New technology could prevent drink driving.

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
Easy work around would be to keep the car running prior to drinking I would think. Or wear gloves....unless the sensor refuse to accept anything that's not human hands...
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Easy work around would be to keep the car running prior to drinking I would think. Or wear gloves....unless the sensor refuse to accept anything that's not human hands...tocool340
I'm sure it would need a finger print or some kind of organic reading.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
Finger thing won't work if it's scanning the tissue for alcohol, and any alcohol a person has physically touched with their hands would show up. People who work at restaurants and bars won't ever get to go home. I assume they're looking for a way around that though. But again, the person could just touch the button with a gloved hand, a blanket, anything to block that connection. And then, I can see issues with a sober driver driving a bunch of drunks, and the breath-sensor picks them up and stops the car from moving. It'll take a lot of tweaking to get it right and useful.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

[QUOTE="tocool340"]Easy work around would be to keep the car running prior to drinking I would think. Or wear gloves....unless the sensor refuse to accept anything that's not human hands...Pirate700

I'm sure it would need a finger print or some kind of organic reading.

Yeah, never mind. I just decided to read the article....:P "The infra-red light looks for alcohol in the finger's tissue."
Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me, I'm not seeing any consequences of this if its put into every car, just so long as it only immobilizes itself if the drinker's alcohol level is at a dangerous enough level.
kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

Or you can just have common sense, rofl

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
about 500 years too late; it's called taxi cabs.
Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts
about 500 years too late; it's called taxi cabs. Fightingfan
Aren't Buses and Subways options too?
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#59 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Or you can just have common sense, rofl

kingkong0124
This as well.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Im not a fan of this. If you are convicted of drinking and driving then fine, but putting one in every single car is pushing it. I would rather the state not regulate every single aspect of my life.Besides, this could easily lead to other problems. For example, what happens if I just used some mouth wash and have alcohol on my breath, I can't get to work now? Or if someone wants to drink and drive, what is stopping them from just getting someone else to blow into the breathalizer or cheat it some other way? Also, what about in the case of an emergency? Random example, you had few beers with friends at your cottage (where there is no cell reception) and someone falls and cracks their skull open? You can't drive your friend to a hospital because your car won't let you? Hell, what if you just want to move your car into your own garage during a storm, but you can't because you had a beer.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

Don't like this at all. More police state BS.Pirate700

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

For that built-in breathalyzer thing to work, it would have to force you to use it every single time you get into the car.

F*ck. That.

I don't think the infrared scan sounds like a very good idea either... It would need to work perfectly. Far too many people could be inconvenienced from incorrect readings (would it even be able to detect if you've had alcohol, but are still under the limit?... I doubt it).

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

[QUOTE="Crunchy_Nuts"] The ability to drive isn't a right, it's a privilege. As for this solution, I think it's pretty stupid as it can be easily gamed. You know what would be better for drunk drivers, autonomous cars. Not only can they drink before they drive, but they can drink while they 'drive' too.MrGeezer
I don't trust an autonomous car to drive as well as I do. I also don't trust a car to only render itself inoperable when I'm actually drunk. I wouldn't even think of supporting such technology until I'm absolutely 100% sure that it does work exactly as intended. Secondly, I don't trust that it'll actually cut down on drunk drivers. If it's detecting the alcohol which is evaporating out of peoples' hands, then can this be bypassed by wearing gloves? That's a question for me. Is there an easy way to get around this system? If so, then it isn't ready anyway. If the point is to stop people from driving drunk, then it clearly wouldn't stop people from driving drunk, so keep that $*** out of the car.

We trust the autopilots in our planes to keep us in the sky and that's worked out pretty well so far. And to be honest I think I would trust machines more than most of the people out there on the roads. Let's also not forget how much more enjoyable commutes could become :)

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Don't like this at all. More police state BS. I don't drink and drive. I shouldn't have to have this crap in my truck. Save this for people who have been convicted of DUIs.

gamerguru100

I know it comes off like a police state thing, but it's a good idea. Drunk driving is causing far too many unnecessary deaths, especially of young people.

I disagree.

It's mostly the stupid drunks that die as a result of drunk driving, if they choose to off themselves to make the world a better place... I dont consider that "unnecessary" at all.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I do not want the government having that degree of control over who is and isn't allowed to drive. That kind of power could easily be abused.Crunchy_Nuts
The ability to drive isn't a right, it's a privilege. As for this solution, I think it's pretty stupid as it can be easily gamed. You know what would be better for drunk drivers, autonomous cars. Not only can they drink before they drive, but they can drink while they 'drive' too.

Whose right is it to determine who is entitled to this "privilege"?

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
I'm just waiting for Google to drive me everywhere.
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
I'm just waiting for Google to drive me everywhere. -Sun_Tzu-
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

We trust the autopilots in our planes to keep us in the sky and that's worked out pretty well so far. And to be honest I think I would trust machines more than most of the people out there on the roads. Let's also not forget how much more enjoyable commutes could become :)

Crunchy_Nuts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that aside from takeoff and landing, flying is a pretty simple deal. Driving is a bit different. It requires constant maneuvering and keeping track of lots of different objects. I'm aware that people are working on an autopiloting car and that the results so far have been good, but I'm still not convinced and I am curious how much it'll actually cost to make a car fully automated. Aside from that, though, I wasn't saying that I don't trust machines over other people. I was saying that I don't trust machines over MYSELF. Before I get an automatic car, I'll have to be convinced that it drives better than ME.
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#69 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"][QUOTE="indzman"]

BTW is it me or your avi is kinda different from last ? i mean it shows partially

indzman

What do you mean? ;o I;ve been using this avi since 2 months or so, and it's been the same ever since.

Oh.its like slideshow avi , rite?

rotator what you mean right?
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

It would have to be damn accurate if they did this. Breathalyzers aren't known for their accuracy, and I could see a few problems with putting them in every car.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#71 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

I can't wait for automated cars that drive the speed limit, keep proper distance and never runs a red light. Once they have that level of tech and it's been tested throughly, ban all non automated cars and send um to the scrap heap. Then people will be able to put on make up, eat a burger, or even get dressed while getting to their destination safely and on time.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Laihendi

I can't wait for automated cars that drive the speed limit, keep proper distance and never runs a red light. Once they have that level of tech and it's been tested throughly, ban all non automated cars and send um to the scrap heap. Then people will be able to put on make up, eat a burger, or even get dressed while getting to their destination safely and on time.

Yusuke420
Why would you want to ban someone from driving a car of his choice?
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Laihendi

It would be too dangerous to throw off the automated cars. If all cars are automated, they can talk to each other and a crash will never happen. Machines can do way more processes per second then humas could even imagine. So if they are more the capable, why ruin that by throwing in humans that can't react nearly as quickly or efficently?

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Yusuke420

It would be too dangerous to throw off the automated cars. If all cars are automated, they can talk to each other and a crash will never happen. Machines can do way more processes per second then humas could even imagine. So if they are more the capable, why ruin that by throwing in humans that can't react nearly as quickly or efficently?

If the computers can react so quickly, then they can react in response to the actions made by human drivers. And they would have to unless the entire country switched over to automated cars at once, which would be absurd because it would require the government to force everyone to buy a specific type of car. That is a bad idea to have the government destroying and creating entire industries regardless of what each individual actually wants to spend his money on.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Yusuke420

This will never happen. Not for tech reason, but because we love to drive so much. It completely defeats the purpose of owning a vehicle if you don't get to control it. There is a fine line between good tech that makes like more convenient and tech that goes too far and self driving cars crosses that line. Picture a car you'd love to own...now picture owning it but not being able to drive it. Sounds kind of silly doesn't it?

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
Better install that crap in the lawnmowers cause here in ohio it seems common for drunk drivers who lose their license to just drive lawnmowers. 2 years ago one of them tried to cross a highway going through a town, has no lights, and a dude with a motorcycle and a side car with his wife and kid hit it. Killed him and the kid.

The crap really won't work. The worthless fuvks who drink and drive will drink and drive on something or find a way because that is the kind of person they are. The methods described here to prevent are easily sidestepped.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Yusuke420

On the real man what is more important; Safety and Convience or Cash? For all I know it could be a device you would have installed on your car and you wouldn't need a specific model or anything. I agree it could be able to deal with human error and I agree that the convertion should take place in stages over time. Wouldn't it be nice to get from point a to point b with zero worry about firey death?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Pirate700

On the real man what is more important; Safety and Convience or Cash? For all I know it could be a device you would have installed on your car and you wouldn't need a specific model or anything. I agree it could be able to deal with human error and I agree that the convertion should take place in stages over time. Wouldn't it be nice to get from point a to point b with zero worry about firey death?

Yusuke420

You sound like someone who doens't have a license....

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Yusuke420
If they get "thrown off" by real human drivers, then they aren't ready. Any way you look at it, they will have to drive alongside human drivers. Even if all new cars are required to be fully automated, there's no way in hell every single driver is gonna be forced to get a new car. Current cars would be grandfathered in, no question about it. And there will still be a $***load of them on the roads, because most drivers can't just afford to go out and buy a new car. If the new fully automated cars get "thrown off" by those other cars with their human drivers, then they aren't ready yet.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Fightingfan
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]about 500 years too late; it's called taxi cabs. Toph_Girl250
Aren't Buses and Subways options too?

No. Being drunk in public is a crime.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Pirate700

I have been licensed since 2005, but it's not like I care about driving. It's just a means to get from A to B to me. I'd much rather have mass public transportation and bullet trains take me everywhere. Flying is pretty decent also.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Yusuke420

I have been licensed since 2005, but it's not like I care about driving. It's just a means to get from A to B to me. I'd much rather have mass public transportation and bullet trains take me everywhere. Flying is pretty decent also.

I think you'd be surprised how much you care if your right to control a vehicle is taken away. Driving is freedom and you completely lose that if you don't control your car. Why don't you take the bus if you only care about getting from A to B?

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Yusuke420

I live in a rural area with no options for public transportation, otherwise I wouldn't waste my life making a car payment. When I was going to school in Phoenix, they had an awesome public transportation system and I never needed a car for anything. Driving isn't freedom, you can still go anywhere you want. If only we had cool bullet trains that could take us around the country at two or three hundred miles an hour I'd never have to fly either lol.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Fightingfan
If this was ever implemented I would simply remove it from the start or ECU; however they would implement it.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Pirate700

I live in a rural area with no options for public transportation, otherwise I wouldn't waste my life making a car payment. When I was going to school in Phoenix, they had an awesome public transportation system and I never needed a car for anything. Driving isn't freedom, you can still go anywhere you want. If only we had cool bullet trains that could take us around the country at two or three hundred miles an hour I'd never have to fly either lol.

Yusuke420

Then it sounds like public trasit is for you. For most it isn't so automated cars aren't likely to ever happen.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 -Sun_Tzu-
I'd much prefer having my own personal virtual chauffeur than have to drive everywhere myself, the only condition being that it'd have to come with Otto the autopilot.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Pirate700

Then it sounds like public trasit is for you. For most it isn't so automated cars aren't likely to ever happen.

So it's a pride thing? LOL

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 CreasianDevaili
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]You sound like someone who doens't have a license....

I think you'd be surprised how much you care if your right to control a vehicle is taken away. Driving is freedom and you completely lose that if you don't control your car. Why don't you take the bus if you only care about getting from A to B?

Driving is freedom I admit. But it is also a luxery. I love to take long drives and just cruise lost. However I like driving enough that I do want to see more done about drunk driving. If a legit means to punish the guilty, and not the innocent, is brought to light I would support it. If you actually feel driving is freedom, then you should want the same.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Fightingfan

Yusuke420

Generalizing.

I'm not going to Liberty City/Pork & beans to catch the monorail to get across Miami; only an idiot would do that. Anyone who isn't black is like a goldfish in a shark tank in that area and is asking to get robbed or raped.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Yusuke420

I'd much prefer having my own personal virtual chauffeur than have to drive everywhere myself, the only condition being that it'd have to come with Otto the autopilot. -Sun_Tzu-
I'd take one of those awesome Honda robots as my driver. Maybe if hologram tech is perfected by then you could have a random celebrity drive you everyday!

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Pirate700

Google already has its driver's license, I hope your body is ready because automated cars are on the horizon.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

-Sun_Tzu-

Google already has its driver's license, I hope your body is ready because automated cars are on the horizon.

Right, just like flying cars and teleportation. Its existance doesn't mean anything.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Fightingfan

Generalizing.

I'm not going to Liberty City/Pork & beans to catch the monorail to get across Miami; only an idiot would do that. Anyone who isn't black is like a goldfish in a shark tank in that area and is asking to get robbed or raped.

Really? Your police should take crime more seriously then. In Dallas almost all Dart Stations have armed policemen after a run of incidents.

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 CreasianDevaili
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Generalizing.

I'm not going to Liberty City to catch the monorail to get across Miami; only an idiot would do that. Anyone who isn't white is like a goldfish in a shark tank in that area and is asking to get robbed or raped.

Sounds pretty bad in liberty city. Never been there. But reminds me of a underground greyhound bus terminal in Greensville, SC. But replace white with black. They hadn't even replaced the vending machines for 2 years down there.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Lost a freind many years back for drunk driving, its about time.

indzman

He died having fun, I envy him. Yolo

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Then it sounds like public trasit is for you. For most it isn't so automated cars aren't likely to ever happen.

Pirate700

Right, just like flying cars and teleportation. Its existance doesn't mean anything.

The difference is that there are actual self-driving cars roaming the streets of America as we speak.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Yusuke420

Generalizing.

Really? Your police should take crime more seriously then. In Dallas almost all Dart Stations have armed policemen after a run of incidents.

Miami is built from cocaine the police see what they want.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I want to avoid having to drive in my life but its hard. I want to move to New York City so I dont have to.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Google already has its driver's license, I hope your body is ready because automated cars are on the horizon. -Sun_Tzu-

The difference is that there are actual self-driving cars roaming the streets of America as we speak.

I could see it one day finding its place in the commercial industry (trucking) in the future but I can't ever see them in a serious role in the consumer market.

Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

I don't think people realize how dangerous cars are. They need to issue lifetime bans, that might sober people up.