New blame for the VT shooting: Oldboy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

killaj2786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 killaj2786
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts

VT killer's hammer pose resembles movie

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070419/ap_en_mo/virginia_tech_movie_inspiration;_ylt=As.vipHZq2zsr2jL5txH9ngwFxkF

:roll:

NEW YORK - One of the photographs in the Virginia Tech killer's "multimedia manifesto" may have been inspired by a bloody South Korean movie, adding to the debate over the influence of pop culture on heinous crimes.

"Oldboy," from the respected director Chan-woo Park, is about a man mysteriously imprisoned for 15 years. After escaping, he goes on a rampage against his captor. In one stylized and plainly unrealistic scene, he dispatches more than a dozen henchmen with the aid of a hammer.

In the package of materials that Cho Seung-Hui sent to NBC News, one photo shows Cho brandishing a hammer in a pose similar to the movie's signature image, which was splashed across its promotional posters.

The photograph with the hammer stood out from the other 42 photos, which generally showed Cho posing with handguns in a military-****vest and backward baseball cap.

The second film in Park's "Vengeance Trilogy," "Oldboy" won the Grand Prix prize at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival. It was hugely popular in South Korea, where more than three million people saw it.

The connection was spotted by Professor Paul Harris of Virginia Tech, who alerted authorities. The similarities have prompted speculation, especially in online forums, that Cho's massacre may have been partly inspired by "Oldboy."

There was no apparent link between Cho and "Oldboy" besides the lone photograph among the 28 video clips, 23-page written message and 43 self-portrait photos that he sent to NBC. Cho killed the 32 victims with a handgun and a pistol, and did not seem to reference the film in any of his notes or messages.

A screenplay written by Cho, however, did feature killings with a hammer.

Tartan Films, which distributed "Oldboy" in the U.S., said in a statement Thursday: "To be associated in any way with the tragic events that occurred at Virginia Tech is extremely disturbing and distressing. It is clear from news reports that the individual who perpetrated this heinous crime was deeply troubled. We believe that anyone would find it hard to explain his motives or actions."

Notorious killers are commonly linked to movies or music. The trench coats worn by the Columbine murderers, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, were seen by some as reflective those worn in "The Matrix." Some also assigned blame to Goth rocker Marilyn Manson, who later criticized the media in his song "Target Audience (Narcissus Narcosis)."

The late rapper Tupac Shakur was claimed to have inspired a number of killings, including the murder of four students and wounding of ten others in Jonesboro, Ark. in 1998 by Mitchell Johnson.

One of the earlier examples of pop culture being connected to a mass homicide was the link between the Beatles and Charles Manson, who was captivated by the song "Helter Skelter."

Loren Coleman, author of "The Copycat Effect: How the Media and Popular Culture Trigger the Mayhem in Tomorrow's Headlines," says that he's gradually coming to see Cho as a "copycat of many things," especially Columbine. In one missive, Cho referred to the Harris and Klebold as "martyrs."

"This in-depth analysis of his manifesto and this document, we may get some hints there, but this was a person that was terribly imbalanced," Coleman said. "To look for clues rationally in such an irrational document is really a fool's game."

Writing for the Huffington Post, filmmaker Bob Cesca dismissed Cho's "Oldboy" connection as "the most ridiculous yet," and noted many other popular culture references that feature images of a raised hammer.

"It seems like a cop-out, like an easy way out to explain away a tragedy like this," Cesca said Thursday. "Clearly I think the primary issue here is mental illness. It could be any number of things that maybe had a small part in this, but to create (a movie) as a trigger is missing the bigger picture."

nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nickmag
Member since 2006 • 6710 Posts
"It seems like a cop-out, like an easy way out to explain away a tragedy like this," Cesca said Thursday. "Clearly I think the primary issue here is mental illness. It could be any number of things that maybe had a small part in this, but to create (a movie) as a trigger is missing the bigger picture."Cesca
this Cesca guy makes a lot of sense
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts
New blame for VT shooting: The Bible, the most vile book in the history of man, which has been the cause of more than its share of massacres. Thank you. (Please disregard the fact that the student was probobly not christian...I mean taking the easy way out isnt about little details such as that, is it?)
Kev_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#4 Kev_Boy
Member since 2003 • 1527 Posts
Oldboy would make you want to kill people yes, the people who made it, man that movie was weak.
flavort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#5 flavort
Member since 2003 • 3794 Posts
No it is just a lost nightmare of a kid
Choga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Choga
Member since 2006 • 2377 Posts
How dare they, that was one of the best movies I have ever seen!
Erasorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Erasorn
Member since 2004 • 14502 Posts
Oldboy would make you want to kill people yes, the people who made it, man that movie was weak.Kev_Boy
 :|
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts
It is pathetic how stupid people can be....
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts

Its funny how they blame so many things, but not the criminal...:?

xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xhellcatx
Member since 2006 • 9015 Posts
New blame for VT shooting: The Bible, the most vile book in the history of man, which has been the cause of more than its share of massacres. Thank you. (Please disregard the fact that the student was probobly not christian...I mean taking the easy way out isnt about little details such as that, is it?)rzepak
actually CNN reported that he did come from a christian background. However, blaming the bible is retarded. Just as retarded as blaming video games, books, and movies.  O_o.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
At least it's not blaming video games... :|
xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xhellcatx
Member since 2006 • 9015 Posts
Its actually seeming to me that this kid seems to be a "hypochondriac" but instead of illness, he would think others experiances were his own. At least this is what I gather from it. I know hypochondriac isnt the word for it but i cant think of the actual word for it. Just an observation of my own.
Eadara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Eadara
Member since 2006 • 2163 Posts
New Person to blame for VT Massacre: the shooter
-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -Karayan-
Member since 2006 • 6713 Posts
I thought some student did it...
-Twilight-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -Twilight-
Member since 2005 • 8931 Posts
Where are they saying Cho killed 30+ people because of Old Boy? Cynicism ftw.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
New blame for VT shooting: The Bible, the most vile book in the history of man, which has been the cause of more than its share of massacres. Thank you. (Please disregard the fact that the student was probobly not christian...I mean taking the easy way out isnt about little details such as that, is it?)rzepak
My opinion exactly.  It infuriates me when I hear about people being killed because they believe in different legends than another person.  These are nothing more than stories that have grown in the retelling, and people are killing eachother over them.  The entire concept infuriates me beyond belief.
easteast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#17 easteast
Member since 2004 • 6407 Posts
It seems possible...
mark4091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mark4091
Member since 2007 • 3780 Posts
so what, so what if it is, they cannot take away ours rights to play video games and watch movies.
ryohazuki1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ryohazuki1987
Member since 2004 • 1974 Posts
You know, I first thought of Oldboy when I saw the hammer pic and wondered how long it would take the media to make that connection. Ridiculous of course, since there is no other link to the movie...or video games...or music.
alcarazo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 alcarazo9
Member since 2005 • 7104 Posts
:| ....... so now they are blaming Asian films
Kikouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 Kikouken
Member since 2006 • 15913 Posts

There are a bunch of other movies that you can point fingers on.

Battle Royale is the only movie where I can imagine a group of kids trying to own each other.