my take on Michael Richards racist accusations...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CARL
Member since 2002 • 651 Posts

it was wrong, no question about it... but Michael Richards isn't a racist (he said it himself), he might be a "spontaneous" person, who acts before he thinks, but he's not a racist. i think that a lot of people find it disturbing because it's that funny Seinfeld character. You look at him, and you go, "nah, that character wouldn't hurt a sould".

so why did he do it? apart from factoring in the spontanous persona, i think you have to go even deeper, and i say this, because i happened to see a video a few months ago, which also made me feel a bit sad.

the irritating thing is that i forgot the persons name, the one who did this video.

anyways, i found it on a page dedicated to rap music a few months ago. it was a bit pathetic really. a white guy who had made a rap about how he didn't get a part in seinfeld. i don't know if id call it a rap, but it was a story he had memorized. and it was about him not getting a role in seinfeld because, acording to him, he didn't want to play his role with a spanish accent or something like that. im not sure exactly why he didn't get the part, but i found him a bit pathetic making this "rap", touring with it, because he got rejected for a part in seinfeld? that's pretty weak, anyways he mentioned that Micheal Richards told him that it would be funny if he did the spanish accent (maybe it was a mexican accent i don't remember), and it was like Michael tried to help the guy so that he got the part and did what the executives wanted.

but this guy made it look like Jerry and Michael where racist or something like that...

of course, if uve read this so far, u maybe think like, *but what the hell good does this do in proving that Michael isn't racist?*

well... here's my take on it... i think that maybe this "rap" spread on the internet (obviously it did), and consequently made people harass Michael when they saw him on the streets? couldn't it be like that? i mean, they probably didn't do much, but if u get these kind of harassments a couple of times, with people coming up and telling you you're a racist, and if you're Michael... well, then maybe u sooner or later freak out... right? after all he's admitted that he's "spontanous", acts before he thinks...

im just saying that this whole thing is just sad. and you can make people flipp if that's your motive. i mean this guy who did the "rap" obviously wanted to stirr emotions of hatred, he might not admitt it, but he did... and low and behold, he even got Michael into a frenzy, ruining his career.

he got what he wanted, but people like me, who like watching Seinfeld just don't like this mess...

Unassigned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Unassigned
Member since 2004 • 1970 Posts
Why is stating his opinion "wrong", that makes no sense. Remember, being racist and having your own opinions are not at all wrong or illegal.
nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nickmag
Member since 2006 • 6710 Posts
thats a lot of text about someone I've never heard of
Jays4Life07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jays4Life07
Member since 2007 • 36 Posts
thats a lot of text about someone I've never heard ofnickmag
Never heard of Kramer? :o
nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nickmag
Member since 2006 • 6710 Posts
[QUOTE="nickmag"]thats a lot of text about someone I've never heard ofJays4Life07

kramer vs kramer?
CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CARL
Why is stating his opinion "wrong", that makes no sense. Remember, being racist and having your own opinions are not at all wrong or illegal.Unassigned

there are actually people in NY who are trying to restrict the use of the n-word in NY, i don't know, this petition got more attention after this accident

if it's wrong being a racist or not, i mean, of course it is, but that's not the question, he did something that was definitely morally wrong, but if there's a law against being a racist or not... i don't know man, but Michael isn't a racist, he acted foolishly.
guthwulf_de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 guthwulf_de
Member since 2004 • 13209 Posts
I thought he was long dead. This story is kinda old, isn't it? Or did he make another racist mistake?
Decko5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Decko5
Member since 2004 • 9428 Posts
I thought he was long dead. This story is kinda old, isn't it? Or did he make another racist mistake?guthwulf_de
no just old.
Teh_Law

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Teh_Law
Member since 2006 • 254 Posts
[QUOTE="Jays4Life07"][QUOTE="nickmag"]thats a lot of text about someone I've never heard ofnickmag

kramer vs kramer?

no thats the dustin hoffman movie
guthwulf_de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 guthwulf_de
[QUOTE="guthwulf_de"]I thought he was long dead. This story is kinda old, isn't it? Or did he make another racist mistake?Decko5
no just old.

That's what I thought. Why do we have to talk about it again? I thought Britney's bald head is interesting enough. :P
CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CARL
[QUOTE="guthwulf_de"]I thought he was long dead. This story is kinda old, isn't it? Or did he make another racist mistake?Decko5
no just old.

o.k.... so u need to be hip when u try to get an interesting discussion?
"sorry man, but that whole thing about Michael Richards is old news"
it feels like a lame excuse to not want to discuss something...
guthwulf_de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 guthwulf_de
[QUOTE="Decko5"][QUOTE="guthwulf_de"]I thought he was long dead. This story is kinda old, isn't it? Or did he make another racist mistake?CARL
no just old.

o.k.... so u need to be hip when u try to get an interesting discussion?
"sorry man, but that whole thing about Michael Richards is old news"
it feels like a lame excuse to not want to discuss something...

Yeah, but it's kinda pointless to discuss the same stuff over and over again. Where were you when this was up-to-date?
CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CARL
i don't know :)
oh well.... i thought at least i had to have my saying on the matter :)
staindcoldlp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 staindcoldlp
Member since 2004 • 15121 Posts
I never thought he was racist to begin with.
CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CARL
I never thought he was racist to begin with.staindcoldlp

no, and as it turned out it's just the forbidden>
CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CARL
strange... why did my last post end with forbidden>
????
i didn't write anything profane...

is there someone trying to censor what i write???

even do it's nothing to get upset with...
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
I refuse to judge him based on that video. I mean, clearly the guy was in a situation where he was quite vulnerable. People do crazy things when put in such positions.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
strange... why did my last post end with forbidden>
????

CARL
Sometimes when you type "classes" it does that
CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CARL
[QUOTE="CARL"]strange... why did my last post end with forbidden>
????

rimnet00
Sometimes when you type "forbidden>
CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CARL
lol, i c ure point... but anyways, the word that got censored must have been "story"
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
He might not be a racist. But if something quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
TSCombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TSCombo
Member since 2006 • 2957 Posts
When will people understand, nobody is trying to stop people from speaking their minds. What he said is his opinion and thoughts at the time. The content of what he said is what people are taking offense to. He has every right to speak his mind but after he says it in public, the public will respond accordingly.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

it was wrong, no question about it... but Michael Richards isn't a racist (he said it himself), he might be a "spontaneous" person, who acts before he thinks, but he's not a racist. i think that a lot of people find it disturbing because it's that funny Seinfeld character. You look at him, and you go, "nah, that character wouldn't hurt a sould".

so why did he do it? apart from factoring in the spontanous persona, i think you have to go even deeper, and i say this, because i happened to see a video a few months ago, which also made me feel a bit sad.

the irritating thing is that i forgot the persons name, the one who did this video.

anyways, i found it on a page dedicated to rap music a few months ago. it was a bit pathetic really. a white guy who had made a rap about how he didn't get a part in seinfeld. i don't know if id call it a rap, but it was a story he had memorized. and it was about him not getting a role in seinfeld because, acording to him, he didn't want to play his role with a spanish accent or something like that. im not sure exactly why he didn't get the part, but i found him a bit pathetic making this "rap", touring with it, because he got rejected for a part in seinfeld? that's pretty weak, anyways he mentioned that Micheal Richards told him that it would be funny if he did the spanish accent (maybe it was a mexican accent i don't remember), and it was like Michael tried to help the guy so that he got the part and did what the executives wanted.

but this guy made it look like Jerry and Michael where racist or something like that...

of course, if uve read this so far, u maybe think like, *but what the hell good does this do in proving that Michael isn't racist?*

well... here's my take on it... i think that maybe this "rap" spread on the internet (obviously it did), and consequently made people harass Michael when they saw him on the streets? couldn't it be like that? i mean, they probably didn't do much, but if u get these kind of harassments a couple of times, with people coming up and telling you you're a racist, and if you're Michael... well, then maybe u sooner or later freak out... right? after all he's admitted that he's "spontanous", acts before he thinks...

im just saying that this whole thing is just sad. and you can make people flipp if that's your motive. i mean this guy who did the "rap" obviously wanted to stirr emotions of hatred, he might not admitt it, but he did... and low and behold, he even got Michael into a frenzy, ruining his career.

he got what he wanted, but people like me, who like watching Seinfeld just don't like this mess...

CARL

who the hell is Michael Richards?
NathanHawkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NathanHawkins
Member since 2006 • 4470 Posts
he probably isn't racist, more attempting provocation in that instance....which backfired.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#25 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
This is just bringing up a buried situation. He apologized on tv; whether or not it was sincere, he still apologized. I'm all for the banning of racism.....it's foolish to teach something so illogical......but we can't ban the freedom of speech. It's the 1st Amendment for pete's sake. If we want to ban hate speech, we need to change the employees working in Congress, the Supreme Court, and the presidency. There's no other way around it.
CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CARL
i think banning a single word like some congressmen wants to do in NY is downright silly... if there should be anything there should be a law against inciting racial hatred...
but it's a difficult law to address... everything becomes very subjective when it comes to an indictment
im_very_kind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 im_very_kind
Member since 2007 • 411 Posts

it was wrong, no question about it... but Michael Richards isn't a racist (he said it himself), he might be a "spontaneous" person, who acts before he thinks, but he's not a racist. i think that a lot of people find it disturbing because it's that funny Seinfeld character. You look at him, and you go, "nah, that character wouldn't hurt a sould".

anyways, i found it on a page dedicated to rap music a few months ago. it was a bit pathetic really. a white guy who had made a rap about how he didn't get a part in seinfeld. i don't know if id call it a rap, but it was a story he had memorized. and it was about him not getting a role in seinfeld because, acording to him, he didn't want to play his role with a spanish accent or something like that. im not sure exactly why he didn't get the part, but i found him a bit pathetic making this "rap", touring with it, because he got rejected for a part in seinfeld? that's pretty weak, anyways he mentioned that Micheal Richards told him that it would be funny if he did the spanish accent (maybe it was a mexican accent i don't remember), and it was like Michael tried to help the guy so that he got the part and did what the executives wanted.

CARL
the thing I dont get is when he referred to himself as "the white man" when he clearly isnt white. hes jewish the definition of white starts with 100% european.
im_very_kind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 im_very_kind
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]This is just bringing up a buried situation. He apologized on tv; whether or not it was sincere, he still apologized. I'm all for the banning of racism.....it's foolish to teach something so illogical......but we can't ban the freedom of speech. It's the 1st Amendment for pete's sake. If we want to ban hate speech, we need to change the employees working in Congress, the Supreme Court, and the presidency. There's no other way around it.

you cant ban racism, because if you can ban a thought then you can ban any freedom you want and prove to me how believing one race is superior to others is illogical when one race seemed to have dominated throughout history when others didnt do as well, or didnt do anything at all.
papageorgio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 papageorgio22
Member since 2005 • 217 Posts
he still is one funny character. GO COSMO
yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 yoshi-lnex
Member since 2007 • 5442 Posts
Why is stating his opinion "wrong", that makes no sense. Remember, being racist and having your own opinions are not at all wrong or illegal.Unassigned
I disagree, I think that racism is very wrong and that racists are among the lowest scum in existance.
im_very_kind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 im_very_kind
[QUOTE="Unassigned"]Why is stating his opinion "wrong", that makes no sense. Remember, being racist and having your own opinions are not at all wrong or illegal.yoshi-lnex
I disagree, I think that racism is very wrong and that racists are among the lowest scum in existance.

theres worse. you mean to tell me that you hate a racist over a rapist? or a racist over a murderer? havent your parents taught you some people are just not going to like you? i mean seriously if you cant handle the fact that some people dont like you or your culture then maybe you should seek solitude.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
He's obviously racist.  He may not be racist to the level of the klan, but the man obviously has some issues with hate and bigotry.  Why else would he use those terms?
yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 yoshi-lnex
Member since 2007 • 5442 Posts
[QUOTE="yoshi-lnex"][QUOTE="Unassigned"]Why is stating his opinion "wrong", that makes no sense. Remember, being racist and having your own opinions are not at all wrong or illegal.im_very_kind

theres worse. you mean to tell me that you hate a racist over a rapist? or a racist over a murderer? havent your parents taught you some people are just not going to like you? i mean seriously if you cant handle the fact that some people dont like you or your culture then maybe you should seek solitude.

I didn't say racists were worse than rapists or murderers. If somebody dislikes somebody else purely becouse they are white, or black, or asian or jewish, they are scum.
familyguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 familyguy77
Member since 2005 • 2238 Posts
He yelled " He's a ******" and made comments about lynchings 50 years ago, in my book, he's a racist.
CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CARL
hey nas, maybe u would think otherwise if u read what i wrote...

or maybe not... i don't know...
Jumbo120788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jumbo120788
Member since 2004 • 14956 Posts
That video is hilarious.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38685 Posts
He yelled " He's a ******" and made comments about lynchings 50 years ago, in my book, he's a racist.familyguy77
but if he was a black man would he only be a comedian?
himtroy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 himtroy1
Member since 2005 • 28 Posts

Well, I think he said it for the same reason you say anyhting to someone you're fighting with.

EX: If I get in a fight with you, and say you're retarded, it's an insult, I don't actually think you're mentally handicapped. Insults are insulting things, that are said to get to you. Racist words are too far.

Also, Kramer getting in trouble became BS the minute people started calling him cracker(unless both sides would've gotten in trouble). We all say it's not as bad, but thats because we're probably mostly white.

im_very_kind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 im_very_kind

Well, I think he said it for the same reason you say anyhting to someone you're fighting with.

EX: If I get in a fight with you, and say you're retarded, it's an insult, I don't actually think you're mentally handicapped. Insults are insulting things, that are said to get to you. Racist words are too far.

Also, Kramer getting in trouble became BS the minute people started calling him cracker(unless both sides would've gotten in trouble). We all say it's not as bad, but thats because we're probably mostly white.

himtroy1
i dont see how racist insults are taking it too far people make fun of each other all the time based upon they way they look, but skin tone is so much worse than having a big nose or ears?
im_very_kind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 im_very_kind
[QUOTE="im_very_kind"][QUOTE="yoshi-lnex"][QUOTE="Unassigned"]Why is stating his opinion "wrong", that makes no sense. Remember, being racist and having your own opinions are not at all wrong or illegal.yoshi-lnex

I didn't say racists were worse than rapists or murderers. If somebody dislikes somebody else purely becouse they are white, or black, or asian or jewish, they are scum.

the way it seems, you hate "most" of the KKK groups. there are many groups who are deemed racist who actually do not hate anyone based upon ethnicity. they actually are trying to preserve the white race and look out for our interests. when a racist talks about a zionist, they actually mean zionists and not all jews. im pretty "racist" but i have hispanic and jewish friends. even some black ones. infact one of my cousins is half black. but most of what i say is deemed racist, so i tend to accept the term. most ethnicity hating racists are made by the media (saying they dont exist, and the media turns things into falsehoods). i find it hard to believe anyone actually hates another person because of skin color or ethnicity, but rather the culture they bring with it.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="familyguy77"]He yelled " He's a ******" and made comments about lynchings 50 years ago, in my book, he's a racist.comp_atkins

Post a video of a black comedian being just as hateful as Michael Richards was.
familyguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 familyguy77

[QUOTE="familyguy77"]He yelled " He's a ******" and made comments about lynchings 50 years ago, in my book, he's a racist.comp_atkins

No. Especially if he was being as hateful as Richards was. Don't bring up this ish about black comedians either, cus I've NEVER seen a black comedian be THAT racist towards an ethnicity before. What Chapelle and Mencia do is NOTHING compared to what Richards said.

eXor512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 eXor512
Member since 2006 • 3384 Posts
You can't go a day without hearing a black person around you or on the radio using the N-word. You can't watch BET for 5 minutes without white people being made fun of and a white person makes fun of black people once and the world is going to end. The whole thing was blown way out of proportion.
AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AngelB1ack
Member since 2005 • 7936 Posts
If a person says whitey crackalacka is that a bad word? I mean cmon people political correctness is way outa control. The guy messed up.. apologized so move on...
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MrGeezer
You can't go a day without hearing a black person around you or on the radio using the N-word. You can't watch BET for 5 minutes without white people being made fun of and a white person makes fun of black people once and the world is going to end. The whole thing was blown way out of proportion.eXor512

Do you remember the huge outrage that resulted when the white writers of South Park made one of the white characters (Butters) call Biggie Smalls the "N word"?
familyguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 familyguy77

You can't go a day without hearing a black person around you or on the radio using the N-word. You can't watch BET for 5 minutes without white people being made fun of and a white person makes fun of black people once and the world is going to end. The whole thing was blown way out of proportion.eXor512

BET sucks, big deal. And those jokes you hear on BET are just that, JOKES. What Richards said was NOT a joke. BTW, I've seen plenty white comedians make fun of minorities, so don't bring that ish about white people getting in trouble for making fun of minorities.  I ain't the biggest fan of racial jokes in comedy, but you act like minority comedians are the only comedians with a routine that has to do with making fun of races.