NBC apologys to Michelle, but why did they insult her in 1st place?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Senor-Dweedle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Senor-Dweedle
Member since 2011 • 577 Posts

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/24/nbc-apologizes-to-bachmann-for-fallon-song-choice/

I know not everyone will agree with Michelles policys, but public humiliation is totally over the top.

Who else thinks TV networks need to treat politcal representatives more respectfully?

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
Politicians should be considered 'fair game' no matter what...
Senor-Dweedle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Senor-Dweedle
Why don't you just comment on the stories on foxnews instead of posting them all here?MichBelle
?? People post news on here all the time for discussion
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

NBC didn't insult her. It was something The Roots decided to do.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
Given that she was a guest on the show, it was absolutely rude. The Roots (Im assuming they are to blame) really messed up here. You can disagree with her political ideas, but this was just childish. It also just gave her more talking points. Now she has an example of media bias, no matter how off it is...
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

I don't think the rash descision of a band leader on a thrid string late night show constitutes the will of an entire network.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Oh look. Someone insulted Michelle. That has NEVER happened before.
Senor-Dweedle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Senor-Dweedle

I don't think the rash descision of a band leader on a thrid string late night show constitutes the will of an entire network.

Darthmatt
yes it does, they let him play it
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
Who else thinks TV networks need to treat politcal representatives more respectfully?Senor-Dweedle
1. Why are you posting this when there is already a thread about it? 2. Stop flooding the board - give other threads a chance.
linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

i feel like the roots should get a trophy for doing what they did, since when was it out of line to bash a politician to their face? apparently its only good to bash a politician when they arent around to see it

Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Communist_Soul
Member since 2009 • 3080 Posts

They can do what they want. No you should be able to insult anyone you please.

CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#13 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
They probably insulted her because she is a misinformed hypocrite. At least that's why I insult her. :)
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

Given that she was a guest on the show, it was absolutely rude. The Roots (Im assuming they are to blame) really messed up here. You can disagree with her political ideas, but this was just childish. It also just gave her more talking points. Now she has an example of media bias, no matter how off it is...wolverine4262

Fox News will even that out in no time

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wolverine4262

chaoscougar1

To be fair, all this media biasness the right spouts is pure bull every time. Even still, there are plenty of people that will look at this instance and agree...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

It's ok to belittle someone's status as a woman as long as they are a republican. Bachman is an idiot, but referring to her as what they did, was a little crass.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

wolverine4262

To be fair, all this media biasness the right spouts is pure bull every time. Even still, there are plenty of people that will look at this instance and agree...

I pray for those people
Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Communist_Soul
Member since 2009 • 3080 Posts

It's ok to belittle someone's status as a woman as long as they are a republican. Bachman is an idiot, but referring to her as what they did, was a little crass.

sonicare

Well she is a Lyin' Ass B----.

Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Charazani
Member since 2011 • 2919 Posts
Don't think you can really say that the band's decision was reflective of the networks thoughts. A spur of the moment thing.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

sonicare

How on Earth were they belittling her status as a woman?

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
I think people running for office need to toughen up if they expect to run a country. If someone cries boo-hoo over a song, no way in hell they'll be able to handle the stress associated with the presidency.
Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/24/nbc-apologizes-to-bachmann-for-fallon-song-choice/

I know not everyone will agree with Michelles policys, but public humiliation is totally over the top.

Who else thinks TV networks need to treat politcal representatives more respectfully?

Senor-Dweedle

Thanks for posting this

I do not think Fallon should be fired but that was wrong in my opinion. To be fair it might not have been him and he seemed to be respectful of Bachmann. Honestly the song is only disrespectful when you look at the title of the song or maybe the lyrics after the intro.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 worlock77

I think people running for office need to toughen up if they expect to run a country. If someone cries boo-hoo over a song, no way in hell they'll be able to handle the stress associated with the presidency. Maniacc1

This too.

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

'Lyin' Ass B----', lulz.

On a side note, Fallon is painfully unfunny on that show. His little stand-up thing at the beginning makes me cringe.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

worlock77

Using a deregatory term about a woman. NBC is apologizing so they probably did cross the line. Had they just called her an idiot or something along those lines, that probably would have been better. But in all honesty, why invite someone on your show if you're just going to ridicule them? They dont do that to most other candidates. I dont like Bachman, but like every candidate, she deserves some respect. If they made some racial comment about Obama or Cain, I think more people would be outraged. Well, if they made a comment about Obama.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178855 Posts
Does that show actually have viewers?
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#27 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

worlock77

The term **** is usually used a derogatory term against women.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic
Does that show actually have viewers?LJS9502_basic
On a side note, Fallon is painfully unfunny on that show. His little stand-up thing at the beginning makes me cringe.cybrcatter
I stand corrected....
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

wolverine4262

Don't be so sure. It has been shown time and again that the media does have a bias, more often than not, to the left. Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist explains it all. This of course does not include MSNBC which is the polar opposite of Fox News.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wolverine4262

Don't be so sure. It has been shown time and again that the media does have a bias, more often than not, to the left. Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist explains it all. This of course does not include MSNBC which is the polar opposite of Fox News.

WhiteKnight77

This is an honest question. Im a little confused. Why would mentioning a particular political group or organization more than another display a bia? maybe there is just more news to report.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I wonder how they were reprimanded...

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

They probably insulted her because she is a misinformed hypocrite. At least that's why I insult her. :)CodingGenius

Hey, when I said that about Bachmann I got moderated. I'm so mad now, because I just want to say something mean about her... but I don't know what is acceptable.

Well, she is... crazy. Is that good enough?

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

sonicare

Using a deregatory term about a woman. NBC is apologizing so they probably did cross the line. Had they just called her an idiot or something along those lines, that probably would have been better. But in all honesty, why invite someone on your show if you're just going to ridicule them? They dont do that to most other candidates. I dont like Bachman, but like every candidate, she deserves some respect. If they made some racial comment about Obama or Cain, I think more people would be outraged. Well, if they made a comment about Obama.

So if the song's title had been 'Lyin' Ass Dick' and the guest been a male would that be "belittleing his status as a man"? Somehow I doubt you'd argue that. And they didn't actually call her anything. They played an excerpt of a old song. Was it rude? Perhaps. Was it the afront to women's rights you seem to want to paint it as? Hardly.

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts

Women b###### h### same thing hahahaha

[spoiler] just kidding [/spoiler]

Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts

So if the song's title had been 'Lyin' Ass Dick' and the guest been a male would that be "belittleing his status as a man"? Somehow I doubt you'd argue that. And they didn't actually call her anything. They played an excerpt of a old song. Was it rude? Perhaps. Was it the afront to women's rights you seem to want to paint it as? Hardly.

worlock77

Why are you caring... That is like saying cracker is the equivelent of the dreaded n-word...

Come back to me when wasp males are oppressed for years then complain how women are trying to prevent regression in rights given to them.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Banjo_Kongfooie

Why are you caring... That is like saying cracker is the equivelent of the dreaded n-word...

Come back to me when wasp males are oppressed for years then complain how women are trying to prevent regression in rights given to them.

Maybe it's because I'm tired, but I read this like 5 times and still couldn't quite make sense of it.

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#37 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
Until politicians stop lying to us, I'm not sure I care how they are treated by the media. Sounds cynical, but the government in my province, well the Premier, totally did the opposite of what he said he was going to do. They ******* lie all the time to get in to office, than it's open season for whatever the eff they want to do. You can't lie in court, you shouldn't be able to lie as a politician.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44606 Posts
dangit she knew better than to stray from FoxNews cameras she asked for it
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic
Until politicians stop lying to us, I'm not sure I care how they are treated by the media. Sounds cynical, but the government in my province, well the Premier, totally did the opposite of what he said he was going to do. They ******* lie all the time to get in to office, than it's open season for whatever the eff they want to do. You can't lie in court, you shouldn't be able to lie as a politician.metallica_fan42
Then the media should pin them down with questions....not insults. Wasn't a class move at all....
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WhiteKnight77

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]Don't be so sure. It has been shown time and again that the media does have a bias, more often than not, to the left. Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist explains it all. This of course does not include MSNBC which is the polar opposite of Fox News.

wolverine4262

This is an honest question. Im a little confused. Why would mentioning a particular political group or organization more than another display a bia? maybe there is just more news to report.

Notice I picked out the 2 media outlets that are the extreme versions of each other. Both tend tonitpick everything the opposition does or wants to do. Also, notice that newspapers especially, will endorse political candidates and typically they are liberal candidates. As far as mentioning a specific group, citing said groups almost exclusively also shows bias.

The worst thing about this, the press was supposed to be the watchdog of the government, hence the 1st Amendment right of freedom of the press. Instead, the press, while still trying to be the watchdog, is pushing an agenda and with the exception of Fox News, they all lean left. I can see that with some of the papers I have read like USA Today, The Wall Street Journal (I get to read these at hotels) and The Atlanta Journal Constition.

It was also visible during the last two Presidential elections. The press would not ask Obama what he meant by change, yet they went after GWB for his military record and that even led to the resignation of a long time anchor from a nightly news program when he failed to check out the sources of a story he ran.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WhiteKnight77

Then the media should pin them down with questions...LJS9502_basic

Exactly, all politicians should be questioned as to what they want and not get poo pooed just due to some catch phrase or sound bite.