Nervous for my first job interview...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheGrinchh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheGrinchh
Member since 2013 • 254 Posts

Hopefully if I get this job I can replace my current one. The job I work work right now didn't have me do an interview, lucky me. I'm very nervous though. Don't want to stutter, be red-faced, etc. A retirement home job would be much better than what I'm doing now. (pregnating female cows by reaching down in their with a needle and ejecting sperm. Sucky pay for such a dirty job...) 

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

Hopefully if I get this job I can replace my current one. The job I work work right now didn't have me do an interview, lucky me. I'm very nervous though. Don't want to stutter, be red-faced, etc. A retirement home job would be much better than what I'm doing now. (pregnating female cows by reaching down in their with a needle and ejecting sperm. Sucky pay for such a dirty job...) 

TheGrinchh

Where do you even get such a job?

TheGrinchh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheGrinchh
Member since 2013 • 254 Posts

[QUOTE="TheGrinchh"]

deeliman

Where do you even get such a job?

Farm. Produce alot of cows so there's always meat supply.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
After the interview you'll think to yourself, "why was I so nervous about that?" I used to get really nervous about interviews until I began realizing that they're not that bad.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deeliman

When your interviewer makes a joke, always laugh. And be prepared for questions like, why should we hire you and what are your good/bad qualities etc.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Just try to keep calm. Also be prepared to answer the always idiotic interview question of "what is your biggest weakness". It's a popular one.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

Just talk to him/her like a normal human being with respect.. It's extremly easy to do once you get the hang of it.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deeliman

Just try to keep calm. Also be prepared to answer the always idiotic interview question of "what is your biggest weakness". It's a popular one.

Pirate700
Kryptonite? lol
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

There really is no point in worrying before the interview, you dont even know what they are going to ask anyways.  Just dont make anything emotional, there.  I worry that I wont be alert and will be tired.  Personally I did an interview on Monday and I just kept it simple, didnt really get into why I left my job, I just kept everything simple.  The question was simple, so I will answer it simply.  Dont be too friendly either, keep things kind of a mystery so they wonder what you could be like to have working.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts
Lol Here's a sample interview question: Q: how do you think your experience with artificially inseminating cows will help you in the retirement home field?
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mahlasor

Btw, your job is really weird...  

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
It's easier to get a job without trying too hard if you are good looking and well dress
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Everyone goes through that, so at least you'll know that there's nothing unusual about how you feel.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

Pirate700

lol yes

3-500x484.png

why_do_you_want_to_work_here.png

1.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
lol yesSerraph105
These are kind of humorous, but there's something that bugs me about this. The guy being interviewed is a confrontational smartass. He's treating every question as being stupid, and just an attempt to stroke the ego of the guy asking the question. He's acting as if the interview is just some stupid bull$hit process designed solely to humiliate him and make him feel inferior. Bottom line, he's acting like the company (and the interviewer) are the bad guys in this situation. He's acting like he doesn't want the job. In which case, why the f*** is he even there? No one put a gun to his head. If he clearly doesn't want the job in the first place then he shouldn't be applying in the first place.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
The point of an interview, in a nutshell, is that the HR rep or boss will pretty much never work with you, or even see you again, none of the questions are relevant or matter, it's a test to see if you are an idiot. If they ask what you're biggest weakness is and you say you have a crack addiction, well there you go, it's pretty much to see if you say anything retarded or act really strange. If you're normal and just answer the questions like any normal person without being all jittery you always pass.
norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

Best thing to do for a job interview are these:

Shave: No matter how much it hurts to reveal that baby face (or that double chin for us fat ones), there will be hair on your face 5 to 6 days later. Unfortunately, corporate doesn't think of facial hair as presentable.

Shower: Look clean.

Dress up: I hate wearing slacks and tucking that shirt in that makes my gut look like a suffocating pumpking, but business is business and business is tucked in button up shirts, slacks, and dress shoes. Boots are acceptable too.

Smell good: Don't overdo the cologne/perfume.

Attitude: Be funny and positive. No one likes awkward people. Don't go overboard on the jokes though. I usually make jokes about me making rookie mistakes on my first job. "There was a spider on a 94 pound bag of concrete that I didn't notice until I lifted it up. I screamed like a girl and threw it on the customers truck." I used to work at the Home Depot and that happened lol.

Anyway, that's how I do my interviews. Just act like you would with anyone else in a more professional manner. Never hurts to bring some personality into your professional image.

Avatar image for KobeBeanBryant8
KobeBeanBryant8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KobeBeanBryant8
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
It is completely normal to feel nervous before a job interview.
ZomBViperKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ZomBViperKing
Member since 2013 • 100 Posts
If you look too nervous in the interview you will most likely not even get a call back.
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mahlasor

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Serraph105

lol yes

Loved those, its just a trick question to see if you would say something out of the ordinary.  Just remember, you dont have to disclose anything you dont want to.  Remember self discloser (talking to tc), you dont have to disclose anything you dont want, because they wont know anyways.  Its a new job, so your past job probably is not an indicator of future performance (in my opinion).  

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Just realize that they are people.  They eat, crap and sleep just like you do.  

It all depends on the interviewer(s).  My first one was 4v1 and it was pretty easy because the interviewers were relaxed but still professional and they asked good and relevant questions.  My second interview was 2v1 and the interviewers were terrible.  They asked stupid and inappropraite questions like "how much do you want to be paid" and "I see you just graduated from college, so why do you want to leave your current food service job?" plus they were 15 minutes late for the interview and honestly seemed to not care.

A nursing home job will probably ask you good questions because of the nature of the job, they want to make sure you are a good person who wont mess up and accidentally kill someone.  

Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

They really aren't that bad.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

TheGrinchh

Work on pumping yourself up before the interview.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
You have a job so the worst thing that can happen is you have to go do another interview, I had no job so getting a job interview was a pretty big deal, I was more nervous because if I didn't get the job I had nothing to fall back on. Just go with it, who knows maybe you'll get the job and laugh at why you were so nervous.