**NEW** Including Micro-generations, which generation do you belong to?

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Poll: **NEW** Including Micro-generations, which generation do you belong to? (27 votes)

Silent Generation (1927-1940) 0%
Rock and Roll Generation (1941-1945) 0%
Baby Boomers (1946-1959) 0%
Generation Jones (1960-1964) 7%
Generation X (1965-1976) 7%
Xennial (1977-1981) 19%
Millenials 1 (1982-1991) 41%
Millenials 2 (1992-1996) 19%
Gen Z (1997-?) 7%

I liked the other Poll in this discussion but felt it didn't go into enough detail. As a member of a mini-generation I think they were casually lumped in with other groups not basing it on actual cultural experiences that tie a group together. While it might not be perfect I think this is probably a more realistic spread.

Here's how I see it:

The Silent Generation(1927-1940) These guys were born before most of WW2 and too young to participate in it. The majority were born during the Great Depression of the 1930's. 14 years

Rock and Roll Generation (1941-1945) This mini-Generation born during WW2 pretty much created Youth Culture in America in the middle 1950's when as teenagers (and pre-teens) many broke away from their parents and started swinging their hips and dancing to a new music called Rock and Roll by artists like Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry and Little Richard. It was quite rebellious at the time. The movie American Graffiti is a good representation of them. Most of the members of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Kinks, as well as Bob Dylan, Brian Wilson and other 60's icons were born here. They were heavily influenced by first-generation Rock. As John Lennon once said "If there was no Elvis, there would be no Beatles. 5 years

Baby Boomers (1946-1959) Much maligned generation with a BIG birthrate was actual instrumental in creating needed social changes, but caused problems as well for future generations. These were the Vietnam vets and the hippies that were part of Woodstock Nation, but also later Boomers (Shadow Boomers) like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs helped facilitate the flow of technology. This generation grew up in the turbulent 1960's with assasinations, draft cards (male), protests, potent drugs, and much of the best of classic Rock. 14 years

Generation Jones (1960-1964) This BIG birthrate mini-Generation was sometimes called the Lost Generation or Punk-rock Generation and has been claimed by both Boomers and X, but doesn't fit either group. This was the generation that came of age with the original punk-rock/new wave movements, as well of the first mass-produced Personal Computers, the Apple II. Also, the first generation of fans to witness the original Star Wars in the theatre and to play the first video games, whether at home with Pong or at the arcades with Space Invaders, Asteroids, or Defender. They share 80's MTV and "Brat-Pack" with X. 5 years

Generation X (1965-1976) Birthrates decreased in this generation as the Boomers of the 60's started using new birth controls to minimize pregnancies. There was a continuing rise in divorce rates and 2 income households in the 1960's and 1970's, so much so that X is often called the "latch-key" generation because of the lack of adult supervision. They played videogames on the first Nintendo consoles (NES and SNES) and the arcades. They were also deeply tied to MTV in the days when MTV actually played music videos. 12 years

Xennials (1977-1981) These guys grew up with grunge, Tupac, MTV reality shows , and everything 90's. They grew up with Windows '95, 56k modem, and the rapid ascent of AOL, Pentium Computers, Quake, SNES/N64, Playstation and the internet. My So-Called Life is a good representation of Xennials circa 1993 and 1994, pre-internet. 5 years

Millenials 1(1982-1991) The first Millenials group came of age with cel (dumb) flip-top phones, Windows 98/2000/XP, AOL chat rooms, Ocarina of Time, Diablo 2, Starcraft, Halo, etc. Very aware of events of 9/11. 10 years

Millenials 2 (1992-1996) The 2nd group of Millenials came of age with smart phones, Windows 7, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Reddit, and numerous dating websites. Not much emotional impact of 9/11 for most. 5 years

Generation Z (1997-?) The generation that grew up on Game of Thrones and Marvel movies. Deep into social media and the tech world, but not aware of 9/11.

Well, I tried to write some things out but I'm interested to hear where you are on the chart and some more insights into your generation that you can relate to us that make your group distinct.

• 
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#1 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 16219 Posts

Still Gen X, representing.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 2786 Posts

Millenial 1. But I grew up with SNES, N64, Quake, etc., so I feel that is a little misplaced.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3438 Posts

Xennial and it was a awesome time to grow up no stupid smart phones or social media also music was amazing back then.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26783 Posts

@plageus900:

Good feedback!

Yeah, I tried to put the experiences about when they would have the most impact but people can experience some things like videogames earlier or later then what I mention depending on their upbringing. Thanks!

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 918 Posts

Still Gen X. Pretty much nailed my childhood. Parents split up, latch key kid, arcades were awesome and MTV was the shit. We grew up playing Atari 2600, Colecovision and Intellivision before NES dropped though.

Horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 121591 Posts

@plageus900 said:

Millenial 1. But I grew up with SNES, N64, Quake, etc., so I feel that is a little misplaced.

NES and N64 in my case. Friends that used to see during summer when we stayed at my grand parents place had SNES. Donkey Kong!!!

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79502 Posts

Xennial, although I hate that word and this my first time seeing it.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AFBrat77

@JustPlainLucas:

Trust me, its been around alot.

Also called Generation Catalano after Jared Leto's character in My So-Called Life, and Oregon Trail Generation after the video game, which I guess was played alot then. Heres some links:

Generation Catalano

Oregon Trail Generation

Loading Video...

My So-Called Life aired in 1994 a year before the Windows '95/internet technology craze and was always noted for its realistic portrayal of Xennials by actual Xennials (well, main protagonist Claire Danes was, Leto was GenX) who lived through that time. Pretty much the story of high school through the eyes of a 14 year old girl. How it only lasted just one season is crazy but it gave Claire Danes and Jared Leto their start. When it was pumped up on MTV late in the 90's it gained a lot of traction and popularity, but another great show like Freaks and Geeks that ended way too soon. But the word is Claire wanted to move on to movies after that first season, and she was pretty much irreplaceable in that role.

I would say its the forerunner of the movie "Thirteen" for GenZ.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79502 Posts

@AFBrat77 said:

@JustPlainLucas:

Also called Generation Catalano after Jared Leto's character in My So-Called Life, and Oregon Trail Generation after the video game, which I guess was played alot then. Heres some links:

Oh yeah, Oregon Trail was all the rage.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AFBrat77

@JustPlainLucas said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@JustPlainLucas:

Funny, I don't remember that game, but then again I was 2 generations ahead and couldn't afford an Apple II at the time. Apparently it was very popular though around your time. I didn't get a PC until January 1997.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 2666 Posts

Born in 93 but I feel like more a millennial 1 than a 2. I was the youngest of 6 and since mum at the time worked for Telstra we had internet but my computers until I got older where always a gen or 2 behind so I had 95 when 2000 was out and 98 when XP then Xp finally when vista came out.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5193 Posts

Xenial

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AFBrat77

@npiet1 said:

Born in 93 but I feel like more a millennial 1 than a 2. I was the youngest of 6 and since mum at the time worked for Telstra we had internet but my computers until I got older where always a gen or 2 behind so I had 95 when 2000 was out and 98 when XP then Xp finally when vista came out.

Yeah, being the youngest of 6 you probably relate better with M1 than M2 in any event.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HEATHEN75

@AFBrat77 said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@JustPlainLucas:

Funny, I don't remember that game, but then again I was 2 generations ahead and couldn't afford an Apple II at the time. Apparently it was very popular though around your time. I didn't get a PC until January 1997.

We had Oregon Trail in computer lab at school around 1982-83. I was a horrible hunter and lost many a family to sickness and starvation.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AFBrat77

@heathen75 said:
@AFBrat77 said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@JustPlainLucas:

We had Oregon Trail in computer lab at school around 1982-83. I was a horrible hunter and lost many a family to sickness and starvation.

Yeah, I think the games been around a long time and somehow I missed it, in '82 and '83 I was just past high school and stationed in England while in the Air Force. At that time I was playing games like Defender at the Airmans club when I had free time. Mastered that puppy.

Apparently though it was a really big thing for Xennials (hence the Oregon Trail Generation moniker for them), perhaps it was re-released or something but one of my co-workers (an Xennial, 1979) remembered that game very well and said something about a fresh release with it.

So I guess that was the point of the game, make it across the States using your skills?

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HEATHEN75

@AFBrat77: The goal was to get your family to the west without killing them all. I had a success rate of 0%.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36268 Posts

I prefer "Oregon Trail Generation" myself, I also take offense to "Xennial".

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AFBrat77

@lamprey263:

Sorry, if I could go back and change it I would. But Xennial is the most common name for that generation anyway. But I agree, coming from a microgeneration myself, they need better names.

Just for fun, I'd like to give Oregon Trail a go, I'm sure it's free.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AFBrat77

Had a little time to kill today so I thought I'd make a list of some famous personalities born out of and kind of representative of each generation, about 10 for each. I'll start with a sub-generation within Baby Boomers, the Shadow Boomers ( 1955-1959, who differed from the classic Boomers as they were too young for Vietnam and Woodstock), and list some for each generation up to Millenials 1 which is about as far as I can make a good list. Feel free to add on:

Baby Boomers represented by Shadow Boomers (1955-1959) are usually lumped in as part of Gen Jones, but I still see them as more Boomers, good group though, I would be proud to put them in GenJones (my generation), MJ included:

• Bill Gates
  • J.K. Simmons
  • Bruce Willis
  • Tom Hanks
  • Mel Gibson
  • Bryan Cranstan
  • Alec Baldwin
  • Gary Oldman
  • Michael Jackson (RIP), Prince(RIP), Madonna (1980's icons all)
  • Bill Maher

Generation Jones (1960-1964)

• Barrack Obama
  • George Clooney
  • Eddie Murphy
  • Nicholas Cage
  • Tom Cruise
  • James Hetfield and Dave Mustaine (Metallica and Megadeth!)
  • Jim Carrie
  • Brad Pitt
  • Quentin Tarrantino
  • Johnny Depp

Generation X (1965-1976)

• Hugh Jackman
  • Matthew McConaughey
  • Jay-Z
  • Uma Thurman
  • Matt Damon
  • Elon Musk
  • Leonardo DiCaprio
  • Tupac Shakur (RIP), Snoop Dog, Eminem
  • Jared Leto
  • Ben Affleck

Oregon Trail Generation (1977-1981, the artists formerly known as Xennials)

• Ashton Kutcher
  • James Franco
  • Kobe Bryant
  • Katie Holmes
  • Heath Ledger (RIP)
  • Jake Gylenhal
  • Tom Hardy
  • Claire Danes
  • Ryan Gosling
  • Christina Ricci

For Millenials 1, 2 and Generation Z I don't feel qualified to do a list, so please feel free to add names if you want. But for me play time is over for now, back to the real world.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#21 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2133 Posts

Millennials 2.

catlike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 catlike
Member since 2019 • 6 Posts

Gen Z.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AFBrat77

@campechebay said:

Barely Gen Z according to this model, not even a year short of the cutoff for Millennials.

I personally consider myself a Millennial, as I go by the 18-year theory (GI 1910-1927, Silent 1928-1945, BB 1946-1963, X 1964-1981, Y 1982-1999, Z 2000-2017), but I have no problem with being considered Gen Z, since generations are a niche and derogatory concept anyways. My tastes are vastly different from the typical subject in either Y or Z.

I think a little differently on that breakdown as I think the major generations are 10-14 years (sorry, but you can't have kids in the same generation anyways, thats how I see it, unless you were a Boomer, born in '46 and had a kid at 13), and the 5 year micro-generations are very real as its a time of rapid change and people born then aren't a real neat fit to either generation they border, growing up one way as they hit their teens, but another before they leave high school. They are sometimes the most noteworthy generations of all.

I see Millenials 2 (the Social Media generation) as a micro-generation between Millenials (the Internet Generation, grew up with internet becoming and being populated) and Z ( the fully digital generation, BORN after internet was up and busy) and I don't have a good name for them, but Millenials understand there is a division right there.

As for Z, 1997 is a very common placement for when their generation starts....basically whole life after internet, smart phones were ubiquitous before they reached high school, and no knowledge of 9/11 unless of course a family member died then, then a slight possibility. 1997 is a good placement, 9/11 happens before they reach Kindergarten. As for how long Z is, I would say 10-14 years but no idea when, lets see if there are big markers when Alpha reaches high school.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AFBrat77

Hmmmm...it looks like Millennials 1 (M1) still leads the charge here, equalling it's 2 tied neighbor generations M2 and OTG (Oregon Trail Generation). It seems the 1982-1991 gang has always been the majority at GS, not surprising since they basically came of age with the Internet and this site, which I believe used to have another name. I imagine they remember the Greg Kasavin days.

Anybody else want to chime in? Don't be shy 😉.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22535 Posts

There's no such thing as a micro-generation. Go home, boomer.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AFBrat77

@theone86:

not going to get caught up in your bs, I know how you are. So I ask nicely to stay off my threads.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By theone86
Member since 2003 • 22535 Posts

@AFBrat77: Wow, a boomer trying to shut down a millennial opinion, NEVER seen that before!

"Get off my lawn thread you rotten kids!" LOL!