MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1170 Posts

What were your initial thoughts when you read this title? Anyway, people boast about certain aspects of themselves that I wonder if they’re even actually true. This is especially prevalent online where everyone has a masters degree in every field of expertise. I’ve met people in person who brag about things and they’re never able to prove it, and they’re usually humbled immediately after their claim. Case in point: Girl says she’s nice to people, then helps a customer, then mocks the customer behind their back to her coworker, despite the customer not saying or doing anything unkind. Even stranger is that this woman was completely oblivious to what she did after making her “nice person” claim. Have you met anyone in person who boasted or made a claim that was immediately disproven upon its utterance? No Internet stories because again, everyone has a masters degree.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59200 Posts

Boasting is a good way to goad people as it almost instantly gets a negative response of "I gotta get him"

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Crikey! Best give him a wide berth then.

I'm easily impressed and very gullible though.

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 InEMplease
Member since 2009 • 7461 Posts

I thought "that's an odd thing to say" and I like odd things so I clicked. I tend to agree that if you have to actually tell people you're nice/smart it might not be entirely true.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

My general belief is that no one is as smart as they think they are, and this goes double for legitimately smart people.

@sancho_panzer said:

Crikey! Best give him a wide berth then.

I'm easily impressed and very gullible though.

haha same.

I remember someone was like "Hey did you hear they took the word 'gullible' out of the dictionary" and my response was "What? Really!?"

I generally catch on eventually but for a grown man I am pretty naive still.

@uninspiredcup said:

Boasting is a good way to goad people as it almost instantly gets a negative response of "I gotta get him"

I will need to remember this when I need to bait or goad someone into a debate or duel or something 😋

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#7 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@mycatismilk: Too many people self-promote like this. I honestly don't care if it's true or not, I just get a feeling of sudden disgust upon hearing it.

It screams: "LOOK AT ME!! LOOK HOW AWESOME I AM AND HOW I AM SUPERIOR!!"

It's fine if you want to feel proud of yourself about something. But don't go announcing it to the world like as if it made you reach some bs level of high clarity or whatever. It comes off as smug and no one likes smug people.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

Honestly I really don’t care enough to try and disprove anyone with whatever they may boast about.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

i don't have a master's degree ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3459 Posts

If she says she's nice to people, helps a costumer and then makes fun of them behind their back that doesn't say anything really. Being nice to people and making fun of them are not mutually exclusive.

My thoughts when I saw the title were that it was a joke. Like you had done something really stupid and wanted to share the story with us.

Examples? I don't know, people are flawed get over it. There's something, I've heard a couple of times people say, that always cracks me up. Anything like "there's no one humbler than me" is peak lack of self awareness, and I love it.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1170 Posts

@kathaariancode: I would disagree that making fun of someone after claiming to be nice doesn’t revoke your “nice” person card. We both seem to have different standards for that, which is fine. Going from, “Hey, how are you?” To then say, “What a moron,” seems awfully hypocritical to me. There’s jest, then there’s being outright rude. I live by rule of not letting unwholesome or unhelpful words proceeding forth from my mouth. I’m not flawless at it, but I also wasn’t raised to be unkind via my words.

I’m also aware people are flawed, which id imagine you know that I already know this, but that’s not the point of the thread. I’ve simply made observations over the years of people boasting or making false claims of virtue that they act like they’re flawless with it. My thread was merely to point out an observation. :)

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3459 Posts

@mycatismilk: Yeah, but if the whole experience someone has with you is "nice and polite" then that's all there is. I imagine that much of customer service is just that, being "nice and polite" while wanting to murder people. In fact that's a skill, being able to keep being "nice and polite" regardless of what's going on inside your mind.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Hey man, my Master's Degree was hard to get. :|