NASA erased moon landing footage?!?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

geedotherodian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 0

#1 geedotherodian
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

Thats right im not joking they erased it and now they are having hollywood do a $230,000 restoration on four "third-party" copies ...with taxpayer $$$. No im not a conspiracy theorist here is your link http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090716/ap_on_sc/us_sci_moon_video

Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

Yeah I heard they lost the original

Cactus_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Cactus_Matt
Member since 2008 • 8604 Posts

Someone certainly wasn't on the ball when they did that.

KDIDDY78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 KDIDDY78
Member since 2003 • 570 Posts

Thats right im not joking they erased it and now they are having hollywood do a $230,000 restoration on four "third-party" copies ...with taxpayer $$$. No im not a conspiracy theorist here is your link http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090716/ap_on_sc/us_sci_moon_video

geedotherodian

better than that photo op fly bye of air force 1 over nyc...they showed the tapes on the news last night i think its worth it...not because they look better but because of the historical implications

my_mortal_coil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 my_mortal_coil
Member since 2009 • 2839 Posts

NASA is such a joke now. Between all the horrible shuttle accidents, that nutjob stalker astronaut, and NASA's boring, stupid experimentation 300 miles out (which is BARELY in space) on spiders and jellyfish, they have NOTHING going on. And now this INCREDIBLY stupid mistake that paints a bunch of geniuses as morons ...

Why don't we have a permanent moonbase by now? When are we going to Mars? Private aeronautic companies are making more headway into high-altitude travel, civilian spacewalks, and cheap shuttle, living quarters made for frequent/long term space travel.

NASA, as far as I am concerned, stands for Nothing at All to Show for Anthing ... I just made that up :D

geedotherodian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 geedotherodian
[QUOTE="my_mortal_coil"]

NASA is such a joke now. Between all the horrible shuttle accidents, that nutjob stalker astronaut, and NASA's boring, stupid experimentation 300 miles out (which is BARELY in space) on spiders and jellyfish, they have NOTHING going on. And now this INCREDIBLY stupid mistake that paints a bunch of geniuses as morons ...

Why don't we have a permanent moonbase by now? When are we going to Mars? Private aeronautic companies are making more headway into high-altitude travel, civilian spacewalks, and cheap shuttle, living quarters made for frequent/long term space travel.

NASA, as far as I am concerned, stands for Nothing at All to Show for Anthing ... I just made that up :D

I wouldnt blame NASA too much, this is what happens when politicians become involved in science, they mire down real research and throw money around in high profile areas.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I don't think "oops" is gonna cover that one.

Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts

Meh i could care less.

Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts
WTF!? How does this kind of thing even happen? They ran out of tapes!? They're freaking NASA! How hard is it to get more tapes!?
jasperrussell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 jasperrussell
Member since 2005 • 1960 Posts

reused the tape, lol, saving some money :P

Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

ZOMG MUST BE FAKE!!!11!!!111!!!111111!

Pretty bloody stupid though.

Avatar image for blackacidevil96
blackacidevil96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blackacidevil96
Member since 2006 • 3855 Posts

my_mortal_coil

2 shuttle accidents. life happens. boring experiments that will benefit humanity imensely. this mistake was made quite some time ago and paints a bunch of geniuses as being no more human than the rest of us. we dont have a permanent moon base because as someone has said politicians fund nasa. they dont care about the experiments and scientific discovery. they care about personal image, propoganda. and bleak public images

we are going to mars when we are ready. private companies work well because they are privately funded. NASA is a government organisation. i.e. they arent concerened with civilian space walks on their missions.

and most importantly and unfortunatly its money that makes things happen. and NASA is horrible underfuned. wanna see stuff happen? give them money. NASA rides on less than 1 cent per tax dollar. thats pretty low.

lets not forget that nasa doesnt just deal with manned spaceflight. launching probes to expand our view of the universe we live in. research that will make the world a better place. and expand our horizons.

we made it to the moon because we dropped imense funding into the project for a decade. thats why it was done so well and so quickly.

aaaand for all those interested. we may have taped over the original footage. but the new orbital satelite they got over the moon has finally taken pictures of the landings sites

monkeyd_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 monkeyd_93
Member since 2007 • 6848 Posts
maybe they accidently taped over it for the superbowl, wont the wife be mad now ;)
cousin_eddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 cousin_eddy
Member since 2004 • 74681 Posts
good going NASA and you're supposed to be the smart ones!
shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

Since the original was fake anyways, they wanted to make a better one in HD. :P

gamermanps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamermanps2
Member since 2006 • 1220 Posts

They probably watched it back on a HD TV and realized how fake it looked.

revoscloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 revoscloud
Member since 2009 • 1167 Posts
Starring Johnny Depp and Demi Moore :D
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
How does goddamn NASA run out of tapes? :?
geedotherodian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 geedotherodian

2 shuttle accidents. life happens. boring experiments that will benefit humanity imensely. this mistake was made quite some time ago and paints a bunch of geniuses as being no more human than the rest of us. we dont have a permanent moon base because as someone has said politicians fund nasa. they dont care about the experiments and scientific discovery. they care about personal image, propoganda. and bleak public images

we are going to mars when we are ready. private companies work well because they are privately funded. NASA is a government organisation. i.e. they arent concerened with civilian space walks on their missions.

and most importantly and unfortunatly its money that makes things happen. and NASA is horrible underfuned. wanna see stuff happen? give them money. NASA rides on less than 1 cent per tax dollar. thats pretty low.

lets not forget that nasa doesnt just deal with manned spaceflight. launching probes to expand our view of the universe we live in. research that will make the world a better place. and expand our horizons.

we made it to the moon because we dropped imense funding into the project for a decade. thats why it was done so well and so quickly.

aaaand for all those interested. we may have taped over the original footage. but the new orbital satelite they got over the moon has finally taken pictures of the landings sites

blackacidevil96

What I highlited in bold is horribly untrue, last fiscal year NASA received 17.6 billion dollars, which is not much if you look at the military's budget (dont get me started on that) but is still very high and surpasses any other publicly fundedscientific organization (once again excepting military technology).

SuperBobz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SuperBobz
Member since 2009 • 613 Posts

So much for saving money lol.

I can't believe they didn't look what was on the tapes before they erased them... reeks of stupidity :|.

3minty3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 3minty3
Member since 2007 • 123 Posts

Meh i could care less.

Wolls

sure you dont mean "I could not care less". Or maybe you could care less.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

How.

In the hell.

Does ****ing NASA.

Run out.

Of tapes?!?!

I mean, good lord, if you're out of tapes then have somebody run down to Wal-Mart with ten bucks and get five more! It's NASA, damn it!

_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 _glatisant_
Member since 2008 • 1060 Posts

[QUOTE="Wolls"]

Meh i could care less.

3minty3

sure you dont mean "I could not care less". Or maybe you could care less.

For some reason Americans leave out the "not", God knows why.

And that's one hell of a ****-up by NASA.

judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#25 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
From what I heard they erased the most clear footage of it.
RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts

my_mortal_coil

You can't claim they're doing boring stuff if you don't really follow their programs... which you clearly don't if you don't know about LCROSS.

Learn about the LCROSS program here...

In short, they launched a rocket at the moon. It's going to hit the moon and explode making a huge cloud of debris, and then they're going to fly instruments through this debris to learn about the types of elements present on the moon. They're looking for traces of hydrocarbons to prove that water exists/existed on the moon.

The rocket will impact in October and they say even amatuers will be able to see the impact.

Oh - and this has everything to do with planning for whether the moon is inhabitable or not...you have to walk before you can run. Why would we have a moon base if we don't know whether anyone can survive on the moon for long periods of time? And we've already had numerous successfull equipment landings on Mars. Again, we're not going to just throw people out there and watch them die since we don't know that much about the environment....yeah, that would make sense. :roll:

Free_Marxet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Free_Marxet
Member since 2009 • 1549 Posts
government organizations typically dont serve their purposes very well, especially in comparison to private enterprise.
rowzzr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#28 rowzzr
Member since 2005 • 2375 Posts
obviously, some kind of creeping blunder is going on. seriously, they decide to broadcast it to the rest of the world, meaning, its THAT important. and then they just 'lose' the tapes. a bunch of intelligent beings, are they?
Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts
We went to the moon, huh.? That's a good one. As soon as technology got to the point where average citizens could verify whether we landed or not - we suddenly stopped going. . . . and no one else has gone. Funny stuff - and now they "lost" the original tape and have to manufacture one. . . . You couldn't make this stuff up.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
this just allows conspiracies to continue, you know, like the plane not hitting the Pentagon.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Perhaps they just taped over it?

Makemap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Makemap
Member since 2007 • 3755 Posts

We went to the moon, huh.? That's a good one. As soon as technology got to the point where average citizens could verify whether we landed or not - we suddenly stopped going. . . . and no one else has gone. Funny stuff - and now they "lost" the original tape and have to manufacture one. . . . You couldn't make this stuff up.Born_Lucky

I think that's proof. 8) You saw nothing.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

We went to the moon, huh.? That's a good one. As soon as technology got to the point where average citizens could verify whether we landed or not - we suddenly stopped going. . . . and no one else has gone. Funny stuff - and now they "lost" the original tape and have to manufacture one. . . . You couldn't make this stuff up.Born_Lucky

I also believe that orbitting satellites and the Mars rovers were fake.

Like, how could we send probes to freaking MARS if we can't even make it to the moon?

12345678ew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 12345678ew
Member since 2008 • 2353 Posts

they aren't restaging it, what do i care?

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

We've been there eleven times, moon rocks, the Soviet Union, yaddayaddayadda, insert irrefutable proof that we've been to the Moon here.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
[QUOTE="my_mortal_coil"]

You're absolutely correct. We COULD be doing so much right now that we have the proper resources for, but we choose to sit on our asses and slowly rot along with Earth, rather than expanding.
Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts

[QUOTE="Born_Lucky"]We went to the moon, huh.? That's a good one. As soon as technology got to the point where average citizens could verify whether we landed or not - we suddenly stopped going. . . . and no one else has gone. Funny stuff - and now they "lost" the original tape and have to manufacture one. . . . You couldn't make this stuff up.Theokhoth

We've been there eleven times, moon rocks, the Soviet Union, yaddayaddayadda, insert irrefutable proof that we've been to the Moon here.

Irrefutable proof, that is nothing you can use to prove something. You need pseudoscience andbad math to prove stuff. And the Soviet Union, and the whole Cold War was just a cover up for the moon landings.

Seriously this isn't a huge surprise, it is the goverment, they mess up everything.