 3 above) would also be helpful.
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#141 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

there is already a solution, and it was found 1400 years ago.....lol at the silly 1st world problems.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Zeviander
We are a social species. Each person has the potential to be your relative in either the immediate or long term future. Certainly you'd want to worry about your current relatives well being? So why not apply those concepts to the entire human race so we can all survive and thrive? The collective can accomplish much more then the individual so it's important to have a healthy, happy collective. It's on your best interest to help those around you because if they're on your level, they wouldn't desire what you have.Yusuke420
You said a lot and explained nothing. A collective cannot accomplish more than every individual. Many individuals are held back by collectives. Why is it anyone's responsibility to live for the sake of anyone else?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]You drink your mouth wash?

Pirate700

Mouth wash shows up as alcohol.....you don't have to drink it.

Right, but this scanner works off the sweat/oil on your finger tip. You would have to injest it to actually get a reading.

Anti bacterial soap then....
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Well the thing is these cars are already looking to be safer than any human-controlled car. According to google they've gone 300,000 driver-less miles accident free. The only accident one of their cars caused was when it was being controlled manually by a human, and there was another accident where one of their cars was rear-ended by another driver.

And there will be instances of malfunctioning systems......I'd rather not rely on a machine.
Wolf-Man2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#145 Wolf-Man2006
Member since 2006 • 4187 Posts

Not entirely a bad solution, but what concerns me is this sounds like another one of those "regulate everything you do" ideas, plus there is always a probability for technology like this to horribly backfire